Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MetaJew posted:

So can anything be done with these cars wrt the headlights having the incorrect cutoff for LHD countries?

That's generally not as big a deal as many make it out to be, very few vehicles have an asymmetric beam pattern. if it is a problem you can swap US market lights or aim them to the right a bit.
Even the worst of em are not as bad to meet on the road than, say, a lovely HID conversion or a stock 2017 Corolla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've heard people say that Japanese market dipped beams are a bit feeble compared to other countries anyway, but I guess it depends on what's actually required. From my understanding of the US norms, a UK car for example, has a bias in the sense of an absence of light thrown in certain areas, so it's not actively "nonconforming" despite being different.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Larrymer posted:

The BRZ/FRS is newer and better in probably every way except it isn't a hatch. I don't get why people are clamoring for some old shitbox when they aren't even buying the spiritual successor.

To me at least, the new one looks like poo poo. That's one reason... Cars are not just about what is factually better performance wise seeing as that's poo poo you can't look at, they're rolling pieces of art and some art is lovely looking. I'd much rather have a ratty looking AE86 that breaks down every month than a brand new GT86/BRZ purely on looks alone, that's how crap I feel Toyota did the 'spiritual successor'

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This popped up in my youtube suggestions. Clarkson in rad kei cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxVApIcIDXM

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

This popped up in my youtube suggestions. Clarkson in rad kei cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxVApIcIDXM

Mitsubishi Dangan ZZ

Daihatsu Mira 660 TR-XX Limited

For sale right now :getin:

Also there is a holiday of some sort in Japan at the moment so the auctions are closed and everything is quiet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Mitsubishi Dangan ZZ

Daihatsu Mira 660 TR-XX Limited

For sale right now :getin:

Also there is a holiday of some sort in Japan at the moment so the auctions are closed and everything is quiet.

I never thought my 6'2" butt would fit in those, but if Clarkson does, then I'm in like Flynn.
I think I may want a Mira Turbo now. That's a neat little car when it's got all the bells and whistles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I never thought my 6'2" butt would fit in those, but if Clarkson does, then I'm in like Flynn.
I think I may want a Mira Turbo now. That's a neat little car when it's got all the bells and whistles.

I'm almost thinking i could wear a honda beat if i pulled the drivers seat out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you have problems fitting in a kei car, a smaller steering wheel to allow a slightly different leg position will make a big difference.

I fit in them, and I'm a 6'2" :btroll:.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They had this up for £1250, previously, now down to £800:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232449536937

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

They had this up for £1250, previously, now down to £800:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232449536937

I like this.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm probably going to set a bunch of folks off with my next comments (since it seems to go against the grain of a lot of the internet folk), so just agree to disagree since we probably won't see eye to eye.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

To me at least, the new one looks like poo poo. That's one reason... Cars are not just about what is factually better performance wise seeing as that's poo poo you can't look at, they're rolling pieces of art and some art is lovely looking. I'd much rather have a ratty looking AE86 that breaks down every month than a brand new GT86/BRZ purely on looks alone, that's how crap I feel Toyota did the 'spiritual successor'

I will never understand your POV if you complain about the BRZ's looks and yet like the original AE86. :v: Even as an 80's kid it looks to me like a shitbox. It seems to elicit more feelings of "member berries" to people than actually be a decent performing car by today's standards (IMO). Maybe it was fun for it's time, but I wouldn't waste my time with it today.

I like old cars though, it's just modern things do most things so much better even if they lose a little bit of the "soul" of the car. I'm also one of those people that won't complain about manual gearboxes going away (even though I still own one) because DCT's can do it better and faster. :shrug:

Sorry, done going OT. Sorry OP.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd love a DCT in my xB, but unfortunately it's a 4 speed auto which I'm going to sell so I can get a 5 speed manual :v:

DCTs are great and all, but what are the odds of all automatic cars getting them, and then what are the odds of all of them actually being good and reliable? The way things are going it looks like CVTs are going to be the dominant automatics.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

I'm probably going to set a bunch of folks off with my next comments (since it seems to go against the grain of a lot of the internet folk), so just agree to disagree since we probably won't see eye to eye.

I will never understand your POV if you complain about the BRZ's looks and yet like the original AE86. :v: Even as an 80's kid it looks to me like a shitbox. It seems to elicit more feelings of "member berries" to people than actually be a decent performing car by today's standards (IMO). Maybe it was fun for it's time, but I wouldn't waste my time with it today.

