Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Many Asian buildings will omit any floor number which even contains four because of its association with death, just as many Western buildings omit the 13th floor because of bad luck or dad-focused buildings skip the 9th floor because 7 8 9.

The most interesting thing about that is that in buildings that do have a 13th floor they'll often have a room 1313. If it's a hotel that will be the most requested room in the building by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

On my favorite parts of Survivor was their eating competitions, but they stopped doing them after the first 5 or so years. I don't know if lawyers got after the producers realized they couldn't keep topping each season without someone dying.

It's weird how quickly lawyers end these things. To Catch a Predator ended after one of the guys committed suicide. I don't know if The Real Housewives changed after a husband killed himself, but it seems like it's more manufactured drama than before. And no, I don't 'watch' Real Housewives of [insert city], but my wife does so the crap sinks into my brain via osmosis. I'll readily admit the terrible crap I watch such as Predator.

Reality TV ultimately isn't and it has problems for exactly the reason of "topping this every year will eventually kill somebody." The drama is pretty much always manufactured and everything is heavily edited. The audio doesn't always match what's actually going on; there's a particular kind of cut where you'll see the back of a person's head and they'll be saying something other than what they actually said at that moment. Those kinds of things and clever splicing of audio will create moments that never happened or pump up the drama to absurd levels that never happen anywhere. Plus they'll condense multiple days or a week of something into half an hour or an hour. So they just pick the highest drama moments, put those on TV, and cut out all the mundane stuff. That or they'll deliberately create drama. I remember back in the days when The Real World was a big thing it was blatantly obvious they picked a bunch of people they knew weren't going to get along well.

In the case of Predator that show got into some really questionable legal territory in a lot of ways.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

MSNBC had a aftershow for To Catch a Predator that talked about what happened later. The number of actual convictions were ridiculously low - like single digits.

Some of the guys you could tell were out of their element, even though any grown man trying to seduce a child doesn't deserve anyone's pity - you could tell this wasn't something they did on a regular basis. But they had one guy who was in full-on predator mode. Like he wouldn't even come inside the house. Just kept trying to convince the girl to come out to his car. Incredibly creepy with no doubt to his intent and yet the charges were dismissed.

Despite the lack of convictions, I doubt things were alright with these guys and their families afterwards.

Yeah I remember that being one of the biggest criticisms there. Publicly humiliating somebody like that on public television before a trial was even scheduled is just not OK. Due process exists even for the worst monsters. I think I watched one episode ever but still...it was just not a comfortable thing to see.

There were also arguments that they were sometimes entrapping people or getting very, very close but as they weren't actual law enforcement people that rule didn't quite apply. In any event I for one am not comfortable shattering somebody's life that way without proper due process. That show was a mess on so many levels. I think the "this is borderline entrapment" argument was one of the reason that the charges often got dropped.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Mar 3, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Kitchen Nightmares gave us Amy's Baking Company.

You know, just saying.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

"A few hiccups" on Kitchen Nightmares means "A year after this episode first airs, this restaurant will be completely gone." Seriously, extremely few of the US KN restaurants have ever survived.

Another corollary: the bit about the owner being up to his eyebrows in debt? About 50% of those are people that could not even pass a basic business math class, but "had a dream" about making a place the people in the community would love and gather at.

Restaurants have a very high failure rate and it's for exactly that "but I had a dream" reason. For whatever reason restaurants are one of the most common businesses for people to dream about opening and most people starting a business just don't do their homework. The restaurant world also has one of the highest failure rates of businesses ever. It isn't just "most restaurants fail" it's "drat near all of them do." Even if you do everything right and are an experienced restaurant person there's a very high likelihood of failure.

Restaurants on the show actually have a significantly better chance of succeeding then normal. Which is still "most of them fail" but I also imagine a significant chunk of that is "gently caress that Ramsay guy, I'm going back to doing it my way."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I thought the only reason a lot of these disasters went on the show was so they could sell off their failing business at a profit because 'it was saved by Ramsay' and pawn it off onto another starry-eyed lunatic who thinks it's easy and simple to run one.

