Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AlternateNu posted:

I mean...we DO know that Rusty is a clone. The only thing is a clone of whom? The original Rusty? A clone of Jonas gone sideways? Who knows!?

We don't really have any hard evidence he's actually a clone, only the claims of a HELPR that was pretty clearly crazy and an unreliable narrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

drrockso20 posted:

We don't really have any hard evidence he's actually a clone, only the claims of a HELPR that was pretty clearly crazy and an unreliable narrator

Still as dangerous/hosed-up as Jonas Venture's adventure life was, it makes sense that a version of Rusty would get killed so a clone would be required. I mean, do you really think it was Rusty that cracked cloning well enough to be able to clone Hank and Dean all those other times?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Everyone posted:

Still as dangerous/hosed-up as Jonas Venture's adventure life was, it makes sense that a version of Rusty would get killed so a clone would be required. I mean, do you really think it was Rusty that cracked cloning well enough to be able to clone Hank and Dean all those other times?

Eh, I still like the running joke that Rusty is actually good at super-science when he's actually motivated, but almost everything he's actually able to get working properly is stereotypically villainous and/or outright illegal. He's successful with Venturestein, the Walking Eye, the Ooo-ray, and manages to repurpose the equipment to flash-clone an unfortunate kid in time for closing (and deal with a ticking time bomb of cancer while he's at it) and, eventually, with the ray shield. And then the teleporter that works well enough to get immediately taken away from him. (It still explains a LOT that the OSI actively sabotages any super-science that might actually challenge the status quo, while the Guild is just happy to hoard it for their own deadly games)

Rusty isn't actually bad at super-science, but he's terrible at every other aspect of mundane business that's required to reliably monetise it. And there's implications Jonas really wasn't much better (see the original Helper debacle, which is flat out something Rusty would do) but he grew up in a time where all he had to do was make a speech about beating the commies and Uncle Sam would vomit a pile of money into his lap.

I forget what thread we're in, but to bring it back- there's a reason I made a lot of Rusty Venture comparisons with this version of Gyro, and not just the voice. Gyro has the good fortune to be basically the pet mad scientist for a trillionaire who recognises it's useful to have him around for the inventions that DON'T blow up in your face, and even some that do once you work the kinks out. Even the inventions that aren't reliable, safe or sane enough to be monetised can come in handy for dealing with all the OTHER insane bullshit that Scrooge's lifestyle attracts.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 30, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, I still like the running joke that Rusty is actually good at super-science when he's actually motivated, but almost everything he's actually able to get working properly is stereotypically villainous and/or outright illegal. He's successful with Venturestein, the Walking Eye, the Ooo-ray, and manages to repurpose the equipment to flash-clone an unfortunate kid in time for closing (and deal with a ticking time bomb of cancer while he's at it) and, eventually, with the ray shield. And then the teleporter that works well enough to get immediately taken away from him. (It still explains a LOT that the OSI actively sabotages any super-science that might actually challenge the status quo, while the Guild is just happy to hoard it for their own deadly games)

Rusty isn't actually bad at super-science, but he's terrible at every other aspect of mundane business that's required to reliably monetise it. And there's implications Jonas really wasn't much better (see the original Helper debacle, which is flat out something Rusty would do) but he grew up in a time where all he had to do was make a speech about beating the commies and Uncle Sam would vomit a pile of money into his lap.

I forget what thread we're in, but to bring it back- there's a reason I made a lot of Rusty Venture comparisons with this version of Gyro, and not just the voice. Gyro has the good fortune to be basically the pet mad scientist for a trillionaire who recognizes it's useful to have him around for the inventions that DON'T blow up in your face, and even some that do once you work the kinks out. Even the inventions that aren't reliable, safe or sane enough to be monetized can come in handy for dealing with all the OTHER insane bullshit that Scrooge's lifestyle attracts.

I can see that now. I've been doing a re-watch (currently on "The Richest Duck in the World") lately. It's been mentioned before, but all with Venture Brothers there's a lot of Gravity Falls influences in this show as well. Scrooge as the wealth-obsessed elderly uncle. Soos as the employee who is both very capable and oddly incompetent. Webby as a synthesis of the Pines twins with Dipper's obsessive curiosity and Mabel's affection and enthusiasm. Lena maps some to Wendy as the older teen who hangs out with the twins.