I like old cars though, it's just modern things do most things so much better even if they lose a little bit of the "soul" of the car. I'm also one of those people that won't complain about manual gearboxes going away (even though I still own one) because DCT's can do it better and faster. :shrug:

Sorry, done going OT. Sorry OP.

No problem.

It does seem like you don't 'get' it though, which is fine! Most people don't, that's why we gather on the internet and make and buy those awful 'SAVE THE MANUALS' stickers and plop them on the back of our Tacomas.
Modern cars are better, safer, faster, more comfortable, better handling and far, far easier to live with. Fortunately cars (like most things) aren't just a numbers game, it's an emotional one too. That little 'hell yeah' you get when you are in a car that you truly like, maybe even love, and drive it around.
When you drive an AE86 you want to, that right there excises all logic from the game because now it's emotional. Just like manual transmissions, they make driving more fun for a lot of people which is something a DCT can never do. You can't engineer in fun when you are trying to slay numbers, and a DCT is a number slayer. Especially when it breaks :v: .

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I smile every single time I turn my headlights on, simply because they pop up. That's never going to be a thing on a modern car. If there's a kid looking at my car I pop the headlights up and the kid invariably starts pointing and alerting their mum/dad/whoever that it's the coolest thing ever. Headlights! When a modern car's headlights elicit such a visceral reaction from anyone I may concede that modern cars aren't all shite.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't hate the 86/BRZ styling, it's just that cars designed between 1978-1992ish look much better. But the market seems to like bulbous, organic styling so we've been stuck with that for 20 years.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Human Grand Prix posted:

But the marketAerodynamics and crash safety standards seems to like bulbous, organic styling so we've been stuck with that for 20 years.

Not an empty quote.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Put down $500 and got my first free inspection on a 91 gtr. Inspections are crazy in depth. it came down to paint is peeling (clear coat) and inspector thought rust was so bad that it went through in many places. Walked away sad, but glad that I didn't buy a POS.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Put down $500 and got my first free inspection on a 91 gtr. Inspections are crazy in depth. it came down to paint is peeling (clear coat) and inspector thought rust was so bad that it went through in many places. Walked away sad, but glad that I didn't buy a POS.

I am guessing rear quarter panels, bottom of the doors, front suspension tops aaaaannnnndddddd spare wheel well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Tonight on 'Missed Opportunities'

:negative:

I'm working on how to understand having the auction system send you emails when vehicles you are after come up for auction. I think I have it set up for Mitsubishi Minicab Vans all the way up till 1992. I promptly got an email about one that had just come on the auction. It linked me back to this specific van. :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Did that thing really sell for $1140? :aaa:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Loving the Momo steering wheel

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Did that thing really sell for $1140? :aaa:

It indeed did. It could have also been sold locally, whoever bought it doesn't have to be from out of the country. I can't read any Japanese still but I do understand that the AC doesn't work, or at least there is a problem with it. The very bottom of the sheet in the center that says 'AC' and then has those characters after it gives it away. Lots of air conditioning systems in Japan not working it seems, about 70% of the cars I inquire about have inoperable AC systems. From what I can see though it's usually just they don't use it and the refrigerant naturally vents through the rubber hoses and they simply never recharged it. Functional, just not operable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.facebook.com/JDMAuctionDirect/posts/254150615095393

Dayum

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's so beautiful :allears:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For the non FB people

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
This thread is full of so many rad vans and vehicles i didn't know existed but, for me, that one takes the cake. Way awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That thing looks perfect at that ride height with those steelies.

Edit: according to Wikipedia, an '85 shouldn't have the little windows in the doors. I wonder if the previous owner swapped doors with an earlier model just because they looked cool?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 25, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

For the non FB people

Found it on the auction block itself, it did not sell.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-n13noL57tCpTyOU.htm
It has some corrosion on some door edges and the rear hatch. The interior is rated 'C' so it might be ok, seat looks a little sunk but that steering wheel is rad-o-max. It might come up for auction again!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Vans? Vans!

