Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAoFHgzbPiI

I might expand this to a full filter but it really doesn't need more than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfodIMNDehY

I like how this is coming along but man do I need a better quality soundclip for that last one. Those are the six basic sounds Neversink's filter uses along with one of the four other special triggers I added so far.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

nightwisher posted:

That last one comes from a PC pinball game called Balls of Steel (obviously :v: ), if you can fish up a copy of it you'd have the source file to work with.

I think I found a copy. 7zip get the .exe open but I reach the limits of my knowledge right about there. I tried opening/extracting the .cab files with 7zip as well but it just says it's not an archive. Trying some stuff on the correct files this time. Double edit: Couldn't extract the .bnk file.

Triple edit: Got into the file, found the audio clip. The quality doesn't seem that much better, but I'll give it a shot.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 2, 2018

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

soscannonballs posted:

Now I want a Gordon Ramsay loot filter similar to the old Heroes of Newerth Ramsay announcer addon.

Based on my very brief experience of trying out these Duke Nukem sounds, it's stupidly easy to make one if you let Filterblade do all the work. All you need to do is get the sound clips of your choice, make sure the file names are correct, and put them in the right place. So far PoE has run .mp3, .wav, and .flac without issues (for some reason the Duke Nukem soundpack I downloaded was in FLAC and I didn't want to mess around with converting them if they just worked when I dropped them in).

I'm typing up a readme on what I did with mine so I can post that in a few.

Edit: Here's the readme plus the files. https://pastebin.com/AXjNMhJq

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 2, 2018

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Bugsy posted:

I bet this gets patched quickly, but :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIJg6oaqlk

I happen to have two of those swords in my stash. If I didn't have work in the morning I'd start making that build for fun.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Oodles posted:

Thanks for your help. Managed to up my dps by 50% and my life by 1K. That’s just by changing my bow, quiver and ring.

I’ll sort my flasks out next. Then I’ll do lab. Cheers.

I suggest bringing a white flask up to 20% (only need four Glassblower's Baubles that way) followed by rolling mods on it. If you're not sure how to do that, feel free to ask. Also if you're having mana problems, there are mana leech nodes down below Vaal Pact. One or two of those should help a lot.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Tenkaris posted:

IDK what it is about Journeyman's Sextants, I can put a small number in a tab and set a price on them and I get people asking for wayyyy more than I have in the tab?

I do other sextants and currency orbs without it really happening but I put ONE journeyman's in a public tab and it's suddenly

I thought doing it via public tabs was the best way to avoid this because people can see your available inventory??

It's a poe.trade issue as far as I can tell. Not all sellers display stock number for some reason, and if the ratio of chaos to sextants is anything other than a certain x.y it tends to display a large number.

If you click to buy the ones with the larger number, it sets that as the minimum you can ask for. Without manually editing the message, this is the lowest and default number I can select.

However, if stock is listed and the number (minimum or selected) is too high, it throws up a warning.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Tenkaris posted:

Is Granite/Basalt the go-to defensive flask?

I ran with the Sunder Champion build that Rodent linked in a POB around league start, and right now I'm looking like this:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Mystadon/characters?characterName=AnotherSunderBro

Was running Health Flasks in 1 and 2 for a while but decided to drop one for a defensive last night, and went with a Jade flask since the build does have some evasion to it. I considered buying a Rumi's but I wanted something I could roll a useful immunity on, and decided against it.

I'm actually a big fan of running a Stibnite flask even on characters that have no or minimal evasion. The blind cloud gives a flat 50% chance to miss. I noticed you are running a jewel that has chance to blind so it might not be as useful as a Jade Flask but it's probably worth considering.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Awesome! posted:

i think mines do a little more damage but are clunkier to play with

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Volatile_Mines makes them feel a lot better. I've only run a single build this league and it's a Glacial Cascade miner. It's really good.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Jusupov posted:

Just play gc miner so you don't have to learn mechanics

The only thing you learn is that invulnerability phases act as speedbumps.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

queeb posted:

The nice thing about GC mines is you can just swap in arc and obliterate maps. Trees are basically the same.

