Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I’m getting the ARPG itch again, but I wanna try this instead of picking up Diablo again - any recommended builds/tips for someone who’s never played PoE but played the poo poo out of D3? I’ve watched a few videos/streams of this game and the main thing that pulled me in was the dudes covering their screens in fire/explosions/etc and just mowing down waves of mooks. I’m guessing there’s a lot of builds that can do that, though.

I’m diving into the Engineering Eternity guide now, but I’m always interested in what the Goon Approved hot tips are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

cytoc posted:

Engineering Eternity's guides are a good place to start when you want to learn the game. If you want to just dive in, there is a Diablo players guide to POE that is a bit shorter, but if you have the inclination to watch the videos, I'd go that route.

There are two schools of thought as to the best way to approach the game for a new player. I preferred to start with a build guide that gave me a end goal passive tree, but others prefer to dive right in and accept that their first character will probably hit some form of wall towards the end of the story and early end game and then select a new build once they know a bit more. You know how you like to play games, go with whatever works for you. If that influences your decision, I reckon that pretty much any build can get through the story if you play softcore and are prepared to through you corpse at the bosses enough (this will be about 10-20 hours into the game, depending how much you explore).

Most good builds should be mowing through waves of mooks. If you want to cover the screen in fire, there is a new skill this league called Armageddon Brand that does just that. Conveniently, Engineering Eternity has just released a video guide to his version of this build (he also has a written guide with leveling trees and gearing advice linked in the comments). Check the video of it in action and if it looks ok, then you can't really go wrong with this guide. There are a lot of good build guides in the official forums and on youtube; ideally "new player" or "league starter" builds are a good place to start -> if you're uncertain, post a link to the build in this thread and you'll be able to get confirmation that there is no pitfalls (for instance super expensive uniques) with the build.

Other things:
- Ask for an invite to the goon guilds -> invites are done by character name, not account name (though all characters will be in the guild once one is invited)
- Join the goon chat channel (/global 5555)
- Get a loot filter -> neversink's is a good place to start
- If a divine orb, exalt orb or mirror of kalandra drops don't use them -> they will partially to fully cover your gear requirements if you're playing on trade league

Assuming I ask for guild invites in the thread? If so, character name is BooBeanis. I read the OP

Thanks for the tips everyone - I think I'm gonna shoot for this Armageddon Brand build (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeS0_-wH3J8) and see how things go. For leveling, since I won't have a lot of the end-game skills yet, are there any in particular I should keep a lookout for?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Aight so far so good, this game is really scratching that Diablo itch. I think I just made it to Act 2, and I’ve found a handful of uniques and a plethora of rares along the way. Is lower level stuff potentially useful at higher levels, or am I safe to vendor this stuff if I can’t use it/upgrade from it?

I think I got a mana pot unique yesterday that did several negative things on use but then gives you some buffs to compensate (no pic cause at work) - at face value it seems that it could potentially be valuable at any level (since I don’t remember it having any scaling stats), but I don’t have a clue.

Also, are there any stats in particular I should hunt down for leveling other than basic defensive stuff? I’m leveling towards an Armageddon Brand ignite build (but running Storm Brand in the interim thanks to Slam in the alt clan). I’ve no clue if crit is actually valuable to this kind of build or if I should just be trying my damndest to get +spell damage wherever I can. Or if the skills+support gems will provide the bulk of my damage and I should focus mostly on defensive stuff with correct sockets and links. Same goes for support gems - I can tell what gems affect what skills thanks to the handy UI indication, but I don’t really know beyond that whether the support it provides is actually good or not! Any recommended resources out there for divining this knowledge?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Hauki posted:

it really is since the stash gets vendored wholesale like twice a day now

kind of a shame since people donated hundreds of dollars to max out everything available for the guild and it's all functionally pointless

that actually rules

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I’m kinda lost at this point as to what I should work towards on my dude. This is my first character ever, and I’ve been following Shaarq’s Armageddon Brand ignite build. Y’all got any suggestions? AB is a new skill I guess so I suppose the “optimal build” hasn’t been worked out yet.

