Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dietrich posted:

I mean his points were all well put, it's just the leap from "I recognize these plot elements" to "I can not enjoy this" is dumb. Orville subverts and twists when it borrows, even if the "everything works out in the end" tenant of startrek is followed.

The season finale episode was 100% generic first contact plot though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's like 3 different explanations in the last few posts of why and how people might enjoy this red letter media stuff and they all sound like warnings or threats.

We're sometimes making fun of how Star Trek aliens are just "dudes with forehead ridges", why don't they do a truly alien alien for a change? Well, I'm trying to imagine the mind of a person that might enjoy RLM, and that feels like a deeply alien mind to me. Utterly inconceivable, incommensurable.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Congrats on your first bad take

I have good personal reasons for this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cingulate posted:

There's like 3 different explanations in the last few posts of why and how people might enjoy this red letter media stuff and they all sound like warnings or threats.

We're sometimes making fun of how Star Trek aliens are just "dudes with forehead ridges", why don't they do a truly alien alien for a change? Well, I'm trying to imagine the mind of a person that might enjoy RLM, and that feels like a deeply alien mind to me. Utterly inconceivable, incommensurable.

Rich Evans is a Pakled IRL

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cingulate posted:

they make ~$25k/month through patreon alone. they havent had to shoot a wedding video in like a year.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

swickles posted:

I saw an interesting video that compared various FTL speeds across a couple different franchises (Star Wars, Star Trek, Halo, etc.). Just curious if anyone remembers any details that might give an indication to the speed of the quantum drive? I think in the episode where Claire and Isaac go through that rift they say a distance, but can't remember if they gave how long it would take to get home.

I believe it can cross 1 lightyear in 10 parsecs

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

swickles posted:

I saw an interesting video that compared various FTL speeds across a couple different franchises (Star Wars, Star Trek, Halo, etc.). Just curious if anyone remembers any details that might give an indication to the speed of the quantum drive? I think in the episode where Claire and Isaac go through that rift they say a distance, but can't remember if they gave how long it would take to get home.

I can't remember the exact number but Mercer gives Pria a specific number (lightyears per hour, I think).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

bring back old gbs posted:

they make ~$25k/month through patreon alone. they havent had to shoot a wedding video in like a year.

I can't wrap my head around that.

The whole youtube thing makes me feel like an old, I just don't see why you'd want to watch people talk about something like that.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

I can't wrap my head around that.

The whole youtube thing makes me feel like an old, I just don't see why you'd want to watch people talk about something like that.
I love watching people talk. Here, look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIKHmUWICWc
I click on a button, and I get that, for free!

What I don't get is watching these people talk.

So yeah, if by "the whole youtube thing" you mean these video channels, where young people yell at you in a very excited way about how they like or disliked some consumer product or political posturing or how they're proudly atheist or vegan or racist or whatever, then, ... why'd you feel old over not liking this? I think you can just feel alienated because somehow a ton of people seem to be really into it.

There should be a Black Mirror or Orville episode about "the whole youtube thing" actually. Not about how Milkshake Duck is Racist or found a dead person and put them on youtube, but just about how weird the whole thing is even besides for the scandals.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Cingulate posted:

There should be a Black Mirror or Orville episode about "the whole youtube thing" actually. Not about how Milkshake Duck is Racist or found a dead person and put them on youtube, but just about how weird the whole thing is even besides for the scandals.

but then the orville would have to have an episode where they didn't take the plot from tng?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Why do these young people waste all their time watching people talk on youtube?"

*watches 16 hours of talking heads on Fox News*

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Bozart posted:

but then the orville would have to have an episode where they didn't take the plot from tng?

I don't think you even watched the show

e: woosh :rip;

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 8, 2018

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

"Why do these young people waste all their time watching people talk on youtube?"

*watches 16 hours of talking heads on Fox News*
Talking isn't bad, recordings of people talking isn't bad.

RLM, however, is, by all appearances, extremely bad.

Bozart posted:

You're joking, but I for one would probably be ok with most of Orville plots being largely recycled.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Not all of The Orville steals from TNG episodes. At least a third of it is stolen from the original series! :v:

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
Just to confuse matters more, I'll say that RLM videos are very hit or miss. I love their Plinkett reviews since they really shine when they actually get off of their asses and do in-depth analysis, and some of their satire is all right (like the nerd crew), but all their other stuff is just their opinions about some poo poo or another and oftentimes I don't agree with what they're saying. They can have their own opinions of course, but it's not really fun to watch a video of some nerd talking about some poo poo when they're not really contributing anything insightful or new, particularly when you don't agree.

This Discovery / Orville video is pretty much that. If Mike wants to be a dumb picky nerd who can't enjoy the Orville because he recognizes the ideas they're using, then whatever, he can do him. But that's a stupid reason to not like the show, especially since they're not just recycling old plot ideas without changing them or putting a new spin on them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can't remember the exact number but Mercer gives Pria a specific number (lightyears per hour, I think).

Ten light years per hour, which is pretty dang fast even by SF standards. There are Culture ships that can't hit that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Ten light years per hour, which is pretty dang fast even by SF standards. There are Culture ships that can't hit that.

