Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Since we've thrown out hats in with the vaguely Franco-Germanic Wardens, I suggest looking into the Sturmtruppen comics by Italian comic artist and anarchist Bonvi for the future photoshop antics my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Cuntellectual posted:

I liked Planetside a lot back when my friends still played it, and this seems kinda like that though with two factions (and less interesting aesthetic in my opinion :shrug:). Is that a reasonable description?

It's like Company of Heroes where each soldier is an individual player. You have early game rushes, simcity builders, resource raiding, people who get dunked by combined arms, griefing pubbies with barbed wire and teammates wasting supplies building the Maginot line nowhere near the frontline.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I love the game but I gotta say there's too much of a Sim City on the current meta. It's an endless spam of Foxholes.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Tab8715 posted:

I love the game but I gotta say there's too much of a Sim City on the current meta. It's an endless spam of Foxholes.

Shoot them, then. With your guns.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Foxholes are only effective because people don't know how to deal with them and just run into them blindly. And most people go it alone, and numbers are incredibly powerful in this game.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The HMG will mow down foxholes for cheap, and if you just have one or two people shoot it with an SMG its fire rate will drop to nothing. With foxholes you can outright just run up to them and bomb them with only a little bit of death risk, the other upgraded stuff you have to suppress the AI hard enough to be able to get in and do the damage.

Unprotected defenses stand no chance against players if you do anything remotely right while fighting them, and the only time you really need to bring out a lot of resource consumption is if there are players actually protecting them.

One of the funniest equipment combos I've seen so far is a shotgun + gas mask, and a buddy with 2-3 gas grenades. You just spam the gas behind the enemy and force them to come forward into the shotgun, and anything the gas doesn't kill the shotgun does. It unfortunately doesn't work too well with a solo shotgunner because of the shotgun's long draw time.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 6, 2017

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So where are all the goons?

Are we playing on the main campaign or some random server?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I threw a gas grenade earlier and a goddamn teammates truck drove into the cloud killing everyone. Now I'm getting a message that my team kills have been recorded.

Do I need to be concerned?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tab8715 posted:

I threw a gas grenade earlier and a goddamn teammates truck drove into the cloud killing everyone. Now I'm getting a message that my team kills have been recorded.

Do I need to be concerned?

nah

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The absolute worst that can happen is that you get banned for 10 hours.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
We held Crow's Nest on Easy1 from a big rear end push. They had us down to the inner walls around the town hall and we beat them back. We started dropping mortar rounds on them and once we went through all those the goon cache of howitzer shells got brought forward by our brave logi crew and just wrecked poo poo. So much spaghetti. Pubbie logi was amazing too. Call for more mortar rounds and howitzer shells and sure as poo poo they would bust their balls and get it done. Teams of them just running into fire and getting the last wall back up while mortars suppressed the opposition.

The best part was minutes after we won everyone was out rebuilding the outer walls and getting the defence back up. Was a beautiful sight. I really don't want to ever leave the beautiful pub crew on Easy 1

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I have to say the combat in the game is well done when the whole area isn't littered with fox holes. I was defending one of the towns that we lost but I must have a taken out over two dozens by running around walls, bunkers, sandbags, etc.

My only gripe is the in-game voice adds to the whole experience and if everyone moves to Discord it won't be as fun. Hearing the enemy team scream just as shot him about to Bazooka a foxhole in our primary choke point was a memorable experience.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah, the voice communications in game makes it really cool, because it adds a layer of verisimilitude that is just a bit closer. At one point our English speaking team was against a squad of Russians, and it was amazing because you could hear their shot caller yelling out to the rest of his team, but had no idea what in particular they were doing. Every now and then an English loan word would slip and you could tell what they were generally going to do, but for the most part hearing Russians talking on your flanks when you know that's who you're fighting is an amazing experience.

