Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SVU, was that the show that had the episode where not-Paula Deen shot not-Trayvon Martin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Did anything ever elaborate on why he chose to go by the same name as his dog? Was it like a childhood phase where he just liked the sound of it and named everything namable "Indiana" and it just kinda caught on?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

*Young Henry Jones Jr watching a performance of The Music Man* "Hmm, yes, this will be my new identity."

"What, Gary?"

"No that's dumb, what the gently caress kind of name is 'Gary'?"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Paris Hilton is also a decent DJ. She’s not going to win any awards or anything, but she puts a lot of effort into it as a craft. As much as I also want to go EAT THE RICH on her, she has always seemed to have business savvy and the ability to work for what she wants to do, and I can respect that.

Paris Hilton is FAR from the worst spoiled/abused reality show celebrity scion of hotel moguls :chaostrump:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It is an interesting contrast between Godzilla-esque kaiju movies and their direct ancestors and contemporary counterparts, the Giant Radioactive Mutant Animal movie from the 50s, things like Them! or The Beginning of the End or Tarantula or The Black Scorpion, or even Godzilla's direct inspiration, the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. Both genres usually contain all-knowing scientists and steely-eyed generals in over their heads and maybe a reporter love interest, but the American ones seemed to age rather worse, even the ones with comparable special effects.

I wonder if it's a tone thing, where one has more of a sense of mankind overcoming its follies kinda neutering the threats of the monsters even as they're rampaging through some relatively depopulated area and maybe wracking up a death toll in the hundreds, where 1954 Godzilla is shocking in its realistic brutality to the point of being almost incomprehensible that a single animal could do all this.

The giant radioactive bugs aren't killed because it's like a small-town sheriff trying to blow it up with dynamite, they're in over their heads trying to contain a nuisance. Kaiju aren't killed because they're unkillable, like a hurricane or a volcano or an animistic god. It's a bit more timeless than "anxiety about nuclear energy"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

Was watching that 70s movie Time after Time where Malcom McDowell plays Victorian-era HG Wells chasing Jack the Ripper to modern San Francisco. Of course a modern woman falls for this timid Victorian gentleman and starts to make out with him at her apartment. In regards to his shyness she blurts out “I feel like I’m practically raping you!” which, uh was a really weird line.

Fun movie otherwise through.

From what I know of HG Wells' personal life, him being "sexually timid" is more unrealistic than the time travel

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Lol dead dads are such deadbeats.

Well one of the central conceits of Dragonball is that the titular Dragonballs can raise the dead, yeah that's limited to once a year but it kinda trivializes the idea of death as a consequence or impediment. Like all those people Vegeta killed in the Buu Saga? All back to life. Hell, Buu killed literally every human being on Earth and they were all fine the next day. Goku was only dead at the time because the last time he died and someone tried to bring him back he refused. This works to make Vegeta's Bad Dad habits (committing massacres) a bit more mild, while making Goku's absentee dad schtick less excusable.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

At least Stiller lampshades that with his end speech about how it's easy to make fun of him now that he's fat. And I guess the whole thing's supposed to be ironic because he's being mocked in the same way he mocked other people before.

Is it okay to mock Lowtax for undergoing an identical transformation post-sale? Last I heard he was livestreaming himself eating mayo out of the jar with his fingers

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao: That wouldn't surprise me, how many transphobic slurs was he spewing?

No idea, I'm not one of the less than a thousand people who still watch Gaming Garbage

Kirk Vikernes posted:

During his last Gaming Garbage he explained how the drop in Patreon money was really hurting him financially and had resorted to eat whatever he had on hand. Then, at one point he started eating mayo straight from the jar. He's picked up a lot of weight presumably from eating his remaining Goldbelly stash. He put himself in the situation, though.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Speaking of James Herbert, wow The Fog did not age well. Or maybe it just sucked from the beginning. It's mostly long descriptions of rape with a special digression for :nms: a pedophile schoolteacher who has the children whip him and cut off his dick with hedge trimmers. Also a lesbian who tries to drown herself, changes her mind at the last second, and is then trampled into the sea by waves of people behind her. Just disgusting, lurid garbage.

Was that the one where the guy hopped up on psychosis-fog got so pissed off at his car stalling that he raped the gas tank? And somehow that made the car work again?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

AoT does seem fairly anti-fascist in its leanings, but it does that thing a lot of Japanese stuff does where it uses a lot of fascist and vaguely Nazi-esque imagery because they think it looks cool. Not to say Japan is unaware of Nazi atrocities, but they seem a bit more inclined sometimes to see western fascist iconography as "that cool style the Germans were into back in the 40s."

