Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Started on Sunday and managed to make it to act 8 last night on a essence drain occultist. Maybe I'll get to Chaos Inoculation before reset, but I feel like I've got a fairly good grip on the first part of the game. Any suggestions on builds to play given what I've done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Grimoire posted:

ED/Cont is complicated for a very first build, so you should be good for any starter build out there.

If you like chaos/degen and wanna try out bows my suggestion would be a toxfinder with scorpion friend like so https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2211905 .

Awesome, toxic rain seems fun and good and cool. Granted I haven't gotten CI yet, what makes ED/Cont hard? I just ED and then Cont and everything dies, even stuff the next room over if I'm lucky.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Can I get an invite on OriginalOcelot? Online rn.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I'm still trying to understand the fine mechanics behind syndicate. I understand that promoting guys gives you more intelligence in the future but makes them stronger via more "items". Do those items and/or rank impact the number of drops or the quality of drops? Does interrogate or the other option produce more drops? Does the "item" drop if you take an action that reduces their rank??

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

After years of sitting on my backburner I think it's time to give PoE a try. How badly am I going to screw myself over by going in mostly blind and not following any build guides? I fully expect to have to create a second character because I have zero idea how endgame equipment/skills/ect work together. Is leveling a new character time consuming enough that this is a bad idea, or will it be pretty easy to get back to the same level as my first considering I'll know more or less what I'm doing by then?

Game gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself and it's expensive to fix big mistakes. That being said, I don't think going in blind is bad, and leveling a second character isn't too bad. I played for a 10 days before the league starts and got a 60, 40 and 30.

That being said, maybe decide if you wanna be a spell girl, sword dude or arrow man's and check out a league starter build to get the gist.

Also, day 6 in my first league and I'm sitting at 150 chaos womp womp

E:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Stop using poe.trade, it's been slow since last league if not longer. Official is faster and IMO better - https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Betrayal

As for price it'll start dropping pretty quick, from https://poe-antiquary.xyz/Delve/Accessory/Essence%20Worm/497 it was 65c day 3, 20c at 10, 9c at 20. By a month in they level out at 5c.

Poe.trade has ads with malware in them and I think Google flagged it as an untrusted sight. It also has broken https I think? Caveat emptor.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 12, 2018

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

So my 85 BV elementalist is having problems reliably clearing t8+ content; either I die to syndicate or random poo poo or boss mechanics. I've got 4.6k life, maxed elemental resists and ~45 chaos. Would better damage help solve this problem? Am I just bad at pushing buttons? Should I retoll? Delete my characters? uninstall? Reformat?

I haven't made positive experience in 10 maps :smith:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah, link your profile

should probably have more hp, my bv elementalist last league was about 6k

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Boneytooth/characters?characterName=xxBetrayer_Gurlxx

I've got about 150 chaos, so plenty of cash to upgrade with, but it's hard to find upgrades that don't gently caress up my resistance equilibrium. It's also unclear to me when a particular weapon/shield is an upgrade for me.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

what kind of loving monster doesn't use a quicksilver

I was running a map that had a persistent curse so I swapped in that flask, but I rarely use the quicksilver anyway cause I'm just shield charging around all day.

hawowanlawow posted:

Edit: and yeah, a taste of hate flask and instant health flask

Got the instant health flask, will work on taste of hate but that's gonna wipe me out.

cytoc posted:

What everyone else has said, but I'd add:
- You can do better than survival instincts as a gem (I don't even think the dex is doing anything to help hit requirements at the moment?). You should be able to get something with more all resistance (or one res to fill the gap) and some combo of life or dmg mods for a few chaos
- Grab the holy dominion node, it's +12% to all res, +12% global phys and +12% ele dmg. That removes a lot of pressure on your gear and is also a nice dmg node for your build. I'm assuming that you'll eventually grab the power charge based on your current pathing, but if you're not grabbing that soon, you could re-path through holy dominion and save a point to get another +5% life node.

Eminai posted:

You're sacrificing way too much for your chaos resist. You should be able to cap all your non chaos resists and get at least 60 life on every piece for relatively cheap.

Use the crafting bench to add a fourth socket to your gloves so you don't gently caress up the colors, link that and put blind in it.