I’m only up to T4 Maps so far (can’t get a drat Courtyard to drop so I can move along Zana’s quest). Is there anything else I should be emphasizing other than mapping? I’ve dabbled in Delves a bit and those are pretty fun, but I’m only to like a depth of 40 or so so the rewards aren’t great yet.

I’ve got about 100c to my name to play around with. Are there any obvious upgrades I’m missing in items/passives?
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/weedGOKU666/characters

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Hopefully fixed now!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Also, on the last page someone mentioned planning syndicate leaders - how do ya do that? I ran a safehouse yesterday with Korrel as the leader and Cameria right below him but Cam didn’t take his place. I was kinda bummed too cause it would have been the Timeworn uniques branch then.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Unless you're SSF, just buy a courtyard map.

Delve can be insanely lucrative, but you do have to go deep, and you have to venture into the darkness to get them. Every time you complete a delve, go back and explore the side paths using flares and dynamite. That's how you get fossils, which can sell for multiple chaos each.

Yea, I’ll probably just buy one this evening.

I hadn’t been really exploring much off the beaten path with my delves cause I had been farming Azurite, but I did find a fossil once that sold for like 13c so I should do that some more I suppose.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

emdash posted:

who did take his place? unless you forgot to jail Korell before you exited the safehouse, it seems like that should have worked

Tora I think? She was off somewhere at the bottom. I think I imprisoned the guy too, but I don’t remember at this point.

I’m only casually doing Syndicate stuff as they appear in my maps so I guess it’s nbd. I’m sure I hosed it up somehow

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Firebatgyro posted:

Your 2stone ring is basically just giving you ~75 res its complete trash. Your belt craft does nothing for you. You have 2 bleed flasks and no freeze flask.

I’ll check out the ring selection when I get home tonight. Obviously I’ll be hunting life and resistances - are there any offensive stats I can get on rings that would be worthwhile and not insanely expensive (like burning damage or something)?

The belt craft was incidental I think - I just found it for cheap and it had decent life and resistances. Any offensive stats I should track down on a belt like it?

I hadn’t spent much thought on my flasks yet. The guide I am following had a freeze flask in there, but I haven’t invested any effort in getting one yet cause it hasn’t killed me yet! It’s moved up the list now though.

Thanks for the tips.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Aight, so I’m having fun with my Armageddon Brand fella, but I feel like I’m just never really hitting any good money-making spots. I’m up to tier 8 maps, but those generally involve at least one death so it’s not ideal. I’m down to around depth 60 in delves as well. Is there anything better I could be doing to get more currency? I’ve got my eye on that spiffy CoC ice nova Cospri’s build, but it is several ex just to get off the ground and I barely have an ex to my name as it is.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Armageddon Brand is capable of clearing the game; post your character

Always open for more input!

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/weedGOKU666/characters

The reason I mentioned the Cospri’s CoC build was because I’m not really sure what other upgrades I can cheaply make to my current gear - I don’t really wanna sink a bunch more currency into this guy unless it’s gonna be necessary to get to the really good money-making spots.

And as for Syndicate farming, I meant to mention that in my initial post - I’d rather avoid that unless it’s just too good to pass up. I’ve had a lot more fun doing Maps/delves, and I’m sure my investigation tree is a mess that’d need quite a bit of cleaning up before I could even start farming it.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Tai posted:

Bar getting super lucky on some ultra rare drop that nets you 20 ex, here’s how to make regular cash.

Play more
Clear faster
Delve 300+
Don’t gamble

Noted.

In the interest of clearing faster, I’m trying to be more selective in what junk I pick up off the ground - is this a pretty reasonable pick list?

- Pretty much all currency (barring armor/weapon quality stuff)
- All uniques (even though it seems like everything sub-60 is vendor trash)
- All rare belts/amulets/rings
- All Maps
- All the shaper/elder bases

I leave basically every other rare on the ground as they all seemed worthless and at most could be used for the chaos recipe (although I’m starting to get stuff out of the ilvl range for that).

I’m using Neversink’s regular item filter btw

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Zmej posted:

syndicate scarab farming on harbor bridge/foothills/ossuary is stupid but it makes me stupid money. I look forward to them swatting it down.

