Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

socialsecurity posted:

I can't actually think of a time Star Trek ended with them converting alien of the week to Federation culture overnight?

Just think of all the times they didn't execute Wesley for not keeping off the grass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You know, when I think of Klingon diplomacy, or basically any other race in Star Trek, I feel the race is just "let's take one core property and base their entire culture around it". Despite them showing that there are Klingon doctors and farmers and whatnot, the Klingons are "proud warrior race", that is their one property, and everything they do is based around that. Vulcans are the logic race, Ferengi the greedy race, and so on. Sometimes the plot of an episode is some individuals rebelling against tradition and in the "best" case they start becoming more human.

On the other hand, races like the Krill and the Moclans remind me more of the races in Babylon 5, where you can't just completely describe a race with a single phrase, but there's more to each race which you'll only learn as you get to know them. The Krill aren't just "the holy fight" and I don't even know how I'd describe the Moclans.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Krill aren't just "the holy fight" and I don't even know how I'd describe the Moclans.

I feel like the Krill are no more nuanced than DS9's Klingons. They are all very religiously focused rather than just the combative part, though

Moclans are basically "toxic masculinity: the species" A masculinity so toxic that the feminine is altogether banned

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

honestly i feel more and more that the federation is way too smug and self-assured about their value system. they're almost supremacist in their belief that they not only have a better society, they are better people. it's very hard to relate to them because they have so earnestly embraced a post-human-condition outlook; despite humans being the majority of the crew we see, the federation is really founded on vulcan ideology since human civilization was hanging by a thread when first contact occurred. it's believable from that angle, but still not relatable.

the union feels much more like a natural extension of humanity as it is.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

I remember when The Orville first started a huge number of critics very obviously did not watch any of it.

e: this one bugged me a lot at the time

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/916870420686655488?s=19

It was very obvious that people had their hot takes ready to go and weren't going to let a little thing like the actual quality or merits of the thing being discussed stop a good line of clickbait. That's modern media criticism!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

socialsecurity posted:

I can't actually think of a time Star Trek ended with them converting alien of the week to Federation culture overnight?

It's really something that happened more often in the original series. That said, many TOS episodes are also more nuanced than just having the Federation show up to tell the ignorant locals why Federation values are better than whatever they were using before then.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Usually the enemy of the week was convinced whenever Kirk ripped his shirt, yes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's really something that happened more often in the original series. That said, many TOS episodes are also more nuanced than just having the Federation show up to tell the ignorant locals why Federation values are better than whatever they were using before then.

TOS usually wrapped up one of those plots with a monologue, but it was usually more of an undercurrent in TNG. In TNG it wasn't usually convincing the alien of the week why their culture was bad, but contrasting it with Federation culture, and usually making the aliens look like they're backwards and wrong for doing things like killing their elders when they turned 50, or how Geordi wouldn't have been born on some planet because they would have prevented a defective baby from being born.

I do think that it really was why The Orville had the first Mochlan gender episode so early, it's a sign that this isn't Star Trek. They hit all of the beats for an episode of Star Trek, where the aliens are backwards and wrong for their culture, and the Union gives a passionate speech, only to end up slapped down.

It's also divergent from Trek, in the fact that it's an issue that keeps resurfacing. Not only does it keep resurfacing, but it was hinted that it may be a big problem in the future, and may actually break the alliance between the Mochlans and the Union.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Trek aliens outside of DS9 can't change because you're not allowed to serialise things beyond REALLY basic "changing a single crewmember maybe because that actor hates us" levels.
There's no time to properly develop klingons or anything in the TNG episode pattern so they become super general brush strokes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think TNG did a good job developing Klingons, but that was because Worf was a main cast member. Really, unless a species is in the main or recurring cast, they don't get developed even in DS9.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

swickles posted:

I think TNG did a good job developing Klingons, but that was because Worf was a main cast member. Really, unless a species is in the main or recurring cast, they don't get developed even in DS9.

Does that mean we're getting Krill exchange officers already?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

swickles posted:

And that's why not keeping around the Romulan cloaking device officer was such a lost opportunity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

And that's why not keeping around the Romulan cloaking device officer was such a lost opportunity.

Star Trek did a lot of that all the time. Just about every time there was something cool and neat that might make things more interesting, they would just discard it by the time the next episode rolled around.