Get uber lab done asap so you can get beacon of ruin. It's huge. If you need trials, either ask in guild or hop in global 820 for them. If you can't kill izaro, buy a carry. If you can't make it through the traps, buy a carry and run around with three life flasks, two quicksilver flasks and https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Bloodgrip

Mind over matter and the mana nodes is not something I'd recommend as elementalist, and not using HoA is almost certainly wrong. The nodes between shadow start and Coordination are bad, regret them and use those points for more 5% life nodes.

Added the 4th socket, got the blind gem. Went ahead and got rid of the shadow start->coordination, picked up more health and holy dominion. I feel like dropping mind over matter is gonna make me super squishy until I upgrade all my gear, so holding off on that for now.

I've got a laundry list of things to work on so that's cool and good. This is the build I was going off of, btw: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2144831

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

queeb posted:

Quicksilver makes your shield charge faster.

Whaaaaaat

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

cytoc posted:

The build itself should be solid, though I think he changed the pathing around holy dominion in the final tree to save a point compared to your current pathing.

The tree for the final build in that thread opens up with the delve (3.4) league tree, so I'd assume it's just been adjusted from a tree built for last league. I think this league's mechanics really favour acrobatics / phase acrobatics. Looking at poe.ninja, 77% of BV elementalists captured (level 91+) are running acrobatics, which doesn't really surprise me because I've restructured my planned tree to grab these nodes for this league. This doesn't mean that you should change your plans, it's just something to consider trying to fit in if you're feeling a bit squishy (for instance, I think I'd much rather have acrobatics this league than the nodes leading into shadow start).

I was actually looking at this since I'm not really supposed to care about evasion, armor or ES and 30% Dodge seems really good. I've got like 30 orbs of regret, so maybe I'll try. This is NY first character in my first league, whats the worst that could happen?

Also, how are you guys figuring out that 77% of bv elementalists are taking acrobatics?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Wanted to post an update for the goons that helped me unjank my BV elementalist over the weekend.

I regret'd MoM and shadow start skills, grabbed Holy Dominion, Acrobatics, more life nodes, upgraded my gem and hit 5k life and have been doing way better ever since. Solo'd Uber labs, then grabbed Taste of Hate and cleared elder on yellow maps (phase two even!), cleared my first T11 red map. Tried Mastermind but whiffed that because I burned 3 deaths on not understanding the phase 2 of the fight.

What I haven't done is vastly change my gear yet. Juggling resists is a bit daunting but I can get over that. What's confusing is damage stats.

My build guide suggests I want crit chance as my first stat, but other variations (tri-herald, etc) on BV Elementalist want spell damage, and yet other guides suggest crit multi. It seems like any will do, so I should probably grab all 3.

Also, I've converted all of my BV physical damage to lightning (Gem) and cold (Hrims). Do I still benefit from increased physical damage on weapons? Does the converted cold portion benefit from increased cold damage? Do the cold and lightning benefit form the +#% elemental damage implicit modifiers on scepters?

E: thanks for all the help also, it was awesome soloing this poo poo and having things kind of fall into place a lot better.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ayndin posted:

Also have a Vaults of Atziri map to do at some point; since all the items there come out of pots and chests and such, will I have a problem there ancestral bond zeroing my damage or something?

There's no creatures in the zone, and I believe pots don't require damage to open.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Is this the primary use for Chances - trying to roll a specific unique? Are there any others? I know they can be used as currency otherwise but I've figured out how/when to use the others, but not that one.

This is what I've been using them for. You can also use then on white strongboxes, etc, that you find. They're also currency for gems, enchants and maps.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Related, how do you guys that don't pick anything up get alterations or transmutes if you need them, just trade higher level orbs to vendors?

I think the idea is that they're running maps so fast by ignoring the low stuff and only pulling the high stuff that they can afford to trade chaos, etc to other players for alterations or whatever else they need.

I'm still having problems not picking up garbage and having fun sorting my loot, but I get the method and it sounds legit.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

frankenbeans posted:

I think I've fixed my problem with the game just exiting to desktop with no warning. I would just be playing normally and pow! Gone. Like I'd hit Alt-F4. No error message, nothing, just gone.

I updated my drivers (1070Ti) but that made no difference, so I killed Discord and the GeForce overlay and since then I've not had a single CTD. It seems to be related to one of the two. I'm not going to go into any more detail to work out which one, because gently caress them both with a wire brush.