Of course there's also a lot of variance - especially with the relationship between Lena and Webby. There's no romantic component to their relationship even a one-sided one (outside of presumably plenty of fan fiction out there) whereas Dipper was constantly crushing on Wendy. Also Wendy had friends and peers while Lena was clearly crushingly lonely (even if she was in denial about it) and psychologically abused. It wasn't quite "Duck Mommie Dearest" but consider the times we see Lena interacting with Shadow Magica and consider that her relationship with Magica was the only constant in her life for the 15 years she lived before meeting Webby. Lena's all kinds of hosed up. Even when she's obviously in a better place as Violet's adopted/foster sister, she's still a girl in her physically/mentally/emotionally mid-to-late teens hanging out with a bunch of 10-12 year olds. Usually teens of that age are with kids that young its in the context of older sibling or babysitter. One reason I really regret the lack of a fourth season is missing the season focus on Webby possibly with a season long subplot of Lena going to Duck High School and getting into more age-appropriate relationships with the boys and girls there and growing a little more distant from Webby as a result.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, how’s the Ducktales comic and is it still going?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, how’s the Ducktales comic and is it still going?

No idea. I never knew there was one.

BTW, it's more Ducktales-adjacent than anything, but there's currently a Chip'n Dale Rescue Rangers marathon running on Disney XD today.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

No idea. I never knew there was one.

BTW, it's more Ducktales-adjacent than anything, but there's currently a Chip'n Dale Rescue Rangers marathon running on Disney XD today.

I think IDW was doing it but I don’t know much more about it than that

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

I think IDW was doing it but I don’t know much more about it than that

I might check it out later.

Meanwhile that Chip'n Dale Rescue Rangers marathon on Disney XD is continuing today.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Any idea if the "This Duckburg Life" are S4 scripts that never got animated, or just random stuff the voice actors and script writers did because COVID-19 and that idiotic S4/65-episode rule and payment upgrades that killed that killed the production?

I just got the Disney+ because someone said that the new C&D RR movie was basically a sequel to the Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and while at it, I heard that this was based on Barks-Rosa-continuum, which it is. Week later and I am at the start of the S3.

The new Della is superb, but I kinda dislike that Donald being most of the time unintelligible was kept as a thing, since they went with the Donald being actually competent at adventuring before having to abandon that life to become a family man. But according to my knowledge, this was also one of the first times Della and Donald actually interacted together? Even in the Barks/Rosa comics they didn't cover that beyond being the two non-interacting babies that were in some photos and stuff..

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Any idea if the "This Duckburg Life" are S4 scripts that never got animated, or just random stuff the voice actors and script writers did because COVID-19 and that idiotic S4/65-episode rule and payment upgrades that killed that killed the production?

I just got the Disney+ because someone said that the new C&D RR movie was basically a sequel to the Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and while at it, I heard that this was based on Barks-Rosa-continuum, which it is. Week later and I am at the start of the S3.

The new Della is superb, but I kinda dislike that Donald being most of the time unintelligible was kept as a thing, since they went with the Donald being actually competent at adventuring before having to abandon that life to become a family man. But according to my knowledge, this was also one of the first times Della and Donald actually interacted together? Even in the Barks/Rosa comics they didn't cover that beyond being the two non-interacting babies that were in some photos and stuff..

It's hard to tell whether DuckTales got the axe by Disney out of nowhere or if they'd always intended to end it on three seasons, because basically the only dangling plot thread that the show never wrapped up before the end was Negaduck. That one kind of went nowhere, largely because Jim Cummings' messy divorce drama basically put his career on ice for a while until it was resolved.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

The show takes some things from the Barks-Rosa "continuum" but not everything. If you pay attention during the show, there's a lot of easter eggy references to various Barks things that they didn't either get to or want to portray in the show, such as (can't remember when this happens exactly so spoilers just in case!) the cubic eggs :prepop:.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I agree though, they should have had Tony Anselmo just speak normally as Donald. If you're going to go as radical a reboot as DT17 did with just about everything else, break the last taboo and give us an intelligible Donald Duck.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Rappaport posted:

The show takes some things from the Barks-Rosa "continuum" but not everything. If you pay attention during the show, there's a lot of easter eggy references to various Barks things that they didn't either get to or want to portray in the show, such as (can't remember when this happens exactly so spoilers just in case!) the cubic eggs :prepop:.

Yeah it isn't exactly that, but it is closest we will probably ever get to getting a US Disney-approved animation on Barks-Rosa world.