Restaurants really are the mid-life crisis of businesses, aren't they?

They pretty much are. It's depressingly common for somebody to dream about escaping the daily grind to think "well I can cook so now I'll take on a lot of debt to take a shot at being my own boss!" Then they find out that cooking for a restaurant is very, very different from cooking at home, restaurant work is loving hard, and running a restaurant successfully is extraordinarily difficult. They also very frequently forget "location, location, location." Sometimes it's "well I can make a better cheeseburger than McDonalds so running a restaurant can't be that hard." Well yeah no poo poo, drat near everybody can put together something better than a McDonalds cheeseburger. The reason McDonalds is successful is they dump cash into high traffic, ideal locations. Plus good loving luck making your very good cheeseburger faster or cheaper than McDonalds.

If memory serves a lot of KN episodes also had competent, well-meaning owners who had deadweight relatives loving the whole operation up but "I can't fire him, he's blood!"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My idea for the Agent 47 show: David Bateson wears a suit and just scowls at the camera for a half an hour.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

A lot of comedians with his style risk sliding into "loving kids these days" being their only gimmick as they get older. George Carlin did in his later stuff too.

Some of Lewis Black's stuff still holds up. I'll always laugh at his rants about the cold weather that one year or bitching about bottled water.

I don't know why but "hasn't it been a special winter, everybody?" *pause* "If you're a loving moose. If you got fur on your nuts it's been a special winter."

Lewis Black is weird because he never actually set out to be a comedian it just kind of happened. "Irritable old Jewish guy from New York" is the entirety of his thing as far as comedy goes. I kind of assume he's getting less funny because he's been putting less effort into his work. Which makes sense; he's nearly 70 and never wanted to do comedy in the first place.

I think he described it as "being the only person on the Titanic that knows what's going to happen" and there really are limits to what you can do with that. Plus it also doesn't work as well because he has a tablet whenever he does The Rant is Due so he's obviously with the times. He's still funny just not as hilarious as he was when he first got big.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why would you take a plane from San Francisco to Oakland anyway?

Have you see the traffic?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BgRdMchne posted:

The slides of mobile chemical weapons labs were pretty convincing. That bullshit removed any trust I had left in the US and it's intelligence services.

Even before that there was also a lot of misinformation around. Plus let's be honest here; Saddam wasn't exactly a nice guy.

I was actually supportive at the time. Now note that I was still a teenager at the time and also am from pretty rural conditions. The mobile chemical labs bullshit was actually the turning point where my opinion switched to "wow, gently caress this." As terrible as Saddam was that was when I realized that we ultimately went to play in the sandbox for utterly bullshit reasons.

Looking back it feels kind of weird that like 70% of Americans supported Bush Jr. and thought the Iraq war was a good idea but well...times were different.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is still a large part of stand-up comedy.

Basically every comedian ever has had some sort of problem, typically depression. Basically all of them are in therapy and learned that people will like you if you can make them laugh.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, what the hell was the deal with the Great Gazoo?

The show's ratings were starting to drop for a variety of reasons. So they decided to try something new to get people watching again. So they made Gazoo.

...it ended badly. He was in like 12 episodes and the show ended production not long after.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Probably not. The Greatest Generation were a bunch of pervs who happened to defeat Nazis.

I’m really not sure how we equated the ‘good ol’days’ with morality. poo poo is much more uptight now.

One of the biggest differences is that YouTube exists now. I guarantee you they did all the same kinds of stupid poo poo that we did because, well, humans gonna human.

Probably the biggest reason things are more uptight now is because, you know, AIDS. Somebody ran the numbers and it turns out that Gen X, Gen Y, and Millenials are having fewer sexual partners on average than previous generations and are being way safer about sex in general. Of course the Greatest Generation also had to deal with horrifying bacterial STDs before we developed all the antibiotic cures we have now that gently caress them up so I think they slept around less as well. That and the Great Depression screwed them up a lot in various ways.

