Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Besesoth posted:

I can't think of a TV series that did this, but "Jessie's Song" aired about two years after Greg Louganis, an HIV-positive diver, hit his head on the board at the 1988 Olympics and his blood got into the pool; there was a lot of furor because he hadn't disclosed his HIV status.

Interestingly, in 1997, Mario Lopez - who played Slater on Saved By The Bell - played Louganis in a TV movie about the incident.

I didn't watch it, but I heard some guys talking about it at school the next day, and one of them said that he got raped in a shower before-hand as well.

I never looked into it, but that seemed like something that both would have happened in a late 90's TV movie while also being really weird looking back on it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Ariong posted:

The Jetsons only had white people in it. Major characters, minor characters, crowd shots - they just forgot to make any of the people not white.

Then again, maybe it was for the best.

The first instance of Internet Racism I was exposed to was a guy in a chatroom saying "You ever see The Jetsons? The future looks bright and WHITE!", and it kind of burned itself into my memory for how funny/wrong it was.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

Dean Stockwell shooting himself in the head during the finale really captured my feelings.

Adama vomiting all over himself in an alley behind a bar encapsulated it for me.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I kind of want to give Flanders' hyper-Christianity a pass when God directly intervenes on his behalf, at his request. That's bound influence your world-view a bunch.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Plus the Seinfeld universe was disconcertingly racially pure and I can't help but imagine all of them having some part in the reporting and deportation of undesirables to whatever dystopian government agency handled those matters.

That actually happened in one episode, unless that was the joke.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Batman TAS has held up very well. Gargoyles almost as well.

I wonder about ExoSquad because I haven't seen it since it aired but my memory of it, at least, is pretty badass.

ExoSquad holds up pretty decently except for that bullshit cliffhanger 'ending'.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Volcott posted:

Someone hasn't seen patrick stewart's erotic cakes sketch.

Probably because they were too busy living in a van down by the river.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

There was a Family Matters reunion photo shoot and they didn't invite the actress who played the daughter who vanished from the show and never got referenced again.

I started looking into it and found out that Family Matters is a spin off of Perfect Strangers. What the gently caress, man

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Yeah but Stallone also cuts pizza with scissors.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Alhazred posted:

Scissors for cutting pizzas is a thing that exists. I own one.

So you're the reason late night infomercials exist? Huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SxN_U2H0Xc

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Inescapable Duck posted:

Are bank robbers more sympathetic nowadays?

It took me over a decade to realize that Robert De Niro wasn't the hero in Heat.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I'm still mad that the MacGyver box set has his first name right on it. The only time it came out in the show, you had to read flaming letters backwards.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It's not really that egregious and probably has been mentioned, but Frisky Dingo is awesome in that it has deliberately blatant product placement for a car marque that doesn't exist anymore.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Another thing unusual is that's she's blonde but dyes her hair black. Who does that, especially in Hollywood?

She was doing that way back in early Frasier, so I guess it's really just her thing?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The episode where Worf started jumping through alternate realities probably had one of the Picards with a rad mohawk. That's as believable as Wesley being a command staff officer.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Why would he? Dude loves the sun. Stares right at it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I like how they sometimes forget that they had Mohammed in the Super Best Friends episode, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think any animated Conan adaptation can surpass this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3cl4GJIDs

"You are overly large, and stupid looking!"