Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Every so often I feel the urge to revisit Escape from LA, but I can't imagine Pam Grier's character aging well. I remember her intro being kind of uncomfortable when I saw it the first time, I can't imagine how it holds up now.

I have never felt the urge to revisit Escape From LA. It's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched S4 when it came out and hated it, and made it like one episode into S5.

Lmao they actually made season 5? Holy poo poo.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I watched it and laughed st exactly one line("spiderman 2, the first one"). It really felt like nobody wanted to be there but they felt like they had to.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Source4Leko posted:

Lmao they actually made season 5? Holy poo poo.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Every so often I feel the urge to revisit Escape from LA, but I can't imagine Pam Grier's character aging well. I remember her intro being kind of uncomfortable when I saw it the first time, I can't imagine how it holds up now.
It doesn't 😬

Exaggeratedly deep voice ✓
Hypersexualized ✓
Deadnaming ✓
Goofy drag name ✓
Crocodile Dundee Dick Check ✓

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

deoju posted:

The original run of Arrested Development is 15 years or so old and there's a lot of transphobic poo poo in there that makes me cringe.

Also in season four Maeby disguises herself as an Indian shaman in brown face.

I haven't watched it in a few years, but I'm sure there's more.

Plus all of the stories of Tambour being a poo poo head.
I haven't watched AD since its original run, but I guess part of the bad stuff may also be due to the fact that...everyone is supposed to be a terrible person? George Michael is probably supposed to be the least bad of the lot and half of his story arc is about him being attracted to his cousin / being really creepy towards her? AKA the Always Sunny in Philadelphia gang type of story.

Framing is definitely quite important in this case, but the show at large doesn't really shy away from showing everyone as a pos. As I mentioned though, I haven't watched it in 15 years and I'm sure it's full of early 2000 humor that would not fly today framed as a general "funny" thing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I can't believe they're still making new always sunny seasons. the first seven seasons are absolute gold and I can watch them an infinite number of times, but by season 10 it was so embarrassingly fuckin bad, I haven't watched it since. I just pretend it ended

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's always sunny was the first show that had a trans character where the trans woman wasn't the joke and the main character was. Or at least the first time I saw it on TV in the US.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

I haven't watched AD since its original run, but I guess part of the bad stuff may also be due to the fact that...everyone is supposed to be a terrible person?
I call that "jerkwashing" You want to make the joke, so you launder it through a character you've contrived to be *just* sympathetic enough for a larger audience to be able to stand week after week

Source4Leko posted:

It's always sunny was the first show that had a trans character where the trans woman wasn't the joke and the main character was. Or at least the first time I saw it on TV in the US.
Excellent example. However, it wasn't the characters who decided to costume her with a comically large hog though was it?

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Jul 19, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I call that "jerkwashing" You want to make the joke, so you launder it through a character you've contrived to be *just* sympathetic enough for a larger audience to be able to stand week after week.

I mean, there are plenty of shows that "lampshade" problematic stuff as if that would make it ok (IE: saying that your token gay character is a token gay character, or having someone say that a joke is misogynistic and then framing it as if it was funny anyway)...but I don't think this is the case in AD, when "these people are horrible" is the main theme of the show. Same as with IASIP.

The Big Bang Theory is a big offender for this kind of lampshading instead, on top of being terrible. The main characters display all the negative connotations of traditional nerds (misogyny first and foremost) but are framed as endearing and "charming" in their way; they often have someone say "well you can't say that" along the recorded laugh track ffs.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Jul 19, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Last Chance posted:

I watched season 5 of AD and it was a test of endurance in its awfulness. If anyone cares, it ends with the reveal that Buster killed Lucille 2 and encased her in cement, which is probably the worst, saddest way to end that show.

I also watched season 5, and the ending with Buster retroactively made the show worse. That said, there are a few bits of season 4 that I enjoyed, especially after Netflix cut them into a real series instead of the original character-focused cut they made. The scene with Kitty and GOB in the LEM comes to mind.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

there are a few bits of season 4 that I enjoyed

90% of the stuff in season 4 I liked was Tobias stuff. The Method One acting clinic was great, and "who wants to help daddy get his rocks off?" made me legit spit take.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Source4Leko posted:

Actually, I remember an article I read online once that went through every live-action trans person that had been on American TV at the time, and I remember being surprised that the earliest depictions were actually really respectful. Sure, they were almost all conflating trans people and drag queens (I suspect that to be partly ignorance and partly working around network censors), but the first wave of trans people on TV were all sitcoms where the main character is clearly wrong for not accepting them.

