Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Not necessarily a tv show example, but in the late 90's to mid-2000's there seemed to be this belief that ecoterrorism would become an actual thing. This means Civilization: Call to Power is pretty dated (one of the world wonders you could build was a ecoterrorist nuke hippy van: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxBVc2cSFeI) but so is final fantasy VII in some respects (at least the very early parts of the game).

Most impressively is how Tom Clancy's Endwar (released in 2008) nailed a few things (The UK left the EU, the EU shifted towards a federal state with its own army in the wake of growing discontent with NATO and the USA's lack of commitment, resurgent Russian nationalism caused troubles in Eastern Europe, etc.) but then also went into some weird plotline about ecoterrorists blowing up an American space station with EU hardware to prompt a new world war?

I feel like any plotline with ecoterrorists can be traced to a particular mood we had at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ecoterrorists could have been a real thing if anyone actually cared about the environment. But no one does, so they don't really exist in any numbers that matter. I blame the cancellation of Captain Planet after only 6 seasons.

Yep, that's a good summary. These games are dated because they were developed in that narrow timeframe where a) enough people understood global warming/the environment is a Big Deal and b) people assumed we'd give enough shits about the environment to kill people over it. Once it became clear that the strongest reaction global warming can evoke is a few lukewarm protests, the archetype that never was lost its appeal.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Oh, I just remembered some non-American stuff that aged very poorly.

Aged poorly in a completely different sense is the very first Tintin strip.

Tintin originally started as a commissioned anti-communist work. Hence why Tintin is a reporter: in the first strips he's uncovering Bolshevik plots to turn the good Europeans away from liberal democracy. During the second world war, the German forces made publishing politically sensitive material too dangerous in occupied Belgium, so Tintin turned into the swashbuckling explorer we know and love today, and his more political slant disappeared.

to Hergés credit, after the War he did go in interviews stating that his original strips were influenced by his bourgeois and paternalistic upbringing, and that he somewhat regretted these.

Still. Holy poo poo, they did not age well at all.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

spog posted:

I find myself inserting just two lines dialogue from every cop show in the last 20 years and it ruins the whole show

"I worry. I mean, little things bother me. I'm a worrier. I mean, little insignificant details - I lose my appetite. I can't eat. My wife, she says to me, "you know, you can really be pain."
"I ain't saying poo poo without my lawyer""

"There's just one more thing..."
"gently caress you! Lawyer!"

In a lot of ways Columbo is about hubris and the pride of the social elite. They're always getting dragged down by an average working-class man and humbled because they think he's beneath them and they let their guard down. So in a way I think it's a stylistically valid choice to have them self-own that hard.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Inescapable Duck posted:

And now I'm wondering what a live action Ace Attorney TV show would look like. Obviously audiences can't get enough of courtroom shenanigans.

Like that but also more like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIi44sSQCDs