Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

One day, a simple man by the name of Iskra Miloslovsky brewed up a very special batch of moonshine - known simply as Shine - that changed the world forever. Much to his surprise, those who drank his creation gained extraordinary abilities - well beyond their wildest dreams! To most, Shine was just an urban legend, and Prohibition was just the Man trying to keep the common people from their alcohol. But anytime a new power rises, so too do those who would take it for themselves...

What Came Before:
Shine I: New York City
Shine II: The Chicago Outfit
Shine III: Spirits of New Orleans

Through each bloody conflict, Shine spread further across the nation - as did the secrets of its brewing. And now, Shine is easy enough to get for anyone who wants it - young or old, rich or poor. But crafty brewers keep experimenting with Shine recipes, and new batches pop up every day with stranger and stranger effects.

As the Sunset Limited rolled away from New Orleans, its passengers settled themselves into seats or knocked back a celebratory drink at the bar. None aboard had any clue what sort of chaos was about to unfold on this simple train journey, sparked by hatred, jealousy, greed, regret, and above all... the seductive power of Shine.

Shine IV: Murder on the Sunset Limited is a flavorful closed-setup game of Mafia for 23 players.

General Rules:
  • Standard Mafia Rules are in effect for this game. Don't be a dick. Specific addendums follow:
    • Twilight posting after the hammer is acceptable, but please stop posting when day-ending mod posts begin.
    • Please play to your win condition!
    • No PM comparing shenanigans - format, capital letters, whatever.
    • Seriously, don't be a dick. I will nudge you via PM if I feel you're going beyond the pale.
  • In general, no replacements will be allowed beyond Day 1 - please don't sign up if you aren't going to put actual effort into this game. (I understand that Life Happens sometimes - in extreme cases please PM me and we'll take it from there.)
  • Days will be ~48-60 hours (but will grow shorter as the game goes on) and Nights will be ~12-24 hours. Nights will be closed but I'll reopen the thread promptly.
  • Podima's Anti-Lurking Rules v3.2 will be in effect for this game. :justpost:
General Shine Game Rules
  • Each player may have a normal Role, a Shine Role, or both.
  • Shine Roles require Shine to use. You may or may not start with Shine.
  • Shine cannot be traded between players. Hoard your booze!
  • Flips will be in the format of "Player Name", aka "Character Name", "Alignment"-Aligned "Normal Role" {"Shine Role"}, "Flavor".
:siren:Shine IV Special Rules:siren:
  • Each night consists of a Mingling Phase and a Night Action Phase. During the Mingling Phase, each player visits a specific car on the Sunset Limited and may receive Advantages or Disadvantages. Mingling locations and Night Actions are submitted together in a single PM!
  • Each car has a certain number of Advantages and a single Disadvantage available, which are given to players that visit that car during the Mingling Phase each night.
    • If only one person visits a car, they will receive the best Advantage available.
    • If 2 people visit a car, one person will receive the best Advantage available and one person will receive the Disadvantage, chosen by RNG. The Disadvantage will always be distributed if at least 2 people visit a car.
    • If more than 2 people visit a car, Advantages and the Disadvantage are distributed by RNG.
    • If more people visit a car than there are available Advantages and Disadvantages, RNG will determine who receives an Advantage, a Disadvantage, or nothing at all.
    • You will be informed if you receive an Advantage along with your Night Action results. You may not be informed if you get a Disadvantage. See the second post for details.
  • All players must submit a PM each night with their Mingling Phase choice, even if they are not using a night action! If you do not submit a Mingling Phase choice before deadline, which car you visit will be chosen by RNG.
  • All available cars and their Advantages/Disadvantage are in the second post.

Big thanks to Poque and Kashuno for their input on the setup!

