Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Can someone look at my skill tree and tell me if there's something obvious I messed up that I should change? The idea is pretty straightforward, but I dunno if some of the nodes I went into are traps or ineffective. It ends up with 204% increased life, which is fine, right?

http://poeurl.com/bqNk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ultima66 posted:

Life is fine, you're spending way too many points on the bad life leeching nodes and not enough on damage nodes.

That's the thing, I'm new so I don't know which life leeching nodes are bad or good. And I didn't want to commit to being one-handed or two-handed which is why I avoided any nodes to do with those. Can you tell me which life leech nodes to spec out of in order to spec into more damage?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

euphronius posted:

If you are new follow a build in the poe forums

One that says "starter" or " low budget"

That's lame though. I hate following guides in games. I'm the kind of person who will go out of his way to play any game at least blind-ish.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

deep dish peat moss posted:

I love PoE but there's no defending it on this point: That's nearly impossible here. I mean it's possible but you're going to run in to the problems you're experiencing now.

The one-handed and two-handed nodes are good because, while they do restrict you to one specific kind of thing, they're much stronger than generalized nodes that don't do that. The same is true of nodes for specific weapon types like daggers or axes. The primary metagame of PoE is balancing your nodes because you don't get many points and you need to make sure you waste as few as possible (avoid stat nodes) and maximize the benefit of the ones you get (fitting in as many specialized nodes as you can).

A lot of people who play this game underestimate just how confusing it is to new players. I'm one of them, I've been trying to help explain the game to a Diablo playing friend who just started and I take so many pieces of knowledge for granted that I forget to mention them, and that's with me already mentioning so many things that he's getting overloaded and frustrated.

I'm a similar kind of player and hate following guides, but it took a few times following guides before everything started to click and I realized why choices were being made and what my priority was when figuring out where my points need to go. You don't have to follow guides but if you're interested in figuring things out on your own I'd suggest at least reading a few of the more well-explained guides for various builds to figure out the thought process of creating a build.

PoE's biggest fault is that you need a specific plan in mind, whether it's your own or someone else's, and that plan unfortunately does need to generally include the specific weapon type you'll be using and the specific skills you'll be using. Experimental characters won't make it very far. I have 600 hours played but I still don't know enough about this game to really critique someone's build unless it's a specific build I've played before and I know what end-game weapon and uniques they're going to be using.

I'm just gonna do it anyways I guess. I'd rather crash and burn on my own than fly with instructions, if that makes sense? I at least took the advice of focusing down to level 80 to heart and was able to optimize my pathing a little bit more. It hadn't occurred to me that Berserker didn't need life leech nodes either, I figured having more would be better but thinking about it with Berserker if you're not dying you're leeching insanely fast anyways.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The game made fun of me because I messed up on my Cruel lab run on some saws. It was a great run with great darkshrines, and then my subsequent run gave me two useless perma-buffs and... Two of the trap resistance shrines. Which stack. So I was completely immune to trap damage. Felt like the game put me in baby mode...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So I finally reached the postgame for the first time ever. Am I supposed to immediately kick out one of my masters to fit in Zana? Unfortunately my highest level Master is still only at 6 so I can only fit 4 people in.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with how often this game disconnects me on area transition though. Maybe I should take a break until they fix their servers.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Disconnects on area transition are most likely a problem on your end.

I've seen faaaar too many people complaining about them for it to just be on my end. But maybe I'll try a different gateway, even if it's gonna raise my ping by a LOT.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't think I've had more than a couple ever happen to me, and no one in the guild I'm in seemingly complains about it either. Maybe we all are just extremely lucky, which seems far less likely than people with computer problems.

I switched to a US server and it seems to have settled down CONSIDERABLY. There may be some issues with the BR Gateway right now, possibly?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Boy, Masters sure start popping up in funny places once you get into maps. That's fine on itself, it's just extra funny when they bring architecture with them into entirely unfitting locales. Case in point:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Whoever came up with Tiny's Trial is a sadist. So nerve-wracking.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I love it when I get one of the really tiny fortification syndicate activities that is just like a tiny triangle surrounding the boss and their healing totem. It just looks hilarious goofy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You could always just hope to get one of the other guys to shunt him off it, or the destroy items effect, or the one that just straight up gets him to leave. That's really the only reason the Destroy Items effect is even there, imho.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BobbyK posted:

Does the betrayal system start making sense after awhile because right now I kind of hate it.