Anime also seems to occasionally flirt with the "Jewish people are a cabal of secret world-controlling blood sorcerers" thing, largely I suspect because Japan has like, a cartoonishly miniscule Jewish population so they don't have the cultural context that makes the cool fantasy worldbuilding in a vacuum really really offensive. Doesn't excuse it, obviously, but still.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Perestroika posted:

That touches on the one thing I that I actually ended up catching about the whole AoT thing. Apparently the people who are related to the first Titans (and can in turn potentially turn into Titans) are very explicitly coded as 1930s Jews, complete with being forced into ghettoes and made to wear star-shaped insignia distinguishing them. And, well, "these people are an intrinsically different monstrous race who may pass as regular people but could easily destroy your society from within" is a super bad look in that context. :chloe:

It's essentially X-Men in that regard, with the "what if minorities actually were as potentially dangerous as nutjob bigots say they are," with all the accompanying pitfalls of that metaphor being kinda :yikes: but everyone's mutant power is "turn into a Meat Mecha when you inject them with the special sauce"

Eren Jeager is basically Magneto at this point.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The United States posted:

To build more machines, of course

Really it's probably this. Skynet got all the nukes and flying drones and killbots with gatling guns once it took control of the military and Judgement Day'd everyone, but not sure how many of its initial subordinates had, ya know, actual hands to build more robots.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vandar posted:

At least we can all take refuge in the fact that no one will ever try to say that After MASH is good.

What's the thread's opinion on the Monster Mash though?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

They made the Duck Press.

You take a whole cooked duck, press the juices out, all the fat, umami salty greasy goodness, even the bones crunch open releasing the marrow stew and then you pour that over some more cooked meats.

This isn't as unwholesome as Ortalan, cuz at least the duck is already dead, but still doesn't disprove the notion the French are decadent ghouls

the_steve posted:

Yeah, lobster cracks me up because I remember reading about how it used to be fed to inmates and they were claiming human rights violations over it.

But yeah, then enough assholes with money realized it's amazing with butter garlic and lemon and now it's only for rich people and the mythical welfare queens who exist in Republican's heads.

It's definitely better when it's not unrefridgerated and just ground into a slurry shell and all, yes

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I get annoyed when I watch an old western and it turns out that the protagonist is a former Confederate soldier. I end up cheering for the villain most of the time. The Outlaw Josey Wales is the most recent example but there are a lot of Westerns that show Confederates in a sympathetic light. Pretty weird!

God, I remember an episode of The Rifleman that had Chuck Conners try and teach his son tolerance and acceptance by hiring on a shell-shocked former Confederate soldier as a farmhand, and I think even defended him from a posse of former Unionists hunting him down to settle some score. Because nothing engenders tolerance than giving aid to Confederates! :downs:

I mean, I guess it depicted the guy more in a "man broken by a war he didn't believe in that will haunt him forever" kinda way instead of being some noble hero, but still, weird mixed message.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Okay yeah the episode probably treated the subject matter with more nuance and deftness than I'm giving it credit for here, it's been a million years since I saw that episode on cable and the current topic half-jogged the hazy recollection.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Casnorf posted:

It was more your casual dehumanization, whether the episode handled it adeptly or not.

...good point, especially when we're talking about something specifically about NOT dehumanizing people, even your former enemies, and my kinda breezy summary was in poor taste.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

fartknocker posted:

I think Quagmire started off as a ladies man/swinger type, as I think his early stuff was just parties and hitting on everyone. It quickly evolved to him being a pervert in various ways and then into a full on rapist, certainly by the time the show was revived from cancellation. The previously mentioned joke with all the Asian women escaping from his house (With him mentioning their tagged like pets) I’m pretty sure is from Airport ‘07 in season 5, and it’s around the same time they began with plenty of jokes about how his house had exaggerated machines that would automatically drug women and hold them down and whatnot, which they’ve repeatedly gone back to over the years (For example, the Valentine’s Day episode when he’s turned into a woman).

I mean, even in the first season or two there was a bit where Quagmire opens a bathroom stall door, sees a tied up and gagged cheerleader, and goes "Dear Diary: Jackpot :quagmire: "

Dude was always rapey

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Man, why can't these scam scifi cults ever preach nice progressive things along with all the money-grubbing and indoctrination? It's always old-timey racism and repression and pedophilia.

Like yeah, our prophet is a space dinosaur who fled the asteroid (actually the wrath of Satan) on a spaceship to another planet and now he's back and wants your life savings, also it's okay to be gay and all cultures are valid

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Koi are even more nuts, supposedly the record is 226 years https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/koi-hanako-longest-living-fish-ever

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Crowetron posted:

What's the Canadian prison etiquette for if someone calls you late to dinner?