So I’ve been trying to do this and I feel like I’ve hosed up somehow. I’m trying to follow the guide below, but I’m at a point where all I ever get is solo encounters with the occasional 2 person. So I never get the rank up option. I’ve got a billion trusted links all over the place and none of the safe houses are available for raiding. Any ideas? Or is the guide the wrong way to do it? I’ve been at it for most of last weekend and this week but have only managed a 3* Rin once and haven’t even been able to get Cameira into the drat Intervention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/abdd26/the_defacto_syndicate_farming_guide/

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

ThePineapple posted:

I also tried following this guide in Harbor Bridge. After four hours of grinding I got to run ITF as a 3-star leader of Research once, and have been trying to get him back as a member of Research now. Granted, I was making mistakes in the first few hours that prevented me from actually doing it right, and my character doesn't have a ton of movespeed beyond typical boots + flask, but I still feel that it's super boring and not as easy as advertised. I'm probably going to run it once more and stop.

What stage of farming are you stuck at? Getting your target member into the target order? Ranking them up? Swapping out the leader? It seems to me like the first stage is the most random / lengthy. One thing I heard is that the chances of each encounter type showing up is not necessarily 25%, but is based on the number of members in each order - i.e. an order with 4 members is twice as likely to show up as an order with 2 members. If your target order has few members, this may be slowing things down. I guess the only other advice would be to make sure to follow the guide to the letter.

For another take on syndicate farming, this guy did it a different way, by filling the board with rivalries instead of trusted links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaC2G6YvspA. I suppose both work, as long as you can consistently get encounters with the option to rank someone up.

Right now I can’t even get Rin/Cam in Intervention. Rin is stuck as the leader of Fort and Cam has been in the floater pool (with almost everyone else) forever. I’d feel more optimistic if I was getting more opportunities to rank up/move folks around, but it’s been pretty dry for a while now. Which is why I think I’ve messed something up somehow cause folks talk like it’s a relatively smooth process.

When I did manage to get 3* Rin once, it was before I was following that guide and I was just trying to funnel as many people over to Intervention as possible and keep the other three branches safehouse locked. I guess I just got really lucky on that one.

I might finally have enough currency to get my next build online, so I may just try and get that one going and keep my impossibly smooth brain focused on maps. Anyone got any leveling tips? My first character ever took like 24 hours of play time to get to Maps so I’m hoping #2 won’t be quite that bad

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Papercut posted:

Have you ranked up too many members? You want as many unaffiliated floaters as possible because they can show up in any encounter. The issue with having people in the divisions is that they won't show up in any encounter if their division is locked out, so after a while you'll start stagnating and seeing the same encounters over and over.

Also as someone else said, there was a more recent video posted where the strategy was to form as many red lines as possible because then you get the rank up option in 2-person encounters. I switched over to this method and anecdotally felt like it was MUCH faster.

I definitely kept everyone in the pool whenever possible. None of my branches have more than 1 leader and 1 member currently.

I’d try the rival method, but it seems like it’d take quite a bit more time to undo all the trusted links just to get it off the ground. I’m already kinda sick of running up and down that drat bridge anyway. New character time

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

emdash posted:

i followed this thing for leveling https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2150196

and knocked it out much faster than 24 hours for sure. Just be sure to do all the parts labeled "skill point"

Thanks, I’ll follow that this go-round. I’ll probably pick up a Tabula to go with my goldrim as well so I don’t have to fiddle with gearing too much.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Fallom posted:

I'd like to see if this game is for me but I had a couple basic questions that I couldn't figure out from lurking the thread -

I've seen people recommend playing with specific builds that require specific items, which are just purchased from other players. What are you playing for up to that point? Are you just going through the game until you can earn enough currency? What's your goal after you buy the items you need?

I've loved all the Diablo games but finding cool items and changing my playstyle around them was always the most fun, even if that wasn't always optimal in the first two games. Just buying the one item you need and forgetting about everything else kind of seems to take the fun out of that. I get bored of Diablo 3 seasons once I've earned my set and I'm left trying to find incremental upgrades to the exact same items.

