Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I don't know if I agree. Without AI they're just emplacements and fortifications, which are also assets captured and used by either side in a land war, and AI is really just an abstraction in this case of having more soldiers to move up and man them as territory control changes.

It'd be interesting to try, but it's not immediately clear to me whether it'd be better.

I think capturing unused AI installations would be more interesting. Have it cost some amount of resources and require special tool like the wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it possible to throw smoke and run past defensive positions entirely?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Yes, but at that point you may as well bring the required resources to pop a hole in that area so that you can continue to exploit that breakthrough.

Smoke grenades aren't super expensive, but they aren't cheap either. You get 10 for 120 bmats, and using them properly you can cut through AI defenses like butter. When they're misused or wasted it's a big opportunity cost compared to how some equipment gets wasted.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 8, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've noticed that and they sure as take a long time to build.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Directions can be so confusing in the heat of the moment.

Last night I completely fumblefucked a half-track: we were taking a town and using the halftrack to guard the guys working on the townhall. I am facing north, as there had been a few contacts there earlier.

Suddenly, a bunch roll up on us from the south and WerkWerk is yelling at me to "go forward." My brain interpreted "forward" as to advance on the enemy, so I begin backing the half-track up in an effort to smush a few and get the gunner in position. "Forward" in this case meant literally drive my rear end forward to safety. It did not go well for us.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Raged posted:

How long does it take sulphur to respawn?

2 hours.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
With the coordination we have for gearing up 2+ half-tracks, do you think we should get ourselves a goon tank? If we got a tank, two half-tracks, some infantry and a supply truck following up the rear, we could easily smash our way through pretty much anything but the most intense frontline pressure.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Last night I completely fumblefucked a half-track: we were taking a town and using the halftrack to guard the guys working on the townhall. I am facing north, as there had been a few contacts there earlier.

Suddenly, a bunch roll up on us from the south and WerkWerk is yelling at me to "go forward." My brain interpreted "forward" as to advance on the enemy, so I begin backing the half-track up in an effort to smush a few and get the gunner in position. "Forward" in this case meant literally drive my rear end forward to safety. It did not go well for us.

its okay bud, dont worry about it

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

eonwe posted:

its okay bud, dont worry about it

Everything we do always seems worth it - an hour later the front line had pushed up to the town and we were blowing a hole through their walls. I came back with an HMG and mowed them while WerkWerk literally plugged the working end of a pillbox with his halftrack.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Always scream "through the breach!" and lead a charge of pubbies through a hole in the wall to accomplish nothing and get killed by AI.

It was fun at least.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is there a mod that makes this a WW2 game yet?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Uh, yeah, the mod is called Foxhole

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Uh, yeah, the mod is called Foxhole

All that's missing are the swastikas, and those will always be in our hearts.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Is there a mod that makes this a WW2 game yet?

The starting rifle is an M1 Garand, the half-track is a German SMV 250, the truck is the GMC Deuce and a half, I could go on.

As stated earlier, you must just be looking for swastika's?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Speaking of swastika's, I wish they'd change the emblem of one of the factions, as it stands now these two:

are very similar in shape, especially when viewed from far or at night it can be hard to distinguish.
I recommend changing colonial something similar to:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No guys I'm sure he plays Allies :jerkbag:

Also in game, Colonial flag is green and white, Warden flag is white and green. Look for the difference in background color.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

As stated earlier, you must just be looking for swastika's?

I can't shout antisemitism at the colonists jews Allies if I don't have swasitikas.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If people don't think I support actual nazi's for playing as the wehrmacht, then its not a real ww2 game.

Usually I just laugh at them and throw more gas grenades.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think anyone would dispute you being a Wehraboo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think anyone would dispute you being a Wehraboo

Funnily enough I'd forgotten that the WOT goons had bought me this Avatar. It was an American tank before, the fuckers.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I recommend using cardinal directions.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

anyone know the time till ai defenses power down after cutting off the tunnel network? 20 minutes?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

10 minutes unless they changed it recently.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

This game is loving ace, I had a few hours to kill the other day and decided to stealth in to enemy lines. Well I got behind the lines, killed a dude and robbed his truck, booked it out of there with my stolen goods back to our HQ.

From there I called it "ACECLOWN'S PARTY BUS" and spent 4 hours ferrying squads from the HQ to hotspots while shittalking on the mic and having a good time. That loving bus lasted 4 hours.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AceClown posted:

This game is loving ace, I had a few hours to kill the other day and decided to stealth in to enemy lines. Well I got behind the lines, killed a dude and robbed his truck, booked it out of there with my stolen goods back to our HQ.