Player List:
  1. Asiina
  2. Bifauxnen
  3. Birdstrike
  4. Captain Foo
  5. Eight Dollars
  6. gif Probst
  7. Hal Incandenza
  8. IllegallySober/Lumpen/merk
  9. Jeabus Mahogany
  10. King Burgundy
  11. Little Mac
  12. Max
  13. Mayor Glowku
  14. Mithross
  15. Murmur Twin
  16. peramene
  17. Quidthulhu
  18. Sandwolf
  19. Somberbrero
  20. The Lord of Hats
  21. The Ninth Layer
  22. TMMadman
  23. tpink

Backups/Replacements:
1. Jonathan Fisk
2. Lumpen
3. Flying Leatherman
4. merk
5. VivaNova
6. Mordiceius

Podima fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sunset Limited Train Cars:

Advantages: Vote on Voting Method for Next Day x3 (Options: Simple Majority, Limited Lights Out [Limit 2 Lynches], Double Plurality) - Ties Broken by RNG, Voting Method Randomly Chosen if No Votes (Submit a choice with your Mingling Phase selection, please!)
Disadvantages: Cannot Vote Next Day x1

Advantages: Anonymous Double Voter for Next Day x1
Disadvantages: Secretly Hated for Next Day x1

Advantages: Action Unstoppable Tonight x2 (cannot be blocked or redirected in any way)
Disadvantages: Target Secretly Randomized Tonight x1

Advantages: Receive 2 Shine x1, Receive 1 Shine x1
Disadvantages: Secretly Loud Tonight x1 (Target is informed that you targeted them, but not what you did)

Advantages: Receive 1 Shine x3
Disadvantages: Action Fails Tonight x1

All players who visit this car during Mingling Phase must submit a message to another player with their action!
Advantages: Send Another Player a Direct Message x2
Disadvantages: Your Message is Posted Publicly! x1 (The sender's identity will not be revealed unless included in the message.)

Errata:
Start of Day 2:
- Coal Hopper clarified: Must submit a vote with your mingling choice.
- Barber Shop clarified: The double vote awarded with the advantage is ANONYMOUS.

Deaths:
Night 0
EccoRaven, aka Renaud Gaspard Chauvin de la Frénière, Chauvin de la Frénière Family-Aligned Vanilla {Untouchable Godfather}, was killed many times over on Night 0!

Day 1
Nobody was lynched on Day 1!

Night 1
Nobody died on Night 1!

Day 2
The Ninth Layer, aka Samuel Alexandre Chauvin de la Frénière, Chauvin de la Frénière Family-Aligned Vanilla {Cunning Redirector}, was lynched on Day 2!
tpink, aka Philippe Gautier Chauvin de la Frénière, Chauvin de la Frénière Family-Aligned Vanilla {Explosive Saboteur}, was lynched on Day 2!

Night 2
King Burgundy, aka Jocelyn Kahler, Vengeance-Aligned 2-Shot Shine Scrounger, keeled over unexpectedly on Night 2!
Murmur Twin, aka Kathrine Long, Vengeance-Aligned Vanilla {Observant Bystander}, was blasted to bits on Night 2!
Little Mac, aka ???, ???-Aligned ??? {???}, vanished on Night 2!

Day 3
peramene, aka Winifred Barnes, Vengeance-Aligned Vanilla {Notorious Loudmouth}, was lynched on Day 3!
IllegallySober/Lumpen/merk (debatably), aka Joséphine Judith Chauvin de la Frénière, Chauvin de la Frénière Family-Aligned Vanilla {Wily Illusionist}, was lynched on Day 3!

Night 3
Quidthulhu, aka Fabio Geier, Vengeance-Aligned Vanilla {Grizzled Locksmith}, was killed on Night 3!

Day 4
TMMadman, aka Marcelline Valentine Chauvin de la Frénière, Chauvin de la Frénière-Family Aligned Vanilla {Bittersweet Matchmaker}, was lynched on Day 4!
Captain Foo, aka "Wild Bill" William Carlisle, Wild Bill Carlisle-Aligned Covetous Survivor, was spitefully dragged along into death on Day 4!
Max, aka Marilena Schroeter, Vengeance-Aligned Vanilla {Gregarious Motivator}, flung herself to her death in sorrow on Day 4!

Somberbrero, aka Lucrece Mathilde Chauvin de la Frénière, Chauvin de la Frénière Family-Aligned Vanilla {Beguiling Attractor}, was lynched on Day 4!