I don't really have a problem with foxholes being everywhere, because a team that doesn't go full blown coward can roll through those fast if there isn't an equal number of defenders on the other side. The only time it is a major problem is if you're trying to push through a horde of foxholes and gun nests while there is an equal number of defenders as attackers, and in that case it's more often better to either catch your own defense structures up, wait for some heavier hitting equipment like RPGs, mortars, or HMGs, or to just go somewhere else. A lot of people are completely obsessed with trying to punch through the most heavily defended area, and they are most often the people who have no idea what the gently caress they are doing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Other night some teammate came flying out of the fog of war at night just screaming and running as fast as possible. Didn't have a pistol or anything just a blur

It was a brief flash but I'm p sure like 1/3 the enemy team was chasing after him idk I got murdered by 2 tanks and a halftrack but he lived.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I have done that to my teammates before. On the start of Heartlands most teams will rush the Loftmire/Barronstown vehicle factories and just hang out while making trucks. I made the mistake of poking the Barronstown vehicle factory with my rifle, and about 15 angry Warden riflemen came chasing after me. I put away my gun and started booking it away.

About ten meters later I find two teammates who were following up behind me, start yelling at them to run, run by, and I hear them start yelling and running away too. They got gunned down by the pursuing firing squad and I got away. :v:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well that sure was 8 hours of driving a truck.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
How long does it take sulphur to respawn?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Raged posted:

How long does it take sulphur to respawn?

way too long

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Raged posted:

We held Crow's Nest on Easy1 from a big rear end push. They had us down to the inner walls around the town hall and we beat them back. We started dropping mortar rounds on them and once we went through all those the goon cache of howitzer shells got brought forward by our brave logi crew and just wrecked poo poo. So much spaghetti. Pubbie logi was amazing too. Call for more mortar rounds and howitzer shells and sure as poo poo they would bust their balls and get it done. Teams of them just running into fire and getting the last wall back up while mortars suppressed the opposition.

The best part was minutes after we won everyone was out rebuilding the outer walls and getting the defence back up. Was a beautiful sight. I really don't want to ever leave the beautiful pub crew on Easy 1

We won that? Holy poo poo, they were literally driving a tank within firing range of the Town Hall. That battle was my favorite moment in this game so far, and our goon mortar crew was awesome. I'm not sure what I was hitting, but your reactions as my spotter made me happy.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

My only gripe is the in-game voice adds to the whole experience and if everyone moves to Discord it won't be as fun. Hearing the enemy team scream just as shot him about to Bazooka a foxhole in our primary choke point was a memorable experience.

See, I don't think that's a problem at all. You use the in game voice chat to talk to the people immediately around you, and Discord to talk to the rest of your squad that is often spread all over the map.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I would like to see map icons that can be placed by players to show action areas. Make it easier to identify where the fronts are at a glance. As well maybe supply markers if you're logistics, so you know what to bring too where.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
We've got a big sunday afternoon group going if anyone is looking to join us!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'll be back on later, but we as a goonsquad are very, very good. We scout a place for a FoB, supply it in short order, man up 2 HalfTracks as well as a squad of infantry and storm a lightly defended town and manage to pop the AI. Glorious.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
We played so well that we broke the map... we had a squad running that was hitting their logistics for 3 hours straight from the first 5 minutes of the map, and they never recovered. Even though the map was still an even split on towns, we had our side of the map so locked down that the other team gave up and quit. Only a few of us were running logistics, and if you coordinate it well so everyone is communicating what is needed and who is making what, that's really all you need.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arven posted:

We played so well that we broke the map... we had a squad running that was hitting their logistics for 3 hours straight from the first 5 minutes of the map, and they never recovered. Even though the map was still an even split on towns, we had our side of the map so locked down that the other team gave up and quit. Only a few of us were running logistics, and if you coordinate it well so everyone is communicating what is needed and who is making what, that's really all you need.

Glad I was part of that. Built troll tunnel networks and foxholes everywhere

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Keeping logistics stomped down is a huge thing if you can do it from the start of a map. Two people with rifles and a bush can do such an incredible amount of damage.

The biggest thing is successfully dumping the supplies of whatever trucks you break, because that is the biggest time consumption. Killing the drivers and destroying the trucks is good, but getting those supply boxes, bmats, and other stuff is where the real time is lost for the enemy logi.

My favorite thing is getting a truck full of bmats, setting up foxholes in the middle of the road, and just hanging out. If you eventually get a truck with shirts and bmats you can set up a barracks so that you can respawn and just run back to your ever-growing horde of AI-less foxholes. Even if they start killing one foxhole, you can just jump out and jump into another one.

