Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

oldpainless posted:

For those interested, the book 120 days of sodom, which is actually unfinished, gives a description of a character who never wipes his rear end so his poo poo just accumulates around his rear end in a top hat forming a thick smelly ring of feces which becomes problematic when other characters try to gently caress him in the rear end

More annoyingly, the title is incorrect. Due to weather, it ends up being 150 days. I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

Also, more like oldtearsofbloodless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Couldn't you just kinda work some spit into poop crust to remoisten it and then have anal sex with the dirty man? Feels like they should have thought of that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not an issue, for he possessed (and I quote) "an immense orifice whose enormous diameter, odor, and colour bore a closer resemblance to the depths of a well freighted privy than to an rear end in a top hat."

Its disgusting, I know, but the Oxford comma was in the translated text.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Whybird posted:

What I'm taking away from this is that Kirk Johnson is a timelord.

Listen: Kirk Johnson's rear end has come unstuck in time

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

No, EGG is talking about a different show called Action. Profit was about sociopathic corporate execs while action was an account of the abuses and excesses of Hollywood thinly disguised as comedy.

Yeah, it was Action. The main character is trying to make an action flick to come back from a major loss. It turns out the brothers own the rights for something relating to the script and they'll waive them if they can have their way with his assistant, who used to be a child star. She lets them, but it's treated as pretty traumatic. It's not just played for laughs, from memory.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

nonathlon posted:

That was a good series. She wasn't an assistant however, she was a sexworker he'd raised up to executive level, one of a series of crazy moves he made. I have a dim memory that the lead character is actually meant to be crazy, like he's had a breakdown, but he was always an rear end in a top hat. There were plenty of references to post terrible things he'd done.

You're right, I was just trying to be concise. From memory, she was brutally honest about the poo poo film that failed that kicks off the story.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

some people will pick on the failed updating by pointing out the absurdity of the main guy being a big rock star whose big hit single was "baby can you dig your man" in 1990 but there was never a time when that song wouldn't've fuckin sucked

I could hear that coming out of Jon Spencer, but lol at the Blues Explosion hitting the top of the charts.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Thranguy posted:

The weirdest part is in the other direction, how the newspapers manage to not spell it "Darkside" in universe. Is there one of his minions whose job is to dial up saying "Actually, it's DeSaad, two a's. And Apokalips has a k, an I, and no e"

I reckon Darkseid does this himself. If he can take the time to remould your lounge chair to the shape of his craggy buttocks, then he'll have the time to personally call the Daily Planet to ensure correct spelling.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was watching the original Twin Peaks and I don't know if the way David Lynch uses a man with dwarfism sits well with me. It's not explicitly demeaning, but it just seems like Lynch went "you know what would really make this scene even more otherworldly and unnerving? A dwarf, how abnormal."

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise and I know it's positively respectful compared to other portrayals in media. Hell, Austin Powers came out ten years later and I absolutely don't think that the character of Mini-Me is anything but crass mockery of people with dwarfism.

Not sure if you were thinking of this scene from Living in Oblivion:

https://youtu.be/CVBclV5ps2U

(Oh cool, didn't realise that it was Peter Dinklage. I haven't seen it since it was released.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

IshmaelZarkov posted:

My favourite soap opera - complete with ridiculous characters, storylines that make little to no sense, and a writers room pressed to keep up an insane schedule - is the WWE.

I was never into wrestling until I worked out it was a Sweat Opera.

I have almost zero interest in the wrestling bit, but large dudes in underpants speechifying at other large dudes in underpants is some of my favorite TV.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is there anything with Jason Isaacs in where Jason Isaacs isn't the best thing in it?

(tentatively I want to say The OA Season 2, because of the sheer volume of batshit insanity it was throwing around)

Maybe Event Horizon?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Stewart Lee's one of the greatest stand ups ever, check him out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkPNwSRxtM&t=180s

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

iirc, Temple of Doom was the movie that made the MPAA finally realize "huh, we might need a rating between PG and R." Because ripping out a man's beating heart might not be appropriate for children.

My 2yo and 4yo are greatly amused when I pretend to do it to them. A 2yo shouting "Kali ma" and returning the favour is pretty funny.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I’m just going to say it, but Titus Andronicus. You probably couldn’t play it as a straight tragedy, it’s just too much.

I did see it performed once as a black comedy and that worked out pretty well for the most part, although obviously what happens to Lavinia doesn’t really lend itself to that

Have you watched Titus with Anthony Hopkins? I felt that did a good job with it, leaning into the weirdness. The whole pie sequence was done rather well; an odd detail, but the pie prop itself is wonderfully disgusting.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Julie Taymor's Titus is a masterpiece and still probably my favorite film adaptation of a Shakespeare play. Beautiful visuals, incredible cast, supremely violent and darkly funny all at the same time. The way any good Shakespeare tragedy film should be.

I had to go back and watch the pie scene, and the shot of the pies cooling in the window, curtains billowing and Vivere kicks in is easily one of my favorites film moments.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One day I will write the worst book ever written. It's about a writer struggling with writer's block, who is also a college professor who is contemplating adultery with a female student half his age. There's also a parallel story about post-war Vienna for some reason.

