Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Game is good but I'm really hitting a wall getting to 90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This will be the end of my first season - how does the merge to Standard work? Like, I assume my stash will drop down in remove-only tabs, but what about my hideout and master levels? My Standard characters predate those so they completely unlevelled/uncreated. Do the masters just get set to the highest level obtained? Do I need to re-barbie my place?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Pro-tip: when you're making the character just add a short code onto the end of the name on the month/league and now you can have Craig Ks forever.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 4, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You can always just craft some boots.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

McFrugal posted:

Well throw out HC SSF then and replace it with SC SSF. I mean is there any real point to that?
SSF strips out guild support and trading, and I would argue that HC additionally strips out simply brute forcing progression through time played and at the top emphasises a higher risk/reward structure for getting ahead of other racers without dropping out of the race entirely.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I haven't bought a single map or anything since starting a couple of months ago and I'm overflowing with maps. I have like 180 stockpiled chisels because I'm probably really bad at the game, but I've never had a period where I didn't have maps at my appropriate level to run. If they aren't superior or one tier below what I'm running then I just leave them on the floor, too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

Does anybody have recommendations for a fun, active, newbie friendly build? People keep recommending this game to me and I can see the promise, but the curve feels a little steep, tbh.

I'm playing on XBONE with a controller, if it matters.
I like Summon Raging Spirits. They're short-duration so you're always doing something, but they're also largely fire-and-forget so that you have time to watch the ground and learn mechanics. They also don't need any specific uncraftable gear until you're already mapping. This is the build I (largely) used starting out - I skipped EE and Ball Lightning to use more summons - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1921787

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Zombies suck hard and i would advise you not to bother with them as anything other than meat filler.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Even with Baron and Life+Res support gems you will spend a load of time resummoning zombies just in the yellow tiers. With 6 zombies, a Violent Dead jewel, and Baron I was happy enough with the damage, but once I hit tier 12-14 maps the uptime was virtually nil - every magic pack dropping at least half the zombies and every rare culling the entire lot of them. I swapped them out for a skeleton totem and it was far more effective at everything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Vulpes posted:

I guess I know what I'm rolling this league!
Me too

quote:

Earthquake's radius has been moved to the Open Sarn Arena.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

queeb posted:

yeah with no real specter nerfs im probably gonna roll with that to start
Wickerman ate a pretty big nerf.

euphronius posted:

Just roll a necro summoner with the rest of us .
I'd already made the decision to go SRS again due to the cheapness of gear, and now that Barons is more gravy than train it's even better.

Speaking of necro summoners - probably too early to tell, but how does Ancestral Bond interact with skills like Cremation and Volatile Dead where you're casting a spell to create something that then deals damage rather than dealing it yourself?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

lamentable dustman posted:

Weren't skelly mages already really good? That seems pretty broken.
Plus you can now support them with Barons.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TheRat posted:

Are they really? The movespeed is entirely negated by whirling blades (and almost entirely by shield charge). The spell block is a niche thing that's not used very often and in return you get a big damage boost and 12% block (which is a huge amount) .
There's also the opportunity costs of having a chest that does nothing but bump Str scaling.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

I get the opportunity cost argument, but there are also plenty of builds that coast on a tabula way longer than they have any right to, so I'm not sure it's really the strongest argument to make
That's because Tabula Rasa offers one of the biggest boosts of power to a character in the game, is available long before alternatives become obtainable, and has no explicit penalties. It has no opportunity cost until you have access to six-link drops and thereafter the cost is equal to drop chance or trade/craft costs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I feel like that tab would cause me to compulsively pick up trash tier maps.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm using cascade on it, but since it's not my main skill and I'm still casually getting back up to maps I haven't run numbers on it. I went with cascade simply for the sheer amount of trash dead I can convert into instant and homing aoe while clearing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jazerus posted:

srs is notably terrible at izaro

eventually you do enough damage it doesn't matter and he dies super quickly, but before then is rough
I've never really had a problem. He gives you plenty of time to prep up to 20 skulls, and they should immediately stick to him like poo poo on a pig - after that you might get wanderers with his mechanics and adds, but if you keep close to him (like you should) it shouldn't be an issue because they tend to go for whoever's closest on spawn/kill.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Locator posted:

Divination cards and essences didn't exist when I played. I have like 14+ tabs full of random gear that I kept.

I assume when you start in a league you do not have access to any of your stuff in your tabs, or is that incorrect?

Yeah, you're essentially starting over.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Prophecies in general are a weird sort of quasi-quest/challenge system where you throw your coins in a well and hope you get something that isn't a bunch of clickable corpses on a coastal map. There's a few of them that have quest chains to open up bosses, and there's some for useful currency. Most of them are vague enough on requirements in game or only have a chance of triggering on specific tilesets that you might need to wiki them if you want to complete them.

