Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
seriously

temp ban anyone who's dropped less than 1K on this game, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bardeh posted:

E: Also, most of the cosmetic stuff I see people running around with looks really cool, but right now in town there's a little megaman looking thing and it looks ridiculously out of place. Why the hell is it there when everything else seems to fit so well with the general visual theme of the game?

Really curious what set you mean

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

lmao

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

The spell echo and faster casting you link with summon skeletons, to cast your skeletons faster, also increases the cast speed of your summoned skeletons. You can get 20k dps per skeleton mage (you have 9 mages) with level 20 gems and the right gear.

Links are: Summon Skeletons, Spell Echo, Faster Casting, Minion Damage, Greater Multiple Projectiles. With a six link you can add Elemental Focus. I also use flesh offering and anger, and dual curse projectile weakness and elemental weakness.

Plus, you know, nine skeletons all casting ten or so projectiles a second also looks pretty loving great.

I'm working on a Skeleton Mage build myself but I thought Spell Echo didn't affect the projectiles, per Path of Building? Wouldn't mind being wrong on this :getin:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Agent355 posted:

I like buying spell effect premium stuff for my characters but are there any available for melee totems like ancient warchief? In the shop they all say 'magic or ranged attack' and not 'melee attack' but it doesn't make sense it'd work for one and not the other. Can somebody confirm they work for melee totems before I drop :10bux:

No, there's no MTX for Warchief

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

whypick1 posted:

- SV's wife on their wedding day

from hell's heart etc.

but also lol

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

scissorman posted:

How difficult is the endgame really?
When looking for build guides I see labels like Uber*-capable and whatever, does that mean that other builds cannot complete that content?

Usually when a build says "UBER FARMER" or whatever it just means that it's particularly well-suited for that content. Uber lab builds generally want to be fast and have high ST dps.

You can still complete the content up to guardians at least without a specialized build. I've farmed uber lab with my terrible homebrew siege ballista iron commander build. It may not be optimal, or pleasant, or fun, but it's doable.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

AegisP posted:

The sentiment I've heard that seems to instantly fit is that Harbinger feels like a league that already happened and was then added to the base game afterwards.

Bex said on Reddit they're aware that Harbinger sucks poo poo and they have some improvements planned, so fingers crossed

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Anarkii posted:

I don't understand the point of sextants. They seem to have mostly negative effects without adding additional rewards. Why should I be using them on atlas?

You want the ones that are "Areas contain additional Monsters that deal <x> damage" because they cram even more monsters into your map, so you get the most value out of your chisels etc

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Stupid question. I have a Violent Dead jewel. The wording is 'with X intelligence in range, zombie slam attack does more damage, and has increased cooldown recovery speed'. The wording of that last part....I can't tell whether it's slower or faster. Because ofthis, I ain't placed it yet.

It makes them slam faster. if zombies are your primary or secondary damage source, get 2 and slot them immediately.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

McFrugal posted:

She isn't eaten, just stored inside him or some magical nonsense. She comes out to help the brine king during the fight, after all. I suspect she's supposed to like, escape when you kill him but I sure didn't see it happen.

I'm sorry to have to break this to you, McFrugal, but... she's not real.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

If you're using flesh offering your minions will still have net positive movement speed, or a single piece of minion speed gear

also SRS are pretty fast

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait, contagion spreads ED damage??? This changes everything...

Yep. It'd ED's main AOE mechanic. When something with Contagion dies, you get a Contagion circle that spreads Contagion and ED from that mob to all other mobs in the circle. If those mobs die, they have Contagion so they will also spread Contagion + ED.

The caveat is that the duration of Contagion and ED will not reset when Contagion spreads, so if there is 1 second left when it spreads, you get 1 second of dots.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

It's not always clear to newer players or normal human beings who don't fulltime sperg on this game that "the debuff" in that context means "ED's ~sicknasty~ dot dps", you'd be surprised how often I see that question

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I followed some dumbshit guide that had me using just ED including GMP and picking up the projectiles piercing wheel. Goddamnit.

That should work pretty well! Pierce is very good for ED.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Decay doesn't spread.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I don't know the answer to your question but goddamn GC mines looks fun. I never thought of toteming Detonate Mine.

ShutteredIn posted:

Did GGG manage to make harbingers even shittier? I just had one in a map drop only a single binding shard.

Packs take longer, the loot is worse, and from what Reddit is crying about Beachheads are no longer worth running. Great improvements all around.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I have everything but the pure light wings and I.dont have the stomach.to keep buying packs till I get them

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

If they do fix trading, I hope they keep the thing where if you underprice an item you get a million whispers. That way a newbie can learn that they've underpriced something instead of having no clue at all that it happened.

The problem though is you've usually sold the item to someone using some other tool by the time poe.trade catches up

as I found out yesterday when I slightly underpriced a Wise Oak, sold it in 10 minutes, then roughly 20 minutes later the poe.trade deluge started

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Well this isn't good. I get this error and crash when I try to log in.

Happened 4 times in a row.

