Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

RoboJoe posted:

I've not played this game before but I was talking to a couple of friends about it a few days ago, who explained some things and showed me some videos, and it looks a lot of fun to play. I was told I should wait to start playing until this week when the new patch comes out though, so I'll do that.

One thing I'm not too clear on is how character builds work, because I saw the passive skill tree and that looks very confusing to me, however I do know that skills for abilities you attack with, etc, are gems you slot into your equipment though, unless I'm mistaken?

For example, I generally like 3 types of playstyles:
1) Hitting things really hard with a giant weapon, or dual-wielding, or with a sword and shield (especially if the shield has attacks that let me hit things with the shield).
2) Summoning lots of minions like skelllingtons or zombies or demons or whatever to flood the area and kill things for me.
3) Running around and casting a bunch of damage over time effects onto enemies.

So, if I wanted to do something like these builds, firstly would it be easy to do one of these when I'm just starting the game (especially minions)? How would I actually build a character in one of these ways with the passive and the way the gem system works? How would I get the skill gems needed to try to doing any of this?

Sorry for these dumb questions, I did try reading the OP but even that was overwhelming and somewhat confusing for me and I didn't see anything really basic like this.

Look up "SRS" guides for 3.0. The spell it's based around is Summon Raging Spirit and you flood the screen with angry fire skulls that absolutely mulch anything they get in contact with. It's a good starter build too.

You get the spell from a quest really early on so you can start spamming fire skulls right away. Then as you level you'll get quest reward support gems that you'll link to SRS that will increase your skulls damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
The final 3.0 skill tree is out and Path of Building has been updated.

They went and slapped %Increased Damage with Ailments on just about every physical damage node. Bleed and Poison are now looking pretty drat good (again...)!

E: I'm so happy, Poison Blade Flurry has great dps again. I've got my starter!

Twist And Pout! fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 3, 2017

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Social Media posted:

it's looking like pizzasticks or lightning conversion BV for me. at least for the next hour until i see something else tempting :negative:

I feel you. I'm tempted to just level 4 or 5 characters I want to play to act 5 so I can grab the threshold gems I need for some of them while seeing what I like the most.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I hope mathil didn't gently caress up frost blades ranger for me

Touch of Anguish claws are going to be crazy expensive for a couple weeks. Frost Blades was popping up in 3.0 starter threads even before Mathil's video.

I think it's still ok without the claw though! Just a little slower for clearing maps.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I was thinking of going Dual Wield Gladiator. Does that end up being expensive for a first character?

It'll definitely take you to the end of the game and you'll be able to clear low to mid tier maps with mediocre gear, granted you've got around 200% life from the passive tree and 300%ish damage split between one handed and dual wield nodes. And make sure your resistances are capped. All easy things to do. You probably will need to buy 2 decent weapons for a chaos orb each when you hit maps and you'll be good to start the gear treadmill.

Now if you wanna kill the endgame bosses... I can't comment on how expensive it is to gear up a physical gladiator for that (If you're even going phys damage). I've got 900 hours in this game and I've never even fought a guardian or shaper.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
thank god I bought a Nintendo Switch™ - now I can play video games at my gaming computer while waiting for PC game servers to come up

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

When do you start getting Jewels for the passive tree? I am one node away from a jewel slot right now (Two if I need to activate it with a skill point) and I am wondering if I should go ahead and take it or wait till I actually have something to use.

It's two, but jewel nodes can be huge increases to damage and survivability. A well rolled jewel can be like 20%+ added damage, some crit% and 6% life, totally crazy.

When you get them or IF you get them all depends on how far you need to travel for the stuff that makes your build work. Note that the good ones are also expensive as all hell so maaaaybe don't get too many for your first character.

I don't usually get any jewel nodes until I'm really invested in the character and in the 90+ level range. It's there that you need to make the biggest impact with as few skill points as possible.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Vasudus posted:

Alright so Charged Dash 6L time. I am currently running flat elemental CD with two Fidelitas' Spikes which are obscenely good for this build. I do exclusively Lightning damage. I am very pleased with CD linked with WED, Ruthlessness, and Added Lightning Damage. Lightning Penetration is the next obvious upgrade, which leads me to my problem: I need a 5-off QotF for my 100% ideal setup. Swap Ruthlessness for Faster Attacks and that's still 4-off, which while an order of magnitude easier is still a pain.

Should I just forget the idea of running a QotF entirely and get an EV/ES chest? Carcass Jack perhaps?

Vorici Calculator actually says you'll only need ~200 chromatics if you do the 1Red1Blue craft through Vorici to get those colors on a QotF. Not great but chromatics are easy to come by at least.

If you don't have any increased area on the tree I'd probably go with the Carcass Jack though. Feels like CD scales really well with increased area, but I haven't done any hard testing. It instantly felt much better to me when I picked up the area nodes near the Templar area + Slayer area nodes.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

It does work for stacking scorching ray for damage and debuff, though. Plus, it adds chance to dodge (stacks with acro) and movement speed (best stat in the game). I'm actually pretty confident in this choice.

Why Culling Strike? Why not Elemental Focus for the huge more% multiplier? I don't think you are trying to ignite things with Vaal Pact Firestorm and Searing Ray will apply it's burn DoT even with Elemental Focus because it doesn't "hit" This alone will give you a flat out 50% overall damage buff at gem level 20.

Get a 20% elemental damage Atziri's Promise flask as well. That's a good chunk of damage and survivability through leech right there.

Pretty sure these changes + the 40% more damage node in Zerker will be plenty to clear bosses once you get your gear to that level as well.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm curious what spectre's he ended up using, the act 5 guardians with proximity shields and spectral throw I assume.

