Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

If I want to pick a build to just steam through the new league would the recommendation be I look up the skill I'd like via poe.ninja's analysis of the previous league, or am I better served looking up a detailed guide on the official forums' builds section?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It depends on how familiar you are with how character builds work.

If you know what you're doing you can just peek at someone's profile, copy anything particularly noteworthy, and go to town.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Is arc totems hiero viable to get to Shaper? I keep plateauing at the Guardians and I'd really like to try out Shaper without needing an expensive build.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Toteally viable

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh man I just now saw the PS4 trailer and the main takeaway I have is that the Witch's old VA is still around and still working for GGG

GAME SAVED
I hate to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure that was just the speech she gave when you selected her in the pre-3.0 days. :smith:

I still miss old (pre-2.0) Duelist personally. The new VA is all suave and cocky but the old guy had a real emotionless "I will murder you and your entire family if you cross me :geno:" thing going, which felt like it fit the atmosphere of the game a lot better.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 15, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah you can get to like 200k dps per totem, so what, like 800k total, way more than enough to do shaper. i think mathil killed uber elder last league on a arc totem heiro.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

KazigluBey posted:

If I want to pick a build to just steam through the new league would the recommendation be I look up the skill I'd like via poe.ninja's analysis of the previous league, or am I better served looking up a detailed guide on the official forums' builds section?

I think people should pick a skill that they are interested in then see if anyone has made an effective build with that skill. Google "poe flicker strike" bam you'll get builds. "poe ice nova" not so many because ice nova isn't a good skill. You do have to be on the look out for major changes to the workings of some builds though.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 15, 2018

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

BitterAvatar posted:

Is arc totems hiero viable to get to Shaper? I keep plateauing at the Guardians and I'd really like to try out Shaper without needing an expensive build.
I'm a filthy semi-casual running Arc totems and I got to shaper without spending much cash.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I hate to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure that was just the speech she gave when you selected her in the pre-3.0 days. :smith:
The opening is similar to her old selection speech but has new lines -- they changed "I'd not have taken their children" to "I'd not have brought their fears to life." Also some entirely new stuff near the end of the trailer, and the VA is actively retweeting POE poo poo for the first time in years. You can't bring me down boyo

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I still miss old (pre-2.0) Duelist personally. The new VA is all suave and cocky but the old guy had a real emotionless "I will murder you and your entire family if you cross me :geno:" thing going, which felt like it fit the atmosphere of the game a lot better.
I've heard some clips of the old Duelist and yeah, I kinda like him more.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh man I just now saw the PS4 trailer and the main takeaway I have is that the Witch's old VA is still around and still working for GGG

GAME SAVED
aw poo poo I hadn't realized this, gently caress yeah

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

a lot of the lines are the same but they've very much been rerecorded for the trailer

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ZenVulgarity posted:

It tends to be while a lot of people slap multistrike and added splash for melee, and soul echo for the caster types.

A speedy convocation to yank them all back to you is also super valuable to unstupid their AI a little.

Yeah! I was enjoying running around with double speed potions and convocation bombing mobs. :yayclod:

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Rodent also posts good builds if you look through his post history.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I’m not sure what I want to start with, but with both incursion and delve going core, I intend on playing a perma Vaal sparker.

I might start with either guardian summoner (I’ve yet to really play with spiritual aid) or a frostbolt

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1063184676381020161

Some nice mods

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Hnnngh, conversion mastercrafts.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Pending patch notes I'm thinking hiero as my next league starter. Start as life-based totems, switch to ES and PP later on. I know other goons have done this to great success.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

my failson scourge arrow hiero was converted into poet's pen indigon arc. It was a lot of fun, ate up all my exalts I had accrued and there's several variations you can run.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do you have to unlock Ascendant each new league or is it a permanent account unlock?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

permanent

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm seriously considering a champion league starter for next league. So far I've done tshot, hiero totems(before arc was good), essence drain trickster and molten strike inquis as starters, and I didn't particularly enjoy any of them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

champion is very solid for league starting. i think mathil has done that 2 leagues in a row

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

frytechnician posted:

Not to repeat a point but for those newer players who are looking for a starter build I would recommend the following:

Arc totems Hiero - easily the quickest and most pain-free ride I've had through all the acts and into late end game. Absurdly easy to play and fun too!

Arc Witch - on the POE forums there is a guide by a user called Enki. It is by far the best beginner guide I've read and breaks down act by act what you should be looking for, what gems to equip and what level you should be at.

Sunder / Reave / Blade Flurry Jugg - Take your pick really. Jugg is insanely tanky and I would recommend anyone to check out any of Engineering Eternities guides on YouTube.

LiftingNerds Uber Lab Farmer Physical Totems Duelist - another totem build except it's physical damage and pretty solid for lab running.

There are loads of other starter builds out there but these have all been the one's I've found to be super chilled to start a new league with.

Adding to this - molten strike claw and board works up till late yellow/early red maps on like a 5c budget, paid as you go. The only required uniques are 2x wildfires, one of which you get during campaign, everything else is just a luxury. And you've got a shitload of build options. My personal favorite is Inquisitor for the flat ele stacking and ease of pathing to wildfire jewel slots, but honorable mention to Assassin for the infinite poison weirdness, raider for being a FAST TANK GHOST, etc.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

I'm seriously considering a champion league starter for next league. So far I've done tshot, hiero totems(before arc was good), essence drain trickster and molten strike inquis as starters, and I didn't particularly enjoy any of them.

