Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If nothing else, Family Guy has some pretty good one-off gags. The Scrooge McDuck "it's a solid mass!" joke is still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

I saw a local production of Avenue Q a few years ago. It was an all-white cast. That was incredibly uncomfortable. I haven't been able to listen to the soundtrack since.

So white people make you uncomfortable? Sounds pretty racist.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The old Berserk anime ends on the worst possible cliffhanger.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Political ads unironically using "Born in the USA"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Nothing will ever top the DENNIS System.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

This is totally one of those segments near the end of an Ace Attorney case where you have to connect the dots and announce the final case-breaking fact.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Reading Pennsylvania is pronounced “Redding”

Edit: wait I read that post as saying lead as in leading. Wtf English

No it's lead as in ledding.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sorry but that story seems bogus to me. Nobody stood up and clapped at the end.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Volcott posted:

They did not tone it down in the anime. Which was bad.

The anime at least bothered to have her hair cover her bare chest.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

I don't like Always Sunny. It's about lovely people being lovely :shrug:

Always Sunny is a show about sitcom characters who somehow managed to escape into the real world.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

All I'm gonna say about Shatner is that he does not look 88.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was mentioned a while back that takes on 'boss for a day' have a mixed history in cartoons and Rocko's Modern Life probably has the best ones, Gravity Falls came to mind with Boss Mabel. While putting a twelve year old girl in charge of a business has fairly predictable results, Stan's usual methods are pretty justified; he's greedy, stingy, deceptive and never gives refunds, but given he runs essentially an overpriced tourist trap with whatever gimmicky attractions and overpriced merchandise he can find, that's about the only way he's going to reliably turn a profit, and his customers are almost entirely gullible tourists with disposable income anyway. Basically, the way the tourism business makes money. The bored teenager is absolutely going to slack off at every opportunity and Soos' enthusiasm is best restrained given he likes to put a lot of work and not much thought unto his ideas, and while it's not something explicitly mentioned since Stan steadfastly denied Gravity Falls has any supernatural phenomena, but Dipper's attempt to showcase a real supernatural creature backfires horribly because kind of a theme in the show is even the silliest supernatural creature is dangerous, and the tourists are perfectly happy with the fakes.

That said, Stan still loses the bet because his attitude doesn't really work well in every aspect of life.

Rocko hasn't aged well in the sense that it's 90's as gently caress and it shows. On the other hand, as an adult now I totally relate to Rocko having to deal with poo poo like rear end in a top hat neighbors or doing stupid tasks for your boss because he's too lazy to do them himself.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Responding to this week old post to say Lindsay Ellis is great and deserves your views.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

It's like Bill Ponderosa from Always Sunny. He's that one dude who's somehow so much worse than the main cast and it's a spectacle to watch him destroy his own life over the series.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I like when Archie met the Punisher.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The Sunny episode that probably aged the worst is the one where Dennis gets a cell phone and won't stop ooh-ing and ahh-ing at it.

Actually any episode of anything featuring a new technology is going to age badly.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

or maybe we're becoming the old out of touch pearl clutching boomers that we despise so much

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Nothing like the good honest music we listened to when we were young, right? Can you even imagine if musicians in the 80's and 90s had hosed teenage fans? Luckily its only an issue with the genres of music I personally dislike.

jokes on you i only listen to anime and game soundtracks

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

I was legitimately surprised when they quit their truth-is-in-the-middle bit for the NAMBLA episode. That's the only time I can remember that they dropped that whole shtick. Comparing trans people to dolphins was ok, playing rape in Hollywood for laughs was ok, having gay and black mouthpieces agree that discrimination is healthy and good was ok, but raping children was a step too far even for them.

I mean what, did you expect them to say something like "we should only rape half the children"?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Lurkman posted:

These are libertarians we're talking about, they probably had to restrain themselves from going on about the tyranny of age-of-consent laws.

Fair point

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Moana is great and I will fight you.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I was about to bring up the fact that the driving instructor just seemingly ignored the fact that Piccolo is a green pointy eared alien but then I remembered that their president is a dog.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

I'm pretty sure Rolf was made by Danny Antonucci as a reference to how he saw the Italian members of his family growing up. As someone else who has an Italian immigrant parent I'd say he's pretty accurate as far as "this is what second-generation immigrant kids think their foreign family is like."

I remember when I was young and first went to visit my family's house in Italy, seeing that they really did have chickens and sheep, and they really did do a lot of heavy-rear end farm labor to grow things to sell for extra money. I didn't expect Rolf to be so accurate.
Rolf is at least a better "foreign character" than the one from All That whose entire character and jokes revolved around "he's foreign".

