Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Why does a laser cannon have travel time?! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Polaron posted:

Why does a laser cannon have travel time?! :psyduck:

Particle projection rather than actual lasers.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Titanfall 2 is back, baby.

If I had to pick my favorite gimmick in the game it has to be the one we'll see in this video and the next. Changing out your cloak for a different device with some different gameplay and setting implications is a really neat idea that Respawn didn't do for the rest of the game. I thought that was interesting because they do end up giving you some other devices through the campaign (or at least one more item we see in the next mission), but other stuff never wholesale replaces your established abilities like this does. The thing about the time hopper device is that it is something of a cloak as enemies in one timeline lose track of you when you jump to and from the other one, but because you have enemies in both areas looking for you it is difficult to emergency activate the hopper and get a moment to collect yourself and line up your next moves the way you can with the cloak equipped. The real fun with the hopper are the temporal puzzles that they put together around it. You can't just go around the laser wall, you have to hop timelines, jump between walls and slide through opening that are there in one setting and blocked in the other. It's really a great way to blend a bit more through into the balls to the wall action shooter this game is most of the time. Granted, I think I've played variations of the "jump between the past/shadow world and present/real world to progress" a solid dozen times through the years, but not in a FPS that I can remember. Titanfall 2, between the double jump, wall running and slides all having very defined heights and duration almost reminds me of a side scroller at times and I think this level sort of cements that.

Oh, and I know we've seen Titan pilots outside of the Titans with and without helmets. I have no idea what I was trying to convey when talking about Anderson's model.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
One nice thing about this gimmick compared to other games is that it allows the player to basically be Nightcrawler from the opening sequence of X-Men 2: when pulled off, the player can phase through past and present extremely smoothly while murdering IMC soldiers even more easily than normal. Still, as seen in the video, both times have enemies around.
There's a playthrough of this mission by the game developers themselves, who talk about how it came to be and how it works, which I'll link when Lazyfire is completely done with this level; the short of it is that they have indeed made a copy of the map that is duplicated on the X and Y axis but is on a different Z-axis, so that when the player "time jumps" they are actually teleported either directly up or down so that they end up in the same location and the AI in the other time is frozen. It's a really clever implementation that took a fair amount of effort to have it work so flawlessly and is one of the many reasons this game gets praised so much.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What's the deal with the reload animation on the Mastiff? What does the P.C. slot in on the upper right-hand side before spotting shells into the underside?

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

radintorov posted:

One nice thing about this gimmick compared to other games is that it allows the player to basically be Nightcrawler from the opening sequence of X-Men 2: when pulled off, the player can phase through past and present extremely smoothly while murdering IMC soldiers even more easily than normal. Still, as seen in the video, both times have enemies around.
There's a playthrough of this mission by the game developers themselves, who talk about how it came to be and how it works, which I'll link when Lazyfire is completely done with this level; the short of it is that they have indeed made a copy of the map that is duplicated on the X and Y axis but is on a different Z-axis, so that when the player "time jumps" they are actually teleported either directly up or down so that they end up in the same location and the AI in the other time is frozen. It's a really clever implementation that took a fair amount of effort to have it work so flawlessly and is one of the many reasons this game gets praised so much.

This is more or less what I was trying to explain in my video, but I feel like I failed in doing so since I didn't have the information handy. It's really interesting how the game came together, though!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Samovar posted:

What's the deal with the reload animation on the Mastiff? What does the P.C. slot in on the upper right-hand side before spotting shells into the underside?

A shell. The mastiff seems to be a lot like the pump action shotgun from Metro where you have to load a shell directly into the breach before you load up the rest of the feed. Otherwise you have to reload twice.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

A shell. The mastiff seems to be a lot like the pump action shotgun from Metro where you have to load a shell directly into the breach before you load up the rest of the feed. Otherwise you have to reload twice.

So, the breach is not the same as the spent shell ejection port? Odd.

Also, General Marder? Why not got the whole hog and call him Captain Bod Guy?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Small thing that bothers me is that infinite warfare seems to equate oxygen/atmos with gravity, with one not being able to exist without the other.

Also if you don't telefrag someone by the end of that video so help me :v:
(Oh and, sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology)

Samovar posted:

So, the breach is not the same as the spent shell ejection port? Odd.