I finally understand it, so I can explain it in the simplest possible terms:

Essentially, you're crafting your ideal safehouse raid with the system while grinding up the points to actually GO on said raid. You see how every character attached to one of the safehouses has a little descriptive text, like "moving silver coins stash" or whatever? You'll get that as a reward at the end of the raid. Essentially you can have some number of dudes (I think you can have at most 4? Possibly only 3, going off the safehouse design) attached to an activity like, say, transportation. You'll be trying to move the guys with the reward you want onto the safehouse you're doing, but it's pretty random. The higher their rank, the tougher they are to fight and the more info they give. Might affect safehouse rewards/drop rates but I'm not sure, just guessing. Friendships lead to multiple dudes spawning together, making the encounters tougher but giving you more bang for your buck. Rivalries I haven't figured out, I think they lead to the Rival showing up when you're fighting to beat up his enemy, making encounters easier?

That's the gist of it. It looks more complicated than it actually is.

Really, due to the way the system works all you have to do is decide whether the Right choice is worth more to you than the Left choice, depending on your goals. It's not that interactive.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 10, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Is the stuff you need to delve bizarrely rare or am I just unlucky/bugged? I literally haven't seen more of it since the first tutorial cluster and I'm mid act 6...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I guess I need to buy a goddamn SSD. Path of Exile has become almost ludicrously unstable on my HDD, failing to load nearly every time. I still don't understand why it's only doing this to me now, when I last played it back during Harbinger League there were no problems at all... Maybe my HDD is giving up the ghost, it is quite old.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sab669 posted:

Are you using the Steam client? I was having tons of connectivity related issues last League. It'd often throw me back to the login screen from any loading screen, I'd get tons of lag spikes and UI elements for items would take forever to load. Switching to the standalone client fixed all of this for me, this league.

I know I saw at least 1 other user report similar issues as I've described too.

Unless other stuff on that HDD is also misbehaving, it seems like a really odd thing to conclude that its your disk that's failing.

Thanks for the suggestion, I switched over to the standalone client and my problems basically disappeared. Weird. I thought it had something to do with my HDD because looking up the issue online the solutions proposed seemed to be only "Get an SSD, idiot" and the like.

I'm still sad about my constant disconnects causing me to lose a safehouse raid though. Those take a long time to build up and it was really disheartening to slowly use up every one of those 6 portals trying desperately to just load into the map.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm having a different, but still weird issue with Alva where she just keeps showing up. Like, at an honestly absurd rate. I'm talking she's there 4 different times in one map. And yeah, I haven't been able to invite her to my hideout either.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh, that's good then. It's just very goofy because you finish an incursion, walk 5 feet and Alva is just standing there again. It's like a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I got a reasonably workable shield out an incursion that has like 35% chaos resistance and it's just LOVELY to go from negative resistance to any amount of positive. I'm no longer getting insta-gibbed by syndicate assholes!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's been happening to me and a couple of my friends too. They definitely did something at some point that really messed with their optimization.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I gotta say, all the new masters + Veiled Mods and the new crafting make SSF idiots like me really happy. So much easier to get something workable and, as previously shown, you can even make your own top-tier weapons for physical builds with your own two hands relatively easily compared to previous leagues.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

facepalmolive posted:

I know you said you didn't like trading, but just be aware that by being self-found, you're making the experience 2-10x more difficult for yourself (depending on build). Even more so if you're brand new to the game, it's probably more like 30x more difficult. Basically boils down to not knowing what items to toss vs. keep, not to mention how to be efficient with your limited resources and currency. I'm (only) 1600 hours into the game and the idea of playing self-found still terrifies me.

I mean, play however you'd like, but just wanted to set your expectations here. You should expect to have your learning curve be that much steeper.

(Better idea: join goon guild, take freebies from the guild stash (none of them are worth that much anyway, and it's end of the league so no one cares). Try on different pieces and maybe learn a thing or two that way.)

Eh, I'm a complete idiot at this game and play purely SSF due to a sheer hatred of trading and I do fine. I mean, I've never made it to the tip top of Atlas stuff but it's more due to burnout than anything, I can never really keep my interest going after early maps. I guess if you're aiming at that sort of stuff trading becomes more essential though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tenzarin posted:

It's mainly after the exalt prices have settled and trading starts getting pretty restrictive. Less people need garbage chaos items.

Season is never dead if you're a masochist someone who plays SSF then!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So as I usually do for a league start, I watched a video of default skill animations until I saw one that struck my fancy. And, also as usual, I'm just gonna ask here if it's a completely unworkable skill or not. I don't need TOP TIER SHAPER DPS since I usually get bored of playing a single character far before endgame, but I'd like my time through the campaign and early-mid mapping to not be hugely painful.