That sounds like if Henry Miller wrote Thomas Pynchon's V.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Voyager was my entry point as a kid, but I haven't seen it since then. Considering the history behind it and Ronald Moore's frustrations writing it, I think the way it aged is highly dependant on if a viewer has seen Battlestar Galactica. Since, you know, that show takes the same major conceit of a hopeless journey but specifically does all the things Moore wasn't allowed to do on Voyager.

I like Voyager, probably because it was the Trek I actually watched at the time. Problem is, you have some pretty good characters but in a crap show.

The high points are usually when it gets super weird (like Deadlock, where Harry Kim dies, but is replaced by alternate universe Harry Kim - never mentioned again) or where someone gets to chew some scenery (Bride of Chaotica - Satan's robot is easily a top tier Voyager character).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Samovar posted:

I've stopped reading many books in my time, but Atlas Shrugged is one of the few books I remember stopping reading in disgust.

The other being Naked Lunch.

What was the issue with Naked Lunch?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's two things wrong with the title.

gently caress, just walked straight into that one.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Tiggum posted:

The problem with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man is that it wasn't based on the newspaper comic version of the character. I want a Spider-Man who's an angry moron. I want a Peter Parker who goes to the doctor with his Spider-Man costume on underneath his clothes; who buys a plane ticket as Peter Parker and shows up to the airport as Spider-Man; who barges into the TV station to debate the newsreader who said something bad about him, and loses. That's a hero I can relate to.

I would also have accepted "Super Spidey Stories" Spiderman.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Vandar posted:

So the Jack of All Trades intro is like, the best tv intro ever right?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tlews

Not while Ulysses 31 exists, but little bit where the bad guy pulls off his domino mask and he's wearing another underneath was pretty funny.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I did the first time I read it, though to be fair I was like 16. Humbert is such a clever, quick-witted character that it is possible for a reader to be taken in by him.

Nabakov does the unreliable narrator pretty well; Pale Fire has a delusioned and obsessed narrator too.

Regards Cable Guy, I haven't rewatched it since the first time in the cinema, other than Carrey's Jefferson Airplane karaoke, which is pretty amazing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I found the whole scene kind of comic in that there are almost no noble houses left. The majority of the negotiating happens between bit characters we’ve barely seen, like the psycho kid who breastfeeds at 12 and the guy who spent the whole series locked in a basement, plus Sam who is only legitimate because he’s the only member of his family still alive.

I know it’s a “happy” ending because a threat has been defeated, but it does seem like kind of a post-apocalyptic ending as well in that their society really has been hollowed out and they’re trying to move on in the smoking crater of the capitol city where millions have just been burned alive.

* a mariachi band plays the GoT theme in the burnt out ruins of Kings Landing *

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Right. Now to shop that into Mars Attacks! and then Mar Attacks! in GoT.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Versailles being the 17th century equivalent of a nerd convention is extremely funny to me and I'm sad I've never seen a movie capitalize on that, because it's always depicted as being sort of austerely classy.

Apologies, monsieur, le roi will be unable to see you today - however, you may have a free hour in the fosse à balles.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

bobjr posted:

I still wish Better Off Ted got more.

There's a business called Veridian Advisory near where I live and you know I read the sign in the Veridian Dynamics voice everytime I drive past.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

You... you mean like how in Elf Dinklage's character is like the top children's author, everyone is mortified by Buddy's ignorant behaviour, and gets his rear end beaten by Dinklage? It's a bit simple, but it sends a pretty consistent message with his other roles

I didn't realise this was Dinklage until very recently, but I definitely remembered the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVBclV5ps2U

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Narrative is the bane of video games.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Jorge Luis Borges couldn't have written a more concise story.

I play video games to wreck poo poo up, not listen to stories.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Grouchio posted:

So I finally heard about the comic Cerebus (1977-2003) by Dave Sim. Before I start reading it online, what about the series hasn't aged well?

I actually had a full read through a year or so ago to see if you can see when it goes off the rails. The cracks start showing in editorials and letters during Church and State, but the notorious male light/female void bit is in issue 186, which is mid-way through Mothers and Daughters.

You could happily avoid everything by stopping with issue 150 at the end of the Melmoth arc, but Mothers and Daughters kinda wraps the first half of the series, with the ends of a bunch of minor characters from early on in the series and Sim does a Grant Morrison and has an extended chat with Cerebus on Pluto.

There's some interesting comics work in subsequent arcs - Cerebus going nuts and having weird internal dialogues is pretty well done, but it starts getting bio-truth-y. There's a bunch of cameos from late 90's independent comics characters, which is interesting but pretty dated - anyone else remember Tug and Buster?

Sim hate-reads some American authors, gets more into the misogyny with a dash of homophobia. There's a wordy bit were Cerebus looks into Abrahamic religion with not-Woody Allen, which I'll admit I just skimmed - its where you'll probably find all the super-weird religious-based misogyny, which is then concentrated in Last Day.