Shanked with a sharpened poutine fry

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Beyblade gave us Moses parting the Red Sea with a beyblade https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsfJJpwXTXw

This will forever be the single funniest moment in anime history, at least to me

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm gonna have a controversial hot take here:

Chinatown isn't that great. Or at least not great enough to excuse child rape.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

I wonder if the better approach to the blackface aspect of Tropic Thunder would be to just literally have a black actor play the role. There's really only one scene where the fact that it's actually RDJ under the makeup is important (when he removes the makeup) but that can just be handled with good makeup or sfx and careful camera work. Really the only drawback there would be that it's NOT RDJ in that role, but there were plenty of black actors of similar fame around at that time

No no no, the way you do it is have the character played by an actual black guy, then have a scene of him taking a cloth to wash off the "makeup," do a reaction cut-away to everyone looking on, then cut back and it's RDJ saying "yeah, it was REALLY convincing makeup, right?"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"Spoilers" as a concept were invented by the studios to keep word of mouth about dumb plot twists from rapidly spreading and depressing opening weekend turnout.

Debase yourself and face to bloodshed

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

For the record, I do try and respect other peoples' spoiler policies in conversation, because even though I don't feel it I understand that OTHER people can have a visceral anguished negative reaction to having the surprise ruined for them.

That being said, at least in some people that might be a learned, trained reaction to the benefit of hack screenwriters covering their asses

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It still confuses me that Joker has henchmen like a mob boss. Like who looks at the Joker and goes "yeah, this is my meal ticket, right here"? Surely there's easier bosses to work for if you're a low-level career criminal type.

Is it a Manson Family kinda thing and they're just drawn to his charisma?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Of the Goteborg Deathskins?

EDIT: viking snipe.

No, the New Hampshire Deathskins

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

Elder Scrolls also has two kinds of underground elves, one of which are albino and iirc eyeless, the Falmer.

Weren't they horribly mutated into that state by the Dwarves, who are the other kind of underground elf?

(so many kinds of goddamn elves and they're ALL assholes in subtly different ways...)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

pretty soft girl posted:

I dont know if I'd want to see a full movie of it but I've always wanted to see an inversion of the plot where ghosts aren't real and the Ghostbusters are legitimately deliberate dangerous conmen instead of well-meaning dangerous borderline conmen

Wouldn't even need to change venkman's character for it to work

That's just every episode of Scooby Doo, though

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wasn't there something about his girlfriend at the time being a secret North Korean spy or whatever?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Just had an idea for a sitcom. You take a modern-day unibomber. Real Ted Kaczynski. But he's like, real bad at it. Bombs never go off, plan always goes wrong etc. Anyway yada yada, he ends up being roommates with a TikTok influencer.

Isn't that just TheDonald.win?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

yeah Dale would think anyone who talks about their conspiracy theories on the news is secretly a government plant. He would also be the only dude not to vote for Trump because someone with all that money and hot wives (not as hot as Nancy of course) is on some secret payroll. And he's probably a robot, because no human could have hair that nice.

Boomhauer doesn't talk politics but is secretly Green Party.

Dale canonically never votes, he just heads to Mexico on Election day and does some shopping and waits to see if the government collapses before deciding whether to come back or not. That part...aged distressingly well, actually.

Boomhauer's a former Texas Ranger on a diability pension, so as a cop he probably voted Trump.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wasn't Hank literally born in the ladies' room at Yankee Stadium?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Man I'm glad Neal Adams is merely the kind of crazy where he doesn't believe in plate tectonics but is otherwise not a huge weird rear end in a top hat as far as I know

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes. Also a lot of it narrated by shirtless and hairy Bruce Wayne looking directly at the reader.

Oh it's crazier than that even

The in-universe person he's telling this story to is Clark Kent

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Groke posted:

A tiger? In Africa?

"Tiger" is used here in a colloquial way to refer in general to non-lion big cats

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The best thing about Ken Penders was after he got fired, he claimed he still had ownership of the million forgettable echidna OCs he'd been populating the comic with for like a decade. The company claimed that it was part of his contract that all his intellectual property belonged to the publisher, fairly standard clause, except when it came time to present the actual physical document in court, they... couldn't find it. It and all its copies got lost or destroyed in a fire or something, so nobody could legally prove that the publisher actually owned any non-game character Penders had created.

This led to them having to basically reboot the series as they had to make a new supporting cast, and Penders went on to try and market his own indie comic full of sexy Sonic OCs that couldn't legally have Sonic in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Turns out Spider-Man gets his superpowers from NoFap

Gotta store up the radioactivity