Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Calax posted:

RE:Ghosts Honestly, the game plays better if you think about it as the player characters are the Bad Guys. Why? Well all that crazy poo poo that the SDF are doing that makes Kurig laugh? The PC, and his brother are basically raised in that sort of military fetishistic environment, with their dad being the type of guy who tells bedtime stories about how AWESOME Spec Ops are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBhdRfJizkc

Fukkin :lol:

Remember that the SDF military's battlecry is "Death is no disgrace" The game never really expounds on their belief system but they're super loving eager to die for people so obsessed with shoring up their manpower. They're an evil caricature that exists so you can oppose it.

Which is why it's good that they go a long way to flesh out the crewmates aboard the Retribution. There's a lot of personal backstory in the logs and incidental chatter you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
That SMG is the Alternator, Lazyfire. Not the Annihilator. It's because it has two barrels that it alternates firing between. :v:

Also it's nice to see Commander Ivanova on board a space warship again. :allears:

So far I honestly don't see why the CoD fanboys hate IW aside from the fact that it actually tried to be different from previous CoDs. Which, honestly, might be part of the problem now that I think about it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Yeah, the more info IW provides in-game, the more apparent the how little actual thought was given to the backstory for it to make sense.

Namely, how a planet of 7-billion people is apparently full of retards not pressing any sort of numerical advantage against a far less populous common enemy.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

That's not really a good example. IIRC they aren't in open war until after the first level, instead it's all cloak and dagger behind the veil of a treaty. And no matter how good you think we are, no civilization is going to restructure their entire industrial base into military and jump start drafting within days of going to war like this (where they would actually see a lot more people and material on the front line at least)

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I was one of the unfortunate ones who picked up Infinite Warfare instead of TF 2. I am a big fan of David Drake's Military SF work, and the game, at first glance, reminded me of his work.

Upon actually PLAYING it and seeing the story, however, it... lacks any nuance or the sorts of believable individuals one might find in his work, while Titanfall is the kind of mecha anime craziness I love in shooter game form.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The viewer may have noticed that the Flatline got its name because even a corpse can use it well :v:

Seriously though, I adore what they did with the singleplayer, especially some tech things that we haven't seen yet. I don't think I ever got tired of how an area looks in this game, seems to switch just at the right time.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nalesh posted:

Seriously though, I adore what they did with the singleplayer, especially some tech things that we haven't seen yet. I don't think I ever got tired of how an area looks in this game, seems to switch just at the right time.

Yeah, one thing that'll become apparent as TF2 goes on is that the game is constantly changing what you're doing at just the right pace to keep you from getting bored. It's really well-designed.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Sometimes you see campaigns for games like this where you can tell the people working on it was just chasing a paycheck, instead, tf2's really feels like a passion project of the team.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I bought Infinite Warfare because Space COD sounded fun- future guns! dogfights! spaceship pals! I ended up hating it for its retrograde gunplay and moronic storyline.

I mean, the game starts with the main baddie ('Kotch', lol) murdering one of his own men to make a rhetorical point to someone he kills 30 seconds later. Almost the Earth's entire fleet- all of, like, 20 ships- is wiped out because a single enemy agent pushed the Friendly Fire: Off? button. The baddies are armed with very thinly disguised AK-47s, which would be understandable if this was an actual lovely B-movie, but is kinda weird in a videogame. The developers even called their Space NATO group SATO ffs.

It does still come up with some cool setpieces though. The space battle in this episode looked amazing, and I remember the next mission having a spectacular start.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
When Lazyfire first found that field hospital I thought the soldiers were a bunch of robots, and once I realized that it was actually a field hospital for huamns I was disappointed because I really wanted to see a robot hospital.

Inferior posted:

The developers even called their Space NATO group SATO ffs.

What does the 'A' even stand for? Is it the Space Atlantic Treaty Organization?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

White Coke posted:

When Lazyfire first found that field hospital I thought the soldiers were a bunch of robots, and once I realized that it was actually a field hospital for huamns I was disappointed because I really wanted to see a robot hospital.