Woah, cool. I get poo poo tons of blue screens, CTD and the ubiquitous "failed to uncompress texture file" crashes. Gonna try this and hope it helps.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Excpet they said they're working on d4. Hl3 has never been confirmed. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Can't wait 2 return 2 Tristram with Gordon Freeman.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ode to a Level 21 CWDT Gem,

gently caress.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

If I had to guess, I bet updating pricing sends an async message to a queue that is eventually processed and the speed of updating is proportional to the amount of updates happening.

If I had to guess, I imagine poe.trade does periodic polling based on a time invalidated cache. I bet that it slows down at points where a disproportionately large segment of the cache becomes invalidated and the number of items that need to be updated is significantly greater than the reqs/sec they're allowed to the stash API.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

ButtWolf posted:

I gave away everything I own a couple of weeks ago. Now I want to play again, since I found out this semester should be real easy. Could anyone help me out, just by buying me my gem setup? like level 15s or so. I should have kept currency at least... Also, is guild still full? I knew I'd get purged pretty quick.

What was your in-game name?

If you were the goon that gave me a bunch of stuff, I'll just dump a bunch of poo poo on you.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Can I get a guild invite for xxBetrayer_Gurlxx?

Last league, my first league, I did crit BV Elementalist to T15 maps and got to yellow maps on a RF Jugg. I reaaaaally want to do some kind of soulrend dot curse occultist; but everyone else will do that too, so maybe it's better to do some kind of bow shooty man or RF Jugg again? Too many decisions, someone halp.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Glad I burned all my league luck before it even started lol

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Addamere posted:

why is there a queue what is this 2005

It's there to rate-throttle logins and make sure the servers don't crash as soon as they go up when 30k people try to log in.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Loot log is good, but it feels like no one has been donating much compared to last year. I grabbed a few neat upgrades and any early soulrend gem (!!!) But it's just not full like last year.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Sames. I pulled a synthesis circlet at ilevel 59 with locked t2 health / t4 Mana that I sold for 5c so I think it's p cool so far.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Having a blast in league so far, despite the wonkyness of Synthesis mechanics. Finished my first yellow map, slowly working my way downwards in Delve.

Can anyone give me some gear / build suggestions? https://pastebin.com/Yr9f3gk7 / https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/boneytooth/characters/SynthJunkieDotFiend

I think I"m gonna grab a bated breath and then upgrade my weapons. I originally wanted to go for a staff for an extra 5-6L so I could be 6L soulrend 6L bane, but I have no idea where I'd get the strength for it.

I've also got 8 (!!) passives saved up that I have no idea what to

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I've gone slightly different with my bane build. I've got Vixen's Entrapment with temporal chains, enfeeble and assassin's mark supported by increased area effect and a Doedre's Scorn with controlled destruction, efficacy, despair and bane. Soulrend is in my 5L chest.

I'm wondering if it's better to find a boss hubris circlet and swap bane to chest for more supports. Then run 4L soulrend in my helmet and whither with multi totem support in the qeapon.

Had no problems doing T10 last night but I definitely want to figure this out before I farm that sweet 40% bane enchant.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Hit a couple league goals recently:

Killed yellow elder. It was good, but took a couple deaths. Those tentacles gently caress me up

Hit level 90 on my bane occultist.

Tried some serious crafting. It started and ended with me annuling a T1 +%NACDOT off of a ilevel 83 wand with four mods. 120c down the drain, I feel vindicated.

Killed some beasts.

League mechanic may suck, but I'm still having a blast in my second league ever, and I've got a bunch of goals to go.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

I'm a little worried that the nature of these 3-month leagues means that the crashes, load times, disconnects and FPS lag during betrayal encounters are symptoms of a metric fuckton of technical debt. Hopefully the next league being a little less bombastic will give some time to make sure things don't fall apart.

The crashes get get to me and they're usually not from betrayal. Lately, it seems like I can't play on a weeknight without 4+ crashes, and I've had several.memory paths ruined for it.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Most of my gam crashing isn't related to betrayal, or any particular mechanic. I just crash. A lot. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

docbeard posted:

I really like the Betrayal stuff overall (or I did last league) but yeah the core version really needs some work. If nothing else (using Incursion as a general model), you should ideally be running a safehouse every 11 or so Betrayal encounters (so every 4 maps or so), instead of, you know, never, but of course with four (five counting mastermind) different safehouses in play, each of which have different rewards that you'd want to game, I don't know how you balance that, exactly.