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

jjack229 posted:

"Play it again, Sam"

Just gonna leave this here.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeamMeUpScotty

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

I'm so glad the "men being assaulted = funny" trope is dying. Wedding Crashers had a straight up rape scene that was played for laughs. Even an early Bob's Burgers has Gail molesting Bob, and Linda just laughing about it and telling him to man up. I love Bob's Burgers, but uugghh.

This is why I could never get into Love Hina because half of the jokes are just the same dude getting the poo poo kicked out of him for no reason.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

When I watched "Hero or Hate Crime" for the first time I busted a gut at hearing the f-slur come out of Danny Devito's mouth. Probably the only time ever that will actually be funny.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Jestery posted:

Just watched Simpsons S1 E10 Homer's night out

The gist is that Bart uses a tiny (film) spy camera to clandestinely takes a photo of homer dancing with an exotic dancer. This photo spreads virally through the town and publicly shames homer and Marge's relationship. Homer is told to explain his behaviour to Bart (as Marge deemed it objectifying and a bad role modelling for bart) and after searching several strip clubs to find the stripper. After finding her ,he stumbles through an attempt at introducing Bart to her and eventually gives a speech to the club's audience. Shaming them for enjoying strippers instead of the company of their wives.

Firstly, the concept of a tiny film camera is horribly out dated and if an attempt at modernization were made the concept of a spy camera would not be needed in this age of iPads and tech

Secondarily, Homer's transgression is that he was dancing with a stripper and the fact he lied about attending the stag party is only given lip service. The issue with his attendance is that a stripper was present and he danced with her. (This may be early nineties code for more transgressive behaviour on Homer's part). It's a very sex negative attitude that comes straight out of the early nineties.
"Strippers can't have a positive work experience, it must be shameful by default

Thirdly, Homer's speech about enjoying your wife's comfort over that of stripper's reeks of a time where men would routinely lie about visiting strip clubs. Which is a cultural touchstone , that as a person that exists in 2020 in Australia I could just not connect with.

If I went to a strip club and my wife found out she would be mad that I didn't take her with me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

You know, I remember a lot of people hating Lucky back in the day, but looking back...he's actually a pretty decent guy. He's supposed to be the "deadbeat white trash" yet as soon as he finds out he's gonna be a father he proposes to Luanne and buckles down to try and get a real job.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Do not compare gutter trash like Teen Titans Go to the masterpiece that is Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Teen Titans Go is better than the original series. Get over it already.

I'm not even talking about it in terms of the original series. It's just a very unpleasant thing to watch.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

difference is sunny is funny and ttg isn't

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Traditional networks in general are overplaying their most popular stuff as they struggle to stay alive in the age of streaming.

As far as TTG goes, I remember seeing one episode that was basically just one big excuse to mock people who liked the original series. If you prefer TTG and didn't like the old one at all, then fair game, but it felt incredibly mean-spirited and not at all funny. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Kaiser Mazoku has a new favorite as of 17:13 on May 23, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I had to look up what the gently caress Allen Gregory was. I don't know why but I somehow confused it with Brickleberry.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

quote:

Nat Faxon as Jeremy De Longpre, Richard's husband. Jeremy is a former social worker who had a loving wife and family, although this changed after Richard became one of his clients. Richard was attracted to Jeremy to the point where he started stalking him and his family until Jeremy finally agreed to be his husband. It is said that Jeremy is actually heterosexual but left his wife and children for Richard, who offered him an easy, no-maintenance life as his trophy husband. He is a nice guy and a bit of a pushover, and receives little to no respect from Allen or Richard.
Is this not the premise to a psychological horror?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

ok but why was that one guy a foot

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

That episode where Rocko's boss goes on vacation and Rocko has to take over for him and becomes so power-hungry and monstrous by the end that he literally turns into his boss is too real.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I like how one villain was just a businessman. No superpowers, no grand designs, just a plain and simple capitalist.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Not exactly on-topic, but I just learned about the time Harvey Weinstein told Miyazaki that they were going to have to make some edits to Princess Mononoke and so Miyazaki's producer sent Weinstein a katana with a warning not to make any cuts.

I suppose "threatening Harvey Weinstein" is an example of something that aged pretty well.

That's horrible.

He should have gone there in person with the katana and actually used it on him.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Azula's breakdown near the end of the series was disturbingly real.

Kaiser Mazoku has a new favorite as of 00:12 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

My only issue is how Toph was apparently the first person in history to figure it out. Like, no one else before her made the connection that metal is a mineral from the earth, therefore it can be bended?