Night 4
Sandwolf, aka Stafford Santillian, Vengeance-Aligned Vanilla {Adaptable Investigator}, was shot in the back on Night 4!

Day 5
Hal Incandenza was lynched on Day 5!
Eight Dollars was lynched on Day 5!

Podima fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 24, 2017

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Breaking from the usual tradition, I HAVE taken unofficial presigns for this game (more or less) since I've talked to enough people about it. Please sign up even if the list appears full - I anticipate that some presigns may not want to play after all!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven't played mafia in years. I'll play.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

OH MY GOD IT IS ON A TRAIN

MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
In.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Sign me up

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Scum or town or 3p I am going to play the poo poo out of this game, I am so stoked

Someone get Bifauxnen in here so she can see I am not a bad mafia player!!!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

Scum or town or 3p I am going to play the poo poo out of this game, I am so stoked

Someone get Bifauxnen in here so she can see I am not a bad mafia player!!!

Hahahahaha

Don't worry I'm already presigned

Also I do remember FF4 at least :cheeky:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

FF4 was not a good game for me though :v:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

:canada:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Podima can you make a Fallout 4 DLC sized mod implementing the Shine universe, I will be a voice actor for you. tia

e:

oh nevermind I see you are too busy BEING A FUCKER :argh:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
if I'm not in this game I'm going to post anyway

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

man this is a good player list, wish we had some KB in there

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
going to spend so m/cch time in the railway post

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Confirming my pre-sign.

I haven't played any of the previous ones and that's a lot to read in the OP but I'll definitely read it before role PMs go out!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

Nah you did good I felt real silly in retrospect for fake-casing you so much :v:

Oh hey you should check out the Myst thread btw you were actually in the story

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also, as I look at how many people 'presigned' and how many people I know and love as players from previous Shine games are not on that list - I'm sorry I couldn't fit you all in! :smith: The last time I tried, I swore I would never run another 30+ player game again!

Please sign up even if the list is "full," I'm giving people a relatively short time to confirm their presigns. I want to (ideally) launch this thing no later than tomorrow!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

helo

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, I am playing.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Confirming

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Will spectate. make me proud, fools

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Sure, I will play or inevitability replace.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:shepface:

i'm in

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hi confirming ok bye.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Still want to play in this!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'll be a backup

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I'll be in the bullpen.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

just reading the advantages/disadvantages thing now, this sounds seriously cool

apologies in advance to everyone I piss off by trying to minmax it while I yell at everybody about how they should allocate themselves in an orderly fashion

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Huh. Okay, sure, I'm in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
poo poo! I totally forgot that I'm leaving out of town for a few days in two weeks. It's been so long since I played that I forgot that the game would still be going by then. Drop me out and sub someone else in.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

poo poo! I totally forgot that I'm leaving out of town for a few days in two weeks. It's been so long since I played that I forgot that the game would still be going by then. Drop me out and sub someone else in.

No worries, I'll move you to the backup list. I'm sure someone else will start another game soon!

Birdstrike moves off the Backup list! Somber is up next!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://youtu.be/iuiEgjSs8ZY

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hey quick question Pod, is the game actually starting on n0 so we can submit where we wanna go for the first Mingling Phase?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

hey quick question Pod, is the game actually starting on n0 so we can submit where we wanna go for the first Mingling Phase?

Good question! Mingling Phase submissions begin with Night 1.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I don't see my pre-sign. Sad.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Confirming my presign for Atlas Shrugged ma--...

Confirming my presign for Shine IV

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

peramene posted:

Atlas Shrugged

if it was Atlas Shrugged Mafia, Pod would have to make sure each flip includes a detailed description of how each person's death on this train was their own drat fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
peramene thought she was going to make a joke, but was shocked to discover she felt her idea sounded hilarious. no one had asked, and no one would, as she smiled to herself and opened a fresh google sheet. sharing a look with her reflection as one would a fellow conspirator, she gave no thought to the consequences of her actions as the game began.

• Locked thread