Even so acting like any generation always saved themselves for marriage down to the individual, never cheated, never had affairs, and never got up to the kinds of shenanigans people do now is absurd. In those days it was a huge scandal if that stuff came out so it was kept hidden as hell when it inevitably happened. We didn't have everybody walking around with a camera on hand at all times so it was harder to prove it. One of the changes now is that we're acknowledging the fact that most people actually don't want total monogamy in a lifelong heterosexual relationship and we're fine with it.

People that act like we're in some kind of moral freefall because *gasp* PEOPLE ARE HAVING SEX WITH MORE THAN ONE PERSON IN THEIR LIVES!!!! :derp: are trying to sell you on authoritarianism.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

My thoughts exactly. I don't think basic human behaviour has changed much for a very long time, it's just that things are a lot more open these days with the kind of technology we have to record and share things.

I always roll my eyes when some old person complains about young people. I roll my eyes doubly so when they complain about young people complaining.

I've actually heard multiple old people talk about how terrible kids are today with all of their sex and rap music and disgraceful, unsafe behavior then less than an hour later talk about how when they were 17 they'd drive drunk and have all kinds of extra-marital sex while listening to rock music. It's really baffling to hear somebody talk about the moral freefall of modern society then revel in the fact that they were actually worse when they were teenagers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hard counter posted:

yeah as far as i know internally dc was just treating it as a very run-of-the-mill vehicle for exploring how things might play out if superman died and how the news might be received by metropolis, the other heroes and the wider world with the implicit understanding that no one who actually buys comics would take it so seriously but welp

to add fuel to the fire re: the backlash dc felt the general public in the 90s simultaneously understood that dumb 3 dollar comics can sometimes become valuable collector's items worth millions later on but at the same the public also poorly understood the concept of supply and demand so some people were legitimately upset that superman returned to life and ruined the future value of the death of superman comic thus killing their retirement nest eggs :shepface:

The 90's were a weird time for that in general. Everybody thought that their baseball cards would be Honus Wagners someday while failing to realize that that's insanely valuable because only a couple hundred ever got made like 100 years ago. Now like eight are known to exist. Eight. People were collecting Beanie Babies like mad because of how much they were limited in their runs. These will totally be worth millions some day!!!

...then they weren't.

In the case of comics "FAMOUS CHARACTERS ARE DYING!!!!! :derp:" storylines became popular to do because so many comic series were failing. People just weren't as interested in superhero comics anymore as they'd been done to death. People figured out that very popular characters would never go away. Aside from that comic book superheroes just kept getting continually more powerful which led to the infinity gauntlet showing up. Which...well makes you God, basically. "I just felt like eliminating half of the life in the universe so I did. Lol gently caress you." Yes, and whoever having that gauntlet being God-like in power means that all that life is going to come back by the end of the series when somebody else gets their hand in it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

And history repeats itself with Funko Pops replacing Beanie Babies.

Funny thing there is I have yet to meet somebody with 800 carefully sorted, stored, and preserved Funko Pops in the attic but I've met people that decorate their cubes with a dozen of them. I think in the case of Funko most people are buying them because they like the characters not because they'll be worth millions some day, totally.

The vast majority of people I met that had Beanie Babies were collecting them to resell them down the line for thoroughly absurd amounts of markup. I met multiple people who had an entire room dedicated just to storing Beanie Babies and carefully tracking which ones were expected to become rare.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

For the most part that is true, then you get this.

That's not the fault of Funko Pops. I've met people multiple like that and they'd have found something else to obsess over.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I will forever remember the day I was in a toy shop with my dad and he said I was too old for Lego now but he'd buy me a book for my birthday instead.

Is it possible to get too old for Lego? Like I'm 35 right now and will play with some Legos right drat now if there were some available. Building stuff never, ever gets old.

I think that's why Minecraft got so popular; it's basically Legos.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Straight White Shark posted:

That's just being prudent, after all 75% or more of all sexually active people will contract HPV at some point.

Isn't everybody just born with It? I thought it was herpes that 3/4 people pick up along the way.

HPV has a bunch of different strains that you can get but you start with one.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

He got off the stuff I enjoyed the most - absurdities of the English language. Still, I wished he had lived long enough to take on the 2008 US elections.

