Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Niles was just generally pathetic but Frasier seemed to be acting pompous more than actually being pompous to keep up appearances for the people he hung around by necessity.
Frasier is written oddly because he's both the posh blowhard and someone the audience can identify with. So you get episodes where he's waxing eloquently about his vintage bottle of Chateu Jerqôv and then next episode he's in baggy sweats sharing a beer with his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

rodbeard posted:

Even without Rowling's tweets Harry Potter has aged poorly because her idea of a morally grey character was a wizard Nazi who only leaves the movement because the magical holocaust was going to get the girl he spent most of his life obsessing over because she was nice to him that one time.

What's the Potter equivalent of an incel? You know XxHalfBlüdPrncexX was burning up the Hogwarts BBS with "ITT EVERYONE IS DUMB" and "E/N No One Understands My Genious" and "How To Get Her 2 Notice Me?"

ulex minor posted:

Rowling should consider writing the wizard version of Mein Kampf to fill in the lore imo
Voldemort was like Rich Spencer to Grindelwald's Magic Hitler. So mostly Rule by Blood (forget that I'm muggleish) and Subjugation of Others (give me all the power).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Chad James vs The Virgin FEARED AND ILLUSTRIOUS Severus

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You didn't think the desiccated cum geyser guy was good? Truly a more nuanced view of the dangers of pro-abstinance education will never be committed to film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I somehow avoided L&O until this Winter when I was home and sleep deprived with a baby.

The episode I saw had a promising high school asian academic phenom gunned down in Chinatown after having a fight with his white girlfriend. They suspect Chinese Mafia and it turns out it was probably the racist as poo poo mother of the kid's friend and her failure elder son who was leaving racist as gently caress messages to the kid's family.
At trial, the girlfriend says she saw the brother's work van and they get put away. 2 minutes before the episode ends, the girl's story is proven bunk and the murdermom gets out.

Sure it was probably true to life when it comes to clusterfuck cases but god if it wasn't infuriating to watch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vandar posted:

Me, after watching that video: "Yeah I don't think s-WAIT IS THE BLACK POWER RANGER?!"

I must have been a dumbass as a kid to not recognize him.
I feel like my age group was all a-ga-ga over:
Winnie Cooper
Topanga
Pink Ranger Kimberly

and those that had Cable also remember
Alex Mack
Catalina from Space Cases (And then Suzie in S2)

But yes, 99% of the initial draw from Space Cases was OMG ZACH ATTACK IS BACK.
Always kind of hated the show never got a conclusion. It was like middle-school Farscape, before Farscape was a thing. And I'll forever hate myself for not saving this dumb digital trading card I got off of AOL keyword Nick of Catalina and Suzy

And since I mentioned Farscape I really, really used to love catching it and talking about it with the one or two people that were sci-fi nerdy in my school. I was just so grateful it wasn't a Star Trek retread and that they tried to make everything different and actually had world-building. They were great at being just weird enough to feel creative, like Zahn's photogasm.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kind of love that they called back to burning down the gym in the series.

In retrospect Buffy's arc being 'naive vapid cheerleader' to 'cynical, disillusioned put-upon foster mom' really wasn't as progressive as I thought it was at the time.

Nor was her relationship with an older dude with anger issues.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 16:00 on May 25, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Everyone always said it was about crashing his kid friendly career.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
To be fair, they're really done a good job with the yearly crossover episodes and the next one (Crisis) is going to be nerd catnip.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was disappointed to find The Matrix hadn’t aged well since I last saw it a decade or so ago.

The film is aggressively 90’s in style
They even worked it into the narrative with The Matrix being designed at the height of human culture (presumably because 199x was before the internet made us stupid and we melted all the ice caps with our heatdeath blanket).

I'll take Crouching Tiger wire-fu any day over Super CGI Black Panther puppetpeople fighting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Few things will ever look as bad as War Elephant surfing Legolas.

I know FX houses are overworked, underpaid and constantly 2 minutes from being fired. but someone should have put the kibosh on that whole scene.

It's as bad as the troll-riding from Harry Potter 1

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Der Kyhe posted:

Well poo poo, Enterprise and Picard was racking up speeding tickets like they could win you prizes.
I enjoyed the 4ish episodes they tried to keep it a thing.