My GC mines cover the whole screen so I haven't even bothered swapping to Arc for mapping. I did Arc through the story but never really felt the need to keep it once I did Merc Lab.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I don't think I can top "OffToWorkIGo" for my miner.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Going to download penistown.template day 1.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I try to play something I've never played before. If I don't like it I swap to a cheap standby until I can figure out what else I want to try.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I have a single tab that I use for selling stuff. I tend to toss in random "junk" for 1c now and then. Mostly because I want to offer cheap upgrades for people who suck as much as I do at gearing. I don't remember exactly what the stats were on the belt I had in there (I think it might have been triple resists and ~55 life) but it took a bit before someone bought it. The person who bought it messaged me right after the trade was complete and linked his old belt.

This is by far my favorite trading interaction since I started playing.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

As a complete noob, I am getting the impression that it might be better to let the dust settle a bit and let better players figure stuff out so I can have some kind of guide to follow next league before starting.

Nah. Most of the cheap/easy starter builds remain effective in new leagues (unless there are major changes like when they removed shotgunning). Just pick one that looks fun or ask us for a suggestion. By the time fresh guides come out, you should have a bit of currency and a feel for the new league gimmick/mechanics. You can then start a new build.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I did a lot of chaos recipes during this league because so many rare rings and amulets dropped from delving. Also I'm bad at selling stuff.

In addition I tend to build little outfit sets while doing the recipe.

edit: Here's a picture from before I bought a quad tab.

That other Chaos ID tab was a dump for belts, rings, and amulets. Nowadays I just toss it all in the quad tab and build the outfits down the right side. Yes, I'm aware that it's incredibly inefficient.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 27, 2018

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Scottishprog posted:

What would a good overall strategy be for a semi-noob?

(Yes, I will be trading, did ok the last time I tried....)

- Push to maps?
- Or something else?

So far I have used cheapish beginner builds, because I never really make enough for a high-cost second character.

Just trying to push the limits of what I can do a bit....

I'd suggest picking something that runs lab well and doing that + Atziri (uber lab can drop a lot of fragments). I'm not sure how it will pan out this league, but my GC miner could do both without breaking a sweat and clear maps rapidly. I wasn't seriously trying to make currency off either lab or Atziri but I made a decent amount selling uber lab enchants. Cheapish beginner builds are mostly good for getting a foothold for a second character so don't invest too much into them if you want to try something else.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Scottishprog posted:

Something like: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1957409

Or is there another build guide you would recommend?

That's the one I was following. I will say that I used a different skill tree and gems/jewels since that person updated the guide after I started it, and that a friend gave me a pair of really good statsticks. It was still quite good before I was able to equip them though. I think I got to act 6 with Tabula, Lifesprig, Abberath's Horn, and some blue/white gear. I was still one-shotting most normal mobs with Arc mines, but I felt like I was taking a bit too much damage. I never managed to six-link my Loreweave so I stuck with Tabula all the way to level 91.

You don't have to start with this build, but it was a blast to play and it doesn't look like it will be changed much in this league. Either way, it should make a perfectly good starting build that is capable of doing all content if you decide to invest in it.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Zephro posted:

Is tanky Reave (probably played out of Duellist, though I'm not fussy) viable as a cheap league starter for someone who has zero (none (0) ) chance of hitting maps in day 1, or probably even week 1?

Secondly, is it a fun build?

I played a poison/bleed Reave Duelist as a league starter back in 2.4 that was probably one of the most fun builds I've ever used. It was super cheap, cleared very quickly, and was decently tanky against bosses. I got it to level 90 in no time. However, it used a (unique) statstick and the build wasn't even updated for 3.0 so I won't link it. I don't know what sort of non-statstick Reave builds there will be, but it should work fine.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

God dammit I'm trying to justify using melee here and you're not helping! :argh:

gently caress it I'm playing minions again. :argh:

Hey, find out if Blood Chieftains spectres are affected by GMP for me please.

edit: If they do, I wonder if the Blood Apes they throw are affected by Minion Instability. That would mean someone could run a build that deals damage by hurling exploding monkeys.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 6, 2018

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Finished editing the colors for my filter and added all the Duke Nukem sounds back in. Still an hour to go on the patch download.

I guess I'll try to find a Consecrated Path build somewhere.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Traxis posted:

Link please

You'll need to do 90% of the work, but here's what I have.

Files and readme: https://pastebin.com/AXjNMhJq

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfodIMNDehY

Filterblade makes adding custom sounds really easy.

edit: Before anyone mentions it, I extracted the balls of steel line from the original gamefiles. That's the highest quality I could get.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Vulpes posted:

Most people aren't so addicted that they need to be in the queue an hour before launch.

