Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I think I'm figuring out a good build, it's just a matter of seeing how it works in practice because calculating this in PoB is gonna be difficult.

The gist is that Call of Steel is a *massive* buff to the Impaler node. Normally you're going to kill enemies too fast to stack up impales, but Impaler allows you to stack 5 impales on any enemy you kill. Call of Steel can shotgun and has a decent AoE to it, so if you use a slow hard hitting weapon and then use Call, you can shotgun rares and uniques to death. I'm trying to optimize an Assassin build taking advantage of the crit and damage bonuses at full hp to create massive impales which then kill everything else. You can use Vaal Breach to summon enemies during bosses, and each enemy serves as a more multiplier for your damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

RPZip posted:

I... hm. That's actually a really good idea. I'm guessing that you can't reapply them to corpses but that still gives you a lot of shotgun capability. Writhing Jar is probably going to be helpful too.

I also noticed that Call of Steel has some really nice pseudo-threshold jewels.

Jewels
Writhing Jar unfortunately wouldn't work because the worms don't leave a corpse and I'm pretty sure Call of Steel needs corpses in order to work. That was my first goto as well, but Vaal Breach can work just as well. However it would still be worthwhile to use a jar if you also equip a Great Old One's Tentacles since not only would that double dip on your regular explosions but it would also allow you to trigger the effect on the tentacles against bosses giving you the chance to double+ dip on your instant impale stacks.

The big thing I want is the increased reflection damage + AoE. I can't tell if the increased reflection mod counts as a more multiplier or not, since it's technically separate from impale effect. Generic AoE increases seem to work on the AoE for CoS too, but the base AoE already feels pretty good that I don't think more investment will be necessary.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Trip report: Shattering Steel owns bones if you build for 2h impale proliferation.

Currently level 90 and have had zero trouble progressing through red maps. It scales as well as I hoped it would, thanks to the shotgunning mechanic of Call of Steel.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Estraysian posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3008762

Ascendancy changes. Site is getting hammered though.
With a few notable exceptions, this seems like a lot of ascendancys got straight nerfs. Assassin and Necromancer got hit hard and there's a lot of removal of smaller stats without enough of an increase in the main stat.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

a lot of those removed stats were just randomly tossed in 'here's some random large % to obviously turn this ascendancy into broken tier'. i think this is ultimately healthier in terms of promoting diversity in builds
But that's literally path of exile in a nutshell, no? It's all about stacking % increases to define your build in a certain way. If an ascendancy node ends up providing a very small power increase for your build then builds simply won't take it, and what I see is a lot of power being taken away from certain ascendancies and not enough buffs to the ones that were already underplayed.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I'm not convinced by their 'reward improvements' at all because I don't think they fundamentally understand why people found Harvest so compelling and figured out how to make drops actually worthwhile. Especially since they nerfed Talismans for some reason which means they go right back into the trashcan. Introducing a veiled chaos orb is a massive joke too and I think they're still stuck in the era of people chaos spamming stuff to get what they want.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Honestly I'm having as much fun or maybe more reading this drama and making fun of GGG while they chaos spam their nginx configs trying to get this working.
unfortunate that they nerfed deterministic crafting this league. would've made it easier to roll the right mods on their server config.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
GGG is this close to understanding the issues behind Path of Exile but then swings in the wrong direction to try and fix them.

The game was harder in closed beta not just because of power creep numerically, but power creep strategically. Now that the game has evolved and the mechanics are known, you can't put the lid back on the optimization box. Heavily nerfing support gems doesn't fix the power creep issues and only hurts the less optimized builds. 40-50% of 50m is still 25m and enough to delete the game, but 40-50% of 1m is the difference between killing a boss in a reasonable time or not. Similarly flask use evolved because dealing with statuses is a binary do or die thing. If you get frozen and don't immediately remove it you die. Same for bleed and a large variety of curses.

Plus loot has evolved to require you to speed through maps and bosses in order to get anything done in a reasonable timeframe. Then at the same time they keep really silly stuff in the game like not fully stacking currency / shards because they view QoL changes as devaluing your loot time or something.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I almost exclusively play SSF and that's why I found Harvest to be my favorite league because it was possible to go for the harder content without having to spend five years grinding content.

I feel like this league is gonna be a shitshow because a lot of their nerfs and changes will impact either people that do off-meta builds or people in SSF the hardest. Not being able to get curse immunity or ailment immunity and losing a ton of defensive stats means a lot of maps are going to be completely out of your reach. So I'm gonna sit this one out and see how it develops.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
the funniest thing about the act 1 bit is that like, the game is already plenty difficult for people new to the genre or fresh to PoE because they have zero clue about what skills are good or resistances or flasks etc.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Some brief thoughts: As powerful as diamond flasks were, they were practically necessary in order to get critical builds off the ground so they're gonna be in the dumpster for awhile. And they keep attempting to push poison crit builds when part of the problem is that you're spreading out your stats for something that ends up being worse than if you focused on one or the other. This combined with how hard it is to actually scale poison means it's still not gonna see much play.

Also, they still don't seem to understand why no one uses Firestorm.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

There is finally a reason to play Firestorm at least. Just need to figure out what build to go with it.
I think Firestorm is still going to be strictly inferior to Fireball unfortunately. The added damage effectiveness + far higher base damage means you can scale it better either on its own or in an ignite setup.

I've tried making it work and they'd need a far higher buff to make it usable.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

search engine posted:

There was a lot more here but this part stuck out. There is a solution to handling boss fights other than attrition and dps racing. It's to make builds that are durable enough to not die the second they make a mistake. Granted, this may come at the cost of some dps or map clear speed, one or the other of which many people seem to hold as the absolute pinnacle of importance. That's an opinion and it's fine to have, but there are other options. I'm not saying you won't still die occasionally, especially to new bosses, but you will learn way faster if you have to really screw up to actually die instead of lose 2/3 of your health, mash a flask, and reset.

For example, I'm on the same page in thinking that the trialmaster thing this league was kinda dumb, and the fight itself wasn't very interesting. I only hit it a few times and I genuinely had no idea what was even happening for parts of it. I ate some hits from skills that were hard to read. None of them killed me though. I had time to recover and continue the fight. Similar experiences with Maven and Sirus when they came out (though I'd say both are way better designed than the trialmaster and easier to read, Maven especially).
the problem is that when you make your build more durable, you are in all likelihood significantly slowing down your progression. So sure you can make it so you can tank hits from Sirus straight up, but it then takes you four to five times as long to actually reach Sirus as opposed to someone who can't take a hit and dies a few times along the way. There's also the issue of the fact that you kill things slower means that there are more opportunities for things to straight up kill you during boss fights. So the best option is to be so durable as to be unkillable (which trivializes the boss) or to kill the boss fast enough that they do nothing (which trivializes the boss). The narrow band in the middle is something most builds try to avoid at all costs.

Clear speed is one of the most important metrics especially if you're in SSF because more loot = more chances to advance and get stronger. And as long as they keep slowing down the game this becomes more of an issue because the quickest way to get stronger is to run faster on the treadmill.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 20, 2021

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Cinara posted:

Because no one responded to this. Poison was in a fine spot before, the issue is that the best poison builds by far were Assassin abusing the duration node that got completely annihilated. On top of this Coralito's got gutted into near worthlessness and it was a significant portion of damage. Non-assassin poison builds are likely going to end up in a similar-ish spot to where they were before, but after the elder weapon nerf a couple leagues ago it's not top tier. Some builds might be buffed, but the only ones that were are builds that were not exactly that strong in the first place.
They're likely going to be in an even worse state because they also gutted damage over time multipliers from cluster jewels which were one of the few remaining ways you could invest into and scale poison damage.

So I'm not sure how exactly GGG expects people to make poison work when it's so hard to actually scale it.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Wow those act 1 changes are awful. Exactly what I wanted, every monster to take 50% longer to kill when you have no gear.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Erulisse posted:

:justpost: but conditional
in order to ensure the posting meta is properly balanced we're making it so you have to now pay :10bux: for every post.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Magus42 posted:

Because that's not what was said. It's trivial to find the info.
the issue isn't just the accessibility of the info, it's how much information and mechanics you have to intrinsically understand to figure out how your build works in addition to that sometimes the information is literally out of date or lacking.

for example the way the game describes Ailments is a great starting point. now let's say you decide to run a Cold Snap build and you pick up Hypothermia, a cold-related support gem. you think to yourself that this gem would be perfect for the build, but cold damage over time is not in fact an ailment, and only the hit portion is scaled by Hypothermia's bonus damage against chilled enemies.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Not a fan of what they've done. The league mechanic itself is fine, but all of the balance changes and reduced defenses have completely hosed early mapping especially in SSF. You simply cannot build enough defenses and flasks are almost worthless for defenses in most cases. Like great you can mitigate a single freeze, but then you don't have enough charges for the next pack and you get frozen. Or bled. In their attempt to rework flasks they've made all of them except for quicksilver almost universally worthless even if you use the new currency.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

McFrugal posted:

What reduced defenses? AFAIK all they changed was flasks and base evasion.
Reduced ways of getting ailment immunity and dumpstering defenses from flasks.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Personally I think they should add immunity modifiers to maps and have every map roll with at least 1-3 immunities depending on the tier of the map. Don't like it, just read the map and reroll. Easy.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

A single node with immunity does not prevent you from doing the content unless you have a simple gorilla brain and just slam down the tnt on it without thinking

You're self reporting here
have you done any expedition maps yet?

because not only are there multiple nodes with 'gently caress you' levels of modifiers sometimes it can result in significantly less loot because you're unfortunately The Wrong Build.

also the fact that 'it's just a single modifier just ignore it' doesn't make the modifier any less poo poo. Like reflect maps they only exist in a binary 'you can do it or you can't' choice and they don't significantly alter how you play.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
i am very familiar with the problem of pathfinding and graph theory, but all of that is irrelevant to the actual player experience and how players perceive something.

players don't like feeling that they're being punished for playing a specific build. 'well just avoid those modifiers, dummy' you say, but I will keep repeating that maps have the same problem and people hate mods like no regen, or reflect because those modifiers explicitly only exist to punish certain types of builds and players.

so when people encounter a modifier gating something they actually want (like say, 35% unique chance or logbooks) that they cannot do, they're going to see that as incredibly negative. because it's RNG within RNG, first you have to hope the league rolls what you want and then you also have to hope the league doesn't decide to give the middle finger specifically to your build. which results in a large loot variance because some modifiers hit more builds than others. my berserker vaal pact build literally cannot do the no leech, no flask and phys immune nodes which can sometimes constitute a large amount of the modifiers i see in expeditions. why they decided to double down on something they know players generally dislike is beyond me but that's probably why people are quitting when they get to maps.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 25, 2021

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I truly and honestly believe it be a non issue, I have a good build with good gear that will likely take me to red maps. VP zerk league starter sounds real risky and I'm not surprised you struggle with the content tbh
weird how it's never been a problem in prior leagues except the one where they triple nerf defensive options and add things specifically to counter physical berserkers.

considering I've taken berserker to red maps and beyond in SSF just fine prior it must be a coincidence.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

InventorOfTrees posted:

if your build is bricked on cannot leach, phys immune, and cannot use flasks, then your build is poo poo, hth
would love for you to explain to me where else you can get freeze/bleed immunity outside of the short, lovely bits you get on flasks.

the only remaining bits on the trees are from the bottom right side of the tree and even with heavy investment you can at best get 70% chance to avoid freeze. which means 30% of the time you still straight up die when frozen.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

InventorOfTrees posted:

5c until you can afford a more elegant solution

you can even get one of these with poison/bleed immune in a few weeks if you want to keep using it
thank you, your noted efforts to get me to trade while I've mentioned multiple times I play SSF are greatly appreciated. let me use my non-existent dream fragments to replace the freeze flasks I used to craft cheaply to prevent a mechanic that is awful on all levels to engage with.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

If making content that certain builds can't do is bad, why is it not bad that endgame bosses are hard, and for some builds basically impossible?

this is me honestly attempting to gloss the anti reflect argument as simply as possible. I'm not trying to straw man. There's even things like tree nodes or sibyl's so it's not even a build issue - you can choose not to use the tools available, sure, but even these binary things offer players tradeoff choices.
the tree nodes and sibyl's literally do not do enough to stop reflect damage from straight up killing you. you can have 80% reduced reflected damage taken and most builds will still blow themselves up the first time they attack a pack because of how reflect works and how much damage you do.

and that said it's amazing that people are still missing the point, which is that ailment immunity for a lot of builds is still far out of reach. that's why flasks existed. I've always ran and played SSF with no problem because I design my builds in mind with what's available, and what's not available for a lot of builds is any way to actually deal with freeze/bleed.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
removal, not immunity and it won't remove freeze unless you have some freeze reduction because otherwise you can't cast any actions (i've tried this before)

and aquamarine currently only works if you use it before you're frozen, not after. so you have to somehow maintain 100% uptime on aquamarine which isn't possible outside of pathfinder due to the reduction in charges gained in maps.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

also, re: immunity mods: some of you older players are loving pricks and it's really annoying how 90% of your advice is either 'get good' or 'not a problem for me :agesilaus:'. Stfu. Not helpful, ever. especially not to be all 'ssf is a challenge'. it is, sure, but to be frank the last 2-3 leagues I just quit as soon as I had to buy more than one item in the same hour because it's just that unfun. it doesn't bother some people but i usually just deal with floor loot because it's less frustrating
i just find it the funniest poo poo because going "heh MY build has no problems:" has such a wide range when it comes to PoE. like anyone that finds an ex or two early on in a league can make a build that smashes all content or you could be doing one of the few remaining ascendancies that can completely avoid the ailment problem. even terrible builds can just be straight up carried with enough currency invested.

which is why I've been playing SSF for the past few years since I enjoy the challenge of crafting gear and working with the bare minimum and slowly building up something better. then this league they kick out the ladder for a lot of cheap options.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

I do not agree with this

more generally, and re: the "git gud" complaints, i don't think people are saying this. i think people are saying that the game is the way it is. you have to plan your build taking into account the various ways the game is dangerous. you have tools to deal with freeze, or whatever else is making life hard for you, and if you choose not to use them the problem is not with the game, the problem is with your choices. that said, it's totally cool to say that you don't like the game, or you don't think the game design is fun, or the like. but it's pretty loving weird to post things like "ailment immunity is out of reach", a statement which is false, and get mad when people tell you how to deal with the issue. similarly, if you don't like the ssf experience, buy some poo poo on trade. if you don't like trading either, that sucks for you. sorry. either you like other parts of the game enough to tough out the bits you don't like, or you don't. figure out which it is.
it's not exactly hard to compare ailment immunity in the past leagues vs now, which is that you have to make some pretty big tradeoffs (either devoting entire gear slots or pathing to very specific and far areas of the tree) to deal with mechanics that are either you completely negate it or you die.

and this passive aggressive stuff behavior going on because people think some of their changes are dumb is incredibly petty. you're right in one aspect though and the end result is that i'm just not going to play Path of Exile anymore and will stick to other ARPGs that aren't completely bending the entire game in the goal of a nebulous vision.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

yes, they made it harder to get ailment immunity. like they said they would. something that you apparently didn't take seriously, and didn't plan for.
of the top 5 ssfhc characters right now, 2 have ailment immunity (the raiders) and 3 don't (the gladiators) - they're using flasks that trigger when frozen and maybe pantheon. completely negate it or die is just incorrect.
ssfhc is an incredibly poor metric to pick from lol because almost everyone at the top of the ladder is going to have a logout macro ready to go the moment they see danger and they're going to focus on absolute defense over everything else to prevent being one shot. which is why glad and raider are so popular.

guess I should add a logout flask for ailment removal.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

so you're saying you have options to build around the problems your character has, have chosen not to use them, and therefore "ailment immunity is far out of reach" and "what's not available for a lot of builds is any way to actually deal with freeze/bleed". great take, really love it.
i mean surprise, every ascendency has different opportunity costs for dealing with different ailments. i didn't realize saying that 'berserker has no innate way to deal with ailments and removing ailment immunity from flasks heavily impacts them' was such a hot take but I guess it is nowadays. i could just equip wanderlust (lol) but then I lose a significant chunk of armor and life, further hurting survivability. not to mention the nerf to granite flask means molten shell is far less juiced which is far less average ehp.

but keep being weirdly aggressive.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

12 rats tied together posted:

genuine suggestion you probably want kaom's roots on a berserker anyway, since you have so much free attack speed that it's not really a big deal if your base walk speed is low
kaom's roots would've been one of my chase uniques for sure; although the 'cannot evade' kind of sucks since the blind from flesh and stone is a significant defensive option. i've had a fair amount of success with rage vortex because having that out and constantly leeching for you helps when you get stunned or frozen.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

fwiw i dont think FZeroRacer is wrong because, while options do exist to mitigate some of their concerns, those options require you to progress through the game without them first. if SSF requires you to start with one of a handful of 0 requirements builds so you can farm gear for the character you want to play, that sucks and its worse than before, and i don't think it's a very dishonest thing to say

i dont understand playing SSF in general though unless you are a streamer and you get paid for it, or if you have a ton of free time and no other games to play
i play through SSF because I can't stand the currency hoarding system otherwise. If you're playing through normally there is never, ever a reason to use your chaos or your exalts when you could just spend them on buying better gear that someone else rolled or found. So crafting almost entirely goes away unless you're a hyper rich player making very specific gear.

In a loot-based RPG having all of your loot be almost invalidated because you could just buy better loot with the currency you find feels bad for me. There's almost no reason to fight certain bosses or go down certain league paths outside of just finding more things to liquify into currency to fuel trading for better gear.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

the problem with that is that, as a loot based rpg, its simply a bad game. poe at its core is an exalted orb noise slot machine
i'd disagree except they keep removing and/or nerfing all forms of deterministic crafting or tweaking your gear :smith:

though if you're familiar with how Rog works he's a miracle for SSF because he can craft you some amazing high level gear in early maps

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

hot take: the world is sleeping on Rage Vortex
rage vortex is good but it just has too many conditionals keeping it from being great.

* must be used on a berserker (or with an expensive timeless jewel)
* requires constant rage building
* requires a lot of boss setup to work properly

so the best way to use it for bossing is to go in with max rage, intimidating cry, berserk, phase run, then drop rage vortex and start cycloning around the boss. for clear you can be a bit looser but it's also inconsistent because sometimes it'll just fly past enemies requiring you to clean up or drag them back inside. getting a bit of duration also helps increase the damage it does provided you can keep them inside the vortex

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
It should count. All three effects are not reflect and are hit-based. Scold's Bridle is the odd one out because it has no base damage and cannot ignite. Why? Mechanics.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 26, 2021

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
one of the best flask setups you can use as an armor build is basalt with charges gained when hit and the enchant that makes it automatically use when full

that guarantees full uptime during most fights and goes a long ways towards boosting the effectiveness of your molten shell.

i'm currently not very convinced by enkindling orbs since the buffs are generally not strong enough to offset the downside of significantly lower charge generation.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

For me the flask changes are interesting but a complete wash. This idea wasn't baked enough.
i think they should just undo the flask changes but keep in instilling orbs and make them more common, plus add in even more triggers.

for some builds flask pianoing is still going to be a problem. and for the most part i don't think it's ever possible to push flasks in the direction they want (as in them being more reactive) because so much of PoE goes against that. they would have to straight up overhaul all ailments and fix the glaring visibility issues that the game still has in addition to slowing things down.

because for the most part, trying to react to being frozen/bled when you have fifty million effects going off at once and hundreds of enemies firing at you means that even a split second of inattention is death. having to dedicate a flask slot to become immune to freeze or bleed is still opportunity cost because that's a slot that could go to a flask that increases dps or survivability in other ways, which is why I'm perfectly fine with treating flasks as equipment to let you better fine tune your immunities.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
part of the problem with path of exile's difficulty tuning is that they want every single enemy to be potentially dangerous. but when you're going through maps you can't sit there and evaluate how dangerous a pack of enemies actually is because there's often multiple rares and blues with multiple affixes some of which are useless and some of which are Death depending on who it lands on. see: enhanced physical damage, powerful crit affixes on large vaal enemies or the cage enemies. then you have various mechanics which vomit out rares and expect you to just generically deal with them. this is why rare monsters with reflect auras were removed because you'd just walk up to a pack and die instantly when you swing.

so sometimes you run up to a group of enemies and die because whoops turns out they can all freeze you and unless you had your anti-freeze button pre-pressed odds are you die.

if they wanted to fix this problem they'd need to standardize the levels of power between packs. less rare enemies that drop more loot but are correspondingly more dangerous and whose attacks are better telegraphed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
you know, perhaps 'the fun part of an ARPG is the gearing and the journey' and 'the acts and time it takes to get to maps sucks rear end' aren't mutually exclusive?

it's not like when you get to maps suddenly your build is Complete, Done and Over. there's a lot of micro optimizations to be made, gear to be found and content to test your build against.

because from a pure optimization perspective it's not fun to go through the acts using the same leveling gear + gems as everyone else because the build you actually enjoy is almost unplayable until you get 60 points in, two labs and proper links + skill gems. you could try leveling using said skill but there's a fair amount of skills that simply do not work until you build for them.