I haven’t played this game near as much as most in this thread (Betrayal League is my first experience with the game), but here’s my input anyways:

Your first question is heavily build dependent. My recommendation would be for your first character to be one where you follow a “league starter” or “budget” guide. This will get you set up with a very capable character without needing any startup currency for special items.

At this point, you won’t really be farming for any specific items and such, but rather for valuable “stuff” (either straight currency or items you can sell for currency). You’ll also get a much better feel for the game and can figure out if you really want to keep investing in your first character or if a different build has caught your eye along the way.

That’s basically how I did it and it’s worked out well for me. I started with an Armageddon Brand ignite build and took that up to level 87 and yellow maps. By that time, I had enough currency to my name to buy the items necessary to play a Cast on Crit Cospri’s Ice Nova build. So, I bought those and leveled up a new dude and am having a blast.

In my experience with PoE, you won’t really be finding a lot of stuff you plan on using in the endgame but will rather be selling the stuff you do find to buy exactly what you need. It’s pretty different from Diablo 3 in that way

E: this isn’t to say you don’t get any excitement from the drops/loot system in this game. It’s just different. It was super exciting to get my first exalt drop

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 21, 2019

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So what are some suggestions for good melee league-starters for Legion that are also fairly simple as I’ve played Betrayal and Betrayal only and am therefore still very bad at this game

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Alright now that the League is pretty well solved, what are some of the better league starters that also work well with the Legion mechanic? The more of a visual spectacle they produce, the better.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I’m trying to decide on a league start between Storm Brand assassin and some kind of mass minion necro. Would either of these be generally better than the other assuming I like both play styles?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

How much should I attempt to sell this for?

It's all setup for crafting on +1 gems into multimod with +2 all support gems.

Already made my bow and getting another one of these from the div card and random fossil I found while delving wasn't too hard. Rolling 1 prefix that is 20% more spell damage and having 3 suffixes and annualing off a suffix does take some luck. And if your unlucky it costs currency each time to try.

Doing 1ex for "Cannot roll attack modifiers", 1ex to get "+1 level to socketed gems", 2ex for "Prefixes cannot be changed", 1 orb of scouring to remove the suffixs, 2ex for multimod, and 2ex for "+2 to level of socketed support gems". To attempt to sell it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Because I'm taking a 6ex hit before I even sell it.

Alright, crafting in this game still mystifies me. Aside from the 6L, nothing about that bow would tell me I could sell it for much and I would 100% leave it to rot on the ground unless my loot filter went hog rear end wild when it dropped (although I’m guessing something exactly like that can’t drop).

Is there a good primer out there on crafting and what makes things valuable to craft?

Also, it seems a lot of these pricy craft things are weapons - do builds that scale off weapon damage just go absolutely nuts with the perfect weapon or something? Like, more so than say a necro build now?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I have such a low tolerance for getting killed, even in SC, it pisses me off quite a bit. Hopefully Lightning Trapper avoids this by just doing such obscene damage that I can kill everything before it can kill me back.

Speaking of this, the first character I ever made was an Armageddon brand Trickster during Betrayal league and that sucker was borderline immortal right out of the box. I know they’ve nerfed Trickster a bit since then, so are there any ascendancies that can match that level of tank for little-to-no effort/investment?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So as someone still newer to the game but looking to spend a little more money, what are some of y’all’s favorite cosmetics? The mtx catalogue is massive, so I haven’t spent a ton of time thumbing through it yet. Anything in particular that’s a good bang-for-your-buck?

Also, are all spell effects specific to each individual skill, or are there any generic effects out there that apply to a wider range of skills?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Alright, I’m liking where my Necro is now so it’s time for character number two. I’ve got roughly 3ex to my name, and I’m looking for something along these lines (in order of importance):

1. Uses Herald of Ice’s shatter effect, preferably on nice big chains. Wanna use this slick new mtx.
2. Solid all-around build. I’m still fairly new and casual, so I’m not looking to run anything super-specialized. Being able to map/boss/delve relatively effectively would be great. It’d also be nice to not be completely crippled by specific map mods
3. Effortlessly tanky. My necro is... ok in this department, but I still get nuked in red maps from time to time.

