Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am going to take bold and novel stance: I have more confidence in Orville being a good show than I do for Star Trek: Discovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sinistral posted:

I'm pretty confident that no matter how bad Discovery is, it will at least be better then McFarlane's warmed over TNG self insert fan fiction.

EDIT: Also lol why am I not surprised that goons are lapping up the show starring a mediocre as gently caress white dude while actively wishing for the failure of the show led by two women of color

It's true, you have seen to the heart of me. I am a super racist who only likes shows made by white dudes from Rhode Island.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Modern references are very Star Trek.

Yeah, we live in a world where Star Trek people still listen to the beastie boys and drink Budweiser. So it goes.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Having twin 5 year old girls I probably laughed more than I should at the "Dora the Explorer" joke that they made early into episode 2, even if it is a bit eyebrow raising that a grown rear end man knows enough about 400 year old children's cartoons to be cracking wise.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

lelandjs posted:

I have a crackpot theory (based on the apparently frequent nighttime urination and concern about colon health) that Mercer has cancer and will die before the end of this season, leaving MacFarlane free to abandon the series focus on the writing.

I think in the latest episode they mentioned that some doctor or another figured out a way to kill cancer cells on the show, so you sadly may need to go back to the drawing board on that one. MacFarlane killing off his own character would be amazing, though — talk about a plot twist.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I must be a lovely ally because ep 3 was not the fictional equivalent of shoveling dead trans people into a quantum incinerator that the reviews had described.

I was genuinely surprised when the episode ended like it did, years of watching Star Trek had prepared me for good old fashioned moralizing at the end. I was pleasantly surprised with the finale and hopefully defying expectations like that l becomes something Orville does well going forward.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
And here is one of the papers, if anyone is interested in skimming it over! There was also a special feature on making of the wormhole on the Blu-ray, so I bet that can be found on YouTube with some digging.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

You heard it here folks, the most popular Star Trek show of all time never had mainstream appeal.

Seriously. My elementary school lunch box begs to differ!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

I took the head scratch as just what Krill heads were like if they were scratched like that. They could be rubbery keratine bands or something, we've no reason to think it's a solid skull or whatever.

I thought it was a joke and they were riffing on their B qualify scifi/TNG style makeup!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Watching the most recent episode and my wife said “man, I wish I was part of that crew.” The lady is easily the least nerdy person I know, but despite it all she is right on board with this show and is eagerly looking forward to new episodes. I can’t help but think that MacFarlane and friends must be doing something right. Shame the ratings don’t reflect that :/.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
If I lived in a universe that had a fair amount of god like aliens zipping around I’d probably take the time out to whisper a prayer or two on the off chance that one was listening. What’s the worst that could happen, I’d end up going on cool anthropological missions with Q afterwards? Count me in!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

DaveKap posted:

Whew, I wasn't gonna speak up but I'm glad to see folks in here making the very correct statement that American Dad ended up being an actually-good show... though I haven't seen the past 4 seasons so I don't know how well it's held up.

Has it held up?

I kinda feel that when it went to TBS it had a “we are an edgy adult cartoon” vibe, but that seems to be cooling off a little.

American Dad’s greatest sin is that it is no longer on Netflix. My wife and I used to put on an episode or two while we were drifting off to sleep :/

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 20, 2017

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's not American Dad, that's Fox/TBS and/or Netflix. Netflix is hemorrhaging licensed content.

Oh yeah, I get it - I am just venting. This is my Seth Macfarlane safe space!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It still amazes me that Seth narrowly avoided death on 9/11 because he was either too drunk/hungover to make Flight 11 on time. Between that and the millions he makes off of his shows he probably leads the most charmed life on planet.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’m just glad people are still listening to Wyclef Jean a few hundred years in the future... Hopefully he is right up there with other classical music greats, such as the beastie boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope The Orville is successful enough for at least 5 full seasons but not enough for spin offs or movies.

I want a show about Rob Lowe: the alien anthropologist who sexes his way across the galaxy and maybe finds time to solve a space mystery or two along the way.