And this is coming from the guy who has a signed Don Rosa artwork in his study as a framed piece and all Rosa albums bought as first editions. Barks was a bit late to my age, and the "definite collected works" costs something crazy which I could not afford as a student. And now they are collector's pieces so I still cannot justify the costs, because I have house loans to pay.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Der Kyhe posted:

The new Della is superb, but I kinda dislike that Donald being most of the time unintelligible was kept as a thing, since they went with the Donald being actually competent at adventuring before having to abandon that life to become a family man.

Lots of stuff in the show makes it clear that his speech impediment is something that got worse over time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bleck posted:

Lots of stuff in the show makes it clear that his speech impediment is something that got worse over time.

It's explicitly linked to his anger issues and he is shown just getting progressively madder the older he gets, as befitting for a man in his mid 30s in the early 2020s.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I agree though, they should have had Tony Anselmo just speak normally as Donald. If you're going to go as radical a reboot as DT17 did with just about everything else, break the last taboo and give us an intelligible Donald Duck.

Out of curiosity, has there ever been any Disney related thing where Anselmo used his natural speaking voice for Donald (though there were a few episodes of DT17 where the character was voiced by Don Cheadle)?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It's explicitly linked to his anger issues and he is shown just getting progressively madder the older he gets, as befitting for a man in his mid 30s in the early 2020s.

Considering how the show progresses, his problems keep escalating as the triplets keep getting more mature, and Scrooge's enemies keep getting more aggressive. I mean, by the S3 even the arcade at the pier is ran by the people who want to kill them.

And as for the Barks-Rosa goes, Donald and Della are the children of the most anger-issued people alive. McDucks have anger issues, the local Ducks at Calisota have similar issues. When they get turboangry they can fist-fight an Ironman, or throw the steam engine of a riverboat at the enemies to win that fight.

Also, in S1 Scrooge said that the submarine has only seatbelts; in S3 Della armed the warheads on that same boat. :D

And it is still stupid that Donald is the unintelligible one, this wasn't a problem in any of the Barks or Rosa stories, or with the later writers who followed that same continuum.

EDIT: Donald being unintelligible is mostly a US-Disney-feature, EU version does not have that one.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 27, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, has there ever been any Disney related thing where Anselmo used his natural speaking voice for Donald (though there were a few episodes of DT17 where the character was voiced by Don Cheadle)?

From the look of it, no. The guy basically has two careers, both of them with Disney, one being the voice of Donald Duck, the other being an animator.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

From the look of it, no. The guy basically has two careers, both of them with Disney, one being the voice of Donald Duck, the other being an animator.

Yeah, based on his Wikipedia entry the only other non Donald voice credits I can see for him are some minor roles in The Great Mouse Detective and a small handful of cartoons (compared to someone like Bill Farmer who’s done a bunch of non Goofy related roles)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

And it is still stupid that Donald is the unintelligible one, this wasn't a problem in any of the Barks or Rosa stories, or with the later writers who followed that idea.

That's animated Donald tradition, the worst the comics got was KÄKÄKÄÄÄÄK which... Sort of sounds like his English tantrums?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Rappaport posted:

That's animated Donald tradition, the worst the comics got was KÄKÄKÄÄÄÄK which... Sort of sounds like his English tantrums?

Well, he gets loving angry as a character gimmick, and ehhehheehehehheeee was already used by the PulttiBois? :D

EDIT: Taking a leap of faith here and thinking that you are a Finn. :D

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is there a particular reason why Disney decided to give Donald (and literally no other duck character) that particular voice?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 27, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, is there a particular reason why Disney decided to give Donald (and literally no other duck character) that particular voice?

No idea actually, but he started as a foil to Mickey so maybe it was just a lark to make him less intelligible?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

No idea actually, but he started as a foil to Mickey so maybe it was just a lark to make him less intelligible?

The link above answers it somewhat, it was apparently something his OG actor Clarence Nash came up with

And to be fair, that’s not exactly a voice that you could really translate to print that well (hence why he talks normally in all the comics)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Larryb posted:

The link above answers it somewhat, it was apparently something his OG actor Clarence Nash came up with

And to be fair, that’s not exactly a voice that you could really translate to print that well (hence why he talks normally in all the comics)

I think originally it was Carl Barks deliberately who went away from the Nash's "Donaldvoice" in his stories, after understanding that he cannot have a character that speaks like that, when he went to do those "Duck family as an adventure group".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The funny thing is that the Kingdom Hearts games show that Anselmo can do the Donald voice in a way that's actually rather easy to understand most of the time, for some idiotic reason the DuckTales 2017 crew just insisted on him doubling down on the usual Donald voice to where it's a mostly incomprehensible mess

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I like semi-incomprensible Donald.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I... never have trouble understanding what Donald's saying, and now I'm wondering if that means something's actively wrong with my brain.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

I think originally it was Carl Barks deliberately who went away from the Nash's "Donaldvoice" in his stories, after understanding that he cannot have a character that speaks like that, when he went to do those "Duck family as an adventure group".

