Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm surprised that you have to actively leave to get a child killed rather than Donna just falling by doing the wrong rescue order because, well, she's hanging by her hands.

I suspect that the most dialogue changes are when you partially lose people. They likely have reactions, but it's likely to be more from the other people in the mission. The lines from the main characters are probably going to be sparse in that regard because they'd have to record it for each of the 3 protags in a lot of the chapters, so they just... didn't in a lot of cases. That utter silence at the end of most of the missions is pretty telling.

Game didn't let you save any backtracking this time though. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I can't believe they just let you leave one of them behind at all. Sure, you can *cough* accidentally have them burn to death but it's really odd that you can just walk away when you're not even on a timer (except the general burning building timer which you'd have to try really hard to run out).

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Man, I was hoping Scott would try to attack Max there.

Nope, he could only whine.

You dashed my hopes, Scott.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If god had wanted those children to live, they would not have created Max.

I wonder what would happen had Max left everyone to die but the cat. The game has been surprisingly decent at accounting for players' actions so far.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

EagerSleeper posted:

If god had wanted those children to live, they would not have created Max.

I wonder what would happen had Max left everyone to die but the cat. The game has been surprisingly decent at accounting for players' actions so far.
I was silently hoping he'd rescue the cat because "no survivors" doesn't technically include pets.

Also to see what happened if he only rescued the cat.

Alas. Max's dark gods demand nothing lives whatsoever.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Whill whe find out?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Max's Episode 5, 6 & End: How dare you...

Done. I have no idea what further unlockables this game hides.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I... what... what do you mean that wasn't Ending 6?!

How specificly and selectively do you have to gently caress up to get that ending?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm guessing there's another ending for killing everyone except this guy, so we get his motives and whatnot, but I'm not sure anymore. You'd think killing everyone would weigh more heavily than killing that one specific guy, but apparently Max and Douglas really cared for the evil monster that caused all of this.

Also c'mon, you gotta have a Douglas run now. Since you had the jerkass save everyone and the mostly-nice cop murder everyone, the dutiful Douglas should just let everything burn. Time that poo poo out. You don't even need to play beyond the prologue!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

You don't even need to play beyond the prologue!
There's no timer in the prologue.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

I... what... what do you mean that wasn't Ending 6?!

How specificly and selectively do you have to gently caress up to get that ending?

Maybe running out the overall clock gets you the worstest ending?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Just drop into a hole over and over to run out the timer.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

I have no idea what further unlockables this game hides.

Multiple per-character recolours, for one

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Polsy posted:

Multiple per-character recolours, for one

Oh boy!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Douglas's ending 5 gets dark :stare:

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 29, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This game's writing continues to impress. :allears:

Also, RIP everyone that got barbecued due to Max's bloodlust.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Done.

I appreciate the game keeping fires easy to kill, but cranking up the heat.

DOUGLAS TAKES A SMOKE BREAK:

Captain!!!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Yeah, they certainly overestimated the replayability of the game. I'll admit that the number of endings does make me respect the game a little more, it otherwise seems so low effort.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Congrats on managing to find a bit of extra patience for the game.

I found a bit of information about unlockables (though still nothing about the endings)

500 points - hard mode
1000 points - character recolour A
1500 points - character recolour B
2000 points - a masamune sword that destroys anything in one hit (see below)
2500 points - an infinite water gun

then the next goal is 100,000 points and the author did not wish to pursue that

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A katana is the last thing I expected in this game, honestly, but I guess it's neccesary for any game made in Japan, as western as it may try to be.

Also the ending mechanics are super interesting and clearly seem thought-out but they really should've thought things through in whether the game truly deserves to be replayed that much or not. Nonetheless, I give them credit for trying to add replayability and making player choices truly matter instead of just making everything a game over or pointless. That's something several games fail at (talking about fire, Fire Emblem Fates).

Thanks for showing all of this, SelenicMartian. I'm sure I would've never heard of this game without this LP, and for all it does wrong, I feel it has heart, originality and good ideas, even if it fails to execute them as well as it should. It's praiseworthy in a sense...just not really enough, I guess. But from a spectator's point of view, it looks like a good experiment if nothing else and I would've liked to see it being successful and then refined into a game with better gameplay and an acceptable dub. But well, that's not what happened, and that's fine too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm sorry if it's been asked, but this game have anything to do with Swery65/Access Games? The voice acting, models, and talking/idle animations all seem strongly reminiscent of Spy Fiction, but maybe that's a PS2 thing.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually felt really bad when Sarah died. That is an absolutely spiteful scripted death. Though I was surprised that Smantha wasn't the one to die from that.

OH GOD Douglas's prologue. I actually liked Douglas's conversation, but his underlings.... that dialogue is just AWFUL.

Gameplay starts out hilariously. I do like how the utter flaws in the AI get immediately shown with Rose doing absolutely nothing. Anyone who chooses the obvious protagonist first if they're actually trying to put out fires gets a face full of immediate disappointment.

The hard difficulty actually looks like it makes the gameplay has gameplay challenge, but even as just a spectator the controls look hideously laborious. So it's just eh...... The way the game does the branching endings actually feels really intelligent though. It's funny how I think that means everyone's 'save everyone' run would probably end up bland as poo poo though, if Scott's is any indication. I think the branching endings probably removed a lot of resources out of actual gameplay though, so it's probably not a worthwhile trade.

So from what we know, Ending 1 is save everyone, Ending 2-3 is probably save a mix, Ending 4 is directly lose your main character, Ending 5 is don't encounter them at all.... but then what the hell is Ending 6? Save no one BUT your main?

Thanks for running for this SelenicMartian. As you said, the game really does have a lot of interesting qualities, but it kind of utterly fails as an actual game so I can't blame you for not wanting to do any more of it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Keldulas posted:

So from what we know, Ending 1 is save everyone, Ending 2-3 is probably save a mix, Ending 4 is directly lose your main character, Ending 5 is don't encounter them at all.... but then what the hell is Ending 6? Save no one BUT your main?

SelenicMartian mentioned this but it's most likely 'run out the timer in the final episode'. The only (Japanese) person I found who let's played any reasonable amount of the game didn't do anything we haven't seen other than replay as Max to save Vincent but they also saved everyone else so it would've just been ending 1 anyway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Boy that's bleak. I kind of want to request seeing what happens to the the other characters once they lose everything.

Also I'll fully admit to not paying too much attention to the characters except for dumb jokes but when was it mentioned that Sarah was Douglas' wife?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Also I'll fully admit to not paying too much attention to the characters except for dumb jokes but when was it mentioned that Sarah was Douglas' wife?

I don't know if they ever said that directly but there's some scattered dialogue pointing you towards it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Polsy posted:

I don't know if they ever said that directly but there's some scattered dialogue pointing you towards it.
- Do you know her?
- You might say that. She's my wife.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I knew I'd regret not double-checking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Catching up on the thread, and uh...

Who the gently caress puts the only emergency exit in the CENTER of the building? What inspector would sign off on that? That's insane.

• Locked thread