Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

MiddleOne posted:

Why is TNG's pilot 90 minutes long, my god :stare:

EDIT: 5 minutes in and a space conquistador teleports in, I'm out

It's a two-parter.

Skip to seasons three through six and pick something at random. That's when the show is at its best.

Incidentally, I binged The Orville the other day and I think I understand why the Krill were willing to overlook all the undercover mistakes: for one thing, they didn't know hologram technology existed, and for another they have so little respect for non-Krill that they didn't think they could even pretend to act like them. Even the priest probably thought they were undercover heretics instead. On the other hand, why do they put children on a warship that actively goes into combat zones? Or is that another dig at TNG doing the exact same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I like that whats-her-face didn't upvote at the end but just turned off the TV since she didn't have enough information. Contrarian upvoting is just as irresponsible as condemning someone to a lobotomy because you don't like his face.

The show seems to borrow from TOS as much as it does TNG. Like TOS the week's planet is almost identical to modern-day Earth for hand-wavy reasons, but then the plot is basically "Justice" from season 1 TNG. Complete with a crewmember doing something entirely stupid but ultimately harmless as the captain wrings his hands over the Prime Directive. But in this case the Prime Directive isn't a codified law that would go on to strangle later Star Trek captains, so Mercer has more room to interpret his orders the way Kirk always did.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I liked this episode a lot. Does a good job exploring "fake news" and the idea that opinion>quantifiable reality. I'm not sure why the researchers didn't apologize by saying they didn't see her there.

They did. They went on a whole apology tour. It wasn't enough, because half-informed and uninformed people thought the two looked guilty and probably didn't hear a word they said because this sort of thing happens constantly and everyone's jaded.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Why would they have actual good jokes and then consistently give Mercer the lame dad jokes if they were all supposed to be good?

Not to mention the awkward, silent pauses during which everyone stares at Mercer instead of laughing when he tells a joke to the bridge.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Zoro posted:

Saying you value life is hypocritical after you kill two people.

She values her sons' lives the most. That and the stun pistols were on the other half of the shuttle.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Chop Sunni posted:

So very happy they made a point of loudly saying 'we have the cure, and we're sending people in to help' . Am sure there have been similar shows where that sort of thing just gets left hanging.

Yeah, the show is making it pretty clear that their version of "permit the natural development of the species" doesn't include living under false pretenses or extinction-level events.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I was shy and fairly well behaved as a kid, and I still fought with my older sister all the time back when I was in my "bratty kid" years. Nothing physical, but we would get on each other's nerves pretty consistently. For me this episode brought back memories of me and my sister fighting over space during vacations in our family's old Dodge Caravan.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

CPColin posted:

Is there some other line you all are talking about? Because all I remember him saying is something like, "His body temperature is five degrees above normal."

When a fever goes over 5 degrees Celsius, it's an immediate medical emergency that can cause permanent organ damage and rapidly become fatal. 5 degrees Fahrenheit is a high-grade fever but not nearly as critical. But seeing as the kid was suffering from a medical emergency and children tend to run higher fevers in general, Isaac could definitely have been reading his temperature in Celsius.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

At last, real proof that The Orville follows in TNG's footsteps! Incredibly nerdy arguments among the fans!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Doubling down on the relationship awkwardness by making everything awkward really was the right choice.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

The Orville just sounds way better than "The Wright". Imagine that was the title of the show.

And imagine all the characters talking about how they spend most of their time in the Wright.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Phylodox posted:

No, they weren’t. The old uniforms had flat, untextured shoulders and the bleh purple/grey undershirt. The First Contact uniforms had ribbed shoulders with the coloured undershirt. It looked much better, especially on the big screen when you compare Generations and First Contact.

The previous uniforms in question are the black jackets with colored shoulders as opposed to TNG's colored jackets with black shoulders.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Wouldn't deuterium only have Hs and Os to recombine? Is that where the slush comes in? Does the slush have, like, plutonium and poo poo in it?

Deuterium would only have hydrogen sporting some neutrons. Apparently instant cold fusion is just that easy in Star Trek if they aren't using mixed atoms.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Well there's a new twist: it was all a holodeck simulation, and the simulation was working exactly as intended.

And it does look like Alara's using that confidence she gained based on the way she threw her weight around with the rest of the crew to set this simulation up.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 17, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

High Tier:
the fat guy from engineering

It's Newton, they said it several times in today's episode.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Isaac never said it but his fear was in there, too. An organic lifeform outwitted him due to his own mistake. Obviously Alara needed someway to realize Isaac was the big baddy, but I like that it involved the robot making a not-so-superior verbal error.

If that were Isaac's fear, he would have inflicted it on Alara instead of letting her take advantage of it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

It's always fun to watch the actors point their phasers and see the beam effect go off in a completely different direction.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Think of it this way: which would take you out of the show more? Characters fawning over in-show contemporary hits that are actually lame because the creators aren't nearly good enough to make up a dozen instant classics, or characters whose pop culture references "conveniently" stop with the present day? The latter option is much safer, so I can see why the creators went with it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The show is ostensibly at least somewhat a comedy so the makeup looking a little rubbery I feel actually really works for it and subconsciously tells you not to take it too seriously.

That and Isaac's head being straight from the 50s.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Then why is it spray painted silver if it's not supposed to be metal

Because silver is a scientifically proven superior color.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Lots of places don't let you drink at your workstation, that's how I interpreted it.

There's also the old science fiction trope of spilling water in your keyboard and causing half the bridge to explode.