:ughh: Numbah 1, it seems that the D'Vrakk are engaging with federation forces near Bajor. We've been given special authorization to EXCEED the Warp 5 limit. Have Geordi plot in a course immediately.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

Book Malcolm dies too but he gets better sometime between JP and The Lost World.
Right!
I thought he got chomped on by compy's and then I read The Lost World and he's just like back to being an a-hole.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bogus Adventure posted:

Frank Miller is writing a new Superman origin
Yesh DC knows better than to incorporate any Miller past DKR into its works. It'll just be a big name weirdstory and nothing more.

BioEnchanted posted:

I do find it funny how many Klingon's try to do subterfuge and are so surprised when the other Klingon party doesn't submit. How are the Klingons so surprised that Worf and his Brother are willing to die for their father's reputation?
To be fair, Worf is basically a big old Klingaboo (retreating into a mythical racial history once coming of age). So another Klingon might realize the tactical choice is "P'tak! I wouldn't waste a good bat'leth on your honorless hide!" to use as cover for negotiations and a bloodless agreement.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jul 6, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaunab posted:

I find this kind of gross. Trying to make the Punisher more appealing.
It's a good tack because "You're a loving civil servant not Rambo" is indeed the message that should be sent to modern law enforcement.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

christmas boots posted:

The Punisher always read to me as a tragic sort of character, in that his existence—both in the sense that society failed to save his family and also that it failed to notice and treat Frank’s mental issues early on—is because society is fundamentally broken.
I never finished the Netflix series but the first few minutes were brutal. He worked an extremely physically taxing job to get out his aggression, to the point where his coworkers thought he was slow because they just pointed him at a wall and he just hammered the gently caress away at it until it wasn't a wall anymore. Then he went home to an efficiency studio that was, like, a toilet, a sink, and an oven stuffed into a space the size of a walk-in closet. Nothing glamorous there.

I'm also a fan of the takedown that said "The Punisher is what happens when a white man thinks his family's the only recorded casually of gang related crime"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Spice World has a scene where a big budget action FX sequence is supposed to happen and it just cuts to.... barbies and a toy bus being pushed off of a shoddy kids-sized bridge.
It is an insanely campy and fun movie.

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Spice Girls movie is to me one of the best affectionate piss takes ever. Everyone is in on the joke, everyone is having fun, all the barbs are good natured.
You want a great double-header? SPICE WORLD with a Josie and the Pussycats chaser. I swear Josie was some kind of love letter to the 98-01 era and is like a pitch perfect timecapsule of being a pre-911 teen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They solicited fan art for that episode.

The better SP episodes are the ones where they deviate from the house style in some way, like the Ninjas episode or the WoW one.

Though the Awesome-O 5000 episode is good just to watch Cartman be miserable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
PC Principal was a good character, but I'm not sure what they gained by making his SJW acolytes fratbros (other than more centrist 'Just as bad as!' bullshit).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bootyjudge was like "oh M4All and FreeCollege? Um how would we pay for that" so :thermidor:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oliver and Company was the one film I spent all my childhood wanting to find because it was everywhere when I was a kid and I never got a chance to watch it in theatres.

I think it got shoved in the disney vault pretty quickly. So my childhood is littered with the drat Christmas ornaments from MickeyD's and the dumb song clip that ran in commercials and trailers that goes "Why should I worry! Why should I ca-ah-are" but next to nothing about the film itself aside from Cheech Marin chihuahua

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

rodbeard posted:

I think Tim Burton's Batman aged horribly. I know a lot of people have softened on it lately but I can't imagine why.
Burton's Batfilms are really just character studies of the villains with some Batman thrown in, but Bats89 goes a long way to show you just how weird Wayne is and that's awesome.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Here's the weird part: at least part of the reason is because Pete Wentz used his fame to help the movie regain popularity.
I remember it being really hard to find after the mid-90s. A lot of Hot Topic merch came out in the 2000s and that seemed to revitalize it to the point there were Halloween screenings and the new 3D version.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I know a lot of people who go nuts over anything Tim Burton and I just don't see it.
This was probably more the case when his creative vision was seen as pushing back against the monotony and horror of suburbia and normalcy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Granted it's still also pretty whimsical; a lot of things that look scary actually aren't malevolent or dangerous in Halloween Town because, I mean, the song even has the line "life's no fun without a good scare."
Yeah, probably the only thing wrong in Halloweentown are OOgie Boogie and maybe the Lock Shock and Barrel trio. But I think that's why it works so well for kids, that idea that things may look a certain way but not be scary/malevolent.

