Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

EDIT: So this is the scene of course:

Here's a better version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoub6WFaM2w&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Season three was always bad. I've been saying ever since I first watched it that the show should have ended with the second season.

People would always respond "oh, it's not as good as the first two, but it's still good" and nope, they were wrong. It was bad.

At least nobody is foolish enough to debate the failure of season 4. Anything from that season that isn't David Cross is terrible.

I heard they were making a season 5. I legit don't know if it actually every came out, because I lost all interest in the show. Didn't even watch the chronologically reedited season 4 when it came out.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

What are the odds Harvey Weinstein demanded that he be absolutely buff?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rewinding to Fred talk: the weirdest thing for me is that the Buffy-verse had established that an afterlife, including actual Heaven, is a thing. Then when Fred's body is taken over by Illyria they explicitly state that her soul is destroyed so none of that for her; just oblivion.

Like that seemed needlessly cruel. Both to Fred and to Wesley.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

he hires Walt and keeps indulging him despite the fact that Walt is an unhinged moron who brings absolutely nothing of value to the table.

He brings the blue meth to the table, and that stuff seemed to be pretty valuable. There were multiple plot lines that hinged around Gus trying to get somebody else who could make it for him, like Gail and Jesse. That's why to me the only action Gus ever did that didn't make any sense to me was murder his thug who had watched Walt enough to learn the recipe.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Jesse literally explains why at the end of the episode.

I didn't mean "doesn't make sense to me" in that I didn't understand his logic. I meant it in that I disagree with his logic.

Why does Gus think this thug is less reliable than Gail or Walt or Jesse? He trusts him enough to guard the laboratory, but not enough to work there?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

He's a thug, not a chemist.

Again, Jesse.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Because he was identified at the scene of a murder and now he is a massive liability to keep hidden because now he is known and sought by the law enforcement agencies. And had something to do with a murder Gus was also connected to.

Fair point.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

I've never seen any of the Law and Orders--which is the best?

Classic. Start from the beginning and stop once Jerry Orbach leaves.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I literally don't remember which television show it was on, because he's been in so many of them, but there's a scene where some punk that they're interrogating misreads Detective Munch's badge as "defective monk", and that has been my Diablo necromancer name ever since.

I think it was the crossover between Homicide and classic Law & Order.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Oh, you mean the best scene there has ever been or will ever be on any TV show ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

I personally think it's rivaled by the scene in CSI where they're interrogating a suspect in an MMO, and the character's avatar makes a break for it, so they have a chase scene. In the MMO.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I haven't seen that one but it sounds amazing. :allears:

I tried to find it for you, but the only source I found linked a video that's private, so have this gem instead.

https://youtu.be/hkDD03yeLnU

Edit: Looked some more and managed to find it, but it's on Ebaums World so yuck. https://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/the-show-csi-ny-hard-at-work-trolling-gamers/81459669/

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 15:25 on May 9, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Keanu Reeves' best performance is as a dog faced boy in the cinematic triumph Freaked.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Easy to work with, quality output, doesn’t gently caress children. Pick two.

John K has none of them.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Old Joke posted:

There was a man who worked on an airforce base. He wasn't military or anything, but he still worked there as a civilian.

One odd thing about this man is that he was always walking out the base with wheelbarrows full of sand. The guards got suspicious, and they started looking through the sand trying to find if he was stealing anything.

Of course, they found nothing, but every few days, the man kept leaving with wheelbarrows full of sand.

Several years later, the old man retired, and as he was leaving, a guard walked up to him and said "Alright, how did you do it?"

"How did I do what?"

"We all knew you were stealing, how did you hide them in the sand?"

"I wasn't hiding anything in the sand, I was stealing the wheelbarrows."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The creator of My Name Is Earl created an account on the Television Without Pity forum under an alternate identity, and posted on the boards for like a solid year just so they could have that account belong to a character who dies in an episode of the the show.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of how there's practically a whole cliche about shows that play up a female character as being strong and badass and can kick as much rear end as the boys but never actually demonstrates it, and in fight scenes she either gets taken out instantly, disabled by some plot device or in a comical sexy catfight with the designated evil chick.

Here. Have a double dose of Charlize Theron as an antidote to that poo poo.

https://youtu.be/Vcgn4EY5_S8

https://youtu.be/rAXrcFBJXjM

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Same. There's an episode of Harvey Birdman which is (IIRC) an in-universe documentary about one of the characters who always wears an eyepatch. In the documentary he has two functioning eyes but is constantly doing stuff that makes it look like he's seconds away from losing one.

