Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Gamers! is a light novel series by Sekina Aoi, and now it's an anime too.

Keita Amano is a guy who really loves games. One day, while out shopping for new games, he's approached by the class idol, Karen Tendou. It turns out that she loves games too, and she invites him to become a part of the brand new competitive gaming club at school. Thus begins an epic struggle to become the best gamer in Japan...or, atleast, that's what would have happened if Keita hadn't outright rejected Karen's invitation. It turns out Keita is a filthy casual who only plays games for the fun of it, and doesn't want to compete with others. And then Karen slips on a banana peel.

Keita Amano is the series' casual gamer protagonist. A bit too shy to make friends, but fearless in his defense of his casual lifestyle and opinions on video games.

Karen Tendou is the class idol, all around nice girl, and hellbent on keeping the school's competitive gaming club stocked with new blood like Keita. Even if she has to follow him around for days to do it.

Tasuku Uehara has worked very hard to bury his middle school past as an obsessive gamer by carefully constructing a normie persona, becoming part of the popular crowd, and getting himself a girlfriend. However, when he takes pity on Keita by playing with him at the arcade and becoming his friend, the increasing disturbances to his life threaten to reveal the secrets of his past.

Aguri is Tasuku's girlfriend who sucks at video games. She seems to know more about her boyfriend than she lets on.

Chiaki Hoshinomori is another gamer, whose social isolation is only broken when Keita works up the nerve to speak to her. The two couldn't be more alike- until they disagree about video games and sparks start flying.

Keita's attempts to make friends with this odd bunch unwittingly places him at the center of at least two love triangles and a fierce clash of gaming philosophies.

Where can I watch?
Gamers airs every Thursday. It's available for streaming in the US on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This show is utterly shameless and I love it

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I like how the mc doesn't like tryhards that try hard and made that known since episode one. Then I learned he prefers moe characters over music and gameplay so the mc is bad.

Hoshinomori is the best.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like the blue hair lady, she looks cute.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I like the blue hair lady, she looks cute.

she cuts it short and its horrible

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I like how the mc doesn't like tryhards that try hard and made that known since episode one. Then I learned he prefers moe characters over music and gameplay so the mc is bad.

Hoshinomori is the best.

Actually it sounds like he owns

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

No really, a literal banana peel

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I was hoping this would be more like Genshiken but in high school. Does the show ever get more into the gaming culture/club stuff or is it just more anime high school romance?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ToxicToast posted:

I was hoping this would be more like Genshiken but in high school. Does the show ever get more into the gaming culture/club stuff or is it just more anime high school romance?

The game club was just a misdirection. They never actually join that club

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

It turns out the only games played were the ones with your heart.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Technically they form their own little group/club, but that's just so the normies can try to get Keita and Chiaki outta their bubble, and in the process, everyone's relationships gets tangled up

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I love how they're digging themselves deeper into their pit of confusion and romcom chaos.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

krnhotwings posted:

I love how they're digging themselves deeper into their pit of confusion and romcom chaos.
Well, they're dumb and cute teenagers, so of course shenanigans are bound to ensue.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tendi san doesn't deserve this

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

krnhotwings posted:

I think we're very nearly at the point where everyone suspects everyone else is dating everyone else.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I really should have become used to incongruent fan service in anime by this point. The commercial bumpers are one thing with this show being about dumb teens being so innocent in their goofy relationships. But this last episode's sweet, innocent, summer child ending gets a real salacious eyecatch right after it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SimplyCosmic posted:

I really should have become used to incongruent fan service in anime by this point. The commercial bumpers are one thing with this show being about dumb teens being so innocent in their goofy relationships. But this last episode's sweet, innocent, summer child ending gets a real salacious eyecatch right after it.
Haven't seen the latest episode, but aren't all the endcards up until episode 5 really cheesecake-y spreads of Karen and Chiaki in bikini/underwear?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

this isn't about video games at all, is it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

Haven't seen the latest episode, but aren't all the endcards up until episode 5 really cheesecake-y spreads of Karen and Chiaki in bikini/underwear?

yes

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't get back into gaming until late 2012, but is that supposed to be a DSi? The fact that I kinda recognize what they're using but not quite kinda bugs me. Is that dumb?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Triggerhappypilot posted:

this isn't about video games at all, is it

I love these stupid gamers

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Allarion posted:

I love these stupid gamers

Pleasant surprise of the season, really.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Normally I hate misunderstanding comedy but I have to admire the sheer number of misunderstandings the author is juggling here.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This was a brilliantly crafted episode. All the timings and storyboards were amazing. Like the Mona Lisa of anime romcom trainwrecks. :golfclap:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AnacondaHL posted:

This was a brilliantly crafted episode. All the timings and storyboards were amazing. Like the Mona Lisa of anime romcom trainwrecks. :golfclap:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, I agree that the episode was pretty much peak-"Dumb Teenagers Being Dumb (and Cute)", however...

SimplyCosmic posted:

This goon was right. The endcard was just... not necessary.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to defend the endcard

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Of course! You're The Colonel: Champion of Awful Hills to Die on! :dance:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is that what colonel does

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

is that what colonel does
It is a well-established fact!

Endcard shenanigans aside, though, I'm really digging these dummies and their love complications. :3:

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

what an intense overcomplication of something that isn't that complicated

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

AnacondaHL posted:

:yeah:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If that pentagram is to be believed, the only fully positive relationships with no doubt are Amano and Aguri and Uehara and Tendou. Chiaki is squeezed out and has no comrades.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If that pentagram is to be believed, the only fully positive relationships with no doubt are Amano and Aguri and Uehara and Tendou. Chiaki is squeezed out and has no comrades.

She has her Granblue buddy Tsucchan and her number one fan Yamasan who always posts and praises her games obviously

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I watched the first ep of this way back when and wasn't too into it because I assumed it'd be a dumb harem thing.

Then I got bored and heard it was funny, so I caught up today and I think this show is actually pretty good?????

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Wark Say posted:

This goon was right. The endcard was just... not necessary.
Gochiusa had the best end card with this master piece from Choporaunyopomi:

『家バレし、とっさに「これはキャンプファイヤー用の家です!」と 自宅に火を放ったシャロと 火消しになったごちうさメンバー達』のイラスト

A illustration of Sharol lighting her house on fire and saying "This house is meant for campfire use" after everyone discovered where she lived and the Gochiusa members who are trying to put out the fire

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I watched all the available episodes of this show this weekend

Veridict: I love all these idiots

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The show about Gamers turns into the normiest show. And its just great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
This show is pretty funny.

• Locked thread