It was frustrating to no end when it came to Voyager because, gently caress, if there was ever a reason for things to evolve it was Voyager. They couldn't just return to the nearest star-base for repairs, so getting rocked by a space monster should have left them doing functional repairs instead of cosmetic poo poo, but nope, everything is back to normal by the next episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Iron Crowned posted:

Star Trek did a lot of that all the time. Just about every time there was something cool and neat that might make things more interesting, they would just discard it by the time the next episode rolled around.

It was frustrating to no end when it came to Voyager because, gently caress, if there was ever a reason for things to evolve it was Voyager. They couldn't just return to the nearest star-base for repairs, so getting rocked by a space monster should have left them doing functional repairs instead of cosmetic poo poo, but nope, everything is back to normal by the next episode.

The pilot ep of Voyager pissed me off to no end because of this. Trapped in deep space, and forced to forge an alliance with the Maquis, and unifying crews, and the ep ends with the Maquis in Starfleet uniforms.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

The pilot ep of Voyager pissed me off to no end because of this. Trapped in deep space, and forced to forge an alliance with the Maquis, and unifying crews, and the ep ends with the Maquis in Starfleet uniforms.

ehh if they are going to integrate into one crew with one command structure, it makes sense. Uniforms are uniform for a reason.

There are a lot of dumb things about the voyager pilot but I'm not sure that's one of them. They should have stretched it out farther maybe, but they had to set the status quo for their episodic needs even if the premise demanded a serial FAR more than any other trek

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was voyager made for syndication? I think DS9 was, but wasn't Voyager made to air on UPN? Those are issues that you could explain away with syndication where viewers would get confused if things were aired out of order. But I'm pretty sure Voyager was UPNs thing, so the episodes would be aired in order, so you could do continuity things like that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Bloop posted:

ehh if they are going to integrate into one crew with one command structure, it makes sense. Uniforms are uniform for a reason.

There are a lot of dumb things about the voyager pilot but I'm not sure that's one of them. They should have stretched it out farther maybe, but they had to set the status quo for their episodic needs even if the premise demanded a serial FAR more than any other trek

I was thinking story-wise, where they had established the Maquis' were at odds with the Federation, so it would be cool to keep that going, visually at least. Instead of at the end of the ep "We're all assimilated now!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McSpanky posted:

At least they later owned up to it and called it a huge mistake instead of pretending all their choices were good.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Davros1 posted:

I was thinking story-wise, where they had established the Maquis' were at odds with the Federation, so it would be cool to keep that going, visually at least. Instead of at the end of the ep "We're all assimilated now!"

Apparently resistance was less than ideal

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cojawfee posted:

Was voyager made for syndication? I think DS9 was, but wasn't Voyager made to air on UPN? Those are issues that you could explain away with syndication where viewers would get confused if things were aired out of order. But I'm pretty sure Voyager was UPNs thing, so the episodes would be aired in order, so you could do continuity things like that.

I think Voyager and Homeboys in Space were the only two shows UPN had when it started.

Davros1 posted:

Exactly, hell, even if you're resolved to work together, if you start out at odds, it should be at least an uneasy alliance for a while. "Sure we'll work together to survive this mess, but we're not going to like it, at least not right away."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Iron Crowned posted:

I think Voyager and Homeboys in Space were the only two shows UPN had when it started.

There was also Deadly Games (which wasn't great imo) and 7 Days (which I liked.)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Davros1 posted:

IIRC they even lampshade this in the Barclay's Unhealthy Obsession With Voyager episode by showing that the crews didn't integrate and the ship is significantly damaged.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

agreed, janeway and tom paris should have just been changed into salamanders permanently

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The primary question the Voyager pilot begs the viewer to ask is: "Why didn't they use timed explosives??"

Janeway should have been stripped of command immediately after.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

8one6 posted:

7 Days (which I liked.)

Such a good little action/adventure/sci-fi show, kinda the tail end of those type of shows for a while of that generation.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Zurui posted:

IIRC they even lampshade this in the Barclay's Unhealthy Obsession With Voyager episode by showing that the crews didn't integrate and the ship is significantly damaged.

They did this a lot. Basically every time they showed an alternate version of Voyager, like the "Inaccurate Historical Account" episode and Year of Hell, they show what things could have been like and they were always much more interesting than what they would choose to give us. I was always sad that they never really chose to have a long serialized story about the return home and what they would gain and lose in the process.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Such a good little action/adventure/sci-fi show, kinda the tail end of those type of shows for a while of that generation.