I really wish I could find that article again, it was interesting to see how there were basically layers of sediment where most trans characters fit different very specific roles. The 'sympathetic sitcom guest of the week' era, the 'deceitful soap opera character' era, the 'faceless victim in police prodecurals' era... It was depressing, most of those eras sucked and progress wasn't exactly straight up, but it was neat to see the movements get charted and see how constant it was.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Excellent example. However, it wasn't the characters who decided to costume her with a comically large hog though was it?

You'll find no disagreement from me that it wasn't perfect but it was utterly different from anyone I'd seen on a TV show until then.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Source4Leko posted:

Twin Peaks beat it by quite a while

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

Actually, I remember an article I read online once that went through every live-action trans person that had been on American TV at the time, and I remember being surprised that the earliest depictions were actually really respectful. Sure, they were almost all conflating trans people and drag queens (I suspect that to be partly ignorance and partly working around network censors), but the first wave of trans people on TV were all sitcoms where the main character is clearly wrong for not accepting them.

I really wish I could find that article again, it was interesting to see how there were basically layers of sediment where most trans characters fit different very specific roles. The 'sympathetic sitcom guest of the week' era, the 'deceitful soap opera character' era, the 'faceless victim in police prodecurals' era... It was depressing, most of those eras sucked and progress wasn't exactly straight up, but it was neat to see the movements get charted and see how constant it was.

Would be fascinating to see that list. I grew up in the 90s and the representation I saw on prime time network TV was uniformially loving awful.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thetoughestbean posted:

Might have to check that out that was before my time.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

All In The Family had a sympathetic recurring drag queen character (Beverly LaSalle). The only person who has a problem with her is, predictably, Archie. Of course, they un up killing her off in a Very Special Episode.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Source4Leko posted:

Might have to check that out that was before my time.

Oh man it's so good

And I'm not saying that out of nostalgia, I only watched it the first time a couple months ago

Here's some media that didn't age well, though - Twin Peaks Season 2, roughly episodes 11 to 20

I guess it was terrible at the time as well though.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

The other day I had some video essays in the background while playing a game and I was listening to one about how you could only have non-hetero characters as antagonists in American media for a long while because of the regulations on TV/movie content.

The interesting part is that this was at the same time creating terrible representation but was also used by queer people working in the field to sneak in cool characters that were also coded as queer. This constant association between queer characters and villains would be later responsible (together with homophobia) for characters like Buffalo Bill; but also for every single Disney villain being coded as queer in a positive/fabulous way.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Denise is the only good thing about Twin Peaks S2 and I wish there was just a supercut of all her scenes so I could skip the rest of the season on rewatch.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

docbeard posted:

I have yet to watch S4 and have not heard one thing that suggests that I should be in any hurry to do so.

You've gotten the right impression. There are some genuinely good jokes here and there but like one good joke an episode is not enough to keep it from being a sad experience overall.

Barry Foster posted:

Here's some media that didn't age well, though - Twin Peaks Season 2, roughly episodes 11 to 20

I guess it was terrible at the time as well though.

I mean it did manage to go from being one of the most popular shows on TV to cancelled in like a 6 week period or something :v:

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
I wondered the other night if the Brass Eye episodes that aren't Paedo-Geddon have aged well but I'm too worried to check in case they have not.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

goldenninjawarrior posted:

I wondered the other night if the Brass Eye episodes that aren't Paedo-Geddon have aged well but I'm too worried to check in case they have not.

They're a worrying prediction of what news is actually like today.

And they mostly hold up!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I actually enjoy season 4 of Arrested Development for what it is, but season 5 feels as old and tired and creaky as the cast itself.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I remember liking Arrested Development S4 just fine (to be fair, I'll watch Maria Bamford in anything) but by the time 5 rolled around all of the dirty laundry had been aired and the fun was sucked right out of it. It's hard watching actresses you admire work through what's been revealed as a tense and, for lack of a better word, abusive environment when it's all played for laughs, especially when the most prominent lead died with her last moment in the spotlight being piled on by her (male) fellow cast members.

It's a great show, but also one that feels like it should stay in the past.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

That Italian Guy posted:

The other day I had some video essays in the background while playing a game and I was listening to one about how you could only have non-hetero characters as antagonists in American media for a long while because of the regulations on TV/movie content.