What does the 'A' even stand for? Is it the Space Atlantic Treaty Organization?

Solar Associated Treaty Organization

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Can't wait until GATO.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Inferior posted:

It does still come up with some cool setpieces though. The space battle in this episode looked amazing, and I remember the next mission having a spectacular start.

Yeah, much as I'm not at all excited by what IW has shown so far, they do know how to make a good spectacle. I appreciate that, even if the rest of it falls short.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Psion posted:

Yeah, much as I'm not at all excited by what IW has shown so far, they do know how to make a good spectacle. I appreciate that, even if the rest of it falls short.

Maybe I'm just a big space nerd and all but the shot of all those ships going vertical and boosting for space gave me goosebumps a little.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Polaron posted:

Maybe I'm just a big space nerd and all but the shot of all those ships going vertical and boosting for space gave me goosebumps a little.
That sequence was really nice, between the ships forming up, the fighters deploying the boosters they have for this maneuver and the music selection.
Even with the issues it had with the previous gameplay and story, that was good.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 7, 2017

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
You loving glorious maniac you. Titanfall 2 was EASILY the best title I picked up last year, and it's just such frenetic fun that I can't rightfully put it down. In fact, I have to admit you beat me to the punch on this one. All the same, I would happily join you for some multiplayer shenanigans, or Frontier Defense if you plan on showing that off. Bit of confusion here, though; you say you're LPing two games at once here, but I'm only seeing one? :v:

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 7, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Pythonicus posted:

it of confusion here, though; you say you're LPing two games at once here, but I'm only seeing one? :v:

haha ouch

If anyone wants to know random stuff about Titanfall 1 just post, I'd be more than happy to talk about it. Especially optimal pubbie-crushing strategies for getting MVPs to hit gen 10. :getin:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pythonicus posted:

You loving glorious maniac you. Titanfall 2 was EASILY the best title I picked up last year, and it's just such frenetic fun that I can't rightfully put it down. In fact, I have to admit you beat me to the punch on this one. All the same, I would happily join you for some multiplayer shenanigans, or Frontier Defense if you plan on showing that off. Bit of confusion here, though; you say you're LPing two games at once here, but I'm only seeing one? :v:

I'd like to do a Frontier Defense game or two for the thread, I think we have enough people to group up at some point before the end of the LP. Same thing with regular multiplayer. If other people carry me maybe I can get a win for once.

Oh, and if you have EA Access TF2 is part of the vault collection and you should play it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Today's video covers quite a bit. We get our first boss fight and introduced to the Scorch loadout.

A note about the boss fights in this game: I don't know if I really like the format or not. I mean, there's nothing wrong with facing off against a more powerful Titan of a variety we've fought before and a few more of the chump class Titans at once. I think that's a pretty acceptable format, especially because the boss Titans will often do special techniques that the grunt Titans won't use and so you get a bit of variety in the fight instead of just facing a bullet spongier version of a think you've killed a ton of. The arenas are often pretty great as well with Kane's being a pretty simplistic layout so you can get cover when you need it.

My major issue with the boss fights in this game is that there's almost no run-up to them in most cases. Yeah, you get taunted by the boss a few times and they get pretty cool intros, but for the most part they are just obstacles to progress that shoot back. None of them have much motivation for fighting you outside of they get paid to fight and taking out Kane doesn't seem to impact the rest of the story or how the other mercenary bosses treat you. The boss characters aren't exactly memorable either, like I said they may taunt you or command local forces to do stuff to try to take you out, but you never get a sense they are some major threat or create a sense of animosity through their actions. This makes it feel like the boss fights were sort of Human Revolutioned into the game after most of development was done because the producers decided that there needed to be boss fights.

