Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
Recreating OP with more info with the blessing of Cup Runneth Over.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/505460/Foxhole

Foxhole is advertised as a massively multiplayer online game, in which you fight for territory and resources from a pretty 3D topdown perspective. It's not an mmo like most would think, as each server/instance is maxed at 100 or 120 players. Which is more than enough. Every thing that players do will affect the outcome of the fight: checkpoints, FOBs, and the overall battle, will be decided by the combined effort, or lack of, between players on your team. Foxhole is set in an alternative universe and is not intended to be a WWI or WWII simulator or have anything to do with either other than relative tech of the era.

:siren::siren:This is an early-access title. It looks promising and is fun as all hell, but don't forget, early access:siren::siren:

Factions
There are two factions, with the only differences being the color of their uniforms, their logo, and what their tanks look like. They are:

Logistics
Do you like clicker games? It isn't that bad, really. But there's a lot of clicking. If you like to do logistics things, such as gathering resources and ordering supplies, running materials, ammo, and weapons to besieged outposts, or just want to ferry troops to the front line, you are more than welcome to do that. Every fight needs people like you.

There are five raw resources that are critical to the war effort: fuel, components, scrap, sulfur, and tech parts.

Fuel is the only resource that does not have to be refined/manufactured; every vehicle requires fuel, some burn it at much higher rates than others.
Scrap is the most valuable because so much relies on it. Scrap can be taken to a manufacture plant to be turned into basic materials or bmats. Bmats are used for construction of foxholes, pillboxes, and other structures, as well as the necessary material to make weapons and ammo for your team. Most importantly, bmats can be used to create soldier supplies or just supplies. Supplies are what allows teammates to spawn on outposts, bunkers, and townhalls so you are not forced to spawn at your team HQ across the map.
Components can be turned into refined materials or rmats. Refined materials are needed to make higher tech weapons and vehicles, and required to upgade structures.
Sulfur can be turned into explosive materials or emats, which are necessary to make things that go boom. Satchels, artillery rounds, tank shells, RPG shells.
Tech parts can be gathered while collecting scrap or components. You have a chance with every hit to gain one. Tech parts can be submitted to the weapons factory, vehicle factory, and workshops, to increase tech. It takes a lot of tech to get the upgrades.

Here's a small cheatsheet with some quick basics and tips:

Structures and fortifications
You will have dedicated builders, if you're not one of them. Some structures that can be built:
  • Sandbags
  • Foxholes
  • Pillboxes
  • AT Cannons
  • Howitzer
  • Fortified Outposts
  • Bunkers
  • Walls, gates and Bunkers atop upgraded walls
  • Pop-up pillboxes
  • Barbed wire
  • Tunnel networks important!
And some others. You can play simcity to your hearts desire, and they are insanely effective if done properly. Tunnel networks that connect from HQ to things such as pillboxes and bunkers, will supply those buildings with AI that will help you from those positions. Always build tunnel networks, which have a range of 30 meters.

Vehicles
Quick list of the vehicles, there aren't many currently:
  • Supply/transport truck
  • Motorcycle with sidecar
  • Halftrack
  • Light Tank
  • Construction Vehicle
  • Field MG
  • Artillery
All but the man-powered HMG and artillery carts require fuel. All require their ammo be created and supplied into the inventory of the vehicle. You can't just build a tank, throw in gas and roll out. You will need solid logistics to properly arm it with tank shells. Halftracks use 12.7mm ammo. Mounted HMG uses 14.5mm ammo.
:siren:If you're running in the road and you hear a horn, move! You will not believe how frequently players are run over. Do NOT sit in the middle of the road in towns, YIELD TO THE VEHICLES

Campaign vs Server
There are two ways you can play. You can opt to either hop into a server you select, and when one team captures the entire map they win and the game resets, or you can opt to join the campaign, which is all maps connected that can be captured or lost. First side to capture the entire campaign map (all six maps) wins the campaign. This is the campaign map, as well as all six maps of the game:

Ranks and Level
So far I don't believe level really does anything. Rank so far allows you to create a squad once you hit Corporal. You can gain Rank quickest by being Commended by other players. You can also be Reprimanded by other players, which hurts regarding Rank.

Voice comms
There is ingame VOIP which is pretty great. Sometimes you'll hear people garbled but it clears up. You can also hear the enemy if close enough, which gives you the opportunity to hear them making GBS threads their pants as your light tank rolls up on their unguarded logistics squad farming for scrap. Push T by default to use ingame VOIP.

Alternatively, for goon-coordinated shenanigans:
CTS Mumble
Discord
Discord2

Other poo poo
Community wiki
Tutorial video! 5 minutes of your time to help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGbRvNZ__34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMy6REQe3Q

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
come hang out in the discord and click metal with goons

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
I'm pretty sure linking the discord is good enough without pleading for people to join you. But you do you, both have good numbers of players from the looks of it. It's also better there's one central discord rather than having 10+ splinter groups, so I'd prefer we only have that one in the thread instead of additional being posted. But that's just me, even if I don't use discord.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

It's a good-rear end game, boys. Worth 20 bucks EZPZ and its just in alpha.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
This does look dope. It reminds me of WWII Online when it was new. The view looks pretty zoomed in though. I wonder if you can adjust that or if certain units have more line of sight and thats where communication comes into play?

E: Ha! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGbRvNZ__34&t=433s

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 31, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can get binoculars to see much further, and be a spotter/scout.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Was really looking forward to this, bought it as soon as I saw it was available but ended up refunding it after an hour.

It's a solid game but you really need a group to play with and a few hours at a time to dedicate to it. If you're a lone wolf or someone who has limited stretches of time to play it doesn't really work. You'll end up just playing the same role over and over and never get to play with the cools toys on your own, you'll be a riflemen or supply gatherer and that's about it. If you wanna lone wolf it you're better off just playing RUNNING WITH RIFLES.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
What was the name of that infantry only game on the old Sony Online network?