From there I called it "ACECLOWN'S PARTY BUS" and spent 4 hours ferrying squads from the HQ to hotspots while shittalking on the mic and having a good time. That loving bus lasted 4 hours.

last night me virulence and squarb built a couple foxholes behind enemy lines and spent like 30 minutes ambushing the enemy supply trucks. We even upgraded to a gun nest with some raided rmats. only got wrecked because two of us got out of the holes at the same time to repair.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Raged posted:

How long does it take sulphur to respawn?

we've learned that if you don't fully mine the node but stop right before it disappears it respawns a lot faster

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

last night me virulence and squarb built a couple foxholes behind enemy lines and spent like 30 minutes ambushing the enemy supply trucks. We even upgraded to a gun nest with some raided rmats. only got wrecked because two of us got out of the holes at the same time to repair.

One of the most annoying things you can do if you keep catching trucks is to just keep building foxholes. Instead of repairing damaged ones, just hop into a new one and wait for some real downtime to plink at the damaged ones with your hammer.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Since the in-game has no music, I've been putting on the Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 OST in the background. I think it pairs nicely.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
FYI punching is op. It one shots full health enemies. They don't even get to bleed out. Your fist is literally as powerful as a RPG to the face.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snatch Duster posted:

FYI punching is op. It one shots full health enemies. They don't even get to bleed out. Your fist is literally as powerful as a RPG to the face.

Hahaha this really is just a better Running with Rifles

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hahaha this really is just a better Running with Rifles

when we are down to rifles and pistols, i prefer to run around punching dudes to death until I find a shotgun.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
You can punch while in a truck I wonder if you could hide a truck stay inside and bash the idiot who tries to take it

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

You can punch while in a truck I wonder if you could hide a truck stay inside and bash the idiot who tries to take it

Bushes and night is pro strat for OP punch game.

4 enemies talking with in game voip and standing around trying decide what their next move is. Gearless and fearless Warden sprints out of the bushes and KOs one man and runs back into his briar patch. Like some sort of crazed chimp.

The Colonial scum yells what the gently caress, while three more dudes unload smgs and carbine into bush. Doesn't matter, you're the predator, you've already quickly sprinted in a circle behind them, laying out another trooper while the remaining two reload.

While you sprint while serpentining to the tree line, a lucky carbine shot hits you, causing bleeding. This is it. You will die since logi haven produced bandages for the last two days. One Colonialist sprints after you into the thicket, you turn face and smack him in gob. Laying him out right before the bush that you've made your lair.

As you charge the last trooper you fall down, bleeding out. The final colonialist, a corpal, sprints over and tea bags you till you finally die 16 seconds later while calling you a human being.

This is Foxhole.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 10, 2017

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Snatch Duster posted:

Bushes and night is pro strat for OP punch game.

4 enemies talking with in game voip and standing around trying decide what their next move is. Gearless and fearless Warden sprints out of the bushes and KOs one man and runs back into his briar patch. Like some sort of crazed chimp.

The Colonial scum yells what the gently caress, while three more dudes unload smgs and carbine into bush. Doesn't matter, you're the predator, you've already quickly sprinted in a circle behind them, laying out another trooper while the remaining two reload.

While you sprint while serpentining to the tree line, a lucky carbine shot hits you, causing bleeding. This is it. You will die since logi haven produced bandages for the last two days. One Colonialist sprints after you into the thicket, you turn face and smack him in gob. Laying him out right before the bush that you've made your lair.

As you charge the last trooper you fall down, bleeding out. The final colonialist, a corpal, sprints over and tea bags you till you finally die 16 seconds later while calling you a human being.

This is Foxhole.

You spend a half hour making a truck, gathering materials, and supplying a FoB with shotguns and shells for the close urban combat going on in the nearby town. Nobody uses them or acknowledges your efforts - so you loadout with one yourself and drop three guys hiding behind a wall with one shot as they scream: "HE HAS A SHOTGUN!"

This is Foxhole.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The tech exploit is making this really unfun. It's not even a fun exploit. You just have people hit a scrap pile without moving for hours to do it.

Facing off against a team with shotguns, satchels, smoke, and rmats from sledgehammers on day 3 of a map isn't fun. It isn't fun being on the other side and having tanks when the enemy team is just getting HMGs.

I hope they do something about it soon.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Commoners posted:

The tech exploit is making this really unfun. It's not even a fun exploit. You just have people hit a scrap pile without moving for hours to do it.

Facing off against a team with shotguns, satchels, smoke, and rmats from sledgehammers on day 3 of a map isn't fun. It isn't fun being on the other side and having tanks when the enemy team is just getting HMGs.

On campaign servers moderators kick/ban players they catch that are doing it. I'm not sure if they police other ones but it is nice playing the game without that bullshit.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Commoners posted:

I haven't been explained how this works - I don't want to do it, I just want to recognize when someone is.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Game looks interesting and I'll probably check it out.

Have the devs mentioned anything about the graphics? Game looks okay, but a little plain so far. Any word if they want to liven things up a bit graphically over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Commoners posted:

Thought they stealth patched this?