Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Snowy posted:

Since when has Facebook been asking for id? Lots of people have accounts under fake names don’t they?

They did a bot bust a few months ago and my fake name account got swept up in it. You have to prove identity by having 3 friends supply a recovery code or send in IDs. I don't have any friends and no IDs in that name so I'm hosed there. I think you can sign up for an account without an ID but lol if they're making it easier for you to get a passport than a Facebook account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Use a Russian name.

created a burner email, and used a fake rear end name and this time facebook accepted it so who know how this dumb site works. Guess you have to activly undermine america to be allowed an account.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

One of us Canadians should buy this and keep it "warm" for our southern neighbours.

http://bids.b-pro.ca/aj-zY77pdhFaHTbNP.htm

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

One of us Canadians should buy this and keep it "warm" for our southern neighbours.

I will happily store this car and exercise it every day, Americans.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
That only works if anyone wants R33s.

Do people want R33s?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

That only works if anyone wants R33s.

Do people want R33s?

We have a lot of them. I think they're unfairly maligned, and are a pretty cheap way into the badge. Where else are you going to get an 850 000¥ GT-R?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Look at that, the AZ-1 has identical interior door handles to an NA miata.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

McTinkerson posted:

would

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Kaker 719 for that van? Educate me why so high? And I didn’t think you bought AT stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Kaker 719 for that van? Educate me why so high? And I didn’t think you bought AT stuff.

It's a better Delica. It's powered by the KZ turbo diesel engine ($$), 4 wheel drive ($$$$), and has a bitchin' sunroof system that, while not as flashy as the Skylites on the Lite Aces does have a massive center panel that slides open. All on a newer platform than the Delica. I'll take in in automatic because that's all you can get, I'm sure there was a manual option but you can imagine the take rate on a high-end luxury offroad van being equipped with a manual transmission.
For resell the 4WD is important, but I'd buy a 2WD one too because I'm curious what they are like.

Kinda like the Prados though the KZ came out in late 1993 so there are few HiAces with the engine in them, even less in the import window and less still in a quality worth importing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

It's a better Delica. It's powered by the KZ turbo diesel engine ($$), 4 wheel drive ($$$$), and has a bitchin' sunroof system that, while not as flashy as the Skylites on the Lite Aces does have a massive center panel that slides open. All on a newer platform than the Delica. I'll take in in automatic because that's all you can get, I'm sure there was a manual option but you can imagine the take rate on a high-end luxury offroad van being equipped with a manual transmission.
For resell the 4WD is important, but I'd buy a 2WD one too because I'm curious what they are like.

Kinda like the Prados though the KZ came out in late 1993 so there are few HiAces with the engine in them, even less in the import window and less still in a quality worth importing.

Word thanks for info.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

It's a goddamned SUPER BONGO

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Collect the whole set!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Mary Kay GT-R? :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

You could make some serious coin on something like that with all the landscaping companies around here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You could make some serious coin on something like that with all the landscaping companies around here.

Oh like yeah sure but it's a 15k+ truck, easy, and that's just at auction. Rather buy a nice Land Cruiser or something instead. I do scope out the Toyota Dynas though, something like that goes for a lot less and come in 4 door super cab variants with dump beds. Don't know what a local landscaping company would need with a 7.1 liter monster though :v:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

It's... it's... beautiful :allears:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

8239- at, ac, diesel, small chips in windshield, interior scratches and dirty, steering wheel worn, end panel slightly bent, mirrors not working, wheels scratched, undercarriage surface rust, slightly oily, rear garnish cracked, other dents scratches paint cracks, paint cracks on rear bumper area

Inspector posted:

8239- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, oil dirty, coolant color and level ok, valve cover area and oil pan area oily and dripping, diff area oily, tires worn, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage/wheel wells/fenders ok, front boots leaking, body as is in diagram, windshield chips ok, drivers seat 3-4 small burns, center console dirty, seats faded, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, steering wheel worn, interior cleaning needed but ok, no other burns, ac ok, at no shock or lag, check lamps ok, lights ok, power steering ok, windows ok, rear moonroof not working, mirror folding not working bud adjustment ok, wipers ok, seat forward and backward ok but tilt not working

