Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

I like Family Guy in the point of view that it's being intentionally written more recently as everyone on screen, with maybe the sole exception of Ida, is an entirely terrible person. The show likes to pretend it has continuity, as in characters will actually remember and react to things in the past.
Take into all the terrible things and you have a cast that is entirely meant to be "Look at these terrible fuckers sometimes be right, but most of the time just laugh at their misery." Maybe with a dash of "also please stop loving watching this show, I loving bankrolled the new Cosmos, I want to do that but people won't stop watching this."

Brian having a vomit storm over sleeping with Ida is meant to show that Brian's a loving terrible person. Dog-person-thing. Early on he was Seth's liberal self-insert, and then wait, no, he's just a loving lip service douchebag who's just as bigoted and awful as anyone else.

The abusive girlfriend episode is astounding in how absolutely uncompromising it is about an abusive relationship, capping it off with the literal wish fufillment of "We murdered him and got away with it." In abusive relationships, some people related to the abused will totally blame the abused. It's not right, and it's definitely something to never, ever be shown as "good", and I'm grateful that most of the people I know who did that later realized "no, wait, that's not what I should have done, I was scared and panicking I'm sorry." It's their attempt at justifying the problem that humans just aren't that good equipped to handle - "Why is this person being terrible? What's the reason? They can't just do it...just...just because. THERE HAS TO BE A REASON." Quagmire, Joe, and Peter are heroes only by virtue of the villain doing something so awful and heinous - in every other respect, it's an idiot, a rapist, and a self-centered stalker.

Ida isn't written well, but she comes across as Seth trying to "write a positive character" and not just realizing, maybe...maybe that subject is outside your ballgame. Maybe just don't do that.

But yeah Family Guy needs to die, it's gone on for way too long and I think at some point we're going to get episodes intentionally written to try and tank the show, like the no-cutaway one but not done on a dare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

54 40 or gently caress posted:

But Family Guy misses the mark on the "everyone is a horrible person" joke. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia does it well. The characters are almost always punished and certainly not rewarded for being totally horrible and are social outcasts because of it.

I'll cop to IASP doing it better, but is it possible to punish/reward characters when every other character around them is equally horrible? What few good characters exist in Family Guy are, as already said, more vehicles for jokes than anything.

Maybe it's all just Seth giving less and less of a poo poo. Even as far back as 2011 he wanted to end Family Guy. I hardly doubt he pays attention to Family Guy any more than contractually obligated to and tells the writers and such to just do whatever, collect a check.

More on the thread topic, my mother watches Walker, Texas Ranger religiously. I have several, several of the episodes etched in my brain because ever since it started airing she never missed a beat. All of them are kind of awkward in the wake of Chuck's severe slant into insanity, not to mention the whole Walker is Jesusman. See also any episode of Home Improvement and Tim Allen.

On Murder She Wrote, do yourself a favor, and look into the later episodes on wikipedia and such, when Fletcher had more creative control of the show. One of them is outright bashing Friends - the title is "Murder Among Friends", and the show is literally called "Buds" - and it features basically an extended Angela Lainsbury Yells At Modern Things. A lot of the later episodes were Lainsbury being upset that her time in the spotlight was fading.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Pokemon who evolve from stones learn absolutely no moves after evolving (with the exception of Eevee); this was the point of the surge episode. It's also the reason why your level 7 Raichu will always be poo poo.

There's a few other edge cases where a stoned Pokemon will learn a few moves, but by and large, the default is evolving them is what you do after you level them.

Content: Home Improvement is a lot less funny knowing how much of a shithead Tim Allen became. I don't think it had anything bad like gay panic, though that may be later seasons.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

The DVD Commentary for Batman Beyond talk about how extremely close it came to belonging in this thread - they didn't just want "Batman in High School", the writers talk about how the suits were explicitly pitching basically "Adam West Cartoon" - "At one point they wanted a god drat batpole in the closet for Terry to slide down."

It being as dark as it is was a deliberate choice, lashing out at how loving goofy the suits wanted it.

As mentioned not all of Batman TAS is good. The episode where he tries to figure out who is kidnapping hobos is kind of just, there. I think it's one of the writers' most loathed episodes they worked on. Batman doesn't even really solve any problem except for this one isolated camp. They tried to make a message about homeless people and in the end the rich dude literally just rich dudes away.

For me one of the non-Mr-Freeze standout episodes is the one where The Riddler gets out of jail and gets a legit toy line and half the episode is Batman tailing him because surely the Riddler isn't clean - except he is, except in a double twist, of course he falls back, but the episode leans incredibly hard on the idea that The Riddler isn't choosing to do this. It's a literal compulsion, a brain defect, and he absolutely can't help himself. Like it just goes beyond normal villain motivations of "bad guy bad" and humanizes them in a way I rarely see.

I mean, humanizing is one of the things Batman TAS did well. Batman ALWAYS called the villains by their real name. "Harleen", not Harley. "Harvey", not Two-Face. They were never "lost" to him.

More on topic, it's been a long while since I watched Superman TAS - I don't remember much of it, but I remember some episodes just being so egregiously dumb I'd just skip them whenever they came up in playlists.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Team-Venture-Making-Bros/dp/1506704875/

Since no one has actually just linked the book itseof yet.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

The commentary for the Sealab 2021 DVD is some of the best commentary I've heard. They talk about the show and run out of material by episode 4 or 5, so we get:

Live audio of them bowling, skeet shooting, and being at an arcade. No actual talk, just they hit record and do their thing
Reading old fanfiction the writers wrote in grade school
Reading the communist manifesto, stopping in the middle to take a frankly impressive drink of vodka.

RIP Harry Goz.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m pretty sure that Angela Lansbury played the culprit in all the episodes of Murder She Wrote.
Wherever that lady went, people died.

Didn't someone run the numbers and come out with her city having a murder rate so high that dwarfed the #1 murder rate city by a factor of like, ten or twenty?

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

In one of the more recent dbz videogames, the main villians recruit the noncanon movie villians into their scheme by telling them of their noncanon status, which upsets them enough to agree to the team up so they can dimension hop to the canon timeline and try to kill Goku because they blame him for their noncanon status

hyperhazard posted:

Wasn't his American voice actor accused of a bunch of sexual harassment/assault? I remember there being drama around it.

Yes. Vic Mignogia. Also did Edward Elric in FMA, and also admitted everything in the courtroom, saying he didn't see anything wrong with it, despite 30 years of people telling him no.

Lyrai has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Sep 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which character and which game? That's amazing.

Dragonball Xenoverse 2. Lord Slug and Turles are recruited by Towa, and later she grabs Cooler as well.

Xenoverse takes itself exactly as seriously as Dragonball should.