Dang, that's "we've explored the whole galaxy" fast.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I believe it can cross 1 lightyear in 10 parsecs

:gowron:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Red Letter Media is a real mixed bag but I will still watch their stuff occasionally.

The bits with Mike (taller guy from this video) and Jay (not appearing in this video) are decent because the two of them have sufficiently different opinions that they keep each other in line. I've enjoyed a lot of their reviews, the ones that they do in the dumb VCR repairman framing skit, and I've learned about some movies that I wouldn't otherwise have seen but really enjoyed (like It Follows) from their show.

I can't stand Rich (the short fat goon from this video) or his hyena laugh and when he and Mike get on a roll about Star Trek (which Jay doesn't watch) it is loving awful.

Also every bit of the Mr. Plinkett meta-story about him killing hookers in his basement is painfully stupid and un-woke but at least they've quit doing it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Dang, that's "we've explored the whole galaxy" fast.

Well, I don't know. It's certainly "we've crossed the whole galaxy" speed (that would be a little over a year of continuous flight) but there are a hundred billion stars to check out. I somehow don't think they've seen everything yet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

RLM rules but they're at their best dunking on stuff thats bad. Best of the Worst is consistently pretty fun, in a drunker-and-meaner MST3K sense.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, link me to the best RLM thing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

Well, I don't know. It's certainly "we've crossed the whole galaxy" speed (that would be a little over a year of continuous flight) but there are a hundred billion stars to check out. I somehow don't think they've seen everything yet.

Also, that's top speed; fuel consumption may not scale linearly with speed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate RLM because it's just some nerds sitting around saying if they like or don't like a thing. Who'd give a gently caress about that?
*posts about things they like or don't like on something awful*

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Peachfart posted:

Mike is wrong. Rich is correct.

Yep.

And I like RLM just fine. Realizing that they are well aware of how unimportant this nerdy stuff is to anyone not into it is part of their charm.

That and Rich Evans is a national treasure.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cingulate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwd13fdczmU

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 9, 2018

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I see your Rich Evans and raise you one Rich Evans (improv prank call out of nowhere)

https://youtu.be/JVtdLKQr5ZQ

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

I hate RLM because it's just some nerds sitting around saying if they like or don't like a thing. Who'd give a gently caress about that?

You're not asking money or have nerds irl parroting your points though.

Well, as far as I know.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I'm totally fine with you posting that thing here, and me having to read at least so much of it that I can decide if I want to read the rest. If you were yelling the same points into my ears with an intentionally silly and annoying voice, I'd complain.

evilmiera posted:

I see your Rich Evans and raise you one Rich Evans (improv prank call out of nowhere)

https://youtu.be/JVtdLKQr5ZQ
Ok, I tried, but I turned this thing off when the man started yelling in an intentionally silly and annoying voice (i.e., 30 seconds in). Being yelled at by people doing an intentionally silly voice is one of my least favourite activities.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kakU6kQDmU4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thom12255 posted:

Redlettermedia's Orville Review (It's called Star Trek Discovery review but it's mostly Orville discussion as contrast).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpHbLewg79c

The guys responsible for Space Cop have officially lost the right to criticize anything ever again, but them complaining about The Orville having dick jokes is especially rich when they made loving Space Cop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Guy Mann posted:

The guys responsible for Space Cop have officially lost the right to criticize anything ever again, but them complaining about The Orville having dick jokes is especially rich when they made loving Space Cop.

Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, criticize.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The dumb thing is the Orville mostly doesn't have dick jokes (I don't think someone saying "that guy's a dick" counts) and especially doesn't have fart jokes.(I can't think of any, except possibly Mercer saying the Moclan wine came out of him after all or Gordon saying he needed a new pair of pants after a rough landing)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think Dick Joke is shorthand for lowbrow humor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mike made one point that I agree with that Seth made a Star Trek show and then went "oh poo poo, I forgot I sold this as a comedy" and then threw some jokes in. That's not a fault of The Orville, and more a problem with how Fox was willing to give him a show.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Cingulate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqaQ6oivM2U

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There was an extended gag about looking at a dog's balls

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, criticize.

And those who can't criticize make an hour long video about how Ghostbusters 2016 sucked because it was both too different and not different enough from the original roughly one year after everyone stopped caring about it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

GuyGizmo posted:

This Discovery / Orville video is pretty much that. If Mike wants to be a dumb picky nerd who can't enjoy the Orville because he recognizes the ideas they're using, then whatever, he can do him. But that's a stupid reason to not like the show, especially since they're not just recycling old plot ideas without changing them or putting a new spin on them.

And there's over 700 episodes of Star Trek, bunch of movies, books and comics.

What scifi story concept hasn't been covered by Star Trek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

adhuin posted:

And there's over 700 episodes of Star Trek, bunch of movies, books and comics.

What scifi story concept hasn't been covered by Star Trek?

Five warriors pull ancient swords from a stone and must protect a space colony from pirates using giant space beasts that transform into robots