The Scorch Titan loadout was one of my favorites in multiplayer for a time, but I stopped using it before it (recently) got a dash. Yes, the big heavy Titan that shoots firebombs couldn't dash until recently. In theory they shouldn't need to dash, the Scorch is all about damage over time and area denial. You want to lay down a bunch of napalm and traps and absorb incoming bullets with the flame shield, Scorch isn't built to go toe to toe with a Tone or Ronin. Scorch is great at destroying pilots if you get used to the speed and trajectory of his projectiles, though. Even putting a bomb in front of where a pilot is going instead of getting them with a direct hit will sometimes set them on fire long enough that they just die. In single player Scorch is probably one of my least favorite Titan classes because he's just not equipped for fighting a mix of Titans and infantry at the same time due to his single-shot-before-reloading weapon and the slow speed of the projectile not meshing well with the AI pilot's tendency to move around a ton. I chalk this up to level design/balance more than to Scorch as a Titan. There are places in the game where he would be a great asset, I just never find much of a reason to switch to that loadout as most of what you get after Scorch outclasses him.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Scorch murders Ronin if they're stupid enough to try to hit you with their sword because flame shield does tremendous amounts of damage and Ronin has no health. You will kill him before he's able to do much damage to you, especially if you've already set the ground on fire beforehand (and you should always be setting the ground around Titans on fire).

Scorch is my boy, especially in Frontier Defense. There are certain maps where he's basically a walking target (Homestead springs to mind) but anywhere with a relatively enclosed space will turn into an absolute firestorm with a Scorch around.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Having a walking tank that can think for itself and also has a tendency to wander off while the pilot is out punching people to death seems like it would be a little unhelpful (for just the reason we saw). I guess it's nice that it tries to keep up with you and also provides fire support though.

I'm curious as to what purpose this weird tree factory we're running around in serves though.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
For IW, I do think its a neat touch that they're trying to show off the whole multinational aspect of the SATO forces without being super in your face about it. Staff Sargent is a Brit, your main dude is an American and Salter is from Lebonon judging by the flag on her shoulder. Still trying to place Gator, the name screams Louisiana, but the accent seems kind of Eastern Europeanish.

Maybe in the far space future, Earth Russia is the new deep south (all those swamps out in the Tula region!)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

For IW, I do think its a neat touch that they're trying to show off the whole multinational aspect of the SATO forces without being super in your face about it. Staff Sargent is a Brit, your main dude is an American and Salter is from Lebonon judging by the flag on her shoulder. Still trying to place Gator, the name screams Louisiana, but the accent seems kind of Eastern Europeanish.

Maybe in the far space future, Earth Russia is the new deep south (all those swamps out in the Tula region!)

:ssh: His nickname is Gator because he's your NaviGator. And his voice actor is Iranian.

His last name is actually of African Origin though so :shrug:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

You can really tell that you're not used to using a tone :v:

Also are you gonna do a bonus video showing the melee finishers on the bosses?

Since I main tone and scorch, here's a small writeup on them. Might do the rest as we see em, except Brute since it's a singleplayer one that's a hybrid of other titans.

Tone, the goddess of multiplayer.

Its main cannon is the Tracker Cannon which has a small amount of autoaim, and a small aoe. Partly locks on when you hit an enemy(If two titans are close you can even lock on multiple enemies in one shot).

When you get 3 lock-on's on an enemy, you can use the Tracker Rockets, the more enemies you have locked on to, the more missiles it fires. This gets quite hilarious when you've locked onto 4-5 enemies. A good trick to using this is to aim up before firing, this allows the missiles to clear pretty much any cover between you and your enemy.

The Particle Wall, This thing is simply amazing. It's deployable cover that can only be shot through on one side, if your enemy doesn't flank you, you will win every time. One small thing about it though, notice how I said it can only be shot through from one side, this is universal, it doesn't care if it's a friend or foe. So please don't use it to block friendly fire, or give cover to enemies.

Something Lazyfire didn't really use, which is the key to tone, is the Sonar Lock. This lovely ability reveals all enemies in a decent sized area, and establishes one partial lock on anything mechanical. This is what turns Tone from amazing, to a goddess, especially in multiplayer where there's an upgrade that lets you get two locks with it.