Same 3.5 and B grade interior as the one from last week (though I do trust LAA Shikoku's eye when it comes to grades more than I trust ARAI Oyama VT) and same exact type, Toyota Hiace SUPER CUSTOM LIMITED, even in the same color combo. 1993 vs. last week's 1994 but with 13000 less kms. KZ turbo diesel-powered 4WD van with cool sunroof action. This one does have the front bullbar with foglights along with an oil leak to take care of, so that will be a new experience to document in the thread.

I paid 500,000 yen, $4452 compared to 715,000 yen, $6367 for the one I missed last week. I bid low knowing of the oil leak and if it is just the valve cover like I hope (the one last week was also showing issues with oil in the valve cover area) then we should be all good on the cost front. I'm actually more excited for this Hiace than I am the Delica I have on the way.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 19, 2018

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I'm actually more excited for this Hiace than I am the Delica I have on the way.

I'm pretty excited about that Delica you have on the way! That was what I wanted to shoot for next. Wanna trade vans? :shepspends:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Hey kakermix, how long is the turn around on your stuff?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

Hey kakermix, how long is the turn around on your stuff?

It varies wildly. The AZ-1s go quickly, usually within a week. The 85 Rugger was about two weeks, the kei vans maybe a month. Lite Ace was days, got lucky with that one. Real Land Cruiser was about a month, and I've still got both Pajeros and those are going on 3~ months now though I'm not really surprised on that.

It just depends since you are really selling to the person that sees it and goes "oh man I love that and have to have it". I imagine kei trucks are more utility oriented but I wouldn't know for sure.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

It varies wildly. The AZ-1s go quickly, usually within a week. The 85 Rugger was about two weeks, the kei vans maybe a month. Lite Ace was days, got lucky with that one. Real Land Cruiser was about a month, and I've still got both Pajeros and those are going on 3~ months now though I'm not really surprised on that.

It just depends since you are really selling to the person that sees it and goes "oh man I love that and have to have it". I imagine kei trucks are more utility oriented but I wouldn't know for sure.

I mean, how long does it take for you to get your cars from japan to jaxport.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

I mean, how long does it take for you to get your cars from japan to jaxport.

OH

For me it takes about 2 months. I'm last in the line when it comes to car drop-off in the USA. Sometimes even Savannah gets theirs before I get mine in Jacksonville. If you are on the west coast it could take as little time as 3 weeks or so I hear.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

OH

For me it takes about 2 months. I'm last in the line when it comes to car drop-off in the USA. Sometimes even Savannah gets theirs before I get mine in Jacksonville. If you are on the west coast it could take as little time as 3 weeks or so I hear.

Going out of town for 2 weeks in january so i was worried it might make it into port while i was out.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wargames posted:

Going out of town for 2 weeks in january so i was worried it might make it into port while i was out.

At least at Savannah you have 20 free days just make sure you clear it before it hits USA

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

From my drive to work today.

It is a sign. I need a Jimny in my life. Serious posting; I am so conflicted over a Jimny (somewhat practical) and the Cappuccino (awesome little car) that I am thinking maybe just try for both because you will save on shipping when bundling more than one, right? They use the same engine (F6A) and I could drive both and sell off the one that gets used less. Even Bring a Trailer fetches a decent take on them; at least a break even for the ~3 they have sold.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

From my drive to work today.

It is a sign. I need a Jimny in my life. Serious posting; I am so conflicted over a Jimny (somewhat practical) and the Cappuccino (awesome little car) that I am thinking maybe just try for both because you will save on shipping when bundling more than one, right? They use the same engine (F6A) and I could drive both and sell off the one that gets used less. Even Bring a Trailer fetches a decent take on them; at least a break even for the ~3 they have sold.