You can actually toss a shell in from the ejection port on most shotguns, this particular way of reloadings main positive is that you have one in the chamber for an emergency shot while you're putting the rest of the shells in. It's a variant of an emergency reload/combat load, Polenar shows it here a few times when he doesn't fire the chambered shot instantly, though This guy is less rusty at it.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 29, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Nalesh posted:

Small thing that bothers me is that infinite warfare seems to equate oxygen/atmos with gravity, with one not being able to exist without the other.
The thing is, they haven't actually figured out artificial gravity yet. They just pump each room to such a high pressure that everything gets forced down against a surface to simulate gravity. That's why when exposed to a vacuum everything suddenly floats away.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Jesus I've heard bad ideas for artificial gravity but that ones up there. Wouldn't it be an EXTREMELY bad idea to use open flames such as welding tools in that kind of atmos?

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I love how open the IMC is about being dicks. At the first scale model of the ark complex, there's a just a big sign showing the location of "SLAVE CAMP 1".

And although their leadership and their mercs seem to be over-the-top evil, there are still these small human moments, e.g. when their grunts despair about getting owned by a phase-shifting enemy or when that dead scientist records himself really hating being creative.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 29, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

Jesus I've heard bad ideas for artificial gravity but that ones up there. Wouldn't it be an EXTREMELY bad idea to use open flames such as welding tools in that kind of atmos?

What about Star Citizen's gravity goo?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

Gets a free pass due to the game never coming out :v:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Nalesh posted:

I can't do the math at the moment but I think so long as you kept the ratio of oxygen and nitrogen similar to what it is now it wouldn't create an explosive atmosphere. Even if it did I think your more immediate concerns would be the inability to breath air at ~50 atmospheres and being physically crushed against the floor by the weight of the air...

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Honestly the really dumb part is in that mission about grabbing the chemical weapon from the carrier is that they should have had been effected by the planets gravity and thus not ended up floating anywhere; the mission takes place in atmosphere and they're pretty clearly fairly deep in if they're just over the cloud layer.

Also how the hell would super compressing the atmosphere counter null gravity? Wouldn't it just make it harder to move around?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Actually you're right, why the gently caress would anyone think that'd work.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

radintorov posted:

That's a pretty great reference, actually. This part is so much fun when you're doing crazy Nightcrawler stuff - shoot one guy, sprint-slide towards another, blink into the present to shake off their aim, blink back, fire the shotty at the back of a heavy, throw a satchel at a group coming out of a door, blink away, move, blink back and set off the satchel, clean up. It's absurd and smooth as hell and awesome. I'm not a massive fan of the sorta-forced MGL use, but the Mastiff is a great one for the area. I just wish it was paired with something like an Alternator, so you could fire off a devastating burst, blink away to reload, then blink back and keep firing.

Plus, it's fun to know what they don't know, as the enemy mooks/scientists frantically try to figure out how you're doing what you're doing; and they pace the intensity ramp-up very well, so that you start off slow but are doing crazy chain combos and dealing with two separate groups of enemies by the end. It's so good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

what

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

people who don't know science shouldn't try to write hard sci-fi. or at least get some scientists drunk before they do.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

The Titanfall 2 thing reminds me a bit of the mansion level in Dishonored 2, although in that one changes made in one timeline could in fact affect the other.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

The Titanfall 2 thing reminds me a bit of the mansion level in Dishonored 2, although in that one changes made in one timeline could in fact affect the other.

Lazyfire needs to make a bonus video where he shows all the timefuckery you can do in that, pretty much every scene has something you can do, like take the place near the start where you walk in on a dude doing a recorded talk, if you walk up to him in the past he goes "Yes, what is it pilot?", and the audio log at his podium in the present changes to fit that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Despite not having an actual game to showcase it in there are like a million lore items behind Star Citizen and one of them is how artificial gravity works. Turns out its a fluid that they run an electrical charge through like Element Zero in Mass Effect and one of the things they were saying you would be able to do was disable gravity on an enemy ship by shooting out their pipes/pump for gravity goo.

Nalesh posted:

Lazyfire needs to make a bonus video where he shows all the timefuckery you can do in that, pretty much every scene has something you can do, like take the place near the start where you walk in on a dude doing a recorded talk, if you walk up to him in the past he goes "Yes, what is it pilot?", and the audio log at his podium in the present changes to fit that.