And last but not very much not least, the Itano Circu- I mean the Salvo Core. This is, to my knowledge, the highest damage attack in the game. It follows your mouse, so like with the tracker rockets, something a lot of tone mains do is they aim straight up while firing it, then move out of cover and aim at an enemy, effectively using it as an artillery strike.

Scorch
, "What war crimes?"

Oh boy, this thing has so much tech that isn't explained well.

Its main cannon is a Thermite Launcher. It does what it says on the tin, shoots a big blob of thermite that sticks to the first thing it hits, and burns for a few seconds. A key thing about the thermite that Scorch uses, it hurts both enemies, and you, so don't walk over your own thermite. This isn't a big deal for the main weapon, but it is a bit of a problem for the:

Firewall, launches a line of thermite ahead of you, which is deadly in confined areas where you can only really go back or forwards. Kills humanoids in about a second, while doing high damage to any mechs stupid enough to stand in it(Including you).

Now those two are fine and dandy if the enemy is standing out in the open, but what do you do when they're in cover, or in the case of infantry, hiding inside buildings? This is the bread and butter of the Scorch, the Incendiary Trap, what Lazyfire mistakenly called a proximity bomb. It's a grenade that puts out a flammable gas in a decently sized area, choking any humanoids caught in it. But that's not the main use of it, if anyone hits it with anything flammable(Thermite Cannon, the Firewall, the Fire Shield, Firestars, etc), it detonates, turning it into a cloud of fire, doing a metric fuckton of damage to anything standing in it.

While those things are amazing, my favourite thing to use in multiplayer is the Fire Shield, it not only eats up any projectiles that hits it, it also does A LOT of damage if you use it on enemy titans. With the right multiplayer upgrades it becomes a melee weapon rivaling the katana using titan we saw in the intro. I cannot give it enough praise.

Scorch is the queen of confined areas, and nothing shows this better than the Flame Core, Sends forward an about 3-4 titan wide wall of flame that just utterly wrecks anything in its path, being second in damage only to the Salvo Core, but being able to do it to several titans instead of just one. This and the Fire Shield is why you never want to go into melee with a Scorch unless you're feeling really cocky.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 8, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Nalesh posted:

You can really tell that you're not used to using a tone :v:
One thing that stood out to me was the comment that "you don't see people use (the particle wall) often online" because it sounds like Lazyfire lucked out and is regularly matchmade with players that don't know how powerful (and annoying) a Reinforced Particle Wall is: almost all Tone kits are good but that one is one of the best picks.

As for the spoiler if he doesn't I volounteer myself to film them in his stead.
If it wasn't obvious by now I am a massive fan of this game :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Ah poo poo I forgot to write about the wall, knew I forgot something :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

radintorov posted:

One thing that stood out to me was the comment that "you don't see people use (the particle wall) often online" because it sounds like Lazyfire lucked out and is regularly matchmade with players that don't know how powerful (and annoying) a Reinforced Particle Wall is: almost all Tone kits are good but that one is one of the best picks.

As for the spoiler if he doesn't I volounteer myself to film them in his stead.
If it wasn't obvious by now I am a massive fan of this game :v:

I absolutely suck at Titan combat in this game and often end up getting chumped in online games in about ten seconds, so my Titan on Titan meta game knowledge is kind of bad. That would explain the reason I never see a particle shield or forget to use abilities.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

I absolutely suck at Titan combat in this game and often end up getting chumped in online games in about ten seconds, so my Titan on Titan meta game knowledge is kind of bad. That would explain the reason I never see a particle shield or forget to use abilities.

No idea if they nerfed it or not yet, but just go the suicide ronin build and enjoy life :v: (Maybe grab the battery upgrade too so you can toss your teammates shields)

But yeah, don't be afraid to use abilities in your titan, they all have pretty low cooldowns so doesn't really matter if you miss one.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Having never played it, the videos make me fall in love with TF2 - you really see the people who developed it loved the game to pieces.

Call of Duty: IW desperately tries to make the hegemonic power the player is fighting for an innocent victim - which it does by painting its adversaries as the most illogical, super-duper evil and threatening baddies I've seen in quite a while.