You only save on shipping from US port - > you, generally, since those small-time drivers like it when they can make as few a stops as possible. With my driver if I can fill his trailer then he knocks the price down because he gets to get 3-4 fees with one single trip. You will *not* save on ocean freight though, you pay full price no matter how many vehicles you transport by ship. A Jimny will be more expensive to ship than a Cappuccino. They also don't share exact engines, they are related, but not identical. The Cappo has a twin cam, a Jimny will be single.
As for resale, everyone loves Jimnys.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

It sounds like you’re trying to dissuade me from getting two cars but all those words put together still make me want a Cappo and a Jimny.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It sounds like you’re trying to dissuade me from getting two cars but all those words put together still make me want a Cappo and a Jimny.

Listen to the cat.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I wouldn't get two at once. Get the jimny first and see if you really do like all the facets of owning a JDM car. You won't save money getting two so might as well get one at a time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I wouldn't get two at once. Get the jimny first and see if you really do like all the facets of owning a JDM car. You won't save money getting two so might as well get one at a time.

Absolutely this. Jimnys are cool as hell but they are not for everyone. The Cappo is the same way. And it isn't just like it's just a car but right hand drive, it's a tiny car too. You might not like how it rides, handles or how you sit. You might not like being asked questions about it wherever you go.
If you get two at once then neither one will be special for being unique and your first JDM. get one, see what happens and then go from there. I'd agree that the Jimny is where you should go first.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Was this the thread that was talking about eBay coupons when we were talking about buying white-letter tires? I can't seem to find it, but I'll probably be looking for some replacement tires for the Pajero soon and those big coupons would be helpful. The BFGs that are currently on it have plenty of tread depth left, but all of them are riddled with cracks in the tread area (not the sidewall) so I'm guessing they are probably not the safest. The weather here has been pretty terrible, but if it's nice this weekend I'll get some pictures up. The technology and forethought that Mitsubishi was putting into these things back in '93 just amazes me. :japan:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Discount Tire Direct does sales every now and then with coupon codes, eBay also does 10-15% off sales with coupon codes lately. Best time to buy tires. Always hoard a stack of tires

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

YES! its needs a cleaning and their appears to be some rust under the head lights and will need the seats redone but i like.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Hot drat! I will have to have one of those at some point.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

YES! its needs a cleaning and their appears to be some rust under the head lights and will need the seats redone but i like.

That looks super good for 5~ thousand or so you paid for it at auction. The seats themselves are stapled to the plastic bucket and it's easy enough to pop them off and peel the fabric off exposing the foam. Rebuilding the foam I'm not sure, I swapped the passenger foam and fabric from the ratty AZ-1 and moved it to the driver's side good AZ-1 giving the seats a perfect appearance.

EDIT

I also got pictures in for the Acty I bought:

Front bumper needs to be repainted, its getting new tires while still in Japan (10 inch wheels lmao) and has exterior blemishes but that interior is pretty choice.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 21, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Your acty may very well be on the same boat as mine coming into jaxport.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

Your acty may very well be on the same boat as mine coming into jaxport.

Along with a Carry truck I bought last night. Maybe the HiAce as I don't know how long repairs will take.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

That looks super good for 5~ thousand or so you paid for it at auction. The seats themselves are stapled to the plastic bucket and it's easy enough to pop them off and peel the fabric off exposing the foam. Rebuilding the foam I'm not sure, I swapped the passenger foam and fabric from the ratty AZ-1 and moved it to the driver's side good AZ-1 giving the seats a perfect appearance.

EDIT

I also got pictures in for the Acty I bought:

Front bumper needs to be repainted, its getting new tires while still in Japan (10 inch wheels lmao) and has exterior blemishes but that interior is pretty choice.

That is probably the cleanest kei truck I have ever seen.

What is that hatch in the bed for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Engine access.