E: There is a guy who is either trolling or legit having a total bipolar manic phase in their discord right now. He's the text equivalent of the 80s businessman with bonitis from Futurama.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 7, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Commoners posted:

Keeping logistics stomped down is a huge thing if you can do it from the start of a map. Two people with rifles and a bush can do such an incredible amount of damage.

The biggest thing is successfully dumping the supplies of whatever trucks you break, because that is the biggest time consumption. Killing the drivers and destroying the trucks is good, but getting those supply boxes, bmats, and other stuff is where the real time is lost for the enemy logi.

My favorite thing is getting a truck full of bmats, setting up foxholes in the middle of the road, and just hanging out. If you eventually get a truck with shirts and bmats you can set up a barracks so that you can respawn and just run back to your ever-growing horde of AI-less foxholes. Even if they start killing one foxhole, you can just jump out and jump into another one.

E: There is a guy who is either trolling or legit having a total bipolar manic phase in their discord right now. He's the text equivalent of the 80s businessman with bonitis from Futurama.

that guy is certified crazy

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Just bought the game, and I have to say this is exactly what I hoped running with rifles would be. Only complaint is I wish servers were bigger for bigger battles and less que time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Keegers posted:

Just bought the game, and I have to say this is exactly what I hoped running with rifles would be. Only complaint is I wish servers were bigger for bigger battles and less que time.

The FAQ says the game can scale to several hundred players.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Tab8715 posted:

I was more thinking PlanetSide size, but I don't think it's a real game breaker.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I hope it will, seeing all the queues and full servers. (Except the EU ones for some reason - which are still perfectly playable in central NA.)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lag doesn't really impact this game too much. It's nice.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Biggest impact I've seen from lag is that you can be punching someone and they won't die. Otherwise that's the only impact I've really seen.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well, I just had the bug where getting out of your truck causes it to circle around you and levitate. I was trying to get back in it when a pubbie drove by in his truck. He impacted my flying truck, but it just got stuck on his truck, clipping halfway into it. He drove on, unobstructed, and not really concerned with having another truck buried in his windshield.

I logged off the server after that.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A big flaming stink posted:

well, I just had the bug where getting out of your truck causes it to circle around you and levitate. I was trying to get back in it when a pubbie drove by in his truck. He impacted my flying truck, but it just got stuck on his truck, clipping halfway into it. He drove on, unobstructed, and not really concerned with having another truck buried in his windshield.

I logged off the server after that.

I had a great bug where every time I would get in my truck my av would go underneath it, falling through the world and die. I think it had to do something with nearby foxhole and pressing Q to get in. Maybe the game thought I went in the foxhole, which places your av underground, but instead I got "into" the truck which doesnt have a magic bottom floor to it like foxholes?

The only solution was to get in a tank and then back into my truck.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://clips.twitch.tv/ModernTangibleWolverineKAPOW

:getin:

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

I bet this is why I see so many more gun turrets being built.

Edit: Want to help bring order to disorder, as contrary as it may feel to most of us and how we like to play. Fill out this survey if you're interested.

https://goo.gl/forms/qZzhHsSQ6EDtG27D2

Trizzdog fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 8, 2017

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On Fox2 we were pushed back to our HQ, we managed to push out grab two towns then pushed again and grabbed 3 more towns with 45 minutes of taking the last two villages. We just acquired The Foundry and now the Colonialists are left with their HQ.

Their mistake was leaving all of our offline AI defense network which was brought back online each time we took a townhall.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

On Fox2 we were pushed back to our HQ, we managed to push out grab two towns then pushed again and grabbed 3 more towns with 45 minutes of taking the last two villages. We just acquired The Foundry and now the Colonialists are left with their HQ.

Their mistake was leaving all of our offline AI defense network which was brought back online each time we took a townhall.

As funny as this is, stuff should really decay if it isn't connected to a tunnel network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

Arven posted:

As funny as this is, stuff should really decay if it isn't connected to a tunnel network.

I don't know if I agree. Without AI they're just emplacements and fortifications, which are also assets captured and used by either side in a land war, and AI is really just an abstraction in this case of having more soldiers to move up and man them as territory control changes.

It'd be interesting to try, but it's not immediately clear to me whether it'd be better.