Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Welcome aboard the Orville!

Fox's new comedy-drama series stars Seth MacFarlane as Captain Ed Mercer, commanding officer of the Orville, an exploratory starship seeking out new life and new civilisations. So far, so familiar, right? Well, while CBS thinks Star Trek: Discovery should venture into the grimdark trappings of the mid-2000s, Macfarlane's Orville dares to capture the optimistic nature of Trek, and maybe have a few laughs along the way. Also starring Adrianne Palicki, Scott Grimes, Penny Johnson Jerald, Peter Macon, Mark Jackson, J. Lee, Halston Sage, and Norm Macdonald, and several more Trek alumni are to be expected both in front of and behind the camera (Jonathan Frakes! Brannon Braga! Robert Duncan McNeill!). Also, excitingly, Jon Favreau is directing the pilot episode, which is going out Sunday 10th September on Fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKECRnZe2U

While MacFarlane is famous for Family Guy and American Dad (which is far, far better), he is also the man who brought Cosmos back to the screen, and is a huge science fiction fan. As he says: "In this day and age of dystopian science fiction where everything is grim and dark and depressing I think there is an appetite – and I think it has been a while – for a show that is aspirational and optimistic and can maybe provide a blueprint for a future we could have if we get our poo poo together."

A really good thoughtful interview with him discussing The Orville can be found here on Trekmovie.

And you know what? That's not a bad looking ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe I should write that in big bold letters in the OP.

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE LIKE FAMILY GUY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh him and his ex-wife are totally getting back together. There's a scene in one of the trailers where they're back and forthing with someone else, and they have great chemistry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Seth MacFarlane Explains Why His New Show Isn't Just a Comedy

Seth talks about TNG as the basis for the series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, I just had an image of him singing the theme tune a la Roddenberry's lyrics for TOS.

Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand’ring in star-flight...

:gonk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Good little talking head from Seth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8AXpIP3yDc

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There is always that one persona that no-one can see through. :thunk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, I've got a quibble. I hate Seth's line read on 'I loosened it for you'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I think they meant how he said it.

Yeah, exactly. I get the joke, it's just his read of the punchline. It comes across weird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New inside look (in annoying VR):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOD0AB_xXkM

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New tv spot with decent joke at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9E7RzTAiU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

At least let him bust out some hip hop.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Seth barely holds back his excitement about the model filming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJnR3dIATA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I enjoyed the hell out of that. Yes, the jokes felt weak, and it shows they were basically all in the trailers, but the more Trek stuff was good. It all looks fantastic (I love the cycling red lights on the ceiling for red alert), the soundtrack is gorgeous, and it's got a lot of potential.

Macfarlane and Palecki showed some decent chemistry, with a very believable back and forth in their 'we no longer need to fear the banana' bit. It worked in a 'ah, yeah, I see why you were married' way.

I have quibbles, like Scott Grimes's character. He's too much, even for this laid-back crew. Mercer wants a tight, well-run ship, so he brings his drunk jerk friend along. Maybe there'll be an arc later on to make him a bit more professional?

And I really hope they give the navigator some more character (I'm still learning names). The soda beat was a nice, well-written, human touch, but I still don't know jack about him. Also, I'm not crazy about them sitting commenting on everything like a drat Greek chorus.

Suffice to say though, I'm looking forward to seeing more episodes, now all the trailer stuff is out the way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe when they say racist, they just mean xenophobic?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Accretionist posted:

That always irritated me. They're everything from a harmless people-mover to something like a combination fax machine-paper shredder.

Edit: I hope there's a cosmic horror episode about the 'combination fax-shredder' concept. Outer Limits did that once and it ruled

You should give Stephen King's short story 'The Jaunt' a read if you haven't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Also, there is a lot going on in this trailer fro the next few episodes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVisPe0s2lg

That's a legit good trailer, with probably a much closer to reality feel for the series. That should honestly have been the first trailer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I watched Hellboy 2 again last night, and I always forget it's Seth doing Johann Krause's voice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Didn't they also replaced Abe Sapien with Niles Crane? Or was that the other way around?

That was the first film. Doug Jones was doing the body and voice on set, but then the studio decided they wanted a name as Abe so they got David Hyde Pierce to revoice him. For Hellboy 2, they just let Doug do the voice on his own, which sounds a lot like Hyde Pierce anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Seth has done two Reddit AMAs today, the second off his own bat because the first was such a disaster. Apparently the PR company only wanted him answering questions about The Orville.

The second one is here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So they've released a couple of scenes from the next ep. One is some so-so Seth riffing, and the other is this really good character moment for Alara and Bortus. I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5tmI1r-vM

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Now, was Ensign Hottie there to set up a future relationship with her, or was he just a redshirt to show the consequences of her actions later in the story?

Also, I only just realised Gordon and John are wearing orange, not red.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Preview for the next episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OeasWwuQGM

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love the spiral staircase behind the bridge, it's so nice to just see stairs on a starship.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They should redo the Lt Picard scene from Tapestry with Ed and Kelly as Riker and Troi, make it look like it's all some alternate timeline.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wow, that was really good! Solid conundrum, some decent laughs from me, and some surprisingly decent acting from Seth (everyone else is already great in that department).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

There's a really obscure Trek callback in the background of the scene where Bortas and his husband are replicating clothes. A couple humans behind them replicate that loving egg shaped light ornament that shows up all over sets in DS9 and Voyager. I think it was the thing that attracted the nitrous aliens in the episode where Janeway blows up that other Federation ship and it was on the set for the rogue planet in the Omarion Nebula.

Oh man, that's where I recognised it from! It looked very familiar, and I couldn't think from where.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

vermin posted:

I really liked the look of their homeworld. I'm a sucker for industrial hellscapes and cultures/species dedicated to war.

The buildings looked great. They were very Simon Stålenhag in style, with a dash of Chris Foss.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Snak posted:

The average person in real life is loving terrible at their job.

Edit: and this is the subject of basically every workplace comedy series ever made.

Can confirm. Earlier this week, there was the rumour that I'll be taking over as manager of the tail end of my work's current project. I'm basically a glorified admin person, and the idea terrified me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also the giant gavel on a chain.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I genuinely wonder if this is going to be 30Rock vs Studio 60 all over again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why is she called Michael? I think I missed something crucial.

Bryan Fuller has a habit of calling his female characters by traditionally male names.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Isaac grated a little, but I'm dismissing it as episode 2 series setup stuff, and it'll go away.

This is a seriously good show already, and I'm loving it.

John's much quieter second 'boom' killed me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cult fave Brian Thompson is in episode 8 too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DS9 had a really good line in crew banter. There's more than a few scenes where they're just sitting around drinking coffee before shift start shooting the breeze.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm imagining when we finally do see an Enterprise-like heavy cruiser, they'll have a 'look they have three seats in the middle of their bridge!' joke.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Preview for the next ep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhsj7cqNZM

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can't believe they didn't give Dr Yates a "I'm a doctor, not a mechanic" line.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, I noticed we finally got a name for the holodeck; the rather clunky 'environmental simulator'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I thought the engine room set looked particularly cheap. The production designer is a big fan of 'blue LEDs mean the future', and seems to have got a job lot of EL panels for cheap.