Tiggum posted:

It can't seem to decide if it's meant to be serious or not, which means that neither the comedic nor the dramatic bits really work.
I've always liked that about it. It's a movie where this gothic, noir city is oppressively serious and brought to its knees by a guy using a gruesome joy-buzzer on his foes, leaving them as skeletal husks. Hell, the images of Gothamites clawing over each other for fakebucks while being poisoned, or Joker taking out an impossibly long gun to take down the Batplane, always stick with me.

purple death ray posted:

Burton's Batman is one of the least faithful comic book adaptations but it's also cool as hell as a movie.
True. If I were a few years older I might have brought that up.
But I was 6 when it came out. Waiting in line for Batman was one of my earlier film memories. To me, well yes of course Jack Napier killed Batman's parents. Of course he would become the Joker and have this orobouros cause and effect thing with Bruce. Nevermind that Joe Chill comic poo poo that I didn't know about, the film was really cool and everything just made sense to me.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Aug 26, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LoT being silly is what saved it from being shitcanned after the slog that was season 1

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

oldpainless posted:

IN actuality the Rex couldn’t have ran that fast and probably had a fine fuzz on it as it was related to birds I am very smart

I love that all the instances of
Actually Dinosaurs
:goonsay:

Are waived away by the magical fairy wand of "we introduced reptile/frog DNA to fill the missing bits"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Way back when Starship Troopers was first announced, I was waiting for someone in a theatre lobby and I was just kind of doing the slow scan of the poster to kill time.

Some mid-30s guy walked by and was like "if it's anything like the book, it'll be an amazing movie" and just walked on with his popcorn and hot dogs.

I often wonder what his opinion of the film was.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Transporters have that kind of thing, they just don't work most of the time for plot reasons.
The bigger issue is that a lot of genetic manipulation in Trek is kind of verbotten because of Khan and the Eugenics Wars.

So that's why it's not a matter of "Put Picard through the telebuffer and just insert non-Iruomote Syndrome brain particles into the stream" to fix 99% of diseases.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Der Kyhe posted:

Was it ever explained what history Guinan and Q had with each other, and why Q was tiptoeing around her?
I just figured it was writers that weren't sure exactly what the story was, dropping hints that Guinan was more than they perceived, but being vague enough that they could fix it later.

Really, the big takeaway there ends up being she's met/known about Q for a while.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
By Kevin Smith's account, Willis harbors no illusions about the kind of films he works on.

And unlike Cage, who will genuinely give a performance, seems that Bruce just checks out if it's a cashgrab.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Len posted:

Didn't those two also hate working together?

Yes, but I imagine a lead taking your shooting script and going "nope, nope, oh hell no... yeah ok let's do page 5 to start" would get on any director's nerve.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Koalas March posted:

Imagine if they were tho

Bruce-Tracy-Smith were an energetic live show but their melody work need improvement.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Columbo did this a few times, too: Shatner was the villain more than once, as different characters, as was Jack Cassidy, Patrick McGoohan, and George Hamilton.
Dean Stockwell was a boat musician and later a layabout murder victim. Robert loving Culp was in the excellent 2nd episode and came back 2ish times.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kirk's romantic interest in the first one is the recommissioned Enterprise

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Byzantine posted:

I mean, I can't blame him
I can. She was smooth as a baby but bitch was unstable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

oldpainless posted:

The Austin powers movies have aged really bad

More like oldmojoless

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Swedish Penis Pumps enjoyed a small resurgence following the film, but sales overall remain flaccid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The third one sucked so bad it made you forget Beyoncé was the female lead.

It should have just been that fake Austin Powers movie with John Travolta as Dr. EVIL.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The first Austin had a plot. As well as being a sendup of the spy genre (that ridiculous rotating circular couch is actually *in* one of those dumb 60s films so there were a lot of Easter Eggs around), it treated Austin like an actual character. He has legitimate setbacks in adjusting and actually grows by the end.

The second was a 90-whatever minute excuse to write sketches featuring the character and to undo any growth from the first one in ways that were MST3K dumb. But Heather Graham was cute.

Yes I watched it twice, once at a sneak preview the night before it opened when that poo poo was almost unheard of.
It was a huge cultural moment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
More like Oldagelies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

christmas boots posted:

Wait, isn’t he just the reincarnation of the original?
King P pukes out an egg and that egg hatches into Piccolo so he just gave birth to himself but he's a weird plant man apparently so that's not so weird I guess but at the time he was a weird demon man so it maybe also makes sense?