Spilling drinks on your keyboard or computer can, in fact, destroy it. Maybe not with an explosion, but still.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Something clever I noticed was that the Bortus Hot Potato scene not only gave Mercer an excuse to talk to Kelly, it allowed the show to reestablish the fact that Union tech can regenerate wounds before using it as a plot device.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Why it's an extraordinary adventure with an interface of magic, stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes, sophisticated score and musical effects. Not to mention the detailed animation and special effects, elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects, and magic spells.

Beat the rush! Go out and buy Loom™ today!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

They did say what they were going to do. The next time the quantum planet appears, they'll send scientists to observe the Union, giving them the same non-interference treatment the Union espouses. Assuming they aren't all ascended energy beings by then or whatever. It would actually be pretty interesting if the show got a Trelane/Q episode and it turned out the omnipotent energy being was a rogue from this particular planet.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Snak posted:

Why the gently caress doesn't everyone have a med scanner on them at all times? It's smaller than a screwdriver and can heal bullet wounds.

I assumed they do (at least on away missions) and the first bit was to remind the audience of the technology, not to specifically get her the scanner she probably already handed to Mercer. As for why they don't on the ship, well, do you carry a couple band aids with you everywhere? That's smaller than a screwdriver, too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I think the entire run of the DCAU Justice League show was two or three parters and it worked fine and this is for a cartoon. This is a good format I think.

They were also half-hours instead of hour episodes, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Enterprise is fine and would have been regarded as "pretty ok" if it had found its legs sooner. It tried to do some things and had some arcs so it's certainly above voyager.

On the other hand, it also has an episode where Captain Archer condemns an entire sapient species to death because of the writer's utter misunderstanding of how evolution and the Prime Directive are supposed to work.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Sam did leap "in the flesh" sort of when he went back and told Al's wife that he was still alive. Or am I mis-remembering?

That was the coda to the final episode, since Al being monogamous would've changed his character completely and potentially kept him away from the Quantum Leap project.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Isn't it basically that old YouTube "Wizard COPS" + "Alien Nation" turned into a movie?

Based on the ads I'd say it's Shadowrun but a modern-day buddy cop movie without the cyberpunk bits.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Considering that the Union had no information on the mating cycle of the blue aliens, I think NATO or maybe the United Nations is an apt comparison: everyone contributes money and/or soldiers to a single fighting force and makes major decisions with group consensus, but otherwise they stick to themselves. There might be some trading and cultural exchange, but there isn't much since space is vast and it's easy for a planet to be self-sufficient.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dietrich posted:

I mean his points were all well put, it's just the leap from "I recognize these plot elements" to "I can not enjoy this" is dumb. Orville subverts and twists when it borrows, even if the "everything works out in the end" tenant of startrek is followed.

Especially since they keep pointing out how the shows would cannibalize those same plots from each other and themselves.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Not all of The Orville steals from TNG episodes. At least a third of it is stolen from the original series! :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cingulate posted:

No, I don't get it. Even less so now. You're articulating perfectly coherent sentences, and it's making you look like just the kind of person I like to post in an Internet forum about Star Treks with, but this is making it even more strange how you like RLM. This feels like you and I are having a perfectly good discussion about what we like about Wrath of Khan vs. TMP, or TNG vs DS9, and you're saying "I'll get more wine", and I'm saying "I'll get more cheese", and then you're saying, "yeah can you bring the saw? Cause I'd really love to saw my foot of! I tried sawing of my rear end and that was really painful, but I just love sawing my foot of, it's so much more comfortable cause you can easily reach it, my wife is also into sawing her foot off".

And if you had started out by saying, "so you like Star Trek and cheese? Cool, I like mud and self mutilation", I would have said, ok, I guess we're different people, no biggie. But no!

So that's why RLM is so weird to me. How is slurred speech and borderline senility funny, how is it anything but grating? How can you listen to somebody very slowly talking about how good or bad a spaceship movie is from a nerd perspective? How do you want to watch videos of nerds discussing nerd stuff on youtube? I know that's a high-quality saw and I know you're drunk so it won't hurt as much, but why do you want to saw your own foot off in the first place?
I assume this is somewhat similar to how you feel about my appreciation of SMG. Or how my wife feels about me liking Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, same, I don't want trek actors coming onto the show playing a way too on the nose parody of their trek character.

See, that's the advantage of bringing in Jeffrey Combs. He's played so many roles on various Star Trek series that just having him show up and do anything is a Star Trek reference.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I have complete faith. He always gives 100%

Not the right Barkley but I like where your head's at.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Hmmm. I was about to give a soothing lecture to tide you hungry people over until the series hits gain and we could all go back to just enjoying life, but then a thought occured to me:

Would a fan of The Orville be an Orvellian?

Possibly an Orvillie, or if they're old-school an Orviller.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

JFK
Blown away
What else do I have to say?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Whalley posted:

I kept wanting Patrick Stewart to appear as a Q-like character, with DeLancie playing a straight laced planetary union officer who has dealt with him a lot of times before, but now I need DeLancie to just straight up be Q in Orville.

I still prefer the role reversal. Besides, if Q showed up in The Orville, I'm pretty sure Paramount's lawyers would want to have a word about that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Do reboots like Ducktales count?

If not then neither should Netflix MST since that's a soft reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Al Borland Corpse posted:

So it used to be Berman + Braga ruined Star Trek, but it's looking more and more like actually it was just Berman and maybe Braga was ok? I base this on Braga being EP for the Orville.

Braga's contribution was in writing more scripts than he had ideas and getting more creative control than he knew what to do with, from what I understand.