I really do. Unfortunately I don't telefrag anyone in the next video or anything either, I played this kind of straight which was probably a mistake as the telefraging at the very least wouldn't have changed anything, but the speech thing would have.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Back to story for IW, for better or worse. The Titan level is a very traditional CoD level where you do some sneaking, some synched shots with allies and then get into big gently caress all battles. It's just that you are on a moon while you do it. One of the things that has been discussed a couple times in the thread already is something that feels really weird through the rest of the game: no matter what planet or moon or other body you are on everything has earth gravity. On the Luna mission they sort of handwave it away by giving you earth gravity while you were in the terminal but then giving you lunar hop-and-jump locomotion when you were outside (for the most part). On every other level you are outside a lot of the time and you still get normal earth gravity. Unless every other place in the solar system is covered in a gravity shield this makes just no sense and is weird. This is why people felt like CoD was phoning it in a bit when the setting was announced. We all knew it would just be the same stuff that we've seen before with a different skybox, and the cynics were mostly right on that front.

Oh, a fun story about submarines and sinking now that Omar has brought it up: Years ago the first Virginia fast attack sub was on its first sea trial. This was a BIG DEAL for pretty much everyone involved so you had not only the crew, but also Navy brass and people from (what is now) Newport News Shipbuilding and General Dynamics crowded into the control room. At first things are going really well; boats doing all the right things, noise is in the limits; everyone's happy. Then the order is given to take the boat under. That's kind of a big moment for a sub, but with a new one of a new design you want to ease things in, so instead of flooding the ballast tanks at once the crew filled them slowly. Yet the boat, a steel tube longer than a football field, wasn't sinking. So they kept filling and the sub kept floating. Finally the ballast tanks were totally filled and the mast was still sticking out of the water. Supposedly the commanding officer tracked down the representative from General Dynamics' weight department and loudly requested to know what he did wrong. You see, every sub has a pretty large load of lead in it, otherwise the tanks would have to be loving giant to get the thing to sink. Turns out the weights calculation group misplaced a decimal or had transposed a number somewhere in their calculations and so the Virginia was missing a stupid amount of lead. The guy who told me this story said he had heard it was close to 40% of the total. The Weights group had to recalculate the number in something like a month. It appears they figured it out as that hasn't happened since.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So I served on a submarine for the better part of five years. Never heard that particular story but having spent plenty of time in a shipyard it wouldn't surprise me.

As far as the navy "designing a ship to sink"? Yeah, sure motherfucker they sink. Any ship can sink. The trick is coming back up.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The wind turbines you mentioned at the beginning of the video are called vertical axis helical turbines. They look super futuristic but have been around for a while now but aren't widely used as they have been prone to failure.

Here's a fun fact about Titan; other than Earth it is one of the few celestial objects in our solar system where a surface liquid has been observed. Many other planets and moons have ice (often water) on them and some are believed to have water hidden beneath the surface but past missions to Titan have confirmed that there is an actual liquid on the surface, that the surface has features consistent with water/liquid erosion and it may be one of the few other places in the solar system where it 'rains'. It's not water though, it's liquid hydrocarbons. Believed to be methane for the most part.

The atmosphere is composed almost entirely of nitrogen though so it would be unlikely that you could set fire to the planet. The surface gravity, since it has come up again, is less than that of our own moon so us running and gunning around like we were in the video would actually put us at risk of accidentally launching ourselves back into space. Thank god for those magical gravity generators.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ManSedan posted:

So I served on a submarine for the better part of five years. Never heard that particular story but having spent plenty of time in a shipyard it wouldn't surprise me.

Like I said, I got that one from someone else who heard it from someone who was supposedly there. I completely believe it because every day here someone finds a way to be dumber than yesterday.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Infinite Warfare is certainly going for the spectacle with this mission, but I'm finding it increasingly nonsensical, very soft sci-fi with a very thin veneer of hardness.

I mean, I felt that way in the first video, but it's just getting worse. Neat to watch though.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo the hoorah fist pumping macho bullshit is thick in this episode. Did someone on the dev team just watch Aliens or something? That dropship scene is suspiciously close.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sorry for the later than usual update, I spent all last night playing Mario+Rabbids with my wife and completely lost track of time.

I also don't have a ton of time to post my summary of the level and my thoughts on video games like I usually do. I'm sure some of you are pretty happy and/or don't read what I say anyway. I will say for now that this video has two of my favorite sequences in the game back to back. It's amazing that Respawn not only did something completely different from one level to the next, but that the pace of the game and the quick changes in setting make it feel almost natural that you just jump into the next thing the game throws at you.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I read the summaries :unsmith: Also, I love how the Militia troops talk to BT like he's just another dude.

Also, poor Marvin.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 2, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
As promised, here are the videos of the devs going through Cause&Effect and talking about the development process for the level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KntBgBOdeU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW_nq7i9n9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0aovGyvpnA

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I read the summaries :unsmith: Also, I love how the Militia troops talk to BT like he's just another dude.