I got a similar error that went away after I verified files on steam

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Finally got a biscos for the first time in my poe career. Not sure how I ever go back to characters that actually need their neck slot for something else

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

So CwDT - Increased Duration - Immortal Call?

I don't think I have any way of generating endurance charges currently.

You don't actually need endurance charges to cast IC, it will still provide a .5 second invuln

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Tulip posted:

Some thoughts:

I'm having a pretty consistent crash if I try to run PoE and any VOIP. Which sucks, because I like to MP/chill when playing. It seems to be only since the latest patch.

I'm into Orange maps, and I still am not currency positive without using Chaos recipe. It feels like my leveling character is bankrolling my mapping character.

The guide I'm using recommends Mistress of Sacrifice instead of Spirit Eater. Is there something I'm missing, or is 30% movespeed > 30% damage?

It's hard to overstate how good Mistress of Sacrifice is. At high levels clearing efficiently is all about going fast, and permanent Flesh Offering is just incredible. It makes Shield Charging around incredibly fast and smooth. If you haven't tried it, try it. You can always respec out of it (5 respec points per ascendancy node).

Spirit Eater is Very Good, but usually has to get kicked to the curb in a spectre build because Soul Weaver takes up so many points.

Also, you should be currency positive by the time you hit Tier 6 maps. Probably before then. Make sure you're, at a minimum, transmuting/augmenting/alting them until you get packsize above 10. Don't waste chisels or alchs on maps until you're at least in at T10-12, they're not worth it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Tulip posted:

Alright on MoS vs. Spirit Eater. I still haven't beaten uber lab. Because I'm bad and keep ripping to traps.

It might be because I'm still using Alchs and Vaals like crazy to fill out my atlas, but when I'm not doing that, I'm generally doing the magic method, no chisels. I'm just generally only getting alts and transmutes, along with only occasional maps. Things feel better in the T12+ range, but I'm kinda rippy (because I'm bad, I think my build/character is in pretty good shape) so I haven't gotten past level 86.

Which T6 should I use my Shaper's Orb on? I know the meta has shifted away from Strand, but to what, and what are the pros/cons?

Racecourse is pretty commonly accepted as a good T6 to shape, 3 bosses and a linear layout if you run it right https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6u38sf/how_to_run_racecourse_without_backtracking_at_all/

Once you're into reds using alchs makes a lot more sense, at least to me. The returns get pretty good.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What map tier do you start orbing up strongboxes? I'm floating around on T5/6 right now and the extent of my interaction with them is plopping a transmute into them when they're white. Reading the last page, apparently when I stumbled upon a Diviner's strongbox yesterday I was supposed to apply like 10 effects to it.

I orb up diviner's and arcanist's at any tier and am pleased with the results

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

Okay I'm here looking for some advice for my Stormcall/Shock Nova elementalist. It's level 74 but has real big trouble surviving even T2-3 maps.

I capped my resists, of course. I would like to know if my passive tree is good and what sort of gear to invest in.

Hard to say without seeing your gear and your gem setups. Your profile is set to private. Your life is at 157% right now, which is a little low but not dramatically low. Do you have T1-T2 life on every rare? % life doesn't do much for you without big chunks of flat life on gear.

Generic things that boost survivability: defensive flasks, bubbling potions, blasphemied temp chains, CWDT immortal call, stone golem, decoy totem, the Scion life wheel

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

You could get a lot more life on those rings for a few chaos. Same with the necklace. Beast Fur Shawl is great but not for a life build, you can get a 5L chest with good resists and a big chunk of life for a not much investment.

Suggestions (you obviously can't do all of these):

Set up Immortal Call - CWDT, that will save you from a lot of spike deaths.

Try out a decoy totem -- even unlinked, it's a huge surv boost.

Try out Leap Slam - Fort - Faster Attacks on a RRG. Not the best option, but an option.

I see you're running Enfeeble on Lightning Orb -- personally I prefer my defensive curses to be on a Blasph so it's never not there when I need it. Blasphemied Temp Chains is my go-to for living longer. Also since you chose the Witch master race, take advantage of the fact that you're only 3 points away from dual curse -- if you scrape 3 points for dual curse, you could keep COH Orb for offensive purposes, but put Conductivity or whatever lighting builds use and really increase your DPS. Or do one defensive curse on blasph, the other on orb. Whatever lets you push into yellows.

Try out a Stibnite flask instead of that sulphur. Roll better suffixes on your flasks, do you even do physical damage? You should really have at least one flask "of Heat" and at least one flask "of Staunching", those will save you from a ton of deaths. "of Dousing" is also very good.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How do "%chance to shock" on jewels work? Like if I'm dealing pure phys damage can I still shock if I got one slotted?

No. You still have to be dealing a damage type that can shock.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Unless you're using a Starforge.

