Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's sad to think the world might be too jaded for a Mr.Rogers now

we may not have him anymore, but we do have at least one generation of kids who learned a lot of important things from him, so don't give up hope just yet. the light from his candle was passed along to a whole lot of people before it went out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

Look, I'm a big cool internet toughgirl in 'real life' or whatever, but I say to you, with real, honest tears, that the light from Mr. Rogers' candle will NEVER go out, and I firmly hope that will be true.

Exactly! The good that people do lives on after them, at least as much as the evil, and the good things that Fred Rogers did had a particularly long reach :unsmith:

on the topic of the thread: I never did get the appeal of Gilligan's Island to begin with, but some of the earlier episodes go from zero to yikes especially quickly when they stumble across a ridiculously racist "comedy" Japanese stereotype character. He's seriously like the distilled essence of those nasty propaganda images Dr. Seuss drew during WWII (and later really regretted iirc) delivering poo poo-tier fauxriental shtick that was old and hackneyed when vaudeville was young

Also, I think he showed up in > 1 episode, too, so somebody watched that poo poo and said "yes, this is what I would like to see more of in this television series"

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Kirk skulked around on a gangster planet too

and a Third Reich what-if planet, and also a Cold War post-apocalypse planet, if I am recalling my Stars Treks correctly

convergent evolution works in mysterious ways

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Early seasons of Red Dwarf managed some pretty impressive effects on a budget, and instilled in me an appreciation of really good physical models and effects (the opening credits for the first couple of series owns, iirc, I’m mobile posting or else I’d have a link ready)

and it was usually funny and reasonably well written

that said, I can’t speak for anything past the eighth series b/c I haven’t sought it out and I genuinely don’t know if it’s worth it

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What about Bullwinkle?

last I heard he had a decent job and a house with a roommate somewhere in Minnesota

I’m sure he keeps in touch with his parents, but life and thwarting the sinister machinations of Cold War Eastern bloc spies gets in the way, you dig?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Granted, I've not seen a lot of elephant clothes in my life time, but those are the worst elephant clothes I've seen to date. That elephant looks ridiculous. Ridiculous.

my dude, that is stylish everyday elephantwear in that particular bit of India, and imo it is crushing it :cool:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

bobjr posted:

Hank and Peggy Hill

if anything, their relationship probably improved by miles after Cotton died

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

PicklePants posted:

I mean, they've literally said in the show, "You're a rapist." to Quagmire's face when he was talking about how he should have gotten the spin off instead of Cleveland.

They know. I'm pretty sure they've mostly toned down his rape stuff. He’s kind of lovely to Ida who has transitioned, tho.

so is literally everyone else on Family Guy, and I would drop the “kinda”, personally. everyone fuckin dumps on her

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

or that one where troi gets space-pregnated by what turns out to be a godlike entity using her baby area to get into this universe and that’s all I remember about it except a pervasive feeling of :yikes:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

pentyne posted:

Barney Fife was just a thug with a badge.

yeah, but literally everyone in Mayberry, including Aunt Bea and Opie, could overpower him and administer noogies as necessary :v:

also it helped that Andy only allowed him one bullet, and forbade him from actually keeping it in his sidearm

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Excluding the Simpsons what are the most embarrassing attempts by gone-to-seed creators at trying to remain hip and relevant?

I'm reminded of how John Wayne starred in a Vietnam war movie, when the actual Vietnam war was still going. A practically senile Groucho Marx showed up in a movie full of geezers, that tried appealing to a sixties audience by having loads of hippies show up and exhibiting a completely oblivious depiction of LSD. What's telling beyond the aging cast-members of these movies is the stiff and formulaic camerawork as if nobody wanted to get out of their chairs.

For every George Miller ageing gracefully there are ten Ridley Scotts chugging stupid-pills and making Alien sequels.

if Groucho Marx seemed out of it for Skidoo, it was possibly because (as he mentioned when talking about the movie later) he tried weed for the first time during filming, iirc

Mae West’s last movie was also a big old trainwreck, from what I remember, basically on account of her complete inability to concede that she was no longer young, hot, and provocative

I’ve also never watched Laurel and Hardy’s last film, because even the stills from that production look like posed corpses

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

rockinricky posted:

The lyrics I remember seeing were:

La cucaracha, la cucaracha
Ya no puede caminar
Porque no tiene, porque le falta
Marijuana que fumar

Or something like that.

a version I encountered replaced the last line with “limonada que tomar”, but then, I learned it in elementary school

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

heck, one of my favorite tv channels nowadays has reruns of You Bet Your Life and Basil Rathbone’s Sherlock Holmes, and it’s pretty nifty

it also has really old Dragnet, from before anyone realized how it sounded describing suspects as “cauc”s (short for Caucasian, or honky), which never fails to make me giggle like the idiot child I am

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

there’s a youtube channel (official, I believe) releasing an episode of The Real Ghostbusters a week from the start, and at the very least the first handful or so hold up well on the design and animation fronts. of course there’s top-tier voice acting as well, and a surprisingly catchy tune or two thrown in

it’s a kids’ show, but so far it’s definitely a little more :effortless: than :effort: in ways that show

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ror posted:

Based on how long tattoos have been around I'm now realizing how ancient the first terrible and possibly wrong foreign language tattoo might have been.

some ancient ink that says “a half-jar of figs” in cuneiform on somebody’s upper arm

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

minor counterpoint: to my mind, a big chunk of Hank Hill’s admiration for Strickland is him casting about emotionally for a father figure who didn’t openly despise him, and Buck in his turn instinctively fastening himself to by far the biggest mark in his office. I don’t know that Hank could overlook the many glaring faults of tmurp without that psychological incentive to look the other way

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I dig what you’re getting at; I guess what I’m trying to get at is whether the dysfunction between him and Buck Strickland would inoculate him from the brain spiders, as I’d posited, or leave Hank primed for further exploitation. and now I’ve typed it out I’m no longer so sure of my initial assertion

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's all over the walls, on the ceiling, under the tiles

the ending of the American Dad episode wherein the Smiths’ home becomes a bed and breakfast, but instead of poo poo Steve’s finding communism everywhere

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

at least Dan Harmon’s discussion of his misconduct (from the previous page) comes off as someone who talked briefly in the same room with introspection. hell, if you’re willing to be generous—fair enough if you’re not, but for the sake of argument—he might even possibly have had shame for his actions on the phone in a conference call.

in comparison, loving lmao that Whedon or his interviewer considered a single word of that article to portray a relatable fellow human, much less one transformed by remorse

SatansOnion has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Jan 18, 2022

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

iirc “Weird Al” Yankovic is every bit as kind and friendly as a person might hope for

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Samovar posted:

Shake like me?

add the one with Hand Banana to the pile imo. it isn't often Aqua Teen whiffs it ime, but when it does, hoo boy

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

That was a different evil computer.

HAL Jolson.

I remember when he sang about his mother, the arcade game emulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Torquemada posted:

The only time I've ever heard the phrase 'in a coon's age' was when Joe, the old boss gangster, says it in Reservoir Dogs: something about a combination of Tarantino, Lawrence Tierney and potty-mouthed bank robbers made any explanation other than racism risible.

I only ever heard it used in the Will Smith Wild Wild West, in a context that is indisputably using it in the most racist possible way

there's a lot about that film I admit I don't really get, but that exchange stuck in my mind as especially baffling on basically any level at which you care to analyze it