There are a few which are really useful, but a good number of them have outright no reward and you'll just bumble into fulfilling them eventually.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Zana, please sign me up for as many +300% experience gain map dailies as you have ty. 72-74 on a single map is a great ride.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sounds like he already has too many regrets.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think you mean Arakaali? In which case I think it's primarily used just for the 5% less DoT damage on the base soul rather than the upgrade that increases recovery after stopping taking DoT damage.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

nightwisher posted:

The lore reason is that all uniques are copies of the originals, made by using Kalandra's Mirror, before it was broken into shards which you find as Mirrors of Kalandra, which only retain a mere fraction of it's original power. Her original Mirror was capable of perfectly copying anything with no limitations. Some rear end in a top hat uses it to outfit an entire army, the copies of uniques we find ingame are the remnants of this.

dumbass
If there's no limitations why can't they be mirrored again

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Who is hiding full suits of platemail in evil pillbugs

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Speaking of worthless jewels, I have a 3% Cast Speed/15% Minion Damage cobalt that I really want to promote to a rare.

Other than simply slapping a regal on it and praying, is there any way I can improve my odds for getting +life/str?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I didn't even get corpses, just a frozen wind.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I found a Lycosidae and want to use it to fund my build. They're all going for 3.5-4 exalteds, but how much is half an exalted?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There's also the two white gems, Portal and Detonate Mines, that are drop-only. The former is a novelty if you have spare sockets, the latter is a very niche gem that can be bought cheaply on the open market.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Shaper shows up in the middle of a twinned boss fight.

"Tread no further, villain."

An unexpected disconnection has occurred.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

if you get 40/40 nessa will join your hideout and kiss you
Fishwife or fish wife Nessa?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I finally gave in and picked up a Baron's for my SRS build - I was doing well without it, but it's a good bump in power that I won't surpass until I have access to +3 gem bone helmets (which are like 30 times as expensive). I also picked up a Dervish last night from the ground, and holy poo poo I had forgotten how good rampage is - especially with abysses and null portals it's :2bong:

Today I picked up a Sidhebreath - though I failed to vaal it correctly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Since we're doing newbie questions - what is the the thing where a little spark appears on your head and just chunks you down over time? I've never noticed it before but it is absolutely devastating me this season. Weirdly I'm also getting nearly insta-gibbed by caustic clouds but only in the Underground River map - I have very low chaos resistance at the moment, but I'm fine in every other map while that one just drops me in less than a second.

The Locator posted:

Map question - what do the little quarter wheel things (Sacrifice at dawn/noon/dusk) do? I stick them in the device with a map and see no change or indication of what will happen if I activate it.
To add to the above you can also put them in device by themselves and they'll give you a vaal side area if you're wanting to roll the dice on a vaal gem.

The Locator posted:

Yea, I need to find a good life staunching, right now it's a mana flask, which I really need to switch out of anyway as I no longer have mana issues except in rare occasions when I can't leech.
Don't bother finding. Flasks are very easy to make because they can't go above magic and have a comparatively small list of possible modifiers. If you happen to get one of a good quality, great, but otherwise just pick up a Divine/Eternal flask (actually you will need to find that part), transmute it to a magic item, and start spinning the wheel with orbs of augmentation/alteration. It took me probably around 20-30 orbs to make the Saturated/Staunching I needed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

No, it's like a little flashing fuse. No debuff indicator or anything, just my health chunking its way down every half second or so.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The other way is to check Zana every time you do her daily because the maps she sells aren't restricted in the same way as drops.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Since we're doing newbie questions - what is the the thing where a little spark appears on your head and just chunks you down over time? I've never noticed it before but it is absolutely devastating me this season.
I did some experimenting and this is actually the visual effect that indicates you're a loving idiot dumping cremations across packs of enemies on an elemental reflect map. :ughh:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

:shepface:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Chaos Orb owns, but it really needs to have the halves float around a bit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TheRat posted:

I think they should cave and make vacuum-looting. Bots autoloot anyway so real players are the only ones suffering.
I miss my Marvel Heroes currency proximity auto-slurp so much.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Honestly, I hope no one here ever gets RSI cause it's loving terrifying. I've been playing games for hours a day since I was 3, I've been a professional game tester for years where I've actually done some 48-hour shifts, and finally it was Destiny 2 of all lovely things that triggered this a few months ago. I'm just getting old I guess and have to start respecting those health breaks I ignored Nintendo telling me about for the past 30 years.
I got RSI from work over a decade ago, and managing it is all about the ergonomics. A lot of forearm support, and proper seating height goes much much farther than taking a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Personally as a noob I'm more concerned about my lack of ability to ctrl-dump items automagically into the correct stash tabs that I've paid for rather than the inconvenience of telling people I'm too busy to collect their alchs right now.