Its annoying because there's some really interesting long term narrative devices that become more obvious when you binge it - the recurring "something fell" line for example - and Sim really is very creative with text and layouts.

I'd say read safely to Melmoth, then see how you go from there. Avoid editorials other than the introductions to Swords of Cerebus which are pretty amusing and give an insight to his creative process in regards to the early issues.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Grouchio posted:

..............I started with chapter 264 and just read the ending.
I only read Latter Days and the Ending.
Whoops

Well, you've read the poo poo bits, so you might as well go back and read the good stuff from the start.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Grouchio posted:

1. That latter days poo poo was the deepest spiral into spite-fueled reactionary misogynistic literature I have ever read. Wow.
2. I have not felt so proud to go agnostic in such a long time.
3. I must have the thickest skin reading this and thinking 'huh so that's what the exhaustive mind of religious bat guano looks like' without getting angry once.

1. Yeah, it's pretty impressive in that regard. It could almost be read as satire, if you had zero context.

3. I think it's so clearly crazy that it's hard to get angry. That said, once you read the early Cerebus, you'll see the change in tone from the first half to the second half of the series and probably be annoyed by the waste of talent on the crazy stuff.

I would love to know what was going through Gerhard's head as Sim slowly spiralled down the crazy drain.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Jedit posted:

I'm told they didn't talk for the last few years of the run. Gerhard just told Sim to post him the scripts and he'd return the art.

Makes sense, but is a bit disappointing. I'd had the impression that they shared a studio or something.

moonmazed posted:

lol that dude didn't know how to spell cerberus and just rolled with it

WELL ACTUALLY, Deni Loubert misspelled "cerberus"...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only time I picked up Cerebus was at a Minotaur book store in Melbourne. It was the one where the titular character sits on a ball in space, like Le Petit Prince, or something, and just talks and talks for the entire book and nothing happens.

Didn't even bother doing more than glancing through it because it came across like Ted Kaczynski had tried to draw a pig to make his manifesto more palatable to read.

Is Minotaur Books still there? I haven't been there in forever. When I was into comics in my early teens, I'd save my money and in the school holidays, Mum would take me and friends to Minotaur books and Alternate Worlds in Chapel Street to buy the comics you couldn't get at the newsagent. Good times.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember the three story store on Bourke Street. gently caress me that was awesome. Can't even find pictures of it now :(

Books in the basement, memorabilia and cards on the ground floor and comics and warhams upstairs. Everything a nerd needed.

Oddly enough, that's where I would have bought the issues of Cerebus I do have from - before the fall, that is.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can understand mixing up Moore and Grant Morrison since they are both magic users.

Vandar posted:

Both of them immediately took psychic damage upon you posting this and I have no doubt that Moore is planning on cursing you for saying such a thing.

GRANT MORRISON uses CHAOS SEX RITUAL

It is EFFECTIVE

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The United States posted:

Getting all these old british dudes with beards who think they are magicians and wrote comics at some point confused

I'm trying to think of a British comic writer who I'd actually be surprised to find out was a wizard and I'm drawing a blank.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Cleretic posted:

A bit late, but for what it's worth while they have downsized a bit thanks to the pandemic, it's still a real good store with most everything you'd want from them. Ground floor has a lot of the 'pop culture' and anime/manga stuff, downstairs are all the comics and sci-fi/fantasy novels. I wouldn't say it's all Funko Pops, although naturally that's a display that grabs a lot of people. Personally I've found they have a pretty nice collection of more unusual gunpla than you'll find at Metro Hobbies, which is fun. I haven't seen them selling Warhammer and the like, but that might just be because I haven't looked.

I hope they do, though, because the pandemic kinda blew a lot of the physical gaming scene in Melbourne to bits. Both Goodgames stores closed up, which I know basically killed the Yu-Gi-Oh scene. I dunno Warhammer, but I can't imagine it's hanging in super well.

I'll have to have a look at the gunpla if I ever make it back across the Bass Strait. I like to make every couple years or so.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What I find weird about Donald Duck is that in the comics he has normal dialogue, but in the cartoons he's incomprehensible.

The comic books, I understand, translate him from his native Finnish.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Groke posted:

A tiger? In Africa?

Yeah, they have them in Kenya.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

More like Snore-way.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The stories were obviously not originally in English. English does not have a good generic word for large predatory cat to use as a magical creature's name.

I noticed this in translations of Borges. Jaguars, panthers, leopards - all tigers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The best Marvel story about vampires is when Dracula took all the vampires to live in castles on the moon and, while they were there, Captai Britain revoked their invitation to Earth.

So, when they launched their invasion fleet of vampire space ships, and vampires launched from cannon like human inhuman cannonballs, they all burned up in Earth's atmosphere.

I've got fond memories of the What If...? where Wolverine becomes Lord of the Vampires.

While all this vampire stuff is interesting, please take the time to remember your friendly neighbourhood zuvembie.

Because the word 'zombie' was banned by the Comics Code Authority, Marvel used the word 'zuvembie', which I've just learned, was from a Robert E. Howard story.