Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
We laugh at them now, but to be fair, I can see why clip shows could be more appreciated when everything you wanted to watch wasn't a click away, or a quick drive to the rental store.

londonarbuckle posted:

Just re-watched Mission Hill and there's a handful of dated things in it (corporations hiring hip Gen X-ers to do nothing, ahahahaha), but the thing that maybe aged the weirdest was that episode with the big vague international crisis going on in the background that Andy spends the whole episode ignoring. One of the few details we learn about it is that it somehow heavily involves Dennis Rodman. That kind of struck me.

Timeless. The Real World episode suffered, though, since now it just comes off as pretentious wanking over something everyone already knows by now(reality tv is bad, wow, hot take in the year of our lord 2017).

TenCentFang has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

JediTalentAgent posted:

So you get something like the message at the end of the episode is literally this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNrxq9DubQ8
That I'm sure would be super controversial from just about every direction today with that message.

As much as I agree Captain Planet is a product of it's time, Ted Turner was already known for being a little crazy about these issues, like the infamous time he banned saying the word "foreign" from his network to be replaced with "international". Praising China for their family size policies wasn't popular even in the 90s.

King of Foolians posted:

Yikes. This is only a small point-of-view away from turning into a Ra's al ghul-style "To save the planet we must exterminate most of the population".
Somebody get Hollywood on the phone, I've got a great idea for a live action Captain Planet movie.

They made that. It starred Don Cheedle.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It hits kind of hard when I'm watching something I like or something only for it to do/say something boneheaded and I've gotta spend a minute in my head grappling with it. Like, I watched Dragnet on Netflix a few years back, I was loving it, but tiny things here and there like Joe Friday sneering at the promotion of homosexuality made it so that whenever I think about this show I like a lot it has this glaring asterisk. I feel as though there are some creators who I'd wanna have a discussion over coffee with, but they'd be offended by my existence, so, you know. :smith:

On the other hand, I enjoy it all the more when people you'd think would be offensive are actually very kind and as on the right side of history as possible.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dexie posted:

The greatest Captain Planet thing is when Hitler proved to be SO EVIL that Captain Planet was weakened just from being in his presence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__ztikjTok

Hitler's depiction in older media is a funny thing in and of itself. Back during his life, the cartoonish buffoon Hitler getting clowned on by Donald Duck and the Three Stooges is shocking, but then so is the stuff from when he was treated as an evil mastermind handcrafted by Satan himself. Now we all know he was in fact a cartoonish buffoon irl while still being directly responsible for the most famous acts of human suffering in history.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think Smithers was supposed to be 'tanned' and the animators misunderstood.

That can happen on occasion; the Venture Bros has wanted to insert deliberate animation errors in homage to old cartoons, but the studio animates them correctly.

When shooting the pilot for Star Trek, the girl they painted green kept coming out flesh toned before they realized someone was unknowingly "fixing" it.

The Skeleton King posted:

I feel like that was the intent. Homer overreacting to Bart's antics and nearly killing him was supposed to be bizarre and over the top. I'm not sure it had anything to do with the times.

Well, yeah, obviously it was a joke and not a completely normal thing for the era, but understanding of child abuse has gotten to the point where it's a kind of joke that would seldom be made these days.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean you're not wrong if you're posting from like 1996 or so but MMA has basically not been that since around 1999 or so

My favorite media that hasn't aged well is the X-Men comic that came out right after Ronda Rousey lost where someone is like "woah, you're just like Ronda Rousey".

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gum posted:

There's actually pretty decent evidence that the creation of paid online streaming services put a major dent in piracy

Industries have a habit of intentionally making their products as obtuse as possible to use or even have access to at all, then pouting when people pirate them. Online streaming and DRM-free services like GOG show most pirates are actually perfectly willing to pay for things if the other side wasn't such stubborn dicks.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Salami posted:

I think it gets singled out mostly because the show itself makes fun of it in "Behind the Laughter", so people remember it more.

I've heard there was actual outrage over the desecration of the show's rich lore, but that's second hand so grain of salt. It was actually one of the first Simpsons episodes I ever saw and I liked it well enough, perhaps because I hadn't built up any prior attachment.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
In his heart, he's always been a small-time hustler. That was another one of the first Simpsons episodes I saw.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Mind posted:

Meanwhile, 400 years in the future on Star Trek, everyone uses PADDs for all their documents. One document, one PADD.