Delve is the first league I didn't start as a champion since Harbinger. Champion is great as a league starter, they are so flexible in how you can build them. I was thinking of doing a toxic rain champion but I decided it might not be the best idea. I also considered a crit flicker champion, as I do every league. :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I remember at some point there was mention of a Poet's Pen specific divination card, is that possibly in this release? I'd love to do a build with them but they're a little rich for me usually, and I imagine having a div card that will net them for you should drive the price down at least a little (depending on how rare the card drop is).

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

arc trap saboteur has been my go-to. it's powerful, has good clear speed and can get up and running on practically no budget.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Champ is a good starter for basically any attack build - 100% accuracy, good mix of damage and survivabilty, not tied to any kind of weapon, etc

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah if you are looking to try those impale skills champ is a good bet. Hard to say without specifics but the way it stores damage probably makes crit/poison/bleed good.

nerox
May 20, 2001
For GC totem, do you just level arc totems and swap to GC later or do GC all the way?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vasudus posted:

I would also argue the game is also a lot easier than when it was first introduced. I'm not saying that power creep is the reason, though it's certainly a reason. Stuff like the trade sites, overall more items being introduced into the game, and there being really only a few 'this skill is absolute garbage and you should never touch it' left now. Plus on top of that you've got youtube guides like EE that explain game mechanics which were once either unknown or hard to research. Then there's the Atlas system, the upcoming master revamp, etc. All of these things that add depth also make the game easier to handle in general because there's simply more options available and far less of them are outright bad choices.

I remember having to set up a forum shop to buy and sell things, taking upwards of a week to get my resistances capped.

There are also less items that singlehandedly make a character 1000% more powerful then the next guy, no having to hope the gems you need for your build actually drop at all or you could find someone selling for less then a exalt.

You don't feel quiet as inadequate because the other guy has a alpha howl and is running All Of The Auras or a soultaker and gets a dozen free passives and a potion slot from no longer having to worry about mana and there are more bosses you can farm then just doing piety over and over.

On another note, how does the guardian minion build rank? I didn't play in delve but the guardian rework interested me, how does it rank compared to necromancers and did people figure out the "best" skills of the new options? what sort of content did the minion guardian struggle with or do better then a necro?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

nerox posted:

For GC totem, do you just level arc totems and swap to GC later or do GC all the way?

As hiero you can basically avoid committing until endgame. You can get to level 70+ without ever going into +lightning nodes, which are the only thing that distinguish between GC totems and arc totems. Just use whatever you prefer while leveling, arc is good for fast clear but GC is better for bosses.

The trees are so similar even at endgame that you can also respec very easily if you decide you want to change from one to the other.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Wow the hybrid crit chance / elemental damage if crit recently mod on rings is great. 100%+ damage opals will be fairly easily achievable.

I want to see an 'implicit modifier magnitudes are doubled' craftable mod for incursion double corrupt madness...

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

No Safe Word posted:

I remember at some point there was mention of a Poet's Pen specific divination card, is that possibly in this release? I'd love to do a build with them but they're a little rich for me usually, and I imagine having a div card that will net them for you should drive the price down at least a little (depending on how rare the card drop is).

Poet's pens not very rare compared to most div card uniques and they are already both powerful and popular (which is how they maintain their price). I'd be surprised if they offered up a div card without also making them more rare.

dantae
Aug 7, 2003
rar
Could I get a guild invite prior to the league start rush? My character name is secret_witchlord

Betrayal sounds real cool and I think I finally got some friends interested in playing!

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Papercut posted:

As hiero you can basically avoid committing until endgame. You can get to level 70+ without ever going into +lightning nodes, which are the only thing that distinguish between GC totems and arc totems. Just use whatever you prefer while leveling, arc is good for fast clear but GC is better for bosses.

The trees are so similar even at endgame that you can also respec very easily if you decide you want to change from one to the other.

Yeah, in a bizarre twist of fate, spell totem Hiero is uh, actually pretty loving agnostic damage-wise

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i have altitis and the league hasn't even started yet

I'm thinking about that phys totem duelist that got linked or a HoA+HoP templar in the last six hours, anyway

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Andy Dufresne posted:

Poet's pens not very rare compared to most div card uniques and they are already both powerful and popular (which is how they maintain their price). I'd be surprised if they offered up a div card without also making them more rare.

yeah i find like 3+ pens every league

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

nerox posted:

From what I remember of my totems, you can do GC just fine from when you get them, but you want the threshold jewels for maps and those are expensive for league start.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Papercut posted:

Dance Officer posted:

From what I remember of my totems, you can do GC just fine from when you get them, but you want the threshold jewels for maps and those are expensive for league start.

Thanks guys, I haven't done totems in a while, so I may start with this with a goal of going GC totems and killing shaper for the first time. Plus I am excited about the +1 totem shield mod.

With a +1 totem shield being more easily available, do you think going Inquis will be better than hiero?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hiero has a lot of qol stuff beyond the extra totems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Captain Foo posted:

i have altitis and the league hasn't even started yet

Right there with you :respek: