Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^:arghfist:

Ariong posted:

Hey remember the SNL character Pat? They were androgynous.

Are you laughing yet? No? Well too bad, because that’s THE WHOLE JOKE. They did like a hundred of those things. Thare was a Pat movie. What the gently caress was the movie about?

I don't know what the movie was about. I thought the funny part of Pat sketches wasn't laughing at the character, but rather laughing at the increasingly frustrated people trying to fit him/her into a definite category and failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Not a TV episode, but I was thinking about Weird Al recently and one of his songs, The Night Santa Went Crazy has aged badly in that no one in the US of twenty years ago knew that "gyped" was a racial slur. There's probably some other stuff with the same problem.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kunster posted:

Or come across Romani People in general. I remember someone honestly thinking it was a fantasy race of some sort!

This reminds me that narwhals really exist.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm surprised Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" still gets as much airplay considering the gay slur in it.

A lot of the time there will be an odd audio skip on the vocals around that point.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I enjoy gender swapped "Baby it's cold outside"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sir Lemming posted:

Well if you want to go down that rabbit hole, surely "baby" would have to be even creepier.

The somewhat disturbing fact is that 99% of our terms of endearment make us out to be either pedophiles or cannibals for whatever reason.

Baby has gotten somewhat normalised, so I think little girl sounds much creepier. It's got Big Bad Wolf vibes.

I like to use random nouns. Every so often there's one that goes over badly*, but it's all part of the fun.
*teacup pig

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Klinger's entire character is offensive too

It's shocking that such a problematic show is still in syndication

Know what else is offensive? The draft.

By 1950s standards, he was acting crazy as gently caress. At no point did he express gender dysphoria.

I may be missing :thejoke:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mash is like the complete opposite of TV series that didn't age well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjy7uUn7fc

I'm going to assume this is the chicken thing, which is, in fact, not real but only a fever dream I had as a child.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Mash holds up because it is still watchable and funny. It is not a show about mentally healthy people.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

I saw that MASH episode when I was like 12 and I didn't react to it even half as bad then as some of you are now. I'd hate to think of what would happen if you watched something like Dear Zachary.

I saw it when I was 12-ish and it haunted me for weeks.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Not his best work, but I'll always remember he was in this:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, Deep Throat made over 100 million and most of that was in the 1970's, so think $400 million in 2017 dollars.

Is...is it worth seeing?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mu Zeta posted:

Syfy used to run 4 hours of Stargate on Mondays.

That's 6 days too short

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you want to make yourself sick, walk down the Valentine's day aisle at CVS and look at the piles and piles of crap being made from the finite resources of the planet.

Captain Planet hasn't aged well, because it's clear he lost on basically every front. Hatred and capitalism win, forever.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

food court bailiff posted:

i bet the love life of this guy who came into the old tv thread to bitch about valentines day is really good & healthy lmfao

It's just the holiday that's on display atm. Candy, cards, flowers:all fine. 12 inch statues of Mickey Mouse with hearts and giant heart pillows and eight different kinds of licensed character valentines stuffed animals (that aren't even soft): bleh. Where do people go with this stuff? I think most of it gets thrown away. It will be the same for St. Patrick's day or whatever's next.

I watched Planet of the Apes today and Charleston Heston was smoking on a space ship. Also, the girl on the spaceship was there to be constantly pregnant the rest of her life.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tiggum posted:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a really good movie buried within an incredibly long and tedious one. I'm pretty sure you could improve the whole thing just by cutting it down to essentially just the good bits.

Then again, I find most modern TV to be unwatchably slow. Particularly on commercial TV where they spend half the runtime recapping what happened before the last commercial break and previewing what's about to happen after the next commercial break.

I used to think it would be a good idea if they offered unpadded reality TV. Then I realized anyone who really cared wouldn't be watching it in the first place.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Goddamn, you should see anime. There's a reason all the remotely worthwhile ones are like, 20 episodes max. And how much they were able to cut out of Dragon Ball Z to get rid of the filler and padding.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Iron Crowned posted:

Lets be honest here, TV as a whole was terrible through the 80's. I mean some shows like Star Trek or I Love Lucy* are fondly remembered, but for every one of those you had a bunch of ridiculous garbage that went on for years.

I think part of it does stem from TV's origins in radio, and up through the 70's you had the prime demographic including people who tuned into live radio broadcasts and wanting easily digestible 30 minutes of "easy" humor.