I've read that many of the military films and movies released since 2001 consciously or unconsciously recreate the narrative of Pearl Harbor in order to call back the most prominent moment in which the US was actually 'threatened' (althoug Japan never stood a chance from a resource standpoint) and fought 'the good fight' - instead of stomping around in other parts of the world, blowing up wedding parties with drones (à la evil movie empire).
IW is really shameless in trying to re-create the Pearl Harbor experience - and that really speaks volumes about the imagination of its team.

Edit: Even Halo from 2001 mentioned that the UNSC was acting in a very problematic way towards rebellious border colonies (using Master Chief to kill off insurgents) before they were attacked by the Convenant and went into full heroic defense mode.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 9, 2017

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SavageGentleman posted:

Having never played it, the videos make me fall in love with TF2 - you really see the people who developed it loved the game to pieces.

Call of Duty: IW desperately tries to make the hegemonic power the player is fighting for an innocent victim - which it does by painting its adversaries as the most illogical, super-duper evil and threatening baddies I've seen in quite a while.

I've read that many of the military films and movies released since 2001 consciously or unconsciously recreate the narrative of Pearl Harbor in order to call back the most prominent moment in which the US was actually 'threatened' (althoug Japan never stood a chance from a resource standpoint) and fought 'the good fight' - instead of stomping around in other parts of the world, blowing up wedding parties with drones (à la evil movie empire).
IW is really shameless in trying to re-create the Pearl Harbor experience - and that really speaks volumes about the imagination of its team.

Edit: Even Halo from 2001 mentioned that the UNSC was acting in a very problematic way towards rebellious border colonies (using Master Chief to kill off insurgents) before they were attacked by the Convenant and went into full heroic defense mode.

I don't think they strictly call back to it unless it's the US specific military. Advanced Warfare and the Blops trio tend not to vie for it, instead keeping the scope MUCH lower.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only problem I have with recreating the narrative of Pearl Harbor in games is when it's background rather than in the forefront. Because sticking your cast in the middle of that is actually a pretty thrilling and chaotic experience and if you're going for that it's good.

Also unlike D-Day it hasn't been done to death :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you don't remember the plot to Airplane! 2 it was the same as the first one but on the moon. I just saved you an hour and 20 minutes of your life, you are welcome.

When Ghosts came out a lot of people (myself included) mocked Infinity Ward for reusing a whole segment of animations from Modern Warfare 2. I think people have come around and started saying it wasn't supposed to be a ripoff or IW cheaping out on animations but a tribute to MW2. The reason I mention this is because the lunar terminal from this level has segments heavily based on the airport terminal from the No Russian mission in MW2 and the textures and some assets from this level were used to make Infinite Warfare's version of the MW2 multiplayer map Terminal. I don't know if its a reverence for the past or what, but I have to imagine that reusing designs from 2009 in a 2017 game is probably not a big timesaver these days and so I can't fault the developers too hard for essentially reskinning segments of a level from a previous game.

That isn't to say that this is just a big retexture job or anything like that. The lunar terminal is very different from No Russian for like 90% of the level. It just happens to be the part where you are on the tarmac early in the mission immediately evokes the sense of deja vu and it sort of carries for a while, or at least it did for me. Overall I like this mission. You start off with some good old CoD bombast and then get a bit of training on using your tac rig. One thing I have to point out about the rig in this game is that outside of a couple parts of the game (particularly in this level with the wall run segment) you never need to make use of it. Like, it's only there for players who want to reach stuff or try to use it. Unlike TF2 where jumping around like an rear end in a top hat is a great way to avoid getting shot, the AI in IW will target you as soon as you step out of cover (like in all CoD games) so you are often left exchanging shots from behind a box. TF2 makes sure you can get out and move by giving you constant access to the cloaking device when you are on foot, IW doesn't have an equivalent in single player and that combined with levels that aren't really built to take advantage of the increased mobility of the player limit your options for many fights in the game.