I feel like he would have mentioned that, WHYPICK

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

They made Skele Mages the build of the week so I sold off all of my Skele Mage gear for double what I paid for it (Thanks GGG) and I don't know what to reroll as, but I've wanted to use Wings of Entropy ever since I first saw it, I just can't imagine anything that would make it good since it's split chaos/elemental/phys damage
Oh sweet, time to strip my Skelemage league starter

vOv posted:

I'm lazy and don't feel like looking things up on poe.trade's currency exchange, which master currency discounts are worth doing?

Vorici definitely is. Not sure on others.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I have found that the answer to "why is POB telling me something that makes no sense" is always "because I am extremely stupid and I configured it wrong"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

ahahaha

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Using the key mods, here's a similar amulet listed for 60c. Yours is better imo. Start high and inch it until it sells?

http://poe.trade/search/ososikitanikia

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

beejay posted:

I see... I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, I like the uniques I have and all my yellows have +maximum life, do I just need to get some with more? Or ditch a unique?

You have life on your pieces, but it's low. Life rolls really high on some of these slots. Ideally you want 90+ life and resists on a rare ring, 90+ on a rare neck, 110+ on a belt, 90+ on head/boots/hands. You've either got uniques or really low life rolls in each of these spots. Crafted life lags behind what gear can naturally roll, so it's not really going to keep up.

Using uniques is fine, but each one is an opportunity cost tradeoff -- you weigh what the unique is giving you vs. what you'd get from a good rare. The Magnate is a particularly bad offender here; for the cost of your belt slot (which can get you a ton of resistances and life) you're getting lovely resistances, barely any life, and some cool but relatively minor perks. Personally I'd keep the Devoto's, ditch the Magnate, and start replacing your rares with better life rolls.

Here's a quick sample search for affordable rings with at least 90 life and at least 80 total resists. If your budget is real tight, you can drop those thresholds just a little and find big upgrades for dirt cheap. Same deal with the belts, but you actually push the threshold higher -- you can get 110+ health and 90 total resists for fairly cheap on a belt.

Once you start stacking up more flat life, your Belly will have a much more noticeable effect.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

nerox posted:

The other day I gave away all my stuff thinking I was done with the league and going to play the new xcom expansion. I couldn't get into xcom and the siren song of PoE is calling me back. Since I am basically starting over, I am going to level up a Dark pact dude that people seem to enjoy this league. I am looking at the forums and seeing a lot of different builds, can anyone recommend me the best one to do?

I can't speak for other DP builds but Dark Pact totems is real, real fun and the damage is sick. It's basically Shockwave Totem, only actually good instead of terrible.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

McFrugal posted:

I'm not sure I'd call that affordable... There's one 3c ring(which was probably already bought as I type this) and then it's a 15c and then everything else is 40-50c. This is because 90 life on a ring is actually pretty difficult! Tier 1 life caps out at 79 so you need it to be coral or have a large strength bonus or both.
There were several options there for 11-15c when I ran that search. It'll likely fill back up in US primetime, it's not exactly a super restrictive search.

Also 15c seems pretty reasonable to me for a solid upgrade, and I'm not a richie rich trade baron. Like I said, move the thresholds down slightly if 15c is out of your budget and you've still got good pieces for ~5c that will last a while.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

Do people generally do the Chaos/Regal recipes (full gear set)? I usually have one set of each on the go with jewelry really being the only thing that bottle necks the process. It's not a huge currency source, but I have been able to generate 15 or so of both Chaos and Regals over a couple of days mapping. I'm just wondering if I waste more time than it's worth pulling them together and selling than I would gain if I just ignored them altogether and kept mapping.

I do it early in the league, but find it's not worth it by the time I'm in high yellows/low reds.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Chaos recipe is actually worse early league, as there is high demand for okayish rares.

I only do it with IDed worthless rares, but that makes the returns even sadder. It's really probably never worth it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Dennis McClaren posted:

This is what I put together for my Occultist build.

http://www.pathofexile.com/fullscre...QdCenpwu_wVfg==

I'm lv48 and running contagion/ED. I just want to focus on ES/chaos/curse towards the future.

Can I get a critique of my build and what might need to be fixed?

You spend a ton of points on mana regen, mana cost, and mana pool -- ED isn't that hard to run with just a couple pieces of mana regen gear and a low level clarity. I don't understand why you're stretching all the way down into Marauder just for Battle Rouse and nothing else.

If you're going ES, Vile Bastion is a massive defensive benefit.

I can't tell what you're doing defensively. You barely have any life, but you're going out of your way to take life nodes. You don't have enough ES for an ES build. I'd guess you're be going hybrid, but you're taking the low life nodes. If you don't have a shav's and arent going low life, you don't need Arcane Vision and Pain Attunement. If you are, you don't need a bunch of life nodes.

You're spending a lot of points on stun resist, I'd rather get that from Brine King/gear/enchants.

You're skipping right past a bunch of convenient jewel nodes.

I would highly recommend following a ED build for your first dude -- following a build seems boring when you're new but by doing it and seeing what works you'll be better suited to make your own builds in the future. This tree you've posted is not very good, I'm sorry to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I refuse to watch this video, but it probably contains answers to the shield/ancient orb question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKx0O3GxmHc