Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Ciaphas posted:

For a 2H slayer, does Lacerate beat out Sunder in any situation besides "i have a godtier sword and therefore cannot sunder"?

Sunder has (base damage: 182% + shockwaves nearby targets for 72.8%) so it just absolutely mulches packs. Lacerate hits for significantly less AoE damage (118%) but what you aim at gets hit twice for 236% since both waves tag it. In AoE situations Sunder is insane since it's hitting any target with dudes nearby for more damage than Lacerate does on single target. Significantly worse AoE, better single target, possibly better for Multistrike since it covers a wider area than Sunder does, and possibly better if you've got something that relies on hitting the target multiple times seems about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Cao Ni Ma posted:

theres no way that ancenstral calls interaction with molten strike is working as intended

It's so beautiful though. You can attack near a boss and have the splashing meatballs land on it plus the Ancestral Call and its meatballs wailing on it, although the positioning to get that right can be finicky.

I've been poking at Path of Building to try to figure out what would work best with it. Claws seem like the best bet because Life on Hit + the insane number of attacks you get with 3 molten strikes making 7 meatballs each is nuts, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to build that since you end up needing all three stats (Str for skills, Dex/Int for claws). I started a Gladiator Duelist but it petered out around level 40, still murdering things but running into stat issues so I wanted to reassess.

This is the first time I'm making my own build instead of following a guide and it's pretty fun, though. Scion into Raider seems like it might be the right build for this too - Abyss gems make those gem nodes pretty tasty and it can pick up some pretty major stat bonuses to 'off-stats', and Dodge should give some decent defenses. Ranger into Raider has a really weird leveling curve since you start out with almost no strength or intelligence, and it's weirdly hard to pick up any decent intelligence nodes with the Ranger start.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

McFrugal posted:

There are multiple options for boosting stats, Astramentis is an easy option.

I did consider that but an Astra costs quite a fair bit for something you want fairly early. Fine for a second build, meh for a league starter.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

ubachung posted:

I tried oro's and terminus flicker last league as both slayer and raider, this time I started with an oro's flicker champion and it's my favourite flicker build so far. Maybe my favourite build I've tried full stop. It clears super fast and has handled most bosses easily, and the biggest threat seems to be desynch.

To be fair though I've been unusually lucky with drops, almost every unique I've found has been useful to my build or worth quite a bit to sell.

Why Champion? I'm interested in giving flicker a try after not being too happy with my scratch-built molten strike raider so I'm looking for ideas.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
You can reduce monster's resistances past 0, in which case it works as a damage multiplier ('more'). If the mob starts at 0% resistance, having 25% resistance penetration is a 25% multiplier on all your damage. This is Good. And that's actually the worst case for resistance penetration. If the mob starts at, say, 75% resistance dropping that down to 50% is doubling your damage.

Elemental penetration really owns.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I'd like an invite for whichWitchGetRich if there's room.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
If there's room in the clan I'd like an invite on toxicityInMyCity.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Having never played either traps or mines but remembering that they looked interesting when they were the new hotness two major patches ago, which makes more sense: Arc Traps or Arc Mines?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Good enough for me, thanks.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Got to the end of A10 and I really am not enjoying Arc Traps much, the playstyle just isn't really clicking with me. Looking at options for something to swap to, I know some people in the thread were talking about doing Armageddon Brand builds. Got any tips?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

George posted:

What class are you?

It'd be a full reroll, so I'm open to whatever. I was playing Sabo though.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Zmej posted:

Armageddon brand with jacked up cast speed sounds like it could be really good if the activation speed is multiplicative and not additive as believed when scaling cast speed

It's not. Someone did some pretty good testing on it to confirm, it's just cast speed but only for the purposes of Brand activation.

I'm still not really feeling brands now that I've started mapping but it might just be that Toxic Rain Trickster last league really spoiled me in terms of clear speed and safety. Thinking about doing some kind of Cold Damage occultist, either CWC Whispering Ice/WO or the Vortex/WO build, but I might just take a bit of a break from the league and see how I feel in a week or so.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Having this happen whenever I try to zone in to the Solaris Temple in A8. Is there a fix other than just trying a clean reinstall? The file checker didn't pull up any issues.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

TheRat posted:

Anyone else have the impression Chris has had a permanent erection since blizzcon?

I heard Einhar say "do you not have any nets, Exile?" so... yeah, he definitely does.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh OK that owns. So that means that with the prerequisite node Shaper of Desolation and +100% shock duration (so it lasts 4 seconds), I should be able to keep anything permanently shocked?

I knew elementalist was good now but I had no idea how good.