He used the wickermen with the righteous fire aura you see in act10. The AI gets in quick and they are pretty tanky to boot.

Also this "race to 100" thing was bonkers to check in on. Raiz would sleep for 3 hours and then bang out another 18-20 hours of straight racecourse grinding. The top 5 were just waiting for whoever was above them to sleep so they could finally sleep themselves.

Raiz started getting bad hand cramps a few days ago but still kept playing. What the hell.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Awesome! posted:

which part is surprising to you? the fact that he started getting hand cramps after that many 18 hour sessions or that he kept playing with it

That he kept playing with it. I guess he got some decent donations towards the end there.

But then I see a youtube video titled "Can A Human Trick Their Mind into Eating 10 Cacti??" and remember that there doesn't have to be a reason for anything in this world.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

AegisP posted:

Chests or Flasks, typically.

I had never thought to use one on one of the many Strange Barrels I've seen so far. Oh my god.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Quad bodyswap totem hierophant is probably gonna be poo poo but I'll be damned if I'm not doing it as my starter. Hopefully I can get to maps for currency at least.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
TwoZombiesOneCup needs an invite if possible!

Also, the spectre changes are the greatest thing ever. I don't have to backtrack and find my spectres before I get to actually play anymore.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

neurotech posted:

Is anyone doing Mathil's Molten Strike + Whatever build? If so, are you finding the Molten Strike part a bit underwhelming for single target? I'm at 75 now and Molten Strike (linked with Elemental Damage with Attacks, Multistrike, Ice Bite, Ancestral Call) and yeah... sometimes it feels great (i.e. when the boss is up against a wall or in a corner) but if they're out in the open it feels really inefficient and weak.

Is there a better 5L setup for MS that doesn't lean so heavily on whether the boss is near a wall?

For reference, my character is called Mirrorcheese and can be seen here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/neurotech/characters

Little late replying to this but I had the same issue and swapped to Concentrated Effect instead of ice bite and it's been a ton better single target. Also make sure you are trying to get some space between you and the boss before you start molten striking.

It's probably unintended but holding shift to attack in front of the boss with molten strike will also trigger an ancestral call attack on the boss, causing you to do a ton more damage as you and your ancestral call ghost spam molten orbs. This is pretty hard to do with melee bosses though.

Mathils single target isn't always what it is in his videos, it's harder to pull off that ancestral call trick against melee bosses.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
The amount of people creating characters to grind twilight strand for 10 hours to hit level 7 and kill hillock is insane. Meanwhile the sword guy is in global 1 chat getting off to all the questions and comments.

He did not appreciate me calling a whole series of ladies trapped in swords creepy and probably some kind of fetish

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Grinding twilight strand for 6 hours straight does not strike me as a good time.

...people are going to farm the sword and sell it for shitloads. Though it occurs to me you can only carry what, six of them into town? Seven if you're wielding one. Or maybe you can only get one of them per character. I know the game can see what items you're carrying.

The sword creator and Chris have both confirmed it's one sword per character. It triggers a quest flag when uber hillock drops the sword.

So people are going to bot the ever loving poo poo out of this. I'm sure countless currency farmers already have functional twilight strand grinders

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Zero VGS, just throw those totems right in front of kitava/ on top of the heart and run to the other side of the arena if he looks at you.

Make sure you have a portal open at all times to hop into.

The red Xs take forever to go off and they only do 3k ish damage. You'll be fine.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Pathfinder + oni goroshi has worked out really nicely. I get a ton of bonus elemental damage and my souped-up ruby flask takes a huge chunk off the sword degen. I'm doing a full conversion ele build using frost blades and Hrimburn gloves.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Can the worms from writhing jar be cursed? My gameplan for bosses on my occultist is going to be to pop that flask twice and kill the worms for a 128% added damage as Chaos buff for bosses.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Goons I have been blessed with a 6link Pledge of Hands drop. What are some builds that I could roll with it? I’m thinking the new cascade gem takes storm calls clear to a whole new level so I might try that.

This was my first 6l drop and it was on a nontrash unique, incredible.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Ever do Glacial Cascade mines? It’s a little clunky at first ( you use ability A to set the mines a few times, then use ability B to detonate ) but after your second lab run you are detonating full screen waves of ice doom that one shot everything.

This league even had an awesome quality of life buff to miners with % regen up to 20% of your max hp a second. Makes lab way better when you get to spam mines to run thru traps.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Zotix posted:

So I had an exalt drop last night and needed chaos so I went over to poe.trade. First copy on the exchange didn't respond so I quickly copied the next 5 or so and sent them out. One replies back, I go to his hideout and throw the exalt in the window and he throws up stacks of chaos in the window and his window turns green. I quickly accept and log my rear end out knowing it was more than the 75. I realized that I pasted over 2ex for 150c as that was the lowest amount and he thought I was selling 2. So I got a free exalt. I feel bad, but gently caress it. I've had worse happen to me back when I played UO.

Player interaction at its finest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

The Locator posted:

I have what is probably a stupid question about the PP/VD build here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2050819

I am using the Scion/Elementalist option, not Templar.

This build, and every other build for PP/VD I've seen has a 4-link with Frenzy in it. In this case it's Frenzy - Assassin's Mark - Curse On Hit - Greater Multiple Projectiles.

My dumb question is, if you are using VD on the Pens w/Unearth and sperging about getting your attack speed just right to maximize the attack rate on it, how are you supposed to work in a completely different attack (Frenzy) that isn't related to the Pens/VD/Unearth at all? Am I missing something stupid here in how the mechanics work?

Frenzy is effectively your main skill. You spam frenzy to activate the spells in your poets pens. The frenzy charges are basically always up and help you get to that .26 aspd goal.

You aren’t casting anything in a PP build but frenzy.