Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For some reason my tower PC has decided that any Steam game being played for longer than 20s results in a hard crash. Meanwhile GOG, Blizzard, & Twitch games cause zero crashes. :smith:

Anyone ever have that issue before? It's not a BSOD either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Steam install may be corrupted or may be on a bad disk sector. Reinstall Steam and run a disk checker.

It's a clean install of Steam on the harddrive (that had previously ran Steam games fine when I was in the USA) along with a clean install of Windows 10 too, but I'll do that I guess though I don't know of any good disk checker programs. What does a bad disk sector mean by the way?

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yes, check this first. Install to another drive if possible. Otherwise, :psyduck: errors/crashes with no rhyme or reason are usually ram or psu related.

One thing, since you mention PSU, is that this is a computer I used in the USA just fine (all the hard dware is the same), but then got a power cable so I can plug it into a 220 outlet. That, maybe, would be why but why it doesn't happen during stuff like Witcher 3 on GOG is beyond me.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 22, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Not sure if it matters much with SSDs, but with old style hard drives the various platters that spin to make up all the storage are allocated as sectors. A bad sector could mean some corrupt data is in that sector or there's a minor hardware fault with it. Unfortunately I don't know any good disk checker programs that aren't stashed on ancient CDs I've got from my old IT helpdesk days or I'd point you in the direction of one.

It's on a normal HDD so yeah, maybe moving it all to an SSD would be good.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stop making Dota clones too.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's on a normal HDD so yeah, maybe moving it all to an SSD would be good.

This seems to have resolved the issue. At least, Dota 2 lasted longer than 30s when I booted it, as did PUBG and Pit People.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://store.steampowered.com/app/473690/Absolver/

This looks like a cool "Souls-inspired" kind of game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also I picked up Shadow Tactics, and it's fantastic. I had one small moment of frustration with the game getting stuck and refusing to let me do a downward jumping kill after I used the non-lethal attack, but it hasn't recurred, and otherwise it's exactly what I thought and hoped it would be.

Shadow Tactics is a good game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DLC Inc posted:

not really, Dark Souls looks like a hack and slash next to how good this combat system is

Regardless, it looks cool.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gwent is getting a single player campaign and it looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEzkqDhLIxE

https://www.playgwent.com/en/news/7261/gwent-thronebreaker-is-coming-to-the-witcher-card-game

Plus their doing the typical esport stuff but that was bound to happen what with it being a competitive game.

I really just like this game, and I've been getting back into Hearthstone lately as well. It's been a good period for people who enjoy digital card games.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 23, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macarius Wrench posted:

Roll on the dota 2 card game

I'm unironically interested in that given my enjoyment of Dota.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm always gonna get a chuckle out of the disheartened response to the dota card game reveal

It was definitely not the choice of reveal I would have started with. Usually they do the new heroes first, so starting with a spinoff game was a bit :psyduck: but it's whatever.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

RTS games, nobody makes them

StarCraft Remastered is great if you want a good RTS game that is mechanically sound, but also has good visuals. The upgrade was perfect.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

Should I be caring at all that a shitload of gaming videos on Youtube are being demonetized, slowly turning youtube into a kids-only platform?

I think it's a problem yeah. YouTube's new advertiser stuff is really loose and it's caused innocuous stuff to get flagged without much word or response from Google because they don't believe in talking with content creators who are flagged. Especially when it comes to outright bullshit flagging a la DMCA abuse that goes unchecked (see Jim Sterling v. Digital Homicide, Alex Mauer's spree etc.)

YouTube were flagging stuff for simply having a word in the video title that it deemed to be bad. A lot of YouTube channels discussing news etc. have lost a lot of their monetization because it's deemed advertiser unfriendly, plus stuff in the title will trigger it like "bloodbath" when discussing a video game space battle in EVE (which occurred to a channel I know). Oh and there was also YouTube channels doing Pro Wrestling stuff because apparently that was deemed to be hate speech or something dumb because the YouTube system is stupidly flawed.

H3h3 did a thing on it and how it's caused issues with their channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn46t8NksX0

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's great that videogame nazis won't be getting money but there's good poo poo getting thrown out with the bathwater and while I am aware that pretending like it's all poo poo is incredibly hip and cool it's also wrong.

No no, you see because I dislike the content of X channel its good that they're being arbitrarily punished by a half assed system. This is a good thing because I can feel smug about myself.