There's an entire running gag bordering on a subplot about a guy losing his hand in Hot Tub Time Machine.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of an r/relationships or possibly E/N story of a guy who browbeat his wife into opening their relationship to pursue a coworker who turned out to be a lesbian, and of course it goes the usual route where she's getting laid all the time and he's getting nothing.

Was it Anthony Burch?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Ann Coulter one loops around to bring great, because unlike the Beiber one they don't pretend she's in on it. It's obvious that nobody on stage is joking or doing this in a loving way. It's pure hatred spewed at a monster for an hour.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Where does that fit into the Mrs. Columbo canon?

I believe it's the only mention ever of her first name.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Tom Hardy was insufferable on the Fury Road set

While this is true he has been openly regretful and apologetic about this. It was an extremely difficult shoot and he didn't "get" the film until he saw it complete.

Not excusing his behavior, but he'd likely be better in a hypothetical sequel.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Modern doctor who has like 1/8 good episodes, 3/8 bland episodes, and 1/2 loving awful episodes. Some of the good episodes really make me want to like the show, but I gave up on it around season 4 or 5 because of the many, many abysmally bad episodes.

It does have an episode where a guy face-fucks a paving stone, so there's that.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I occasionally remind my mother "rugs are oriental, people are Asian"

There's no malice, she's just old. Tough to shake what you heard all growing up and well into adulthood

There was a surreal moment in my childhood when the family sat around horrified as my grandma and grandpa had an argument about what the current correct term for black people was.

God bless them they were trying to say the right things, and they did know enough to never use the hard n word, but Grandpa's earnest insistent that "you can't say negro, but I'm pretty sure colored is still ok" just demonstrated how little chance there was of setting them straight.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The show is so mean spirited that the fans even referred to themselves as Glee-tards. They couldn't even give themselves a name without punching down.

Edit: This is wrong.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jul 30, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Okay, I just googled around a bit and apparently the term is real but it was used by other people online to insult Glee fans.

I never gave enough of a poo poo about the show to either hate it or watch it, so I just remembered hearing the term and I misattributed it. My apologies.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Now I want some Gulab Jamun. :(

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, you might recall that story from this page of this thread.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Side note: There's an X-Men story about a telepathic mutant with forgetfulness powers, and it's unironically amazing.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/wTnQF

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It's... competent, I guess. I'm not amazed though. What is it that's supposed to be so good about it?

Well, all art and media will resonate differently depending on the consumer. I found the story amazing because I'm a huge believer in the concept that we die two deaths, one when our body dies and one the last time somebody ever remembers us. Questions like "do we even matter if nobody knows/remembers us" are high on my insomnia list.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sucrose posted:

Yeah wtf was up with the '70s and the casual pederasty?

https://youtu.be/T9awpv5BnSc

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

Michael Chabon wrote the best Spider-Man movie,

I just double-checked, and he did not, in fact, write Into the Spider Verse.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does make the 90s antihero Venom actually work, with the iconic imagery

Except the chest logo. :bahgawd:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

bobjr posted:

Topher Grace leaving That 70’s Show to do movies also resulted in that having one of the worst final seasons of a tv show

I know you said "one of" but in a world with Dexter and Game of Thrones I can't even entertain other shows as having "worst final seasons".

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

letthereberock posted:

I remember Robot Chicken had a funny sendup of the whole thing.

“The Olsen twins - they’re legal man!”
“Dude, you’re 36”

https://youtu.be/xkvggF3laSE

(Apologize that it's somebody recording their TV. Only version of the clip I could find.)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

In 2008 i worked with a guy who was joining the marines because "I hate school and they'll teach me to kill people" I can't remember his name but I always wonder what came of that guy

Last I heard Trump pardoned him.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Friends was drat near exclusively straight and white. Apart from Ross's one black and one Asian girlfriends there were no other non-white people sho got screen time that I can remember.

https://youtu.be/oUc0vbSlanM

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/v5RZ8k6iQik

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean then it doesn’t make sense to frame it if it’s day.

Though your point seems to be it wasn’t of its day but specifically not of its day so I don’t know why the time frame would change it

Something that's purposefully lamp shading or subverting the tropes of its day will be just as much of its day because of the tropes of its day.

Bizarro is defined by Superman.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

But like Nazis are bad is still mainstream now, so it would theoretically still work today.

I don't disagree with you on this particular example, but the concept is sound.

Edit: Although, based on current political events, I'm not so certain Nazis being bad is still the mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mine: https://youtu.be/RS2vNeOg_N4