Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

ToxicFrog posted:

That's every relationship in /r/relationships, though. Like, the message you get from there isn't "poly relationships are bad", it's "all relationships are bad, and humanity was a mistake". People in happy, stable relationships don't post in /r/relationships (or if they do, they don't show up in the thread here).

Yeah, a relationship help forum isn't going to give you a good impression of relationships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rat Race? The end of Rat Race is basically a Smash Mouth music video. There's a bunch of late 90s / early 00s conedy films where the band playing the soundtrack single shows up. I don't know if it was consciously emulating 1950s teen movies but it's not aged well, because it was almost always ska bands.

The last shot of every movie should be accompanied by "All Star" kicking in. It would be much funnier.

Would have been interesting in Schindler's List

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, the Simpsons joke about President Lisa inheriting a financial crisis from President Trump was a reference to his abortive presidential campaign in 2000 as the Reform Party candidate, wasn't it? (He ran on a platform promoting universal healthcare.)

It was a reference to Trump being a lovely businessman known mostly for his high-profile bankruptcies

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guy Mann posted:

The joke of Homer coming up with justifications for not paying for something he loves so much has actually gotten better because one of the big arguments people used to justify piracy was that they would pay if they were allowed to only pay for the channels they want instead of having to buy bundles of channels they don't watch for the one they do, and now that alacarte TV channels are finally a thing those people just come up with a new excuse and continue to not pay.

There's actually pretty decent evidence that the creation of paid online streaming services put a major dent in piracy

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

bitterandtwisted posted:

Britain was never good.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's Elizier Yudkowski, who thinks you should give him money so his Harry Potter fan fiction can save the world.

No, Musk is one of those people too

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you cite this?

A Joke (Goon, 2018)

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

sassassin posted:

Boyle is the wet best friend character.

Gina is Andy.

They have almost nothing in common. If anything I would say Boyle is closer to Leslie

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

sassassin posted:

The characters fill the same broad story functions rather than specific character traits.

You've got the eccentric lead who loves their job, the stern boss passing wisdom, a dedicated best friend, wacky office moron, aloof office commentator, the character(s) it's okay to bully etc.

It's the same colouring book with nicer crayons.

Those are some super vague descriptions

E:Who's the wacky office moron if Boyle is taken?

E2: none of those match amy or terry so I'm guessing one of them?

Gum has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Mar 8, 2018

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

SpacePig posted:

Wacky Office Moron is shared by Boyle and Jake. Terry is Competent But Eccentric 2nd Boss.

It actually just occurred to me that my earlier post on this is slightly wrong, because Amy is "Love interest who works there and is good at their job", which also makes her part Ben.

At this point we're several miles from parks and rec

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

AnoHito posted:

Iirc, it wasn't so much that that they wouldn't have done it as it was that people back then didn't understand diseases well enough to do it.

I will try to inocculate [sic] the Indians by means of Blankets that may fall in their hands, taking care however not to get the disease myself. As it is pity to oppose good men against them, I wish we could make use of the Spaniard's Method, and hunt them with English Dogs. Supported by Rangers, and some Light Horse, who would I think effectively extirpate or remove that Vermine.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

SEX BURRITO posted:

Umm, no. It’s not like that at all. Yes, there are certain cities that are associated with certain cultures, like Luton is seen as being somewhere with a lot of Asians because they make up about 20% of the population. But in general it’s pretty mixed.

This is something I think a lot of Americans tend to miss. Aside from a few individual neighbourhoods, Britain is split between areas which are completely White British and areas that are only mostly White British. The irony of it all is that the people from more mixed areas tend to be pretty happy with immigration and multiculturalism but these areas only make up a small portion of the country, and the rest of Britain absolutely hates everything to do with it

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Araenna posted:

Yeah, that's just like America? Like, do you think every city and town in America has a perfect mix of all races and cultures?

No but I was under the impression that there are a decent number of majority minority areas? In Britain the 'ethnic' areas are the ones that are only 60% White British

Gum has a new favorite as of 03:10 on May 2, 2018

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If it's anything it's all the time I spent dealing with narcissists. I read that narcissism is becoming so common that there are psychologists arguing that it shouldn't be considered a disorder anymore. This attitude of "absolutely never forgive anything ever" is something abusers do and I've been seeing that pattern increasing in society. The rise of social media has seriously amplified it. American society has been going increasingly insane overall.

My therapist keeps reminding me that I am wracked with guilt not because of things I did but because of things that were done to me. Maybe that factors, maybe it doesn't, but I've dealt with entirely too much "I'm going to use this against you for the rest of your existence. This makes you lesser than me" in my life. I'd rather not talk about the details of what was done to me so don't ask.

Forgiveness sticks out in my mind as there is a lot of poo poo I need to let go of for the sake of my own mental health. It seems to me that American society has gotten far too quick to hate and far too slow to forgive. It's like that saying goes; "clinging to anger is like taking poison and hoping somebody else will die."

Of course I also feel like I have to appease people who don't like me so that's something I also have to fix. Yes, I'm a hideous mess trying to sort out serious issues, yes I'm in therapy, and yes I did :sever: from the lovely people.

Tiggum posted:

This is starting to seem like it's a bit personal for you. Whatever you did, no one owes you forgiveness. There is nothing you can do that will make people give you a second chance, and there never will be. People are allowed to dislike you.

loving bullseye

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
i dont think there ever was a time when nuclear technician was considered a crappy job

e: fight club is a great example of this though. a man has a stable 9-5 job that pays enough to support his hobby of buying furniture he doesnt need and this is a bad thing because it's 'boring'? fuckers had no idea how good they had it

Gum has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Oct 11, 2018

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
the queer as folk talk reminds me of when the creator was hired as the showrunner for dr who and tviv would complain constantly about him including gay characters in the show

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Sweevo posted:

The problem was that it felt horribly shoehorned in. Visibility is good, but the way of doing that kind of thing is to either mention it offhand like any other relationship and not make a big deal of it, or to make it a big deal in order to get a point across. But he wanted it both ways, so a character would announce that they were gay and the episode would stop dead so everyone could react. And then it would be entirely inconsequential to the story and never mentioned again. Either make it normal or don't, but don't have a scene grind to a halt so that one person can say "I... am GAY!!!!" while mugging for the camera, followed by four people exchanging looks if you're just going to then carry on as if it never happened.

the phrase "gay agenda" was thrown around a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
its because every single one of those designs looks terrible