I think he probably would have gone on stage and just exploded. Not figuratively exploding in anger I mean literally just exploding. Not in a murder or terror attack way or anything. The bitterness and anger would reach crtitcal mass and kablooey.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

If I remember correctly it really only matters for women because it’s linked to cervical cancer

Yup. There are like seven strains that increase your risk of cervical cancer. That's why there's a vaccine recommended for it now. Of course the right is going "lol that's what you get for being a slut" but if you're born with one of those seven...well, that isn't really your own fault, now is it? I think that having more strains also increases your risk but for most people HPV just kind of hangs around in your junk and doesn't do much.

I could be wrong, though. I'm neither a medical professional nor an expert on such things. Just a random internet dude that's read some poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Nah...This has been pretty common for a LONG time. I have a degree in illustration from before computers were even really a thing. We used projectors and photo reference all the time. Xerox machines...collage...and you still have to know how to draw at least a little bit to even be able trace effectively, believe it or not.

I think the difference is more to do with cobbling your own reference photos versus swiping other people's stuff. I'm still amazed at how skilled the MAD Magazine illustrators were give how little reference material they had available at the time.

wait...what thread is this?

Things that a lot of people consider "cheating" aren't or were at a time considered trade secrets. Like using that "literally trace a thing that is alive" is a technique in animation. It's called rotoscoping. Instead of animating 3D models by hand motion capture is used a hell of a lot. If you take actual art classes they tell you that using a reference is a very good idea. Speaking of 3D modeling and animation it's a common technique to draw something face on, draw it from the side, and then basically use those to "trace" the model in 3D. This idea of "you have to do things totally from memory or you're a lovely artist" is utter nonsense. As far as art goes it isn't the tools you use that matters it's how you use them.

Then again in the case of Normal Rockwell he actually never considered himself an artist. He thought of himself as an illustrator. It's interesting that he became considered a prime example of Americana and is thought of as an artist given that that was never the intent at all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

John Cleese had said he was shocked when he found out that viewers liked Basil, since Basil is an absolutely horrible person. He reasoned that since Basil made the viewers laugh, they were more open to be sympathetic to him.

He also talked about an episode idea that he and Connie had about the Fawltys going on vacation to Spain to stay with Manuel's family. It was set in the airport, and on the plane, and how things kept delaying the take-off, frustrating Basil further and further. Eventually it would end with someone attempting to hijack the plane, and Basil snaps, attacking the hijacker, and successfully wrestling the gun away from him. The crew and passengers cheer at Basil's bravery and heroism.

And then Basil hijacks the plane, demanding the plane leave for Spain. The episode would end with Basil in a Spanish prison.

One of the really, really bizarre things about fictional characters is that if you make somebody that's utterly abhorrent, has no redeeming qualities at all, and is bad enough that the cops would give you a pass if you literally murdered them is that they become everybody's favorite. I've heard of it referred to as the Bill the Cat effect.

Berkeley Breathed created Bill the Cat to be a character that was so absolutely repulsive that he had absolutely no merchandising potential. The character was basically a piece of anti-marketing. Literally the whole point of Bill the Cat was to be completely and totally reviled; liked by nobody. Instead he became everybody's favorite character and has sold a gently caress ton of merchandising.

Think about Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Everybody likes Carl. Even though if he was a real person and lived next to you you'd hate every minute of it when you put him in a fictional show he becomes everybody's favorite. I think it has to do with taking refuge in absurdity; if you make a character that's just impossibly awful people tend to like them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Carl is not the worst individual on ATHF. He's constantly dumped on by everyone. He wants to be a badass, but the only time he really got to live out that dream was Larry Miller Hair System. Everyone else just clown him (once literally). Shake or Frylock are the worst. Shake has no redeeming qualities, but is an idiot. Frylock is on the surface is good, but is also the one who became a murdering stalker who wore the decaying body of the man he killed.

I'd say he is, really. Shake is too delusional to be truly terrible. He's very clearly severely wrong in the head and doesn't entirely understand his actions. Frylock is good most of the time he just, you know, has a few moments. Carl is just a relentlessly terrible and repugnant person in every way possible.

