Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ok ill rephrase that totems are boring and suck and probably the worst choice for a game/league where clearspeed is king

anything totems can do traps can do better tbqh

This is definitely not true. Several totem builds have nice clearspeed, considering you can drop the totems and continue moving while they kill stuff. Traps are trash and have cool downs. Have you actually played with either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I played warchief totems last league, pizza totems, rf totems way before they were 'vogue' , and spork totems in the only league totems were good. This is when I slap my sperglord play time and kiwi mtx on the table and say "yes I have, zip it you dork"

Totem clear speed is maybe not great lol

And the playstyle is extremely not fun, objectively. Warchief totems is so good and easy, but if you call it fun you're lying.

Its fine if you personally don't find them fun. Totems however, are "objectively" very solid for fast atlas progression and ladder pushing. #4 on the HC ladder this league was FP totems. They don't have KB/VPS/Geared TS clearspeed, but saying they are slow is wrong.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I'm sort of surprised at the lightpoacher change. Its probably going to be a buff overall when you consider you can now fork and chain the projectile.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

TheRat posted:

It definitely isn't a buff. Auto-pierce was really loving broken, as was the absurd range

We'll see. I've been playing a lot of lightpoacher this league and I would happily make this exchange. The most common way to run it currently is with GMP-Volley-P2L. Fork and Chain are going to give it a lot of additional coverage/range that will more than make up for the loss imo. The broken thing about lightpoacher was the fact that it is a high base damage physical projectile spell with 7% base crit, not really the free pierce. I've been running with a 2 socket lightpoacher on my inquisitor recently because I don't feel like I need the extra projectiles from volley. Next league you could easily just stick pierce in its place and get basically the same result as we have currently.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Hierophant seems pretty nice. On par with current inquisitor at least. I like the direction they are going by not touching current meta ascendancies and buffing underused ones.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Uh, all the Ascendancies are getting reworked.

vvv Ah, I read his statement as "Ascendancy class", not "Ascendancy skill"

Right, the ascendancy skills I mean. It seems like we can assume stuff like slayer leech is going to stay the same, but the currently unused branches might be improved.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I'm still not convinced this league isn't some elaborate setup for an April Fool's joke.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Personally, I think I'm just going to capture the legendary beasts, and maybe the rare beasts depending on how useful the crafting recipes actually are in practice. Its pretty common to ignore the league mechanic at some point if you are trying to be efficient. This was especially true in Harbinger. As you can buy all the beasts you need from other players, I'll just play whatever part of the game I find enjoyable.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I was thinking of making a MF QOTF bow Champion as a starter setup with the free hits cannot be evaded, and fortify. Maybe skipping fortify depending on how wonky it is to actually trigger adrenaline. I think it might be pretty easy to toggle an aura with blood magic every 20s then pot and continue mapping? Do we know if skill effect duration will work here?

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

TheRat posted:

Easiest is probably just to use Coruscating Elixir.

That takes up a potion slot though. That and going to 1 life is a bit spooky. Going to 35% means I wouldn't have to worry about a stray projectile or whatever.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Auras don't take that long to cast, and they toggle off instantly. Playing this as hybrid seems like an odd choice based on where I am on the tree and what the goal of the build is. I feel like that would spread me way too thin. We'll see what people come up with that works in practice though.

dis astranagant posted:

2 Midnight Bargains on switch and just running around with ~5% of your life reserved via blood magic clarity seems to be the least dumb way to do it non-hybrid.

This seems like a decent idea.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 23, 2018

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

1.2 second cast time with a 1.2 second cooldown before you can toggle it off. That's a fair bit of time.

They go on cooldown as soon as they are cast. So you can quickly toggle it off. I'm not sure toggling an aura to get a 20 second buff is something I actually want to do while mapping but we'll see.

MMF Freeway posted:

I'd imagine that if you just wanted to get the buff for the boss then the aura method wouldn't be that bad since you can prep it and then go in with a good 15 sec of up time.

This might be more practical. You can toggle an aura while you quickly swap a gem or something.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Gaardean posted:

Use Righteous Fire -> Adrenaline removes it (burning) at 35% -> Triggers Arakaali w/ Arachnoxia recovery boost. Single gem solution.