Yeees, but your best bet is just crafting a ring with +damage to whatever the types you need to cover. Fire builds with added cold and lighting damage get to slap chill and shock on everything with every hit. Increasing shock duration isn't worth it compared to just constantly shocking.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Papercut posted:

They'll have to change something about betrayal for core, because even in this league it feels like it takes an eternity to do anything with the syndicate unless you're specifically farming them.

It'll probably end up like Niko or Alva, Syndicate show up on the map node and spawn 2-4 times inside that one instance. Possibly along with a buff to intelligence numbers or a nerf to the safehouse requirement.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

ubachung posted:

I think that's a synthesised implicit rather than a broken mod. Not to say there won't be broken mods on jewels.

Don't the synthesized items come from combining broken ones, though? It means that broken ones would need to exist for this to be a thing.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Holy Occultist seems like it might be decent. Go for Profane Bloom/Malediction and the ES nodes, new gloves, and then reap the hell out of the way conversion works. Pretty much anything that's doing full conversion will, actually. The downside is needing to actually cast curses and losing the added non-chaos as chaos if you stop killing, so bosses might be a pain depending on how often adds appear.

One thing I was curious about - they mentioned six new Holy and Chaos gems. Does that mean six of each, with three of each to come, or are the three of each (six total) they announced it?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

MMF Freeway posted:

I read it as six total and they've revealed five in the announcement

Oh right, just went back and we're missing one since the last of the 6 screenshots is the two new auras. Probably one more Chaos skill to come then.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I could use a guild reinvite on IceVortflex.

No idea what I'm going to build and probably won't until the patch notes actually come out though. Am I crazy or is there still an unrevealed Chaos skill? "Six new chaos and holy spells" and we've seen a total of five unless I'm missing something.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I wonder with the increase in sources of ES leech if it would be good to just make an occultist thats focused entirely in damage instead of always picking vile bastion

Maybe? Losing the anti-stun seems like it'd hurt, and I think you get a lot of value out of Wicked Ward because ES Recharge is real strong. I'm not sure picking up just Void Beacon or Profane Bloom (or Forbidden Power) would be worth it if you don't cut both out.

nerox posted:

I am rethinking my occultist starter now just because ES/Curses is going to be so popular that prices for gear are going to be crazy.

Maybe I should just make a go fast raider and darkness farm for fossils an get rich this league.

Chaos is king. As fun as it looks I might switch to something else since it does feel like it's going to be oversaturated, we'll see though. I want patch notes real bad.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

boo_radley posted:

Remember this morning when we all though arc was getting nerfed? It's gonna have a shorter chain distance, faster cast speed.

And less damage. Better for hard casting, worse for traps.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Zmej posted:

EB MoM occultist is better now and much cheap starter than CI. you don't need any ES on gear except maybe the craft of "% life gained as ES" and slap on a discipline. watch everyone start as CI then flame out because they didn't consider CI as a starter is pretty rough. people still don't really realize how good devouring diadem is, so you can snag that for cheap I bet

That's an interesting idea. Do you skip the occultist es nodes then?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
My instinct is Ghost Dance won't be that good because of how you're getting pulled in three different directions, stat-wise, and the timing restrictions but I'm probably wrong on that. It seems like you'd be vulnerable to just getting blown the gently caress up no matter what your evade chance is if you don't have a ton of raw life/ES.

Huge ED buff is interesting but I'm really interested in doing something channeling-wise. The revamped support gem seems like it'll be very good for CWC shenanigans too, which helps.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Filthy Monkey posted:

Eh, I feel like a ghost dance trickster doesn't actually want to stack all that much energy shield. It isn't like you are getting 5% of your energy shield back when you eat a shroud. You are getting 5% of your evasion back as energy shield when you eat a shroud. I feel like it is way more about stacking evasion, and having 'just enough' energy shield to act as a buffer and get benefit out of shroud munching.

If anything, I would probably just play it as a life character with a shitton of evasion that has a small pingponging energy shield buffer. I wouldn't focus on energy shield recovery at all, since it isn't like you have vile ward or anything. You could even add in MoM.

I guess that makes sense. So stack life/evasion, dodge chance and then just a bit of ES. Are there any uniques that would be especially good for this? Soul Tether comes to mind but I'm not sure it would actually help.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

MMF Freeway posted:

Typo with arma brand makes it look way worse than it is but still it didn't really need a nerf at all lol

It doesn't take into account the reduction in firing speed either, which seems like it'd hurt. It should be at ~84.4% if you don't include that and ~79.1% if you do.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
That Consecrated Path build looks fairly fun and it should take advantage of the buff to Consecration this patch. I wonder if it'd make sense to run it as Inquisitor instead of Elementalist, though? Or split the difference and run something like Scion Inquis/Elementalist.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
It has a 1s CD according to Reddit.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

George posted:

Pretty sure it's only a two-link with a third socket.