The Bloop posted:

Gul Dukat is another example. The actor did such a good job with a complex character that people started really liking him despite him being Space Hitler, so they had to dial it past 11 to make sure people got that he was a loving villian

I think the other side of that one is that he was also fanatically loyal to Cardassia overall and was perfectly willing to go to any end to further their ends. I think in that case people started admiring his conviction and loyalty. The issue is that he was loyal to, you know, Cardassians and they're like you said...loving villains. They are not nice people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

Based on my hazy nerd memory, DS-9 has a bunch of private businesses, places of worship, and school stuff. They're technically a private (Bajoran owned, formerly Cardassian) colony amicably occupied by Federation forces. Recall that neither Kira nor Odo are Feds themselves for instance. I want to say that originally the Federation was there to help the Bajorans adjust the colony to post-war life once the Cardassian occupation had ended, but then they discovered the Wormhole the Gamma Quadrant and suddenly there was an incredibly strong tactical argument for staying on, first to explore, which Starfleet adores doing, and then as the major outpost in the Dominion War.

I haven't watched DS-9 in...probably at least 15 years at this point myself but that's about the short of it. It wasn't actually Federation space but it was strategically important for a gently caress ton of reasons. Then they found that wormhole. The station was actually under Bajoran control but there was a Federation commander put in charge. That turned out to be Sisko. The Bajorans were fine with this because they simultaneously wanted the Federation's help and wanted to join. They were in a lovely situation overall and were weak because of being slaves to Cardassia for however long. It was a complex political situation for a lot of reasons; the Federation doesn't fight unless you force it to and there were Bajorans that were not OK with joining if that meant playing nice with the Cardassians.

So because it wasn't Federation territory normal Federation rules didn't apply. That was why private businesses were allowed to exist. It was also a very important trade and travel hub which was part of why it was so strategically important. It saw a lot of traffic. Then when it turned out that the Dominion was waiting on the other side of the wormhole it just got even more important.

But yeah the Federation has enacted super ultra space communism so Federation citizens just get everything for free. Thanks to replicators they've achieved post-scarcity. The amount of stuff that a replicator can't make is pretty small but that stuff still exists. This is one of the reasons the Federation still trades and why their credits exist. They're not based on anything specific; if you have them you can trade them to the Federation just...you know, wherever you happen to be able to talk to them for some stuff. It'll probably come out of a replicator but not everybody has access to that technology so it's still pretty handy for those outside the Federation. I don't think it's ever explained exactly what the exchange rates are or anything; just that it's a thing that exists and if you have them then the Federation will let you cash them out. Meanwhile they get handed out to Federation people who have to deal with places where money is still a thing.

So because it's out on the fringe of the Federation and there are gently caress loads of people coming and going there are still private businesses and Quark's is still Quark's. Quark in particular got up to all sorts of shenanigans but made sure not to get up to anything too terrible. Odo let a lot of petty stuff Quark did slide because Quark was actually a valuable asset. There was an episode where Worf showed up where Worf inadvertently screwed up Odo's plan to nab some smugglers. Quark had a bag of...something...that was going to trade to the smugglers (weapons, I think? I forget) for something else. Latinum, probably. Anyway Worf got wind of it, strolled in to bust Quark, only to find the bag turning into a rather annoyed Odo. The weirdest thing about Quark is that as much of a sneaky little poo poo bag he could be he was overall found to be a pretty alright dude. He got all embarrassed when people found out he was helping get food to Bajoran refugees at cost. He was greedy and sneaky but also helped the station crew a lot. A complex character, that one...