Yes. I just finiahed my third safe house (intervention), and while it netted me 100c, I don't think I'll finish it again this league.

Also, I think the whole trade-off between promoting people and giving them items and getting loot eventually versus destroying items to make encounters easier and forfeiting loot is stupid. I've never had a betrayal item drop that was worth using, and it's even less relevant with fewer encounters and fewer safe houses.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Elentor posted:

Try capping the FPS to 60, setting everything to low, disable post-process, absolutely do not turn on GI, and reduce the resolution. If you're on borderless the resolution option still works as render scale. Set it to, say, 1280x720. Do not play on non-borderless fullscreen. Yes, even if you're on Win10.

Initialize PoE with this at the end of the command line: -gc 2

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile_x64.exe" -gc 2

Do not play with Chrome open.
Do not play with PoB open.

Non-rhetorically, tell me if you still get frequent crashes after these steps.

I had a whole 3 hour session tonight without a crash. Killed red elder, no deaths. Game looks like hot steaming pixelated garbage but I'm happy. Thank you.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Any funky / starter builds I could try if I have no specific bossing goals? Maybe something with bows?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Friends, I've been too busy slacking to figure out my build. I want some kind of cast on crit cyclone spam screen with proiectiles build because MY GIRLFRIEND likes pretty colors. Please help.

Thanks and Kitava bless

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Debating between Cyclone CWC BV staff duelist trickster and Cyclone CWC BV RF Chieftain. But there aren't really any builds guides and I've never played anything but a witch so everything is very confusing!!!!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Also, poe.ninja for uniques, cards, bases, gems, basically anything that isn't a rare.

E:. I got frustrated with the crashes and POE generally running like poo poo on my 5 year old computer and built a new one. This game is incredibly fun and incredibly beautiful when you aren't crashing 5 times an hour and dynamically adjusting to 30 fps of pixelated garbage that soft locks on betrayal and legion content. And I found two ex :haw:

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 12, 2019

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Thanks for all the help I got from the discord goons last night. I picked up a 6L, two Ahns, a Pacifism and fixed my gems and now my dude positively fucks.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ruggan posted:

I'm running a 2h crit cyclone slayer. Two questions:

1) What are some ways to get faster movespeed? I'd like to be able to run around super faster. I'm currently using 30% MS boots, Blood Rage (for the frenzy charges), and a quicksilver flask. What else can I do to increase MS without sacrificing gear quality?

2) How can I add some sort of pack-proliferation into the mix? I'd like to be able to kill a whole pack with a few hits instead of having to cyclone through the whole thing. Is Hemophilia my best option? Any others? Auras are out because I'm already maxxed out at B&S/F&S/Pride w/ maim support.

1. There's a Slayer node that gives move speed on kill. You can also get devotos. There are also some movespeed nodes but only for 3-4%. There's also increased move speed if you haven't been hit recently boots enchant.

2. Hemo did wonders for my dps as a 2h cyclone Slayer. No chance to bleed nodes or gems, just hemo.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I beat shaper for the first time last night. Chimera and Phoenix were rough, but the other two were chumps. I did those blind but watched a vid on shaper first, managed to pull it off with two deaths. Not bad!

I think that means I'm done for the league unless I want to start a new character, as I have serious, significant doubts on this character doing Uber elder, despite the fact that he chumps elder and did fine against shaper.

Has a tone tried the cyclone CWC raise zombies detonate dead build yet?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Based on his last dozen or so posts talking about SST, I'm going to take a WAG and say "yes".

But what is WAG? How does it perform in red maps? Clear speed or bossing???

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Now annul the armor bonus off and slam :getin:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

This is good

I'd like it if there were more alternate implicit items, like the maraketh ones

My friend, have you heard of our Lord and Savior, Cavas, who hath come to deliver us from the hell of explication?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Can I start obsessively theory crafting about next league yet? No? How long till I can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

At least wait until it's announced tomorrow!

Cool, not sleeping tonight and calling out of work.