I had always assumed that, with the show's premise it was 9/11 that killed the chance of a new season but apparently there was some minor drama behind the scenes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lambert posted:

The primary question the Voyager pilot begs the viewer to ask is: "Why didn't they use timed explosives??"

Janeway should have been stripped of command immediately after.

Nah, if you don't see it asplode with your own two eyes then it never asploded. Janeway was right to make sure it asploded.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Exactly, hell, even if you're resolved to work together, if you start out at odds, it should be at least an uneasy alliance for a while. "Sure we'll work together to survive this mess, but we're not going to like it, at least not right away."

Homeboys in outer space was over a year later, the original lineup was STV, Marker, The Watcher, Pig Sty, and Platypus Man.

So yeah massive wasted opportunity because Voyager was literally the entire network and could've done anything they wanted

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Them being the entire network was a massive albatross around their neck. Your don't get to experiment and take risks when an entire network rests on your shoulders.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Nah, if you don't see it asplode with your own two eyes then it never asploded. Janeway was right to make sure it asploded.
Seven of Nine asks this exact question in a later episode but she's going crazy so her insights are ultimately dismissed.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

Homeboys in outer space was over a year later, the original lineup was STV, Marker, The Watcher, Pig Sty, and Platypus Man.

So yeah massive wasted opportunity because Voyager was literally the entire network and could've done anything they wanted

Was Nowhere Man later too, then? For some reason I have always thought that was a first year UPN thing. What a great show that was, unbelievable travesty they canceled it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Davros1 posted:

Eh a lot of the Maquis were people who left Starfleet to fight for a cause. Some of them were dropouts or poor fits discipline wise like Torres - and I don't think the show shies away from her problems with controlling her temper, and her struggle to conform to a rigid command structure, especially in the early seasons - but many others were people like Chakotay who were very successful and accomplished officers before they gave it up to fight. Absent that cause to fight for it isn't surprising that for the most part they settled back into Starfleet roles. Voyager had a number of problems but I don't think that was really one of them.

I'm actually bingeing voyager right now, having never watched it since I was a kid - I'm even finding episodes I'm sure I've never seen. I've watched TNG and DS9 a million times, but I'd never bothered to watch voyager again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

Eh a lot of the Maquis were people who left Starfleet to fight for a cause. Some of them were dropouts or poor fits discipline wise like Torres - and I don't think the show shies away from her problems with controlling her temper, and her struggle to conform to a rigid command structure, especially in the early seasons - but many others were people like Chakotay who were very successful and accomplished officers before they gave it up to fight. Absent that cause to fight for it isn't surprising that for the most part they settled back into Starfleet roles. Voyager had a number of problems but I don't think that was really one of them.

I'm actually bingeing voyager right now, having never watched it since I was a kid - I'm even finding episodes I'm sure I've never seen. I've watched TNG and DS9 a million times, but I'd never bothered to watch voyager again.

It doesn't shy away from her temper but it does fly awfully close to the race essentialism sun when they remove her Klingon half and she's nicer

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

It doesn't shy away from her temper but it does fly awfully close to the race essentialism sun when they remove her Klingon half and she's nicer

Sure, nicer for a Hew-mon. Humans come off as insufferably passive-aggressive and evasive to Klingons. Basically, Human B'Elanna was a loving rear end in a top hat.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah but it's like--why even have that plot point and set up that conflict to just nerf it anyway? Like it could have been "regular Starfleet crew is Lost In Space."

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Was Nowhere Man later too, then? For some reason I have always thought that was a first year UPN thing. What a great show that was, unbelievable travesty they canceled it.

:agreed:

If there was ever a show they should reboot now, it's that one. The concept of instantly losing one's identity and shadowy conspiracies is made for today's prestige tv.

In fact, that was one of the first "prestige" shows in my opinion. It was, along with X-Files and post S2 TNG, one of the first times I appreciated quality writing and directing. It was on a higher level than it's peers on tv at the time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bonus points if they bring Bruce Greenwood back for it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Strange Luck would be another great show to reboot in today's prestige vein, and bonus points for bringing back D B Sweeney to do it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Strange Luck would be another great show to reboot in today's prestige vein, and bonus points for bringing back D B Sweeney to do it.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/the-orville-seth-macfarlane.html

Apparently the delay on season 4 isn't that Hulu wants to kill the show, it's because Seth wants to kill himself off and move to other projects and Hulu doesn't want to do more without Seth