Anyway Quark never did anything too awful and was useful to have around so his shenanigans got tolerated. Rom on the other hand was far better-natured and had a head for numbers but was terrible at the devious poo poo the Ferrengi got up to. Which made him a good engineer or bookkeeper but a bad Ferrengi businessman. When the series ended and the station came under total Federation control Quark was actually sad that he was going to have to leave because, well, super ultra space communism and that. Everything is free in the Federation so he couldn't profit. The station crew liked him and his bar enough that they let him open it as a Ferrengi embassy so he could keep it open, still charge, make profit, and hang around.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the Federation management of DS9 basically considers Quark's bar as something along the lines of Grandpa Sisko's restaurant, a personal enterprise that is considered to have a positive effect on the community. Remember it's also a casino (and an occasionally crooked one at that) and holosuite joint, and DS9 otherwise lacks holosuites or holodeck facilities. Space station life is probably only a bit less stressful and claustrophobic than starship life. (as demonstrated with Garak's claustrophobia)

Eh, I'd consider it kind of different than Sisko's restaurant. Star Trek pretty strongly indicated that replicator technology could never create anything as good as something hand crafted. You could get everything you needed so money became meaningless but people still wanted stuff like home cooked meals and places to eat with a whole pile of other people. There would really be no point in actually charging for the service as money is mostly meaningless so restaurants would come up because some people felt like making a restaurant. People also, you know, get bored and have hobbies so if there's no real need to work it makes sense that some folks would just be like "well you know I like to cook so I run this place." Kind of like how in TNG people had replicators in their rooms but still went to a bar or a cafeteria. None of them give a poo poo about profit because in Federation space profit is absolutely meaningless.

Quark's is ultimately about the profit. But yeah I figure that's about the all of it as to why it gets tolerated; it's seedy, it's kind of crooked, and you know Quark is screwing people over while getting up to petty crime but the overall effect on the station is positive. Granted Quark is also a Ferrengi and they're not the types to screw up a good thing or gently caress up a steady source of profit. He knows what's what and never pushes Odo too far.

Mu Zeta posted:

Quark is an all right guy at least when it comes to violence. When he time traveled to WWII-era United States he was shocked and disgusted by the barbarity of the nuclear bomb.

The Ferrengi were originally supposed to replace the Klingons as the main villain of the series when they were introduced in TNG. The thing of it was there just wasn't really anything all that threatening about them and the biggest irony is that they're shocked at a lot of human behavior. The big example is the fact that humanity sold tobacco for so long. See, you can't profit off of a dead customer so why the hell are you selling them stuff that will kill them? Same with the violence thing; aside from the fact that Quark isn't as awful as everybody thinks the Ferrengi are they're legitimately confused at how horribly violent humanity was. They they'll probably all try to swindle you but not too badly as they'd like for you to come back. More importantly they'd prefer that you stay alive so you can come back. Part of that was Quark going "why would you blow up so many potential customers? What is wrong with you?" They managed to develop an interstellar society without ever committing genocide.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 04:24 on May 26, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though ironically, there were way less episodes involving the holodeck creating a supervillain again or whatever.

Everything does break when O'Brien's been gone for more than a few days, though. Also, Civil Defense.

And then when something goes wrong it inevitably harms O'Brien in some way. I'm shocked the poor dude never snapped or quit his job but he just kept on truckin'.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It would make sense if replicators produced a meal based on a template so it's exactly the same every time, which is nice and reliable but gets old after a while.

I think that was even explained at some point; it was just a template so it was never bad it just wasn't quite the same. The replicator was still just a machine so it lacked the human touch that home cooked food had. One of the reasons it couldn't make a pie "the way grandma did it" was partly because it was producing it from a generic template and partly because it did it the same way every time. Grandma didn't.

So you could be all like "hey replicator, I'd like some flour, some sugar, and enough apples to make a pie" and it would hook you up. Then you'd make the pie and it wouldn't match what the replicator did at all. The other thing is that the replicator was basically just magicking the thing into existence whole cloth while actually cooking it gave it all the funny changes that happen over time while cooking.

It really felt like they were doing the whole "manufactured stuff is good but never quite as nice as hand made" thing. Sure machines can make pies but they can't make pies as good as a baker can.

DS9 and Voyager played with that a lot more than TNG did.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: the Ferengi: I remember hearing about a tie-in comic (which I haven't read) which was about how Nog became one of the few cadets to "beat" the Kobayashi Maru test by offering to bribe the Klingons to go away, which worked because the Starfleet people who programmed the test apparently never considered it as a possibility. I thought that was funny (though it's probably not very good - probably falls into the same trap most Star Trek tie-in stuff does in missing that the point of Kobayashi Maru isn't whether or not you can beat it).