The interesting part is that this was at the same time creating terrible representation but was also used by queer people working in the field to sneak in cool characters that were also coded as queer. This constant association between queer characters and villains would be later responsible (together with homophobia) for characters like Buffalo Bill; but also for every single Disney villain being coded as queer in a positive/fabulous way.

This all sounds pretty interesting. Could you point me in the direction of more info? Thanks.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

my favorite thing about AD S4 was the subtle and not-so-subtle jokes where the main cast's foibles reflect the other projects they were working on since AD got canceled

the only thing i remember at all about S5 is the court episodes, which i thought were better than most of the court episodes the show goes through

also a big difference between AD and IASIP is that The Gang is really, really openly lovely in every way, but AD kinda takes the coward's route and tries to portray bateman as a put-upon everyman (even though in the actual plots of the episodes he is usually as bad or worse than his insane family)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I recall a few years ago starting up AD and going from S1-3 in a week or two, then starting S4 and making it through like 2 episodes before dropping it and never going back. It just lacks all the magic of the original show and I'm not sure I could even explain why. The green screen doesn't help but in general it's missing a lot of charm.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I went through Season 4 of AD maybe a year ago for the first time since it came out and was surprised how well it held up; I remembered not liking it much at the time. I still think about "Cinco de Quatro" about once per day. But I barely made it an episode into Season 5, it was truly dire.

In terms of early trans representation, Dog Day Afternoon holds up incredibly well, in addition to being a thrilling movie besides. If you just hear the plot of a 70s movie as "man robs a bank to pay for partner's gender-reassignment surgery," you'd imagine the most sneering portrayal imaginable, but both characters are treated with dignity.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rochallor posted:

In terms of early trans representation, Dog Day Afternoon holds up incredibly well, in addition to being a thrilling movie besides. If you just hear the plot of a 70s movie as "man robs a bank to pay for partner's gender-reassignment surgery," you'd imagine the most sneering portrayal imaginable, but both characters are treated with dignity.

If I had to pick one of De Niro, Pacino and John Cazale to have died tragically young, Cazale wouldn't be the one I'd choose. He appeared in just five movies; every single one of them was Oscar nominated for Best Picture and three of them won, and Cazale held his own in all of them. He was an amazing actor.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rochallor posted:

I didn't know this movie existed until this post and its now at the top of my watchlist. Thanks!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

If I had to pick one of De Niro, Pacino and John Cazale to have died tragically young, Cazale wouldn't be the one I'd choose. He appeared in just five movies; every single one of them was Oscar nominated for Best Picture and three of them won, and Cazale held his own in all of them. He was an amazing actor.

I would simply not pick any of them to die tragically young.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He said you had to

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What if we compromise and they go in a coma

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

He said you had to

I know lol it’s just a wild framing of “I think he was the best actor of the three.” Plus it would deprive of us of Heat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Arrested Development season 4 is uniquely bad for the fact that they made 2 versions of it and neither one ended up salvageable.

The recut was slightly better at first because it felt better-paced in how it would cut between the different characters like the old show used to. But on a macro level the pacing got screwed up even worse, and it ended up petering out long before the finish line. They also felt the need to shorten the episodes and pad them out with excessive recaps to give it a higher episode count.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Rochallor posted:

A little too much, because Wojtowicz was an abusive piece of poo poo who was very much against Liz getting bottom surgery and misgendered and deadnamed her until the day he died. Also his motives for robbing the bank are somewhat murky. Also he raped one of his accomplices the night before.

Screw that guy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

add me to the list of people just finding out there was an AD season 5 :monocle:

also, another show that surprisingly positive portrayal of trans people was fricken' Sons of Anarchy. figure it was also probably able to get away with it too cause the shows hypermasculine but also a soap opera for dudes. kind of like with the gay characters in Spartacus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CharlestheHammer posted:

What if we compromise and they go in a coma

This wouldnt impact latter day DeNiro much.

thetoughestbean posted:

I think Twin Peaks meant well, but I remember it stumbling a little but nothing I (cis person) felt was egregious or mean. Let's not forget this is in the same season as Catherine Martell's extended yellowface storyline, and I'm a season 2 defender (it only really stumbles after the reveal of Laura's killer and the ending is phenomenal - as a rule, if Dale is in his FBI suit, its a good episode and Windham Earl is cool)