Also, poor Marvin.

You know what I'd like to see in one of these games? A character that doesn't anthropomorphize the robots. Just interacts with them like they were hammers, or drills.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Fun fact: Your LP of BOIII got me back into Call of Duty. After Infinite Warfare, I'm never playing this garbage series again. So I sorta resent you. :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Samovar posted:

You know what I'd like to see in one of these games? A character that doesn't anthropomorphize the robots. Just interacts with them like they were hammers, or drills.

That might not be possible, Humans are just predisposed to anthropomorphize things:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30868033/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/real-soldiers-love-their-robot-brethren/

EDIT: A better article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/05/AR2007050501009.html

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

It's kinda hard to not anthropomorphize them when they're capable of full human speech and are clearly sentient. If their intelligence was akin to the V.I.s from Mass Effect, sure I could picture people just treating them like equipment.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

VolticSurge posted:

It's kinda hard to not anthropomorphize them when they're capable of full human speech and are clearly sentient. If their intelligence was akin to the V.I.s from Mass Effect, sure I could picture people just treating them like equipment.

It's not really elaborated on in the game but there's a big difference between Marvins, Stalkers and the Simulacra like Ash and some of the multiplayer classes. The first two are just dumb tools. Simulacra are human minds in a robot body, though it's not clear if they're just mind transfers or if there's literally a human brain in there somewhere.

Titans are a third class, something that starts out pretty dumb but gradually heads towards sentience the longer it's bonded to a pilot.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Polaron posted:

It's not really elaborated on in the game but there's a big difference between Marvins, Stalkers and the Simulacra like Ash and some of the multiplayer classes. The first two are just dumb tools. Simulacra are human minds in a robot body, though it's not clear if they're just mind transfers or if there's literally a human brain in there somewhere.

Titans are a third class, something that starts out pretty dumb but gradually heads towards sentience the longer it's bonded to a pilot.

Seeing as blood spurts out when you squeeze ash, it's probably an insanely advanced cyborg body, pmuch just holding vitals and the brain.

(Also pretty sure I remember the arc tool utterly shredding stalkers)

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 3, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Oh, I forgot to mention thanks for showing off the sonic ... shotgun... hahahaha it's still stupid.

also change your Jackal nose art, liven up these side-mission cutscenes (that conveniently show your Jackal from the left, so they don't have to rerender different ones for the art)

e: wait, they put the nose art on both sides. never mind, they just don't render it :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

You know what Titanfall 2 has made me come to hate? It's the CoD gimmick where you hit a button to use a special weapon from a piece of equipment on the field and it has to recharge but then suddenly gets recharged if you need it for progress or plot purposes. We saw it in the first full level of IW where you had air support running up to the ATIS gun, we see it again this mission. Infinity Ward has been using it as a mechanic since forever, look at the helicopter support you could call in during the storming of the safehouse mission in the original Modern Warfare, or being able to use drone missiles in MW2. TF2 doesn't bother with that idea and instead gives you near direct control over everything, either as part of a Titan loadout or through a special piece of equipment or weapon. At this point we've seen so many "hit the left control pad to call in X" from CoD that it is just not interesting and almost not a stage gimmick anymore and instead is simply expected to be in the game. I guess the question is if you can really blame the CoD developers for using a mechanic that works on so many levels for so long. As much as I complain about it, the special equipment options you get on a few single player maps in each game are a nice way to bring support units into the game without making you take direct control of them (though Black Ops 2 allowed for that) and they make you feel like a badass when you kill half a dozen people in a single strike instead of having to shoot and stab your way through them.

If CoD eliminated these sorts of things from future titles I don't think anything much of value would be lost, but I have to be one of the few people who have noticed the over reliance each studio puts into these segments in the hope that they will produce instant gratification and fun gameplay.

Psion posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention thanks for showing off the sonic ... shotgun... hahahaha it's still stupid.

also change your Jackal nose art, liven up these side-mission cutscenes (that conveniently show your Jackal from the left, so they don't have to rerender different ones for the art)

e: wait, they put the nose art on both sides. never mind, they just don't render it :v:

I do eventually end up changing the nose art (like, next week's video will see the change) but you'll literally never see it in game because IW couldn't even load IW with enough side missions where you could see different nose art in each one. Yeah. Also, the sonic shotgun sucks, but we'll see better ones soon enough.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 5, 2017

• Locked thread