While it's true that the whole point of it is that you're not supposed to beat it no matter what it's pretty hard to make a test that's totally unbeatable. That's especially true when you're dealing with more than just humans. Granted in the case of Kirk he just hacked the computer because he's, you know, Kirk. It would actually make sense that a society that hasn't had to bother with money or scarcity for centuries wouldn't even think of bribes while the Ferengi would pretty much just default to that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RaspberryCommie posted:

Voyager: Star Trek, but stupid.

It was a good idea and the first couple seasons were good.

Later seasons...not so much. I quit watching when the bug things that the Borg couldn't assimilate showed up. The series got loving stupid after that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mooseontheloose posted:

I would say her character was better than most of the characters on the show and was kind of an interesting premise.

I think that was an accident more than anything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"Neelix can't cook for humans" was kind of a running gag in the series.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think it's implied the tech is there but the programmers suck is why.

Like you tell it to replicate Hamburger. Now, you could be getting a gourmet hamburger that's absolutely perfect and juicy, or you could get a McDonalds dollar menu item. If the dipshit who made the program likes McDonalds, there you go.

Then they mass produce the things so every hamburger you ever eat tastes like a McDonalds hamburger. After a few years even a Burger King hamburger would seem like the best loving thing ever.

ED: Alternate theory is that everything in a Federation food replicator is perfectly balanced for nutrition value at the expense of everything else (like taste) and sometimes you just want loving junk food. I could absolutely see a replicator denying your heart attack quadruple bacon burger request.

There's a lot of nuances to food and the replicator can only make the things it's been programmed to make. So for "hamburger" the program is probably some lowest-common-denominator thing like that or what the programmer things more will enjoy than won't. But if you make one for yourself or a family member makes one for you or if you get one at a restaurant there are specifics. There are restaurants who serve hamburgers you like better than other ones. For better or worse you have a preference. The replicated one would be indistinguishable from whatever hamburger they used to program "replicated hamburger" but you lose a lot of possible variations that way.

When it comes to storing information on how to recreate something on a molecular level that's an absolute gently caress ton of information. The implication was always that there just wasn't enough techie time or information storage to store absolutely every possible variation because they are still just computers. So if you eat replicated hamburgers you're eating basically the same hamburger every time. Which would be fine but people like variety. Burgers made the old fashioned way never really come out exactly the same way every time but the replicated one does.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The thing that sticks out to me most about Batman Beyond was the episode where a villain wanted to discredit the Batmen by making Batman go nuts. They hijacked a bunch of electronics to transmit messages to him only when and where he could hear them alone. The idea was to gaslight him into losing his mind.

Literally the entire time Batman knew exactly what was going on but played along to lead the new Batman to the villains. At the very end of the episode Batman tells Terry that he knew what was up and knew he wasn't crazy all along. Terry was just like "but how did you know?" Batman said "in my head I don't call myself Bruce." It's just such a perfect Batman moment.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

All the movie critics hated Starship Troopers too and none saw the satirical part. It's like they all forgot about Verhoeven making Robocop and Total Recall. Roger Ebert thought Verhoeven was bringing the authentic Heinlein vision to the screen.

Starship Troopers should have been called Poe's Law: the Movie.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's almost as if people are complicated combinations of both good and bad things.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

Its also implied that the army used a false flag operation by meteoring Buenos Aires to rally people to keep enlisting.

The movie ends after the first actually won battle against the bugs.

The sequels, well they do things.

I think the implication was that the meteor just kind of, you know, happened and was unrelated to any cause other than "this rock was cruising through the cosmos in no particular direction then it hit Earth." Then it was used as a convenient excuse to start a full scale war. It was a flimsy excuse at best.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

Whatever his other failings, the willingness to recant something that he had said in the past makes Ebert better than 99.9% of the people you will ever read.

I'm reasonably certain that makes him better than 99% of people in general.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Actually there are no problems with the movie starship troopers

There's one. The satire is so good most people can't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Stranger in a Strange Hand

giggidy :pervert: