Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

What carries over into new leagues? There's a couple like end-game progression things right? And Scion?

I've started and stopped a couple times and was gonna jump in (hype to finally run this natively on Mac!) but I thought Scourge started today, not in a week? And I'm feeling the itch hard tonight.

I've never actually finished the current version of the story, is it worth messing with that in Standard with the characters I have from I think Heist? If not maybe I'll do some hardcore stuff to tide me over. (Or try Royale, Gauntlets and challenge leagues were some of the most fun I had with this game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

How rare are the tainted mythic orbs? I got one early act 2 and idk if I should try for a Tabula or something or save it or sell it

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Noper Q posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/exchange/Scourge/e2bzEVbiL

Currently worth for 6-8c. Who knows what that'll look like after trade settles later in the league.

Hell yeah, and thanks for linking that! I thought there were only janky 3rd party things

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Playing minions and I'm doing well I think? Got a watchstone and the only time I die is to map mod/ground effect stuff. I started playing this game before you could vendor gems (very off and on) and this is my first time doing maps/endgame. Amazing what a computer that doesn't crash when I cast too big of a spell or open a strongbox does.

But I'm getting bored and would like to play something more clicky. Anyone got any reccomendations for a build that does like melee or elemental spells and clears well? My two favorite characters to play were molten strike marauder and arc witch but those both got nerfed hard right? I'm not too worried about league start stuff because I can do the content/farming on this other char, but I mean being able to boss would be cool too.

Right now I'm kinda in between Flicker Strike or one of those Templars w/ ignite but not sold on either. Also really enjoyed leveling a Rain of Arrows pathfinder but TR isn't really doing it for me for some reason.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks everyone, that Arc/Ignite is seeming like exactly what I want.

Slams would be cool too but not if they just got nerfed lol

whypick1 posted:

tbf, your computer might have had absolutely nothing to do with either of those crashes happening.

Not to like praise the older netcode or anything but both machines were under-specced macbooks with various versions of the mac client or bootcamp (running cracked XP) depending on when. I literally couldn't turn the graphics down low enough.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

What atlas passives is everyone rocking?

Like any must skips/gets? Particularly for Cairns/Hamlet. Or is it just down to what content I prefer?

Expedition & Delirium seemed obvious (as did skipping Rogue Exiles), not sure about Harbinger and Beyond (and a couple other things I haven't run in to yet?)

I've heard people say Metamorph and Essences, which both seemed counterintuitive, but I'm not sure I really get Metamorph

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hamelekim posted:

Check out the art used in the tweet. Looks familiar.

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1472683403988574209

Was about to post I saw it on the login screen. Hell yeah op!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

We listen to podcasts sometimes at work and someone put on I think Myths and Legends and it was a Polynesian/Hawiian creation myth and about halfway through it I realized that the flavor text for the Kitava's Torments quest was straight jacked from there

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Argh I wasn't done w/ scourge! I didn't realize it ended today. Had a few pretty low hanging fruit challenges (got 22) and also I kinda wanted to do some endgame stuff.

This was my first league hitting endgame, and I've been playing off and on since gem vendors. I used to just play hardcore in the league of the month and die a lot and never really learned the game. I got to Act 6 on a Molten Strike Jugg in Heist and then got stuck at Brine King, and until now that was the farthest I ever got.

(I mentioned the above and was given a Headhunter by someone in chat (/420 :420:) so this is probably my peak power as well)

I did Kay's minion army -> skele mages and it was a lot of fun. Reminded me of Bard in FFXI - I was there to buff everyone and pull mobs to my melee ball, and they were there to kill everything and protect me. Not a bad way to learn content (other than endgame bosses) because your team is a wonderful safety blanket. Zombies stay really good for a long time and then skeletons get OP.

I made 5 ex this league - 1 expedition drop, 1 Tujen haggle, 1 shard turn in from harbinger passives (and Tujen), 1 pickup on a T11 blue map, and selling an Eradicator map right after it dropped in my first 4 watchstone map to someone yesterday. I just got a Tailwind boots drop today so could have maybe done 1-2 more.

I got to A7, and have just met Sirus. I tried conqs too early and didn't realize how strong I had gotten for a while, and then I wanted to farm up skele mage stuff so I did that for probably too long. I also leveled a Ngamahu's Cyclone chieftan in there (my favorite D3 builds were cyclone and hammers). I gave up on farming items eventually (I was mostly SSF in trade) and just bought fleshcrafter/maw of madness/jewel. This game is a lot easier when you work with other people!

My goal was to complete all the maps. Did not make it, I have maybe 1-2 in each region left. My favorite content to do was breaches, but I didn't get to run any of the breach stones. My favorite to have done is Expedition because thats where I made all my money. My least favorite is Syndicate cause its either deadly or tedious but I also can't ignore it because the crafts are so good. I found myself grabbing Einhar or Niko missions on like conq maps just so I wouldn't get Ambush or something and end up with 2 portals by the time I got to the actual fight.

Next league I'm gonna play either something w/ bows or poison helix or traps. I had a great time with phys traps during Endless Delve except I really didn't like Exsanguinate. Thinking about doing that again and just rocking it or maybe finding an ice trap build.

Are there any decent mine builds? I kind like the set and then detonate thing and I have come to love Skitterbots.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Ruggan posted:

Skelly mages is fine, but I can always hear the alluring call of cyclone in the background

Literally me last league. Ngamahu's is pretty cheap to get going if you're not looking at CoC

Anyway I'm also kind of hitting a wall with my poison helix assassin. My gear is poo poo, granted, but I feel like I'm hitting a wall with what it can do. I can do T16s and clear is a breeze (I feel almost immortal in big packs) but the bosses take forever and lots of stuff one-hits me even with capped suppression, so it feels kinda like dark souls a lot of the time. And I'm running out of things to scale. At least I got a brother's stash, so whatever I do next should be easy.

I was gonna do Arc Elementalist next (and grabbed items for it) but I'm not sure it's gonna be different. So, Seismic Traps it is, which should solve my bossing problems.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

PoE runs the best it ever has for me on an M1 mac. I'm shocked and I don't think my settings are cranked or anything but the only stuff that really slows me now is serverside

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

How do I list stuff for sale?

I need a special stash tab right? I think some of mine are (grabbed a bundle or two last league) but I can't tell from the UI which they are.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I had 2 maven invitations drop last night - 1 for atlas on one Exarch map, then another for Hidden on the next Exarch map I did.

whats going on? I'm like 4/10 on Maven (did a 10 already) and haven't even fought breachlords. I put one in to the map device and got a "warning: haven't witnessed enough bosses" message, are they just like teasers?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Is there a minimum level for shaper/elder gear dropping? I'm running maps with their scarabs and not getting anything (but not T16s usually)

Anything obvious I might be missing?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I get plenty of frenzies but haven't seen a bombardier in like a week. I'm sure it comes down to subconscious modifier/tileset preferences or something but its freakin' obnoxious.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

if you run them exarched you'll even make a profit on it from the invitations

what's going on with this? like why are the fire guys more expensive for everything? Are people just chasing Ashes really hard?

I definitely prefer the Black Star/Exarch fights and the drops are better (now) so it was a no-brainer to head there once I heard the majority was doing Eater like day 2-3 but it seems like it would have balanced a bit by now? And the Eater mobs are way rippier for me. Kinda made sense when Omniscience was only like 1c vs multiple ex for a good Ashes but it seems like thats flipped too?

I've heard people talk about the Eater altars being really good but I've heard that about the Exarch ones (less, albeit) and afaict they're the same.

What am I missing? Is it an atlas tree thing?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

Honestly the second and third reasons aren't good ones any more, but like the PoE meta shifts around for not entirely rational reasons, I think a lot of people form an opinion (ie, exarch rippy, eater lucrative) early in the league and stick to the strategy they know works even if the reasons for it aren't as valid anymore.

*nodding, especially at this part*

I also am seeing the expensive Eater currency at like 2x Exarchs so I'm assuming there's some ultra-endgame crafting thing going on too

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

So ah...

Black Sun Crest. Been in vogue because of Omniscience. It uhhh kinda looks like the Nazi "Black Sun" symbol to me? (Been in the news recently). Is this just me?

Not accusing GGG of being secret fascists or anything but idk I feel a little weird about my character wearing it

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 7, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

How do all the endgame bosses rank in difficulty? This is my first time doing a lot of the stuff, I think I tried an elder guardian last league? But it was very juiced which made me think the fights were a lot harder than they end up being. And then the new bosses feel easier than conquerors to me. Anyway now I'm clearing guardians okay (Maven Eradicator kinda sucked), killed witnessed breachlords but couldn't do The Hidden, and gearing up to do Elder/Shaper/Sirus for the first time ever. So in my mind its like

Maven Atlas
Eldritch (all of em)
Elder guardians
conquers
Shaper guardians
Synthesis stuff
Maven special (Hidden, twisted, feared etc)

But where do Elder/Shaper/Uber Elder go? What about Atziri?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

whypick1 posted:

I learned this lesson the hard way this league :smith:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Did Elder for the first time! You all were right that was... nothing. The Maven Baran map I did right before to warm up was harder I think? Dropped a Watcher's Eye that sold really quickly for 40c (though I didn't get a ton of spam or anything), so I searched trade after the fact and it was like at least 3ex. Oh well, that feels like its part of the process somehow and I'm not hurting for currency this league. Next up Shaper!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Fought Sirus twice last night, bricked both!

What an annoying fight! 3 screens to get back to the arena, a maze to find him, the first fight he killed me twice and accidentally dodging into storms in the arena were the other 4. The first fight I think I had to pull him off the throne like 10 times, the second was much more efficient. I probably would have gotten it round 2... but I dodged back into a maze after getting out and then whiffed the next life in like 10 seconds from confusion.

Granted, I'm on poison spectral helix, so kind of a worst case scenario. I have a sabo leveled and an elementalist up there (77ish), but not sure if either would be that much better. Sabo was about to be respecced to poison (from phys crit that just didn't really work) but maybe fire traps/ignite would be smoother. Maybe EA Elementalist if I can get a decent bow without trying too hard?

Makes me appreciate the flaming boulders/stomach phases of the new bosses even more. At least I got my 81 Uul Netol and witnessed Veritania done. I'm 30/40 and not gonna make 40, just pushing what I can.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

DisgracelandUSA posted:

It's not an overly difficult fight. Did you get to phase 2? Phase 2 can be either mildly challenging or incredibly difficult depending on your build.

Oh yeah, both times. And yeah it feels, not hard? Just like the arena is making it harder for me to learn going in mostly blind than some of the other fights. Like I'm spending more time learning burning Oriath than Sirus (down to my last set of frags so this is sort of a concern).

Second time, getting him to 40% or so health, I died 3-4 times to getting slowed by the moving beams, then dodging the clone beam, then getting hit by the die beam that follows you but I didn't realize what was happening until the last one. (I also died to a mis-dodge w/ the meteors and pathing too close to a storm on my way back, both firmly just errors).

So having slow avoidance would be cool. But I mean on reflection I think the bigger problem is I didn't have flask uptime (or much leech really) so I'm just incredibly squishy. I have my stuff set up w/ Surgeons and "use when full" enchants and it generally works great but I have a hard time keeping attacks actually hitting him when he moves (no problems w/ conqs, elder, atziri, eater, exarch). But this seems like a problem Helix has w/ this fight so idk if there's anything to be done about it than swap chars or respec. Also is he clearing poison on every teleport? Like when he's moving around between attacks? Cause argh

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Vasudus posted:

There's nothing wrong with Trinity.

There's everything wrong with the crit multi scaling off elusive effect for Nightblade, while also providing a ton of ways to get increased elusive effect at the same time.

Yeah I played non-trinity nightblade this league and it feels nutty. And I'm bad (severely underutilizing Withering Step, off the top of my head)

I think Helix is okay being a little over-powered because of how the skill feels, and how many people hate it, but I'm saying that as someone who likes Hammers/etc (and enjoys Helix)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

J posted:

Take a peek at this thread. This person has been making low input builds that don't require any fancy items for quite a while now. I can't vouch one way or the other for them personally but there is positive feedback about the builds there from people with physical limitations.

+1 here, I was about to post this actually - I did a Ngamahu's Cyclone build from him in Scourge and had a lot of fun. I didn't league start it but other than finding the axe (which, ironically, I got 2 of from Ritual that league), I think I could have. No mobility issues here either, it was just a nice build

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

dyzzy posted:

Night blade helix for the second time might be my starter... Poison version was good too right?

I had fun w/ it last league but kept thinking it would be stronger if I went ele

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm in between (poison?) LS, elemental helix, claw molten strike (does this work for real? this is my favorite skill but I thought it was garbage now) and some kinda EA build. Maybe spectral throw? Minions of some kind? I had a lot of fun w/ 3.16 skelly warriors and have wanted to try elemental golems

I generally like helix and last league I was rolling nice w/ EA until they fixed the krangled text and my game started memory leaking every 5ish maps. kinda wanna play a ranger or marauder, unless I do witch. Genuinely torn!

Plan is farm heist a bunch which is the only reason i'm even considering poison LS. I think I like most of those builds for that, idk about golems though

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

victrix posted:

if you trust tyty he's got it on his list as expensive

https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExileBuilds/comments/wrcgpt/tytykiller_tier_list_links_to_all_builds/?sort=confidence

I posted a poison assassin version of it earlier that's one of two or three builds on my short list for tomorrow

that one ends up more expensive than ele after all because as good as wasps nest is on a fresh mapping character, you want the heist poison daggers sooner than you'd think

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Game feels weird

Thinking about just re-rolling Necro and letting my zombie buddies play for me until they figure it out

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Reading the responses, I don't think they know what they broke which makes me hopeful it's unintentional... or like everything I liked was actually league content lol. that would include like vaal side areas and rogue exiles and stuff too right? were maps technically league content? Was all the loot I remember coming from Nemesis/Bloodlines packs?

I don't really juice much or do too much trade unless I have to, and I like Heist and hate Harvest so that's whatever. Archnems suck. idk why you can get multiple on the same thing, it's not fun.

But the bigger problem here is I feel like, like Alch and go isn't sustaining like it used to be. The feedback loop (both in game and dopamine) just isn't happening, like they ran out of gas or something

Larry Parrish posted:

Honestly this game straight up sucked in the old Prophecy league and before days. I really hope we don't stay back in that poo poo lol.

this is what it feels like to me. just... different than any time I've checked in since Heist

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

i will contend forever that hardcore PoE in open beta when all the builds were garbage and you would instagib yourself on reflect mobs 2 screens away was beautiful and wonderful in a way that it has never been since

I kind of agree... I wish they made it a game mode instead of the whole thing though

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah the option being they have no idea what they are doing or they knew exactly what they were doing and hid it aren't great options to choose from.

it's the hole GGG dug though so I am curious how they get out of it

yeah I'm here. I think I'm leaning ignorance cause... why do it the same patch as the divine? why do it when their community person was OOO? like what did they think was gonna happen?

but yeah not particularly confidence inspiring. I'm looking forward to them sharing the rationale.

Jinnigan posted:

the extremely bizarre cases of guys getting like 40 maps from one box makes me think it was something like this tool giving out acceptable "averages" that made them think the loot rates were fine

yeah this is all I can come up with. some extremely quick math that said like old full clear maps = new full clear maps or something

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I checked poe.ninja and didn't see any Elementalist SRS builds. Is there a reason this is dumb or is it maybe an unexplored space to check out?

Also whats w/ the unascended shadows on the leaderboard this league?

e: does shaper of x only apply to you, and not your minions? Is it too good w/ golems or something?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

is there an excilence/awakened poe trade that works on mac? we have a POB port and the native client is finally more stable than the XP version I used to dual boot in to

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Vegastar posted:

I tried cause my GPU died but the mac client is actually a broken, unmaintained dumpster fire hiding behind a paper plate mask of function. Eventually you start seeing broken textures and infinite geometry that kills the game down to a 10fps mess. It’s pretty much unplayable once you get to maps.

This was my experience last league but the two before it, it was kind of okay? This league I get 50-60 fps most places, delve textures are a shitshow, and the floor covers my field of view in the bottom quadrant of the Eater arena

all on a M1 machine, the intel ones were garbage

whypick1 posted:

The answers appear to be "this guy appears to have ported Awakened to Mac", "you'll have to build Excellence for Mac yourself" and "I forgot this game even had a Mac port, who does that these days?"

hell yeah, this is the first time I've gotten a "no but here's the source if you wanna compile" and I actually have the toolchain ready to go

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Vegastar posted:

Yeah I’m also on an m1 mba. I put up with it for a while because it mostly did okay but half the red map textures are busted beyond playable for me, as in literally blocking half the screen from view. In doing some googling it seems like the macOS build has been busted since at least April and nobody has any good workarounds while GGG barely acknowledges it.

Glad it’s working out for you at least, but I can’t recommend it. At least I picked a good league to miss until I track down a cheap 1080 or something to replace it with.
0 arguments w/ any of this! But its also in the best shape it's ever been in (or 3.16 was anyway) so for those few of us where the mac client being good limits how much poe we play, it's a good time.

May-Now was Sentinel and yeah I got the stuff you're talking about. The 10fps was worse than the textures but I quit league before I really got into the eldritch maps which is where my machine (m1 mini) really struggled so maybe it got worse.

AN was, like, playable! On non-minimum settings! Scourge too (krangleverse was a little weird iirc). And textures seem hosed this league but I can chain a bunch of maps and leave my client logged in overnight without crashing so thats a huge improvement.

I list all that out not to argue (you're right, straight up) but just as a trip report for any other mac users. It's definitely a janky mess but the jank is part of the POE experience imo

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Got my Omni way sooner than I expected.

How do I gear this? Never really figured it out in AN. Is swapping resistance on gear for more stats enough or is there a trick to it? I'm at something like half of what I need to use my gems just swapping out my current amulet for it

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Timeless jewels are a brain breaker.

For my Omni uh helix? I haven't actually LS swapped yet, I went looking for a 5% dex Brutal Restraint and found several (after figuring out how to actually select numbers in POB) but no bites.

I also found a totally different one playing w/ the slider in POB (I had to edit the range to get it usable). Lotsa % damage increase and some % ailments, and it puts me barely below the 2x5% Dex ones in the build I'm sorta following. Best part is it was 2div instead of 20.

Can I trust POB to be right on this stuff? The combo w/ omni is weird

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Why don't trinity builds run elemental equilibrium? its right there if you're starting green and isn't that like a bunch of free -resist?

But I'm only seeing like 9 people running it on poe.ninja which makes me think none of us understand how it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Ah I thought I could triple dip!

I think most of the people taking it are doing timeless jewels w/ it