Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Well there's a new twist: it was all a holodeck simulation, and the simulation was working exactly as intended.

And it does look like Alara's using that confidence she gained based on the way she threw her weight around with the rest of the crew to set this simulation up.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Brawnfire posted:

Is it just me, or do their guns look droopy?

The ship didn't have power, so it was probably cold.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This means her parents calling her slow was real :smith:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
God tier:
Isaac, Bortus, Alara

High Tier:
Dr. Finn, the fat guy from engineering

Acceptable Tier:
Mercer, Malloy

Unnecessary Tier:
Yaphit, LaMarr, Grayson

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Accretionist posted:

What if she uses memory wipes to solve all of her problems, and the repeated usage is causing brain damage? She can't stop herself because she thinks every time is the first. :ohdear:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

High Tier:
the fat guy from engineering

It's Newton, they said it several times in today's episode.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I said this before, but man, I'm really digging Halston Sage and her ability to actually act. She's mostly just been the Cute Girl in things I've seen that she's been in, but even her body language in this (and other) episodes conveys so much.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Alara's mom was also the first Vorta we see on Deep Space 9.

TheScott2K posted:

Did anyone else notice lowercase "nm" in the lower left corner of the screen during one of the shots where she was alone on the bridge?

Yep. I thought it was a weird watermark, at first. (It's raining and my antenna doesn't do so hot when it's raining.) Shows up in at least two shots in that scene:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Penny Johnson looked like she was having a blast being evil crazy doctor.
Also I love the robbit's fluid almost dainty hand movements, he's got a badass C-3PO vibe going on

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

alara episodes are the best episodes. pretty much everything about this one worked perfectly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I loving lost it at "I see the clown." Peter Macon loving kills on this show.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also Isaac's eyes turning red was a great effect.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I enjoy this show.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

also good call, whichever poster predicted that xelayans would be nerds with alara the only one willing to use her super strength

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baronjutter posted:

Penny Johnson looked like she was having a blast being evil crazy doctor.

I get the impression she has a blast on the show overall.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Accretionist posted:

Apparently they don't respect soldiers on their planet.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bortus is my goddamn hero. The delivery is perfect, but the shrug is what sells the line.

And the loving powdered wig!

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › The TV IV › The Orville: Regardless, it is crushed.

Mods. If ever you have heard my prayers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This seemed like it was supposed to be a halloween episode that they aired out of order for some reason.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CommanderApaul posted:

I was waiting for a final jump scare and was a little disappointed when the credits came up.
Remember, this show is very good at subverting expectations, especially the really, really expected expectations. When they showed her going to bed I had to think "wait, no, they aren't going to do another scare, it's just going to be her sleeping because she's conquered her fear" and it was!

TheScott2K posted:

Did anyone else notice lowercase "nm" in the lower left corner of the screen during one of the shots where she was alone on the bridge?
I totally thought this was just some watermark for the, uhh... version that I watched. Interesting it made it to TV.

This episode might end up being the best one of the season for me. I had zero instances where I rolled my eyes (something I'm used to doing at least once per episode) and despite the typical "let's smash together a few TNG episodes" thing they've been doing, the overall plot of Alara doing it in order to resolve and conquer her own fears was wholly original and I love that. They nailed this one so hard it really makes me all the more hopeful for Season 2's quality. I know IMDB ratings don't really matter but with 82 reviews in, this episode's got a 9.1 score.

And really, the best thing about this episode was even though it was Alara focused, we got a little bit of good from all the crew outside of, who, Yaphit the blob? It did a fantastic job of giving everyone something to do and earning their role. Man, what a good episode!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 17, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I heard a LOT of very, very Total Recall/Jerry Goldsmith-esque motifs in last night’s original score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RASjOpheJEs

Gonz fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 17, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

"I am feeling very self conscious. May I leave?"

Love every line Bortus has. Great episode.

They managed to do a pretty good job making a horror episode I must say, and I loved the aliens call out with her sans coat strapping on a rifle and going to kick rear end while warning lights, that music, and explosions are everywhere. Not to mention "this ship will run red with your blood" Isaac. I'm honestly floored how much I'm enjoying this show, thinking back to when I first heard of the show and saw the trailer, there is no chance in hell I ever thought I would find it this good.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Covok posted:

Apparently they don't respect soldiers on their planet.

This makes a certain amount of sense. Their gravity is so high that no one else really wants to invade them, so they've probably been at peace for at least a century.

Good episode. I kind of feel like we're due for a Bortus and Klyden episode. That or a whole crew episode like the Nightfall Turtle.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The fact that they knew what hillbillies was indicates they have their own super strong hillbilly types. One might say alien hobos, who would be hungrier.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Beachcomber posted:

This makes a certain amount of sense. Their gravity is so high that no one else really wants to invade them, so they've probably been at peace for at least a century.

Good episode. I kind of feel like we're due for a Bortus and Klyden episode. That or a whole crew episode like the Nightfall Turtle.