1990 Toyota Lite Ace, 5 speed manual w/ AC, 42000 km.
Sold for $910

1991 Toyota Hiace, 5 speed manual, 4WD, AC, 347,000 km
Sold for $3430
It's a little too rusty and rough for me but I can't imagine there are many of these that ever existed, let alone exist now. Plus the interior looks pretty good and it has sweet decals, and it's a 5 speed manual 4WD Toyota van.

1992 Toyota Hiace, high roof, 5 speed manual, maroon interior, AC, 173,000 km
Didn't sell, might come back to auction.

1992 Toyota Hiace, sunroof, 5 speed manual, cool stripes and double brown. 369,000 km
Goes up for auction in 8 hours, according to previous auctions its worth is around $1160 but that's just a suggestion and since I can't read Japanese maybe something on the auction sheet swings that value one way or another.

1990 Nissan Vanette, 4WD, 5 speed manual, AC, big ol' bumper bar and rally lights. Green! 271,000 km
Sold for $390
A bit rusty but look at it.

1990 Mitsubishi Delica, 5 speend manual, 4wd, AC, 269,000 km
Up for auction in 9 hours
I really like the looks of these things.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KakerMix posted:

Found it on the auction block itself, it did not sell.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-n13noL57tCpTyOU.htm
It has some corrosion on some door edges and the rear hatch. The interior is rated 'C' so it might be ok, seat looks a little sunk but that steering wheel is rad-o-max. It might come up for auction again!

Hell yeah, is there a way to see what bidding got up to, or did it not even get a bid?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

Hell yeah, is there a way to see what bidding got up to, or did it not even get a bid?

Nope!
I haven't found a real answer for why sometimes it shows an amount and says 'not sold' or why it just 'not sold' with no amount at all. You assume that everything gets bids because of the way the system actually works (its all computerized, automated and the auction itself lasts for something silly like 25 seconds and then cycles through) but if it doesn't sell it doesn't sell.
I can't imagine it would go for anything north of $2000 but who knows. Sometimes things sell for pittance and sometimes something that doesn't look special at all rockets to high prices.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Delicas are rad.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

BlackMK4 posted:

There used to be, but USS have stopped letting 3rd parties poll their auction results.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

astropika posted:

There used to be, but USS have stopped letting 3rd parties poll their auction results.

This, they also stopped posting their results so sales data is skewed.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

KakerMix posted:

Nope!
I haven't found a real answer for why sometimes it shows an amount and says 'not sold' or why it just 'not sold' with no amount at all. You assume that everything gets bids because of the way the system actually works (its all computerized, automated and the auction itself lasts for something silly like 25 seconds and then cycles through) but if it doesn't sell it doesn't sell.
I can't imagine it would go for anything north of $2000 but who knows. Sometimes things sell for pittance and sometimes something that doesn't look special at all rockets to high prices.

I spent a bit of time looking at some of the Japanese car auctions earlier this year and while it didn't seem definitive, the answer I could find was that 'not sold' and an amount meant that the bidding didn't reach the hidden reserve set by the seller/auction house, and not sold and no amount should mean no bids were placed. I also found the unsold cars would often pop up the same day next week, or next fortnight.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delicas are rad.

Essentially a Mitsubishi Starwagon van bolted to a pajero chassis- they're almost 100% paj running gear under there, which means the lift kits and like fit them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

1992 Toyota Hiace, sunroof, 5 speed manual, cool stripes and double brown. 369,000 km
Goes up for auction in 8 hours, according to previous auctions its worth is around $1160 but that's just a suggestion and since I can't read Japanese maybe something on the auction sheet swings that value one way or another.

This went for $1650

KakerMix posted:

1990 Mitsubishi Delica, 5 speend manual, 4wd, AC, 269,000 km
Up for auction in 9 hours
I really like the looks of these things.

This sold for $1580.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 26, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just how awful an idea is this?

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-master-ace-surf/

Because it feels so right.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Just how awful an idea is this?

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-master-ace-surf/

Because it feels so right.

It's an excellent idea just be sure to ask them if the AC works (notice they don't mention it even though the vehicle is equipped with it). My guess is it doesn't hence them not mentioning it. Also the quality of the tires and brakes. When I bought my Acty from them it needed new rotors and brakes including hardware, new tires and I needed to have the AC system recharged as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-suzuki-alto/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-08-28

This thing looks fun, shame about the decals being gone. Not sure if the front seats are better or worse than the original.