Yeah, thats another idea. The only problem is waiting for the degen, which means you also can't be killing/leeching. This is probably better if you're only going to use it for bosses though.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 23, 2018

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

As long as it isn't mandatory to wear a full set of items I'm fine with the new uniques. I just wouldn't want the game to go the direction diablo 3 has.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Wow, tailwind is insane. 10-20% faster animation speeds is crazy.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 26, 2018

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

The portal looks awesome, but I already have like 20 portal effects.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Now I wish I would have tried Red Trail flicker this league instead of deciding to wait. Other than that Slayer is the same for the vast majority of builds.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Making bleedsplosions require 4 points is pretty lovely.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

The beastiary stuff ended up being really crazy for high end crafting. The amount of people that actually engage with that though is tiny. I think they also expected us to find interesting beastcrafting recipes and go farm specific maps for those beasts.Like farming Reef for Craicic mobs, but the community just didn't seem interested in that overall.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Blade Vortex should be pretty nice to level with now. It was decent before but was a little annoying until you got spell echo. I'm still fairly torn on what class to go with. Trickster worked really well for me in the flashback, but Elementalist was really fun with the crazy inpulsa chaining too.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 30, 2018

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I've found that Rain of Arrows starts off really strong but starts to fall off pretty hard in higher tier maps. I think this is mostly due to the abysmal base damage of the skill. I'm not done scaling the build yet, so we'll see what else I can squeeze out of it though.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

ThePineapple posted:

I'm new to the game and am having some trouble. I'm following this guide:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519/page/1
I'm level 36 at the moment and just started Act 4, and I feel that while I do good damage (I bought the Mortem Morsu claws that the guide recommended), some monsters / bosses can very quickly burst me down and kill me. Specifically I'm having a lot of trouble getting through The Labyrinth (the level 33 version) - when I get to the second Izaro fight there are many things that seem to take me from full health to almost nothing very quickly. This is annoying because I feel like getting through the labyrinth and getting endless hunger from the slayer class would help this problem! Similarly, I've been doing the temple incursions and there are a few monsters in the full temple itself that can burst me down & kill me very quickly.

Anyone have any tips? One thing is that my chest armor is literally just a normal quality item I use because it had three linked green slots for my ST + 2 support gems, but all of the rest of my gear are various rares / uniques. This is my first time ever playing PoE so any advice is appreciated.

Get a granite flask if you can and try and keep it up for most packs. That should also make Izaro very easy. Also make sure you roll a life flask with instant recovery, either bubbling or seething as the prefix. A lot of things are just getting more experience with the game though.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Alright. So I was trying to craft an ele hit bow and I ended up with the suffixes and the serrated 20% more mod. I figure well, I have to at least slam another prefix just in case I hit +2 bow gems. I end up slamming and annuling poo poo prefixes 5 times before I ended up with this.

I don't really play phys bows so I don't really have a good PoB to plug this into. With max crafted %phys its ~305, and probably divines a bit higher? Is it worth keeping? I'm a bit skeptical because of the low numbers.

edit: Max roll with crafted phys is 338 pdps.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 13, 2018

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

They run around really fast with BV and hope to gain enough souls before dying to run gluttony for the rest of that particular delve path.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Coming back to Synthesis for the 1-month race was such a dramatic difference from launch. It was such unique interesting content compared to the rest of the game. The league actually ended up really good in the end sadly.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Contra Duck posted:

Nah if someone’s posting bad advice about a build that I’ve played and tested with a whole lot of variants and keeps posting at me with snarky bullshit then I’m gonna tell them they’re a dumb gently caress

You're only level 93, either you die a lot of you haven't played that much. Either way your advice is pretty suspect.

edit: After looking at his profile I stand by my statement.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 14, 2020

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

https://pastebin.com/8cnfNaY2

This is the direction I would personally take a build like this.

Drop the abyssus, drop the rest of the crit stuff, get a bunch more life. You really don't need the cinderswallow (you can't ignite anyway) when you have life on block with a decent life pool and leech. You had redundant silver flasks anyway. You also have another flask slot open which can be whatever you like. Since you have a -mana cost chest you can leverage this by getting a reservation enchant and another enlighten to fit in pride which is a huge multiplier abyssus wouldn't have access to.