Also, for anyone thinking of doing Mathil's Cons Path build you should know that he went Elementalist only because of how she holds the sword. I modified it into Pathfinder and it slapped.

Got a link to your build? I've never done much in the Ranger area so I'm having trouble deciding what to path for and where.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Holy poo poo Energy Leech Support. That's enough to almost not want to care about the ES leech on the tree, considering how much damage it gives.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Vasudus posted:

I probably won't be using the ES leech gem at least on my Occultist. You get delicious ES recovery leech things on the tree. Maybe if I was doing a build that wasn't near both hubs.

Well, it also only affects hits, right? It's probably bad if you're doing any kind of DoT build including Soulrend, where the native leech is just going to be off the hit and not that crazy DoT.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Ayndin posted:

So for Soulrend/Bane CI Occultist:

• Ascendancy order probably Wicked Ward, Vile Bastion, Profane Bloom, Malediction?
  • How worthwhile is using a staff for two 6L? Not offhand sure how much ES you lose without a shield, but it seems like it'd be a bunch, and maybe there'll be some nice new affixes around on gloves/hat/boots that can support Soulrend?

Otherwise I look forward to being one of the 30% of players playing this build and paying out the rear end for gear!

Swap Vile Bastion to the end, you don't need it until later and getting the bonus curse is going to help a lot in damage and survival with Bane. Level as hybrid and swap to CI when you start mapping. No idea for the second question but it'll depend on which one you want to be your 'primary' if you have to choose, Bane or Soulrend. The other option would be Bane in a 6-link and Essence Drain in a 4-link or pseudo 5-link, then grab Zealot's Oath at some point. You're going to want to path that way at some point for Spiritual Aid anyway.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

George posted:

I'll get you when I get home. You want a PoB?

Or a character link, whichever.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

George posted:

PoB Pastebin. I tweaked the Voidforge rolls so the math checks out.

I think this was a build for Delve, but it's all a part of the tree that hasn't been messed with much.

Thanks, this helps a lot. It more or less checks out with what I'd been looking at although I'm going to drop some tweaks in - Winter Spirit seems really good for this for three points and it's right there, and it's probably worth tunneling up to the Scion life node at some point since it's only 4 away from the jewel. What order did you level in, tunneling towards Shadow or Duelist/Marauder/Templar first? My inclination is to beeline the Duelist and Marauder stuff first since it's generic damage or two-handed stuff but after that I'm less sure.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

AegisP posted:

Hmmm, I was going to just redo HoAg max block Gladiator like last league because it was immortal as all hell, but I'm wondering whether I might be able to fit Soulrend in there instead of Molten Strike.

Poison support does say Skills instead of Attacks, so I'd still be poisoning, and I would be able to use Cybil's Paw, my favourite item in the game, so it's honestly tempting.

Isn't the point of molten strike with HoAg how fast it can stack poison and thus virulence stacks? Soulrend is pretty slow.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Vasudus posted:

http://poeurl.com/cix9

I mean here's something insanely basic with like 30 points to play with. The point of the matter is that you need to get as much burning related goodies as possible and focus on DoT damage. Get yourself a tabula and hope you corrupt it for some kind of gems bonus.

Doesn't generic spell damage not affect the ignite? Or is it just for the initial hit and since you can't really avoid it.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Bugsy posted:

Only endurance charges.

Maybe its not bug, but I would not plan around it for 3.6.

Expect face rings with all of the heralds. And they are pieces for crafting as well.

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1103874991060267008

I wonder if it'll be just for the elemental heralds or if they'll add one for Purity/Agony as well.

e: I slapped together a modified PoB for Fireball Elementalist, mostly trying to minimize nodes that don't help (Spell Damage, etc). It makes the initial pathing a little awkward but you could always grab the early spell damage nodes around the Witch start and then respec out of them later. Pastebin link. I won't claim to be an expert on this build at all but it looks pretty good to me, so your mileage may vary.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 8, 2019

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Nezkar posted:

they've already posted the agony version

Oh, duh. I forgot about that one.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Thinking about calling an audible to either Holy Flame totem or ignite fireball. Anyone have a good build for the former? Never done totems before really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
What do people think the chances are that they unfuck the league? Wondering if it's worth popping on to snag a Voidforge and screw around with a melee character after the patch or not.