Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Well finished the campaign after rolling my face into the demon god guy enough times, time to join you all on the grind towards better gear and seeing how bad my build is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Frostblink also lets you continue to channel through the teleport - it's what I do atm, frostblink+lightnining tendrils. You're still static for like 1.5 seconds though, so it's easy to misjudge a teleport and die.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Speaking of the end game- is there a guide to running maps anywhere? I've got to doing so in my first character, and unlocked my first watchstone but unsure what the best way to progress is, especially since I'm starting to roll more duplicate maps than new ones.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

thehandtruck posted:

This league I'm doing a kind of self-imposed hardcore. When I rip I'm going to impose some penalty on my character that's harsh but not as harsh as deleting it. Do you guys have any ideas on this? I was thinking rolling a dice and deleting a piece of gear? Any ideas are welcome on this stupid thing I'm doing.

Destroy/give away half of your highest currency/most valuable item in stash? That way deaths don't make your build worse, but they do hamper your progress to better gear in a significant way.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

loving nerf on nerf to make builds unfun is not good and causes people think nerf is the only way to fix the game and cry out for nerfs they think are too powerful.

All this does is pull everyone down into the mire and make for worse gameplay on average.

Defense of The Ancients has 112 heros with a wide range of item interactions. I will concede that is a lot less than PoE but the main point I am going for is the following; skill balances in DOTA is done through mainly positive changes to skills. Meaning that if one hero is, on average, winning against another normal hero expected in the matchup buff the heroes that face that one powerful hero to handle them better.

In the post today they made it so impales cannot immediately ripped out with call of steel. Now you have to wait 4 seconds after time of impale. That's why people played it and now they are making it have a sour taste. Why not buff the skills doing the impales? Buff those impaling attacks so you want to leave the impales in corpses around you even if the current target has none. Make it special so that the main skill does more damage the more impales it sees around the current target.

For external class hate busses, take notes of who is doing the complaining. Why are they complaining and why does their class need to make them happy with their builds? Is it bossing? Is it clear? Is it expense? Help them through those changes instead of just gouging out everybody's eyes for a fair and balanced blindness.

tldr: nerfing and players complaining about other builds and actually getting what they want is just a swirling turd-pool for everyone including and especially for the complaining players.

balancing single player game and multiplayer games is different, would would have guessed? It's significantly harder to make something other humans can't counter, vs something AI-driven mobs and bosses cant.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Is firestorm viable at all after the change? I kind of want to use it for my league starter just to see how it feels now, but I also want to avoid it if it feels like rear end

They are doing some sort of buff to it this patch so watch this space.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 12, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

External Organs posted:

Am I the only person that binds my movement skill to right click and uses q for whatever my main attack is? I feel like I never see this setup and I wonder if I'm missing something.

Clear skill on shift, single target on right click.
Holding down shift is easier than constant pressure on right mouse button.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

I wonder if the volley threshold gem + deadeye no spread barrage ascendancy node work together, probably not. Is that node as good as everyone hoped?

My bleedbow gladiator is doing a lot better with an elder bow and threshold jewels, but the biggest change has been pumping chaos res up to 22%.

It does turn your barrage into a laser, but a very thin laser - so if you're trying to shoot a boss on the other side of the map it can be easy to miss and shoot a mob/into thin air. I'm trying an inpale barrage/rain of arrows build and... it's working, but it's not powerful.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

When it comes to temples, is their a trick to getting stones of passage to link rooms or is it just kill as much as possible and hope one drops? I've had good rooms I just couldn't link to the layout in the past, or been unable to reach the apex.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I know the joke in building a PoE character is "Take more life/energy shield than you need", and that is what I am trying to aim for (though it is really annoying typing in "life" in the search and not being able to filter out the minion life nodes). Still, should I take + Specific Elemental Damage nodes? On the one hand I want to keep myself free enough to pivot on a build if I want to. On the other, Freezing Pulse and Frost Bomb are getting quite a bit done for me.

EDIT: It should be mentioned I am still in Act I and am very early on :v:

For early damage, go for Frost Walker and Elemental Overload. Those nodes should give you enough damage for most of acts, along with a wand/staff with "add X to X cold damage to spells". If you want to play around with numbers more the problem for it is Path of Building Community Fork - you can import your characters into it and see what your actual damage gain is from nodes and plan out better, if that's interesting to you.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I found that prime regrading lenses were common from alt gem blueprints and they sell for about half an ex last I checked, made some good money from them.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't want to use a guide because I'm not gonna learn much from that. Yeah I may gently caress up and make mistakes but that's ok. I'm not planning to do everything possible in my first league anyway. If I want something better optimized then maybe next go round I'll do that. What poe (at least what I came to understand) things that people liked vs D3 was choice and build diversity so I'm going for that for a change at least.