At some point I have to do a video comparing and contrasting the gameplay in both titles and how the increased mobility effects both of them and how it is used. You really do see more Advanced Movement system stuff in the multiplayer for IW, but it isn't integrated to the core of the game the way TF2's movement system is, which makes IW's AM system feel a bit clunkier and more...ancillary? I think that's the word I wanted there.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

[At some point I have to do a video comparing and contrasting the gameplay in both titles and how the increased mobility effects both of them and how it is used. You really do see more Advanced Movement system stuff in the multiplayer for IW, but it isn't integrated to the core of the game the way TF2's movement system is, which makes IW's AM system feel a bit clunkier and more...ancillary? I think that's the word I wanted there.
Having played Titanfall 2 (especially a few specific sections) the limited wall-running and jump jet fuel really stood out in this video, and so did the really limited places where you could use it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I can see they were trying to invoke some of the shock value from MW2's plot with the dead civilians they're throwing all over the place, but at least this time they didn't have you running around shooting everyone like a psychopath. I guess and airport and a spaceport are kinda the same but I didn't really get a sense that this was a retread but most of the level was quite dark...

No, what perplexed me more was the airlock that engaged gravity when it pressurized and why our tac rig thing didn't help us after the explosive decompression in the corridor.

Also, in honour of this episode's opening action scene everyone should watch this video, just in from Russia. (it's LiveLeak but work safe)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

At some point I have to do a video comparing and contrasting the gameplay in both titles and how the increased mobility effects both of them and how it is used. You really do see more Advanced Movement system stuff in the multiplayer for IW, but it isn't integrated to the core of the game the way TF2's movement system is, which makes IW's AM system feel a bit clunkier and more...ancillary? I think that's the word I wanted there.

The advanced movement system always struck me as a "our publishers saw the TF2 press release trailer and demanded we put this in, so we're doing so under protest" thing. There's maybe one level where the jetpack actually feels like an integral and helpful part of gameplay and it's during a stealth section, because it lets you gently caress around with alternate paths and sight lines. Otherwise it's just an extra jump to help you get onto ledges(which is absolutely welcome, don't get me wrong), and occasionally there will be a wall you're forced to grind, and in half of the levels it's either not needed or completely not applicable.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just watching IW, it's kind of a shock to see your AI teammates just shrug off frag grenades and completely break your sense of immersion. It's been a while since I played a game where they'd give you really dumb AI teammates.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Grav seems a bit high for the moon, and driving at those speeds is suicidal as hell, for example the lunar rover was designed to have a top speed of 8mph, though Cernan being Cernan, got it to 11.2 mph :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Argas posted:

Just watching IW, it's kind of a shock to see your AI teammates just shrug off frag grenades and completely break your sense of immersion. It's been a while since I played a game where they'd give you really dumb AI teammates.

that's been a thing in COD since COD1, though

like invincible named teammates just eating every grenade ever. And in old CODs oh man did the AI love to throw even more grenades than they do now.

e: what are IW's equivalents of the Chicom SMG and the Judge pistol? You know why I'm asking :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 10, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Psion posted:

that's been a thing in COD since COD1, though

like invincible named teammates just eating every grenade ever. And in old CODs oh man did the AI love to throw even more grenades than they do now.

e: what are IW's equivalents of the Chicom SMG and the Judge pistol? You know why I'm asking :v:

It has, it's just been so long since I've played a game that just likes to surround you with totally invincible named teammates that could survive a death star. I just thought the industry would've tried something different by now. (They did, it's called Titanfall 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kurieg posted:

The advanced movement system always struck me as a "our publishers saw the TF2 press release trailer and demanded we put this in, so we're doing so under protest" thing. There's maybe one level where the jetpack actually feels like an integral and helpful part of gameplay and it's during a stealth section, because it lets you gently caress around with alternate paths and sight lines. Otherwise it's just an extra jump to help you get onto ledges(which is absolutely welcome, don't get me wrong), and occasionally there will be a wall you're forced to grind, and in half of the levels it's either not needed or completely not applicable.

How common is advanced movement in multiplayer? It wouldn't be the first time something from multiplayer fell flat in a single player campaign.

• Locked thread