I really really want a malloy, lamarr, and bortus trapped on a malfunctioning holodeck episode now.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Alara makes a comment in the pilot that most of her people don't go into the military on her planet so they ones that do kinda get fast tracked or something, that's why she's in a command position and so young. It really felt like an offhand joke, but actually it was a nice bit of foreshadowing.

I can't believe I just typed those words about a Seth McFarlane show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did this episode have another of those Alara moments where she turns to camera and says "By the way nerds, I'm single, guys on this ship just can't handle that I have super strength, not like you!"

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

CommanderApaul posted:

I was waiting for a final jump scare and was a little disappointed when the credits came up.

Dude, what if the credits were the jump scare?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Did this episode have another of those Alara moments where she turns to camera and says "By the way nerds, I'm single, guys on this ship just can't handle that I have super strength, not like you!"

Nope the writers aren't that lame

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Kingdom posted:

Regardless, it is crushed.

Bortus continues to be amazing

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I saw half of the first episode of this last night before going to bed. Is it just Seth MacFarlane Presents: Firefly?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, there's nothing remotely the same as firefly except that the setting is space.

It's Seth MacFarlane Presents: Star Trek: TNG

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bull3964 posted:

No, there's nothing remotely the same as firefly except that the setting is space.

It's Seth MacFarlane Presents: Star Trek: TNG

Alara is a cute girl who can kick a moderate amount of rear end.

Helm guy reminds me of Wash every so often.

This episode had the word "Fire" in the title.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drunken officeparty posted:

I saw half of the first episode of this last night before going to bed. Is it just Seth MacFarlane Presents: Firefly?

I'm assuming the half you watched was twenty randomly-assorted minutes?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

vaguely Alien-ish music playing there

Vaguely? They were straight up jacking James Horner’s steez. That’s nothing new, though, the music in this show is basically “Star Trek’s Greatest Hits” put through a “Copyright Safe” filter.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This show is so loving great.

From the opening scenes I was so emotionally invested in the storyline I was practically in tears and how they handled Alara's feelings in terms of the writing. When the 'dilemma'(Star Trek CCG reference) came up, I was a little disappointed that they were going to get sidetracked from Alara's plot but they kept right with it, even providing some nice beats like her having to face the clown and then watching Malloy die. When it came full circle a little while after it didn't feel like a cop out at all and instead felt totally in character. I think the only thing I disliked was at the end when she was apologetic for her actions, while I would have liked her to be like 'Oh yeah, I could see myself doing that.', it made perfect sense that after something like she'd just been through, which she thought was real, she would still be in a state of shock and having her mindset completely changed.

Easily my favorite episode of the show so far. The character development in one episode for Alara feels a million times more than they've done for Michael on Discovery, mostly because it's just simple storytelling where the character is naturally reacting and the writing is smart instead of trying to be clever and over written.

Also loving Bortus is hilarious.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Phylodox posted:

Vaguely? They were straight up jacking James Horner’s steez. That’s nothing new, though, the music in this show is basically “Star Trek’s Greatest Hits” put through a “Copyright Safe” filter.

Also some incredibly close riffs on seaQuest

Edit: not this episode, just previously on the series

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

PaybackJack posted:

Easily my favorite episode of the show so far.

It’s pretty up there for me, too, and goes a long way towards solidifying my suspicion that the less this show tries to be a comedy, the better it is.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
This episode really drove home the difference between Orville and Discovery for me. A crewman died, and people got upset about it. It mattered to people. The whole crew got together and had a funeral. People cried.

Most episodes of Discovery have a scene where some people die, and nobody gives any indication that they have even a single gently caress to give about that loss of life. People get sucked blown out into space, slaughtered by a monster, or just shot dead, and everyone else just minds their business.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Beachcomber posted:

Alara is a cute girl who can kick a moderate amount of rear end.

We haven't had any lingering shots of her feet, so that's one thing above Firefly

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tom Guycot posted:

"I am feeling very self conscious. May I leave?"

Love every line Bortus has. Great episode.

"I see the clown."

Bortus is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

drunken officeparty posted:

Half of the first episode is all you need to see. You know the characters names? Fine then move on.

Its an incredibly poor pilot and doesn't give you the sense that it would ever lead to episodes like the one tonight.

Maxwell Adams posted:

This episode really drove home the difference between Orville and Discovery for me. A crewman died, and people got upset about it. It mattered to people. The whole crew got together and had a funeral. People cried.

Most episodes of Discovery have a scene where some people die, and nobody gives any indication that they have even a single gently caress to give about that loss of life. People get sucked blown out into space, slaughtered by a monster, or just shot dead, and everyone else just minds their business.

I don't like to compare them too much, because I'm enjoying both shows, but yeah, its kind of shocking how much better we know every character on the orville compared to discovery where most of them feel like a bit of a mystery. They often don't seem to have a character you can pin down and one minute they're doing something you would have assumed was against their character, but I guess not. They feel like you could mix and match them in the plots and it wouldn't make much difference for the most part, I dunno.

To be fair to discovery though, star trek has always has disposable crew members, 'red shirts' exists for a reason after all. Some of my favorite trek episodes, though, are where they actually have to face death and its consequences, like when Worf gets that kids mom killed on an away mission.