From my days in diablo 2 I grew to hate trading. Not actually playing the game is not fun for me so I am not interested in that portion of it and the economy of trading. Again I know I'm making it harder on myself but these were conscious choices knowing the consequences.

I agree on not using a guide as a newbie. My first character was just an elementalist who I got to level 79 before the squishness of no defences and medicore damage from lightning tendrils caughr up with me. Now I'm onto a Ice Spear/Ethereal knives deadeye and that's got to level 85, and I've learnt a hell of alot more stitching my own character together than following others plans.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I would say do both.

Dogmatically following most guides won't inform you as to why the character tree is making the decisions it does or which parts of your gear are the most important. Similarly, refusing to look at guides won't give you perspective on how to improve, you'll just be shooting in the dark and guessing, which may work out but then later on you could find out that having a single piece of gear you didn't even know existed could triple your dps with no other changes.

Roll your own, then when it fails, look at guides to see how it can be min-maxed, play that, then have another go at customising it.

Yea, I looked at guides, and saw stuff like "oh, CwDT and steelskin/immortal cry is a good combo" or "everyone spreads out over three areas just to get all the life nodes, do it"But just following someone elses recipe is dull and tinkering is fun, even if I have to abandon characters at 72 because they don't work.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If you want a ranger, then toxic rain pathfinder works quite well.

I'm running into similar survivability issues with rangers, though. I'm level 87 for my Ice Spear deadeye and the damage is fine, but I'm only on 4k life 48% evasion/43% dodge and a mistwall, so I'm going splat easily in t12/t13 maps if I'm off the ball for a moment.

Pastebin here - resists aren't max because I'm upgrading gear at the moment, but that's not the issue.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 10, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

That's standard league prices - poe.ninja doesn't show league prices after it ends. It was 66c in Ritual, so still around the 50 mark.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Burning arrow ignite is also powerful.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Being a european during league start finally wins out - could go to bed when this wasn't fixed at midnight, and servers have been up since 10 and only kicked me out once in the 14 hours since then.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I saw a tabula in act 6 ultimatum, but failed the trial. Didn't see much useful before act 5 though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bonus points for the continuously resetting XP bar during maps.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You can set an item to a 4/5 link or fix 2 colours on thr gear risk free for a certain fixed amount of fusings/chromes. Makes it less unreliable upgrading gear.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I feel lile there should be a "reroll the tier of a mod of this item" craft somewhere - probably a beastcraft or crafting bench thing for 1ex. That was the most useful bit of Harvest and also doesn't hit power levels too hard - getting an item with all the useable mods you want is as hard as ever. But you now have a path to grind improvement for that's clear.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Beyond removing freezes/bleeds, what else is vital defences you get from flasks?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

armor for molten shell, evasion for any evasion character, phys reduction, the whole Pathfinder ascendancy

Those aren't vital, in the sense of "can be replaced with a reasonable investment elsewhere" though (except Pathfinder). It's optimal to stick poo poo on your flasks and piano them, but removing that aspect of optmization to lower the power level and require builds to invest more in defenses isn't bad, imo.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

Q&A with ziggy: GMP gives the final orb burst additional projectiles, which can all shotgun. but you dont get more orbs

You know how deadeye can chain additional projectiles against walls?

Normally you can't shotgun with them because chain doesn't shotgun, but I'm thinking of some shenanigans...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, if they wanted to make the campaign harder, start at the end and work backwards. Act 6-10 need diffculty spikes much more than Act 1 does.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nerfs seem mostly reasonable and healthy stuff, with the exception of "ailment avoid was too easy to get on gear!". Interested to see how this league shakes out.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

alas 18% less movespeed, on an ascendancy that will still give you 46% perma MS. So slow.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ah yes looking forwardto dying of bleeding because my life flask isn't chunky enough to outheal it and having nothing I can do about it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

genuine question:

How would you scale Forbidden Rites damage as occultist?
+added chaos to spells, spell damage, crit/multi, but is there anything you can do besides the "usual stuff"?
Like, some amazing synergies that catapults the skill into the 100 shapers/second area?

Theres not really any guide out there yet obviously, but simply judging by how it works, what would the veteran build-makers recommend?

Well obviously you can scale the base added with Life/ES, so first thing is a hybrid. since you can add ~1000 from life/ES, added damage from other sources is meh. crit - you only get global and spell crit, so running staff crit seems useful, The new increased crit gem should be good. You want at least a large cluster jewel for getting more small chaos for chaos res.

for scaling life/ES at the same time, The Ivory tower is an interesting armour set allowing you to convert reserved life to ES and pay for chaos damage from mana, but then you are trying to scaling life/es/mana at once, so it's hard to fit on tree especially with crit.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

urgh I hate game devs trying to explain themselvesto the community'sI wish they just ignored us and never justified the decision instead.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Change is a process - while I agree the lategame grind needs to be shortened to some extend, there's already a bunch of changes here and seeing how they land is important before further changes.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah, this is exactly my style. A couple of posters in this thread were really awesome about dumbing down some core building concepts for me just before league end (the dude with the judge avatar looking all around comes to mind) that were just enough spreadsheety for me to get an idea of "oh that's how that works" and "just take this for what it is" stuff that kit that niche that I find a lot of videos can't seem to hit.