I tend to wait a bit anyway until they fix the horrible bugs they inevitably introduced by mistake. At the very least I try to beat the first boss (character name).

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Man, I'm not sure which Consecrated Path build to pick. Any suggestions? I'm looking at Crit Oni Chieftain at the moment.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Mackers posted:

He stood up and was in his boxers like a proper goon too

https://clips.twitch.tv/FaintSuccessfulKangarooBloodTrail

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Oh boy, still 33k ahead of me.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
The caravan started in the pit and proceeded trundle right through the locked gates as I stood there beating my fists against the door.

(I managed to catch up and stop it inches before it exited.)

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I was in lab when it went down. :negative:

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Lunsku posted:

Transporting at 93%, only one henchman currently at that department, and he has the item that consumes corpses for health. Absolutely stumped how to punch through that continuous health gain with the current skill setup. Simply unable to do enough damage (act 6, mind you).

Try and slot in a Frost Bomb somewhere.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

The Locator posted:

Question about playing mines. In all the videos, which is always end-game of course, the mines are just constantly getting spammed and appear to be going off instantly, but at my level (44, belly of the beast in Act 4) it still feels clunky as all hell, clicking one button to drop a mine, then clicking another button until they go off.

What should I be focusing on to try to get that smooth playstyle that I see in the videos, or is it just a matter of completing the labs to fill out the ascendencies, or am I completely missing something on how I should be playing this?

The damage is solid, it's just the playstyle is so clunky. I do have "Always stop moving to cast" or whatever it's called checked.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Volatile_Mines

Probably one of the most important steps towards smoothing out mines.

Papercut posted:

E: you can also link detonate mines to either totem support or to cwdt to automate the detonation part a bit

I'm personally a fan of CWDT. Mainly because I forgot a heat flask, opened a strongbox, and managed to survive because I had that setup. I didn't actually realize I had it linked with CWDT at the time but I kept it there ever since.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I was actually looking at this since I'm not really supposed to care about evasion, armor or ES and 30% Dodge seems really good. I've got like 30 orbs of regret, so maybe I'll try. This is NY first character in my first league, whats the worst that could happen?

Also, how are you guys figuring out that 77% of bv elementalists are taking acrobatics?

cytoc posted:

Looking at poe.ninja

If you go to https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds it shows all that.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Zephro posted:

I have a dumb question about lab enchants. You can enchants boots in Cruel, Merc and Uber lab. But do you roll on different enchant tables in different difficulties? ie if I want a specific boot enchant should I just farm Cruel because it's the easiest one, or might I need to do Uber to get the specific enchant I want? (Which is %crit chance if you haven't crit recently, probably)

Make sure to grab the Darkshrines when you do Uber runs. There's a chance of getting double enchant from them. They're easy to find once you figure out where to go and only provide positive bonuses.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Kaedric posted:

I don't know how people delve, the screen is literally like, pitch black for me and I can't see poo poo. All I can do is follow the cart.

Increase light radius, increase the number of flares you can carry, increase the light radius of those flares, and explore along previous cart paths so you have a safety zone. At least that's what I did back in the Delve league.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Forgot to check mods on the Alternate of the Same Tier and instantly one-shotted myself to reflect. Now I have to try and figure out how to complete with a single Warchief totem that also kills itself to reflect.

edit: the new support gem works

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
The only thing stopping me from playing Vortex is not owning the MTX.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Did they fix Delve? Do you get azurite worth a poo poo now?

I got 28 from a single ruined node I found along a path at level 60 something.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I picked up that MTX and as soon as I get my current character to 90, I'm starting something that uses Vortex.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

nerox posted:

I got a poets pen from the einhar unique wand recipe this morning. :unsmith:

I am less than 100c from buying a 6L loreweave now.

I remembered I unlocked that recipe last night and now have a shiny new Moonsorrow. My lawyers will contact you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Vortex/Cold Snap CI Occultist is one of the smoothest, cheapest characters I've ever played. My gear is dogshit, I'm still not wearing real body armor at level 88, and I haven't even bothered to put gems in a bunch of my slots. Like I've put zero effort into this character and I'm crushing red maps and uber lab

I started this because I like the words "cheap" and "zero effort." Which bandit did you pick?