I replaced the helm with a 100+ life / chaos res / +2 minion gems helm which should be pretty reasonable. The +3 minion gems is a total of ~10% more damage with the Circle of Guilt setup so its definitely worth looking into. Other things you might want to consider in this slot are "Nearby enemies take 9% increased physical damage" which is a warlord suffix, or 25% increased fortify effect for more tankiness which is a crusader suffix. The dream I guess is an awakener orb craft with all this poo poo together.

I replaced the amulet with a bunch of life and stats with physical damage and chaos res, another really easy spot to get 100+ life. Once you get more life on the tree Tenacity is probably your best annoint, if you don't want to spend the oils on it you can annoint any decent damage node like master of force.

For the boots, you can get anything with big res and life/movement speed. You can also get dexterity on this slot if you're not able to get it on the amulet.

All of the chaos res I put on here is mostly QoL, but you want to get as much of it as you can. Its going to make the poison conqueror a total joke, and should make Sirus a bit easier also.

I didn't touch any of the jewels or anything, but you'd probably want to look into improvements. I think most of this gear is reasonable, I haven't looked at the SC market.

Super endgame things you might want to look into if you decide to take the character that far: +2 impale watcher's eye, ailment immunity, divine flesh, vuln on hit 790+ facebreakers (<750 is a sidegrade on anything but trash dps), etc...

You end up with ~4m dps and 6.7k hp with max block and 45% chaos res, which is way more than enough to comfortably do everything in the game. Or you can do 8m dps with 4.8k hp -50% chaos res and abyssus, your choice.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Neon Belly posted:

Started hardcore for the first time this league and it's practically playing SSF. Hard to find anything in trade at all that isn't listed 30+ days ago and never gets a response.

Yeah HC trade is really rough in the last month of the league. I wouldn't recommend it personally. Supply is super low so the prices on a lot of gear spikes way high, or it can't be found at all. And of course a lot of people just don't care to sell anything anymore.

The trade experience is really nice for the first ~4 weeks and goes downhill after that. I usually end up quitting around 1.5 months in for SSF if I want to keep playing.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Can't wait to play Brand VD instead of Spellslinger VD

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I was planning on going SSF this league, but I'm afraid I might be missing out on what could be Synthesis 2.0 item crafting insanity.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I'm worried that mapping is going to feel like poo poo when we no longer have Delirium giving us 2x the density.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Bane is a clear skill, its not really known for its single target. You almost universally use blight for single target on chaos builds.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I feel like they've missed the mark on unique reworks so far. I hope we get some decent ones in the news post later today.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Alright I'll be less pithy.

The challenge types I typically have problems with are conditional bosses, and obviously the huge grinds which I would presumably want to skip.

How do I get better at doing the conditional challenges that tend to be of the form "don't do damage but still stay alive", since I'm bad at the game, can barely stay alive when I am killing stuff quickly and/or leeching, and think those challenges are counter to what the rest of the game needs me to do?

Looking over delirium, excluding the ones I would have easily just bought, I was missing

Encounters III (conditionals)
Betrayal Benches (super RNG)
Vaal Side Areas (RNG, though I expect I could have kept trying)
Encounters V (more conditionals)
Encounters VI (more RNG)
Map bosses (grind)
Leave to Chance (RNG)
Endgame grinds (gently caress that)

Play a tankier build for the conditional boss challenges, it makes them very easy when the boss isn't threatening and you actually have time to figure out what to do.

A lot of grindier challenges I like to keep in mind from the start of the league. I know I need a bunch of map boss kills with delirium so I make sure I prioritize being able to kill the map boss even if I leave some monsters behind. Same idea for vaal side areas, run every one you see starting early rather than leaving a bunch for the end of the league.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I'm fully prepared to sabotage my leaguestart in SSFHC with something dumb like Earthshatter Berserker.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Seems good without any investment for some sort of slam berserker.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I feel like that means they're going to nerf either VD or spellslinger.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I can't believe they just gave it a tiny numerical buff rather than a complete redesign. The item has zero synergy.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I don't expect a spellsinger nerf, but I wouldn't be surprised at a nerf to triggering VD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, I can't say I'm dissappointed that Tarke didn't get hired. I don't find his input on Baeclast particularly insightful.

Making a video about the situation is incredibly unprofessional, and likely with harm his chances with GGG or other studios in the future.