Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh I think it still works actually since weirdness around "i may be accepting of the gay community but im terrified someone might think I'm gay" is still quite common.

Also, remember that the gang are supposed to be complete scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I honestly can't say I found R&M to be that great, frankly. It seems... very formulaic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Like seriously, the mother of that household was literally maude flanders, complete with ugly pantsuits and big curly hair.

Hope she got that jaundice checked out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

They were dumb. They spent all their money on fortified emplacements that were strong as gently caress except they can't move.

Which is kinda amusing, since the Soviets essentially did the same thing at the battle of Kursk and effectively won.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Brofessor Slayton posted:

He was a great scientist like Albert Einstein, Albert Einstein (no relation) and Vulcan Albert Einstein.

I remember being kinda blown away learning that one of Germany's leading music critics in the 1920-30s was Alfred Einstein.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

volts5000 posted:

It's the weaker of the four, but it's still decent. I still say "Big Ben! Parliament!" when showing the kids something interesting while on the road.

You better not say 'Big Ben' when on the road, that's the name of the bell, not the tower.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

remusclaw posted:

I love you, you love me, now approaching hour three.

Goddamn.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

drat. King Priam was centuries before his time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I remember when Seinfeld did that, but funnier.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That one episode of Archer that had Anthony Bourdain as a guest voice mentioning how it's better if people kill themselves if they're unable to do what he tells them to.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And also makes it extra funny that Smeg is a brand of appliances.

Fake slang/swears is a hard thing to do. Adventure Time and Will Save The Galaxy For Food both have mathematical terms for them respectively.

It helps that Adventure Time used 'Balzac' as a rude word.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Uruguay's sounds like it fell off the back of Rossini's truck and it rules.

I am so glad you introduced me to this.

The Swedish Nation anthem COULD be good if they just played it a bit faster.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

But they talk all funny.

So did Göring.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hah, reading this I was reminded of The Day Today, which I remember being a fantastic piece of British parody of news reporting in the 90s, and was a big jumping off point for Armando Iannuci and Chris Morris.

But every so often, you get reminded that it was from the 90s in the UK. Big time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

Goddamnit, now I miss Willie Rushton. I may need to spend the morning listening to some old ISIHAC.

He was pretty drat good, weren't he.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Look, the only thing from DarkPlace that was supposed to be ironically bad but ended up being great actually was "One Track Lover"

https://youtu.be/OO-ZGP68-3w

The part which gets me is Ayoade picking up the ice, checking that it's going to go in the glass then putting it in the glass. Most of Learner's bad acting is stupidly unsubtle, but that little bit... It takes a level of good acting to be that bad in acting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

I watched Clone High for the first time today. I had heard about all the controversy over horny Gandhi beforehand, but holy poo poo they made Genghis Khan the mentally retarded kid as a "mongoloid" joke.

Oof

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tunicate posted:

The Russian holmes series is surprisingly good.

Which one? The one that came from the Soviet era or another one?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They were never able to get Dracula and Alucard together again.

Well, that be easy, just show one of them a mirror an-

Oooooooh.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

On that note, (I was reminded by that last post and by a podcast I was listening to) the Fu Manchu stories have aged poorly.

They were always staggeringly racist, but they are SO poorly written and the main 'heros' are SO dumb that at times they read as if they are supposed to be a parody of racist pulp.

But no, it is just flat-out racist pulp.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Don Gato posted:

Fu Manchu is racist on levels that even sticks out at the time, it's quite surprising. There's literally a white Jewish character described as having "shrugged his shoulders in a fashion incongruous in one of his complexion, though characteristic in one of his name." which is quite literally only a few words from just flat out saying "he shrugged Jewishly" and this applies to every character regardless of where they're from. I expected the anti-asian racism, the anti-semitism and racism against basically everyone else was surprising to me.

Well, Sax Rohmer was British...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Fargle posted:

EDIT: The books are even worse. Don't read the Bond books. They're not good and Ian Fleming was a COLOSSAL piece of poo poo.