In this case, the skill that caught my eye was (Vaal) Storm Call. I just really like the visuals of calling down a bunch of lightning strikes all over the place. So yeah, sanity check on that. An ascendancy recommendation wouldn't hurt either, but I try to avoid looking at full builds since that's no fun for me.

Bonus question: Should I also run Herald of Thunder for EXTRA lightning strikes?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pharnakes posted:

If we're talking racing pretty sure the technique is to skip all quests until at least A6 or so, since it will be overall quicker for you to go back and do the skill quests once you have movespeed boots, ect. That's far too crazy for me, if I can average 1 act per hour I consider I'm doing decent, but I would like to improve.

I did try a few characters a week or so ago to see if I can do better than that, I know it shouldn't be too hard to improve from such a low threshold, but I found my main problem was after being away for a couple years I have no idea what's good to level with, resulting in me taking far too long to kill things. This was always my weakness really, I suppose since I only really lay the game for maps I don't think about how to be good at leveling enough, and whilst I can usually come up with a decent end game build, how to efficiently get there is a totally different question.

I'm pretty sure you still want to do both quicksilver flask quests. Tidal Basin and... Uh, is it the spider one in Act 2? I think it's the spider one. If it's not obvious, I'm not a racer and in fact play this game excruciatingly slowly and probably pick up too many items.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Someone give me a build that's not minions/totems/mines (I like being the one doing the hitting for whatever reason) and also not Cyclone since I did that last league and want to change poo poo up.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Looking at my previous league primary characters I realized I have never leveled a Ranger to endgame. I've even got a meme Scion that far, but never a ranger. What are some good Deadeye or Raider skills? Are ballistas any good, cuz they seem neat.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm going to randomly play something related to ballistas without even doing any research as to their viability. Probably either Deadeye or Raider. No research woo! Does poo poo like Far Shot even affect Ballistas anyways...?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, that is neat. I wonder how rare that helmet is gonna be, because it seems cool as heck.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My only plan is "something something Ranger". Probably Deadeye on the offchance that Snipe hat isn't ultra rare and expensive. It sounds neat and I wanna try it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RPZip posted:

Seems significant.

Stand still yelling several different shouts for a full minute then DBZ slam an entire map in one hit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Is something bugged on my end or can you not interact with your harvest when entering the grove from a waypoint? It only lets me harvest or plant or whatever when I enter the grove from a portal after picking up a seed cache. I admit I sorta skipped past the NPC dialog so I could have just missed something here.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Earthshatter is a pretty fun skill. I didn't look up anything and just decided to all in on big two handers and warcries for the league and earthshatter is perfect for both sides. Slam down some rocks and then yell at them until they explode. Feels pretty strong too, if kinda slow. Might get better once I get some more warcry nodes going. I feel like I'm too lazy for the league mechanic tho so I may not stick around for this one. As soon as I got into tier 2 seeds it started getting too much for my peanut brain that just wants to mash buttons.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think I'm gonna wait on a patch or two, my dispensers keep inexplicably not working which is making the league mechanic very frustrating.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean if nothing else the sheer insanity that is their plans for the way skill gems will work in PoE2 is going to radically alter most aspects of character building. Every skill a 6L!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm going to play... Something with that new Blazing Salvo skill since it looks cool. I dunno what. I rarely play casters, what's the go-to for elemental damage these days? Is Elementalist worth it again yet or is Inquisitor still the thing? Chieftain, maybe? I'm the kind of player GGG is catering to with their focus on handcasting since I don't like the feel of triggercasting so I'm also probably going to grab flame wall and see how that plays out.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean I also play this game horribly wrong (SSF) so CI builds are really harsh for me. I'm fully aware I play the game in a super inefficient manner but it's more fun for me this way so idk. I didn't realize it'd be such a complicated question, dang.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So assuming I want to run Trickster as a generic caster to play around with the new spells and such, what are the ascendancy choices to be made? It doesn't seem as clear cut as most others. I'm guessing both ghost shroud things as defensive layer, the rng chaos one and... I have no idea what the fourth is. Or even if the rng chaos one is good.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Cinara posted:

The best ascendancy choices would be respec to Assassin. Trickster really isn't a great generic caster, but you'd take Ghost Shrouds, Harness the Void and Swift Killer.

Man it's so hard to ask questions like this because it seems like everyone has a different absolute fact about it. I asked elsewhere and was told Trickster, but now it's apparently Assassin (even after nerf?) and it makes it very hard to decide to do anything in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

All these people recommending a premium stash tab above all others while I, a SSF madman, save like... a fraction of a dollar! The power is unimaginable.