Norns posted:

No one made poo poo making public access tv shows.

Those are funded by the federal government. If you're saying that Nerdcubed should get some of your tax dollars to create his videos about Legos then I'm onboard with that.

vermin posted:

That's always been my thought on it*. When YT started out, everybody kept their day-job. They were just doing the fun time videos on the side. Moving to making videos for money full time sounded like a bad career move, but I guess loads of people thought otherwise. I think Youtube is all "Oh good, they're moving to Patreon" at this point.

*my daydreams of being youtube star never came about, btw

Nowadays it's no different of a job than say, working for a television network. Except that you get more creative control over your own product pretty much all the way through, which for creative people who work in the enterainment industry is actually kind of nice. Look at Geek&Sundry, Felicia Day's company, they have a bunch of staff for just production, and that's a good thing because those are jobs for people who work in the entertainment industry doing various roles (stage tech, editors, etc.). We're well past the point of "YouTubers are only people who aren't good at doing anything else" stage.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 23, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norns posted:

My stupid point is these creators aren't actually risking anything. They are using YouTubes services for free. They didn't go through any screening or application process. I'm not sure why these people expect to make money?

Mostly because YouTube's whole thing has been "anybody can make video content, and make money off of it" since day one more or less.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norns posted:

Don't trust giant faceless corporations for your lifeblood

So I should only work for mom & pop companies?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

This was a few pages ago but I do this (flagging youtubes) for my work and the guidelines explicitly state to flag stuff that has profanity in it beyond what you would hear on network television. I don't necessarily agree with the guidelines, but it's not all just an algorithm or w/e

You get paid to go through and flag any videos with cursing in it? :psyduck:

I have a crazy idea for YouTube, invest in customer service/better methods for communicating with their content creation partners (not Joe Schmo with 200 subs, I'm talking the people who have 4mil subs and hear nothing from YouTube ever).

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

I can see people liking Halo multi I guess but the campaign was garbage even at the time.

Hot take: Bungie are poo poo at coming storytelling.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Look I think we can all agree that Wolfenstein: The New Order revitalized first person shooters so both Halo and Half Life 2 are irrelevant now anyway. So let's talk about how great Wolfenstein is

Never played any Wolfenstein and am perfectly OK with it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Not true at all, there are bad feeling games made from time immemorial to today. Graphical fidelity means nothing.

Yeah but have you seen the Star Citizen trailers? GREATEST GAME EVER TO BE MADE

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

survival games that sell in early access only to be essentially abandoned by the devs> day-z

FTFY

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowcaster posted:

technically you could probably get away with sticking this to minecraft since notch sold the thing for a billion dollars and retired to complain about sjw's on twitter while building a house made of candy or whatever way before the game could be considered complete

Except Minecraft actually went full release.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221100/DayZ/

DayZ has been in Early Access for 4 years now.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowcaster posted:

i dunno the fact that minecraft was around way before and when it actually when full release compared to that seems to shoot dayz in the foot by a good way

Minecraft is actually playable without massive glitches killing your enjoyment of the game, unlike DayZ.

Edit - DayZ still has a 5 year old bug that has you clipping through the bottom of buildings and dying due to collision.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

minecraft is also fun, and a game, and it didn't spawn pubg.

DayZ didnt' spawn PUBG, Arma 2 did :sun:

Also Battle Royale/PUBG is good and fun.

Re: Monster Hunter, I've never played them but saw MHW is coming to PC but that there's also a game called Dauntless. I'm excited for both of those games, but will probably not actually play them due to effort and time.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to two different games this year that I loved and where I basically have to work my rear end off just to come up with minor nitpicks. I don't mind being relentlessly critical and negative as long as the possibility of real improvement exists, and if I focused entirely on broad trends from AAA developers as they compromise on every aspect of the genres I enjoy, I would lose sight of that for sure.

What were those two games?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hollow Knight and Shadow Tactics.

I saw Hollow Knight on GOG but haven't gotten it. Shadow Tactics is awesome and I enjoyed it a lot. It's super frustrating too because I am not used to some of it's "older school" stuff anymore.

A Spider Covets posted:

MHW is the MMO one, right?

Dauntless looks like a cash grab to me, $80 founders packs and people saying it's generally just OK.