This sort of reminds me of that.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Vakal posted:

What was the name of that infantry only game on the old Sony Online network?

This sort of reminds me of that.

I believe it was Infantry.

:)

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Popete posted:

Was really looking forward to this, bought it as soon as I saw it was available but ended up refunding it after an hour.

It's a solid game but you really need a group to play with and a few hours at a time to dedicate to it. If you're a lone wolf or someone who has limited stretches of time to play it doesn't really work. You'll end up just playing the same role over and over and never get to play with the cools toys on your own, you'll be a riflemen or supply gatherer and that's about it. If you wanna lone wolf it you're better off just playing RUNNING WITH RIFLES.

I think this is a fairly good point if you're looking to 100% lone wolf, but not entirely accurate. You can find groups to play even if you don't have friends to join up with, and join up into pubbie squads. Surprisingly you can find decent groups of competent players if you move to the front if you want to be on the front line, or if logistics is your thing, there's always a logi squad that would be happy to take an extra hand.

If you are looking to 100% lone wolf it though, and not join anyone else, then yeah, it's hard to have fun. Teamwork makes this game, and so far, luckily, you can do it with randoms as well.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I picked this up. I look forward to clicking metals.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This game is incredibly satisfying to run logistics in. You may not fire shots at the enemy, but knowing that you're the reason your team is winning is great. You will never be more loved in your life than when you pull up to the front lines with a truck full of rifles and ammo and supplies.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This game is incredibly satisfying to run logistics in. You may not fire shots at the enemy, but knowing that you're the reason your team is winning is great. You will never be more loved in your life than when you pull up to the front lines with a truck full of rifles and ammo and supplies.

this is mental illness

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

this is mental illness: the game

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is this just running with rifles but newer?

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

It's running with rifles but with some strategy and no stupid ai, only stupid players.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

It really feels that way, but I do think it's a cool concept. The supply management is cool if you're into gathering resources and crafting for long stretches of time. It's a game that really benefits from having long stretches of time to invest and a group to play with. For instance you need at least 2 probably 3 people to work an artillery gun with someone crafting/running ammo out to your position.

The concept is cool, persistent long battles but if you're a casual player it's gonna be hard to do anything but be a rifleman or crafter/supplier. Everytime you join a server you start with nothing and either have to grab equipment someone else has made or craft your own which can take awhile. There is no individual character persistence and once a battle ends the server picks a new zone.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
This game is janky fun.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Klisejo posted:

This game is janky fun.

i'm not sure if i told you, but i recorded the grenade + rifle fire at the townhall.. it's pretty wonderful.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This game is the best, and nothing is more satisfying than getting behind enemy lines and loving with their logistics guys.

Just bring some supplies and a wrench and you can really make a mess of things.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I sure do love running over dumb players who run out in front of my truck loaded up with bmats that I'm trying to turn into soldier supplies

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
This looks interesting and fun.

I think a good goon-army name would reel me in.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Foxhole aka, Grand Theft Tank III: Truck Parking lot Edition

People just leave tanks and halftracks parked in the rear, waiting for you to steal them and turn them into funeral pyres.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 31, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
scooped this up since the sale ends on my bday why not

looks pretty fun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its fun

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Been playing next day survival but this looks more interesting.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

eonwe posted:

its fun

Playing rn and it is

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This is basically EVE Online for World War 2.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

So is the reason I'm not seeing mortars and artillery used more often is because they're not that good or because sulfur is about as common as moon dust?

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

Klisejo posted:

So is the reason I'm not seeing mortars and artillery used more often is because they're not that good or because sulfur is about as common as moon dust?

The latter. It's competing with rockets, satchels, and tank shells, and tank shells are MEGA GOLD when in a stolen properly crewed tank.

The game does show its EA problems once in awhile, but still hella awesome. I think it's making the bastard side of me come out hardcore though, dat local voip chat + bad pubbies who are still new to the game but don't give a crap.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This is a game where doing the not shooting stuff is like crazy important

W/e hanging in a truck all day tossin' shirts and tank shells in the back and smoking j's

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

I am a fightybro, but I spent like 8 hours today doing logibro for the new game server the discord goons are on; it's just too important. Too bad sometimes you just get too many ineffectual Sim Basers / logifail pubbies on the team, and a lack front liners, as we learned today...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also the grenade launcher for the bolt action rifle has like a 3 screen range it owns

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I fired this up and ran around some town for 6 minutes not knowing what to do or how to equip my pistol. Two gentlemen were discussing grenade launchers by some building I couldn't use and I also couldn't get my mic to work. Some European kid pulled up in a truck and told me to get in, which I did not.

9/10, I think I need some goon guidance tho.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Always get in the truck.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Donnerberg posted:

Always get in the truck.

I couldn't figure out how to equip a pistol - nevermind get in the truck. I may have been in some sort of safe zone, IDK. Most of the buildings were shelled out.

I'll have to play with it some more to figure out the controls and such.

Do goons typically play on a particular server? Any particular faction?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I couldn't figure out how to equip a pistol - nevermind get in the truck. I may have been in some sort of safe zone, IDK. Most of the buildings were shelled out.

I'll have to play with it some more to figure out the controls and such.

Do goons typically play on a particular server? Any particular faction?

I think we're Wardens on Dog3

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
This game looks promising, I might grab it this weekend to gently caress up with enemy logistics

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Despite my very good advice, I haven't played yet, and I have an important question.

Can you make suicide bomber trucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Donnerberg posted:

Can you make suicide bomber trucks?

This is important information and I am willing to contribute funds to a kickstarter, backerit, or similar to make it a reality.