Any suggestions?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Mathil's voidforge static striker blows up fat chains with heralds

That one does indeed look very nice, but from the handful of comments folks have had about it, it seems like it has anemic single-target without substantial investment. Maybe it’s not too bad, though.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Traxis posted:

CoC Ice Nova/Frostbolt Assassin. Mine is pretty tanky with 7.4k life, Acro/Phase Acro, blind from Pandemonius and a decent amount of life leech.

I did one of these in Betrayal and it was alright. I would sometimes run into survival issues without a Diamond Flask going as my gear wasn’t amazing and I could get unlucky with crits.

I found a Frostblades Assassin on the PoE forums that I may try.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Alright, so I didn’t like the feel of my frost blades dude (mostly not nearly OP enough compared to my necro) so I’m just gonna fully invest in Minions Man. Before I go too hog wild, I can’t decide between running a Baron build focusing on Zombies, or just sticking with my current specters setup (and maybe moving towards a Pledge of Hands or something). Any opinions?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Look at this stupid belt I made on accident lol

So a more general question on an item like this:

Because it has two sources of increased elemental damage, how does that exactly work? Are there two separate increased “piles”, or do the increases get added together on the same modifier (with the one for attack skills only applying to attack skills)?

In the first case, every source that reads “increased elemental damage” on your gear gets added together to form a single multiplier separate from a multiplier assembled by all the “increased elemental damage of attack skills” found on your gear. So if you only had a single source of “increased elemental damage of attack skills”, it would effectively be the same as “MORE elemental damage for attack skills”.

The second case would just have every source of elemental damage increase (conditional or not) added together into one overall increased elemental damage multiplier. Then, conditional increases (such as increased for attack skills) are excluded if the condition isn’t met.

Or, I guess there’s a third option where you have the separate multiplier “piles”, but the unconditional increase simply gets added to every relevant pile and then which type of skill you use determines which multiplier pile you get.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I’m also partial to Goatman Fire-Raisers for a solid Spectre pick. With GMP, their fireballs can get pretty silly. Plus, if you’re running HoAg, a Mark of Submission with projectile weakness slotted is tasty. None of this is probably “optimal”, though. But, you really don’t have to be as a Necro this league.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I'm having a lot of fun with my Ice Shot/Voidfletcher Deadeye, but my only complaint is I'm still quite squishy. I understand that comes with the territory with this kind of build, but are there any glaring deficiencies here? I need more life, which I hope to square away once I get an Assassin's Mark ring so I can replace my Oskarms (which will help my Chaos res a little also). Plus, I've still got a handful of easy levels I can use on the skill tree for life. Anything else?

https://pastebin.com/EUtq9RvP

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I’ve been doing quite a bit of mapping lately with Zana’s Fortune Favors the Brave mood, and it appears that the Harbinger mod is quite a bit more valuable than any of the others. What do I have to do to unlock that mod for myself?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Well poo poo I guess I finally have to learn how to do the guardians and Shaper then. I picked a hell of a time to swap to a squishy map-clearing build :v:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Hydra - Safest place is right behind her. If you have any minions maybe avoid projectile chain map mods.
Chimera - Make sure you have a Gotta Go Fast button for his cloud attack
Phoenix - Avoid AoE mods like the plague or he'll nuke you from off-screen. He'll also lower your fire resistance as the fight goes on. Fun.
Minotaur - Same AoE thing as Phoenix. Fight is much easier if you can teleport through the lighting beams that both shock and slow you if touched. Watch for falling rocks.
Shaper - Keep him on screen at all times. Don't try to facetank his balls or his beam. Slam attack is very telegraphed. If you see a degen ball coming towards you, lead it to edge of arena to set it off since you do not want them in the middle of the arena. Keep Zana alive during the portal phases or you'll have a Bad Time during the bullet hell phase.

vvv I blame phone posting

Thanks for the tips! I took a crack at the Minotaur and he never even tickled me. I may have underestimated how much dps my Ice Shot dude is capable of

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I’m thinking about retooling my Necro a bit. I started her out on Hercanic’s mass minion build (erroneously following the 3.7 version instead of his 3.8 update cleverly hidden in a link at the top of his post :v:), and it has been alright. The damage/clear is very solid, but I’m still feeling a bit squishy.