In that vein, Guy Lombardo and The Royal Canadians, a very popular jazz musician (although much maligned among jazz fans), was the main entertainment for New Year's eve broadcasts for nearly 50 years, because he started before TV. I think it's the 1975 recording of their performance of For Auld Lang Syne that you still hear to this day.

You never went back to your *.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Len posted:

Pick I'm not autistic as gently caress but the only way Shining Time could have been more rad when I was a small child was if it had dinosaurs in it.

This show seems incredibly pandering.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Stairs posted:

Answer option one: They're just too polite to say no.
Answer option two: There's a "good end" of sex slavery?

9 out of 10 people enjoy gangbangs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ambitious Spider posted:

Trap sprung!

The real divide happens about midway through the sixth season.my theory is Amy Sheridan knew she was getting booted and wrote the show into a corner. Whether it was out of spite or she had an answer either way she took it with her.

Could you remind me what happened? I don't want to open that box with my wife around...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

oldpainless posted:

I don’t like Malcolm in the middle. Tried a few episodes and thought it sucked every time and during conversation if people profess to liking it it lowers my opinion of them.

More like oldJaneless

I didn't like it either, though. Hit too close to home.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Der Kyhe posted:

We should celebrate the show for being so good, that even the casted asshats, unstables and crazies managed to produce quality stuff.

Like Babylon 5.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is The Lumberjack Song still allowed?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Every minority has another minority they like to poo poo on. It's hosed up.

People who write erotic versions of Star Trek, where all the characters are furries, like Kirk is an ocelot or something, and they put a furry version of themselves as the star of the story.

I sometimes wonder if there is a bottom rung to the ladder of society, and I think it might be coprophiliacs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
She should have mailed some plans directly to an engineer, who could then bypass the whole process.

And no, I can't keep myself from doing this.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've been upset for a while that the news people ruined a perfectly good Egypt/cat name when they could have found a different acronym.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

christmas boots posted:

They didn't even have to look very far, ISIL would have been fine (and possibly more accurate)

Right?!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^ there's no way I can pack as fast as they scan, so when I'm finally done packing, the cashier has been standing there, waiting for me to pay.

I enjoy getting my stuff bagged because it's almost always done competently and leaves me free to focus on paying, letting all of us get out of there faster.

Also, I will never use self checkout because the store is already severely understaffed and I want to support people being employed.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Jan 10, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

sassassin posted:

But you can't pay until everything's been scanned. There's a big window of time to be bagging your fruits and vegetables.

It's not like the employees get to go home faster. Only you. This whole drat system reeks of inequality.

Well first I need to put in my phone number so I get the club card "savings", and then I can start the payment process by putting my card in the slot, and by that time all my stuff is bagged anyway.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Torquemada posted:

I can pack faster and more accurately than any convenience store motherfucker on earth and have my debit card ready to pay at the same time. Plus if you pack your own stuff, you can make sure toothpaste doesn’t end up in the fridge bag.

Convenience stores are different. In the grocery store the checkouts aren't even designed for you to pack your own stuff. You either need to awkwardly reach over and around the coin dispenser or move to the end where the bagger stands, and if you do that, you have to move back to the card scanner, squeezing past your cart both times.

Also, lol if all your bags aren't freezer bags.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Oh my God, she got him

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Where's the line between censoring the past rifftracks and Spielberg replacing the guns in ET with walkie talkies?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Northern Exposure.

Oh, and the West Wing is pretty good.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't really understand this inability to separate the artist from the art. Michael Jackson was hosed up, but that doesn't suddenly make Thriller a bad song.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jedit posted:

Indeed. Highlander: the Series was an early adopter of "kill a lead character meaninglessly", but it was for reasons beyond their control rather than attempts to shock. First Duncan's Parisian mentor Darius had to be written out at the end of S1 after Werner Stocker died suddenly of a brain tumour aged just 38. Then as production began on S2 Alexandra Vandernoot fell pregnant and had to be written out because for obvious reasons they couldn't write the pregnancy into the show.

She was held captive by a villain and they couldn't write a pregnancy into the show?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jedit posted:

Alexandra Vandernoot

I already responded to this post, but I reread it and noticed the WASPiest name I have ever heard.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nope, that's definitely Patroon.

I've never heard that term before but it seems to fit. Amazing how different things are one state over.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Absurd Alhazred posted:

New Yorkers get REALLY offended if you suggest that New York is part of New England.

I'm looking up from down in Pennsylvania where we don't have lots of huge estates of any kind.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MrUnderbridge posted:

Ok, now I'm picturing a superhero with a meth problem, regressive politics and very poor decision making skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

oldpainless posted:

That’s actually worse

More like olddickless.