Also, some of the most racist poo poo I've ever read, seconded possibly only by Tarzan, Gone with the Wind, Mein Kampf and the Fu Manchu stories (which are SO racist, they read every so often as an actual parody).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Groke posted:

Are there not in the Tarzan stories at least some black African characters who are depicted as good guys?

Also, did not Burroughs write a little poem called "The Black Man's Burden" which rather shat all over Kipling? (Yes, he did. As did several other people independently of each other.)

Maybe in the later ones, and that would actually be really interesting if that was the case, 'cause in the first novel, the African tribe that Tarzan encounters are described in an extremely unpleasantly racist way, but before that their situation is detailed in that they were forced out of their native home in the Congo due to the atrocities of Belgium.

That whiplash caught me off guard in the book, and if the later books were better re. Black people maybe it is evidence of better development on his part.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Orphaned punchlines used to be a common thing to let the audience know that a character was supposed to be witty without actually showing them saying something funny. Like the one I saw in basically everything growing up, "so I said to him, 'That's no X, that's my wife'!".

Weirdly enough, I just listened to a podcast which gave the origin of that joke (it originally being 'Hey, Joe, who was that lady I saw you with last night? That was no lady, that was my wife!') as well as the origin of 'Why did the chicken cross the road?' It was from minstrel shows.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

goldenninjawarrior posted:

I wondered the other night if the Brass Eye episodes that aren't Paedo-Geddon have aged well but I'm too worried to check in case they have not.

Dunno about Brass Eye, but The Day Today has a flat-out blackface sketch (Fur-Q)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

My brother sent me her book on how to write when i was young, I read about 50 pages and then told him, this writer is so full of themselves and I have found nothing useful from her telling me how to write.

Sounds like I did a good job avoiding reading anything she has written.

I've stopped reading many books in my time, but Atlas Shrugged is one of the few books I remember stopping reading in disgust.

The other being Naked Lunch.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

What was the issue with Naked Lunch?

The orgy with the person being hanged while a person was loving them on the gallows kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Well, the Devil is a single dad last time I checked.

No, no. Satan was a lesbian.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My mum liked Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Pearl Jam.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

All the media that came out re. the U.S. invading Afghanistan.

And the UK.

And the 'coalition of the willing'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Wow somebody isn’t having a zippity doo dah day

More like ol'-Mr.-Bluebird-on-my-shoulder-less.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

There's also some people mad that they cast a black guy as Jet.

Never mind that he might be the member of the core cast that's nailing the role the hardest just going by pictures. Or that Jet was always kinda super ethnically ambiguous anyway, and no part of his story really requires he be of any particular ethnicity. They're mad, because 'blackwashing'.

Frankly I think Jet's story works better in the present day as a black guy, that perfectly contextualizes his weird relationship with authority.

Huh.

I always thought he was supposed to be black.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Thanks for mentioning Footrot Flats, goon upthread. I'd never heard of it before and I got a few chuckles out of looking it up.

Apparently (though I can't say for certain, since I hadn't read that far ahead) it became reactionary trash near the end.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Footrot Flats was mostly always cool and good and wholesome.

Murray Ball, (the creator), however turned into a horrible old man raging against feminism, and wrote a book called The Sisterhood, where the all the jokes are "Hey look! there are young women with short hair. They are probably lesbians and are taking away all of the rights of men. The only reason they aren't laughing is because they are humourless bitches."

Thanks for the clarification.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'd want to like it, but I find the voice acting of almost everyone to be very grating.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Drow Piet is a beloved Christmas tradition!

On this note: Black Peter didn't age well thanks to Swart Piet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Only potentially problematic book from the series was Interesting Times. Discworld was otherwise sublime.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently they were pretty bad translations all around, too. And the publisher still doesn't seem to know what they did wrong.

For years Iceland's translation of Dracula was a totally different story because no-one who spoke both languages bothered to double-check.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Is it really "parody" if you just do the thing though?

Yes, see how Airplane parodied Zero Hour, often by using the exact same lines of dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

the_steve posted:

IIRC, the old Dick Tracy comics had Dick lamenting how all of the new rules of the time were making it harder for cops to do their job and let criminals walk away scot free.

In an old time-y radio podcast I listen to, there was an episode of Dragnet that derided Miranda rights.