Looking at poe.ninja, it looks like ~50% of the Necros on there are Baron zombie builds. Is that because Baron Necro is the most insane Necro of them all? I’d really like to finally have a dude that’s immortal AND does outrageous dps. I’m talking sleepwalking through t16s and red blighted maps. I’ve got 10-15 ex to dump into it if that matters at all.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Vulpes posted:

In my brief experience, compared to a spectre-based build, Baron sacrifices a small amount of clear speed (not enough that you'd really notice) in exchange for much better boss dps and near-invulnerability thanks to zombie leech and a much bigger life pool. 10-15ex should be plenty to get it set up, with the possible exception of the end-game crafted mace depending on your crafting luck.

That sounds exactly like what I’m looking for cause the two things that have frustrated me the most so far are Blight bosses getting to the pump and getting 1 shot by rough map bosses.

Looks like the crafted mace goes for about 10 ex on trade. I don’t know if I’d be lucky enough to craft and link one cheaper than that, but I’ll do some research tonight.

It seems like everyone is using Animate Guardian because of Kingmaker, but how much would I be missing out on if I dropped that and just used a CwC-Cyclone-Fortify as my Fortify source? Is Culling Strike really that great?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I may shell out for it anyways. Just not too thrilled at the prospect of handing the AI 3-4 ex in gear and hoping it doesn’t welp it all. I don’t really do anything too extreme (high rolled t16s and blighted maps is the worst of it), though, so it’ll probably be fine

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

The Locator posted:

Small victories. After way too many stupid deaths, I have hit level 94, for my first time ever. Also hit 7k health for the first time ever. Still die stupidly too much.

Think I'm going to look into respeccing into the Baron Skeleton build that was discussed a bit today instead of my zombie/spectre build, but I'm not sure I have the finances to really do it. I'm currently leveling a superior vaal skeleton gem and it's up to level 18, so we'll see what my finances look like when that hits 20. I'm doing ok through level 15 maps, but I died tonight to something in a blight on a T15 map (not a blighted map, just a normal blight).

I seem to be pretty bad at this game even with the OP meta of being a summoner!

Trip report from a guy that converted to Baron Zombies last night: it’s outrageous. I didn’t have time to run many maps, but the ones I ran were pretty drat spicy (most mods other than phys reflect t15 and t16) and I never came close to dying. I don’t have to really try and dodge things at all like I do on my Deadeye.

The clear is only marginally worse compared to specters, but the damage your zombies put out is nuts. My “on-screen” clear is better than my kitted out Ice Shot/Voidfletcher Deadeye - you just can’t pop entire packs two screens away like a bow build can.

The tankiness is the real winner, though. I opted to go with a hybrid life/es setup using Shaper’s Touch to boost my shields. I’ve got close to 10k life+ES with moderate gear. With a Cyclone/CwC/Spirit Offering setup, my life pool barely got touched.

The only gear I really splurged on was the crafted 2h mace I picked up for 9 ex. It ultimately cost me ~1.5 ex extra in Vaal orbs because I forgot you need those in addition to chromatics to fix socket colors on a corrupted weapon. I’m slowly learning, one expensive lesson at a time! I reckon you can run the build with a budget Unique and still function reasonably well. The damage just might not be as absurd. Other than the mace, everything else was sub-100c aside from my Astramentis since I annointed it with Death Attunement.

Oh, also, I haven’t even set up an Animated Guardian yet. I probably won’t even bother with it now unless I manage to find a map combo that somehow humbles this build.

At this point, I’m thinking the only aspect of Necro that needs nerfing is the Baron. Other Necro builds are powerful (and maybe a little too good while leveling) on a relative budget, but this Baron build is the definition of busted.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I’ve really enjoyed this league, and I hope blighted maps get rolled into the main game. And not just like the Synthesis maps - I’d like to be able to target farming blighted maps kinda like you can target Delve.

But they’re probably just gonna get dropped into Zana mission tables like Synthesis and be almost completely absent from the game. It’s a shame how rare those Synthesis maps are - I love the look and feel of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I had my first and only item rollback this league. Luckily it only cost me a decently rolled map I was crafting on