Obviously, requirements of a Starfleet captain is such that even PADDs, with several yottabytes of storage, can't contain everything in one unit, and we'd all understand this if we were enlightened 24th century superhumans too.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Although on the other hand, if something were written about SecondLife now, it'd be woefully dated.

Oh hey remember this :allears:

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

Picard ordered printouts and hand delivery of orders in season one once.

I'm sure there is a whole bay of tractor feed dot matrix printers on the same deck as cetacean ops.

I can't remember what it was, but I know I've seen a Star Trek book from the 80s or 70s where Kirk's Enterprise had a primitive message board system, and crewmembers using it so much was hogging all the RAM.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheriff posted:

The first is the episode where Lisa joins MENSA. They all go to the park in Renaissance garb, but the town drunks are using their reserved gazebo. Skinner looks for an alternative, but reports back that "there are some shemales in gazebo three a nasty looking spider in gazebo six and the less said about gazebo eight, the better". They try to get Chief Wiggum to clear out the original gazebo, but he angrily replies with "how many gazebos do you shemales need"?

That one isn't that bad outside of how much "shemale" really pops out at you

Yeah, I'm trans and that one is pretty funny to be honest. The other is straight loving horrible, though.

Sheriff posted:

That episode aired in 2003, and truthfully, even when it aired there was no way a small Texas town would ever care that much about a resident being racist, but with the rise of the alt-right and all that's come with it, a bunch of conservatives caring that much about racism is simply laughable, and not in a good way.

It really is strange how many episodes King of the Hill did about political correctness and environmentalism considering it's setting. It's like whoever was in charge was just venting elaborate revenge fantasies for whatever he saw on Fox News that made him so mad the previous night. It boggles(heh) the mind. A way funnier and more interesting plot for that episode would be if it revolved around actual white supremacists hearing about it and trying to recruit Hank.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Estrago Bonito posted:

One Cool Customer is especially bad. The idea of, like, only cool hip people having tech gadgets in the modern day when everyone's gradma has an iPhone

That episode confused the hell out of me for this reason. Or maybe it's from me never having been around rich people? It was just so weird and alien I had a hard time connecting any of it to reality.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Besesoth posted:

(I just watched it; I don't actually like Family Guy but it's a surprisingly solid episode except for a math error late in the episode that ruins a joke.)

Imo, Family Guy and South Park are both extremely hit or miss. I can enjoy episodes as recent as the current season, but if an episode is bad, it really fuckin sucks.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaunab posted:

I want a remake of Revenge of the Nerds where it starts out as a comedy and slowly becomes a court drama about the nerds being tried for their sex crimes.

Goddamn those nerds were rapey.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

Speaking of sex offenders, the Pedofinder General cartoons, while amusing, have aged hilariously poorly given the whole Operation Yewtree dealio, and ongoing crises of pedophile rings at every level of society the authorities seem conditioned to ignore.

They can still apply. At the time the cartoons were made, there really was a ridiculous pedophile scare that failed to get any of the countless actual pedophiles lurking under the surface. A witch hunt is still a witch hunt even if there's an actual witch no one notices. Really, it makes the witch hunt worse. It helps no one but the witches who are usually even in charge of the drat thing. Even when it's over, it's that much more difficult to nab them because everyone assumes it's crying wolf.

Essentially, a culture that jumps into a frenzy to accuse each other of witchery isn't mutually exclusive with a culture that harbors witches by the truckload. You can say "wow that's a dumbfuck reason to accuse someone" as well as "but we've got all these famous powerful people raping kids, could we do something about that, please?"

TenCentFang has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Sep 27, 2017

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mentioned it before, but it got a bit harder to watch Dragnet when after an unfortunate comment about homosexuality, and of all decades since the show aired it's more cringy than ever how far it bends over backwards to make the police look saintly in any conflict with civilians.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure the original Twilight Zone is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Griffith was questioned at the time. He said that prominent black citizens simply wouldn't exist in the Andy Taylor world. To an extent, that would have been true. Griffith said that if Mayberry had a black doctor, no white citizen would have used him.

It's weird he basically admitted all the fun wacky characters on the show were horrible racists.