MHW is the online one yeah. Dauntless looks fine, and it's going to be F2P so I'm just going to hold out. I like it's art style, etc.

chumbler posted:

My friend, have you heard the good word of Toukiden?*

*May not run on your PC because KT port.

I heard about that game and heard the port was absolute rear end.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also RIP Laura Kate Dale's twitter account.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh and playing Starcraft Remastered is good and cool and you should all replay the campaign from SC1 & Brood War. Good poo poo.

Made me go out and buy the digital version of the WC3 games and I'm playing those through again, and once again it's all good poo poo.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's no more online than the other ones. It's not an MMO. Frontier and Monster Hunter Online are the 2 MMO ones.

Oh. I don't know much about that series so I just assumed MHW is the online version. All I know is it's supposed to be on PC and that's good.

chumbler posted:

I had no problems with the ports of either game, while others have had it run like rear end, if at all. It's all up to whether you want to roll the dice, I suppose.

Yeah. I heard more "it runs like rear end" than "it runs fine" reports.

Laura Kate Dale is a transgender games journalist/writer who writes for Kotaku UK and is all around a nice person. She made a YouTube video series talking about butts in video games and comparing character butts because why not I guess. Anyway, she's been doing a series of articles about harassment related to video games and online stuff and her most recent article was with TotalBiscuit and more about the nuts & bolts of how to deal with that stuff (shutting off YouTube comments, blocking, having moderators etc.) which is fair since he's one of the more notable/longstanding YouTube people when it comes to games (regardless of if you like him or not). Apparently the article got published on what is the "anniversary of gamergate" and people got made at LKD over the piece talking to Totalbiscuit (who I guess was somehow involved early on in it all) and then started to harass her to the point she just up and quit most of her social media platforms so she'd stop being harassed by them.

Not trying to start a Gamergate discussion or anything. Just saying it's a lovely thing to happen to someone who was doing a good series of articles about harassment, and got harassed as a result. Her non-article stuff was pretty entertaining and fun if you are of the "video games are not meant to be super serious all the time" mentality.

Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blkHzT5xbWc Butts in Bloodborne

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 25, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

It probably didn't help that she collaborated with TB like right after he made that "don't be mean to Nazis" post

She was on his podcast a bunch over the years and have been friends for that time. I don't think that's reason enough to harass her into submission because he said stuff those doing the harassment don't like, but that's my view on things. I wrote stuff with her over at small indie game news site a few years ago so I'm a bit biased.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

if three people call you out for living up to your namesake in the same day then it's true

Yeah silly me, thinking it's bad to harass people.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

This free jak and daxter sony gave me is very fun

How'd you get a free Jak & Daxter?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

glam rock hamhock posted:

So what are the chances Square will be dumb another to not put local multiplayer into the SoM remake?

Probably high.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The discussion was what game had a worse effect on the industry, hth.

Here's a hot take: All games have a bad effect on the industry because the industry is ran by bad people.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

glam rock hamhock posted:

Who the gently caress considers cell shading to be bad?

I think it can be bad when its poorly done. Eg. Guise of the Wolf had horrendous cell shading.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

I like that leaked HL3 script and think it would have fit very well with the story line.
I am sad that we never got it, however, we did get Portal2. Portal2 remains my favourite video game story in video game history and one of the few games I would call perfect.

Portal 2 is great. As is that one mod that Valve made official that had a lot of prequel stuff. I really just enjoy Portal games is what I'm saying and a Portal 3 would be far more entertaining than a HL3.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Witcher 3 is the best Monster Hunter game tbh.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

What is a video game butt whisperer?

Someone who analyzes the butts of video game characters both male & female. Mostly male.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 25, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

So, Jim Sterling then

I am not hip enough to know which video game pundits are liked and disliked. Is he on the bad people list?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dontnod are awesome and I am looking forward to Vampyr. LIS was good but the cash in prequel by Square was a bad move imo.

Its a bit janky but Remember Me is a fun game. Wish you did more memory manipulation puzzles because that was cool. Then again we got LIS that basically did that stuff so it was a victory after all.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope you're okay and that nothing is ruined

I didn't watch the buttborne video since I can't really listen to anything with audio at the moment.

What exactly do they do? Like, is it legitimately just them trying to analyze butts, or...am I missing something here or what? In this day and age you can never tell who is being serious and who isn't and I can't check the video to find out.

It's more or less them being really tongue in cheek silly but at times actually serious in their butt analysis.

• Locked thread