Text wins again?

The Algorithms don't like text because it's harder to shove ads at you, therefore text is dead, no matter how much better it is sadly.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I feel like there's no way Forbidden Rite is going to feel good without going CI.

Here's a PoB of a self-cast witch I've been working on, with 2.2 mil Sirius DPS. I'm still working on it (you've gotta pay 750 mana a cast in chaos damage because you're using ivory tower, but only have 450 base regen before flasks) but it's certainly viable. I had a hierphant version with better mana regen and tankiness, but worse DPS aswell.

https://pastebin.com/q5URZz8h

This is only 82% chaos resist, which is a little high honestly. You can either go to staff crit and switch to Grey spire (+4%), or switch the shield to a +max chaos resist shield (Saffell's Frame is a unique with +4%) and use arrogance for the reservation instead. If you're not doing Ivory Tower shenagegains and just tanking the damage to your life pool, divine flesh gets you to 90% easily, but timeless jewels are a pain.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 23, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I found a storm rain build that looks like fun to start with. Who knows!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3147861/page/1

That tree looks bad -he misses obvious life nodes, has a cluster jewel when he's got unallocated nodes with more DPS adjacent to the tree, etc, doesn't have enough dodge/evasion for defenses especially spell dodge. But as a general build theory, it's something to start with, although I'd not hesitate to throw stuff out or change stuff majorly.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Papercut posted:

The Brutus change is super troll-y and just emphasizes how lovely the walk through that hallway is. Unless you can just walk into his normal room so if you die you're right there?

League mechanic is decent so far.

The first few zones of act 1 are extremely dangerous now, getting stun locked and frozen with no recourse is not fun.

"don't just stand their and get hit" is a pretty good recourse. While PoE will always be a zoomy game st the end, then can work up to it a bit better.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

docbeard posted:

Been playing with Voltaxic Burst a little as I level (Shadow, using Cobra Lash and Holy Flame totems to level with because synergy doesn't matter one bit right now and they're fun skills) and it's...it's interesting, it looks cool, I have no earthly idea when I'd use it for real. Totems maybe, or Battlemage's Cry (though I feel like there have got to be better choices there). Right now I charge it up a bit in case anything gets too close but I'm not sure that just blasting away with my other skills isn't just as effective.

I feel like it would be a good candidate for CwC or CoC-cyclone, it's got decent damage but is clunky.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I have like ~6 rerolls for the gambling lady, and 2-3 for the other 3, and I'm only in Act 7. How much are you guys doing the league mechanic? Paying attention to order of totem buffs to chest openings?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

league nechanuc good - olanting stuff in order to maximise gains is fun and I'vehad plenty of reroll currency. Roz crafting is cool and can create both gems and junk.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mentat Radnor posted:

Who the heck would take the Onslaught nodes on a pure elemental damage flicker strike build? I'm frenzy+phasing passives.

Onslaught does almost as much damage as the frenzy path from the 50% increased attack speed vs the 24% more damage/24% increase attack speed you get from frenzy, and doesn't require you to spend passives on frenzy charges. It also gives More evade chance which really improves tankiness (70% evade to 95% evade is a huge buff for example).

Xtanstic posted:

Man this is my second league ever, and I was so excited to put my hard earned newbie lessons to good use and get off the ground running but I'm taping out. I really had fun last league with Enki's Arc Witch and put in like 150+ hours. I spent Friday going thru Acts 1-7 with my brother and a friend, and was kinda feeling burnt out by the end of the night. I slow rolled solo Saturday and Sunday and the build felt better (helped that I didn't have to fight significantly tankier mobs), but now that I finally hit maps, I kinda lost all motivation to gear up and play.

It's partially my fault I guess. Shouldn't have made my first purchase a chest piece I couldn't even equip lol but also Ziz's ED+Contagion felt sooo sluggish to play. I know I'm super early and all that but urgh. I psyched myself out reading the doomposting too but yeah I dunno I'm kinda bummed I'm not enjoying things. I'm gonna take a break and maybe come back in a month and bang out 12 challenges with cheap gear maybe. :smith:

try playing around with Bane, Soulrend or Forbidden Rite - you should be able to switch over to them fairly easily and imo are less clunky skills. How a skill feels to play is my number 1 priority when picking a build for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sabo was like 30% at LS, so looks like plenty don't like the trapper playstyle.