To be fair, the newspaper-comic-style Taliaferro* comic strips featured an intelligible Donald (and they were also the first appearance of the triplets!), and these ran before Barks's Donald career began. The voice thing is an animation bit for obvious reasons, but it's probably a better-known aspect of Donald to US folks than us Euros. Hell, even Tom Cruise knows how to do a "Donald Duck" voice :ohdear:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Except when it was the joke I always understood Donald, I blame all the Kingdom Hearts.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

nine-gear crow posted:

It's hard to tell whether DuckTales got the axe by Disney out of nowhere or if they'd always intended to end it on three seasons, because basically the only dangling plot thread that the show never wrapped up before the end was Negaduck. That one kind of went nowhere, largely because Jim Cummings' messy divorce drama basically put his career on ice for a while until it was resolved.

It's a case where they wrote every finale to serve as an ending if it needed to. I believe I remember someone mentioning what a hypothetical season 4 would have been about, although I don't remember the specifics.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

drrockso20 posted:

for some idiotic reason the DuckTales 2017 crew just insisted on him doubling down on the usual Donald voice to where it's a mostly incomprehensible mess

The only time I ever had trouble understanding Donald in DT17 was one particular line in the finale of S1 where Anselmo purposefully made it garbled for the sake of the joke.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I could've sworn it's the opposite of what drrockso20 said and there was an interview somewhere where the DT2017 crew told Tony Anselmo to tone down the Donald voice to make him more comprehensible. At the very least I had no trouble understanding compared to his appearances in older Disney shorts. He's easy to understand when he's talking to other characters and only gets unintelligible when he's doing comedy bits of losing his temper.

That said, I always thought it was sweet how Launchpad noticed Donald's mannerisms enough that he can do a decent enough impression of him to fool Scrooge's parents.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Watching the rest of the S3, the showrunners seemed to sure love Steelbeak and Don Karnage.

And overdid the FOWL, making everything towards the end about them.

EDIT: And now that I am thinking back, why was John D. Rockerduck in FOWL? He was/is immoral old money billionaire, not supervillain.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 28, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Watching the rest of the S3, the showrunners seemed to sure love Steelbeak and Don Karnage.

And overdid the FOWL, making everything towards the end about them.

EDIT: And now that I am thinking back, why was John D. Rockerduck in FOWL? He was/is immoral old money billionaire, not supervillain.

FOWL wasn’t about super villainy though, at least until the very end when Bradford stared to unravel. Bradford formed FOWL’s high command out of a collective of people who absolutely hated Scrooge McDuck but could also fly under the radar and not draw attention to themselves like Scrooge’s normal rogues gallery did. The exceptions to that were Ganda and Steelbeak, neither of which had a vendetta against the McDucks specifically and in the case of Steelbeak, was about as unsubtle as as Golmgold and Magica but still nowhere on their level.

Rockerduck joining and bankrolling FOWL does kind of track.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Okay I have a question.

Where the heck is the "21" chant that was used in the Avenger parody flashback from?

It could be completely made up, but it sounds like it's referring to something, like "23 skidoo."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

FOWL wasn’t about super villainy though, at least until the very end when Bradford stared to unravel. Bradford formed FOWL’s high command out of a collective of people who absolutely hated Scrooge McDuck but could also fly under the radar and not draw attention to themselves like Scrooge’s normal rogues gallery did. The exceptions to that were Ganda and Steelbeak, neither of which had a vendetta against the McDucks specifically and in the case of Steelbeak, was about as unsubtle as as Golmgold and Magica but still nowhere on their level.

Rockerduck joining and bankrolling FOWL does kind of track.

FOWL is an interesting one since the organisation started out as basically a reluctant alliance between one of the most classic of the old-school villains and one guy who just wanted to make all this adventure bullshit go away, and so they have a mix of classic supervillainy with a nominal focus on larceny along with the pragmatic undercover operations that were Bradford's bread and butter- leaning more towards the latter by the time of the show since Bradford's demonstrated his way of doing things clearly works. Hell, he's come closer than just about any villain in the whole duck mythos to completely defeating Scrooge at his height.

Steelbeak is mentioned to be a recent recruit in the episode that properly introduces him, iirc Black Heron mentions having broken him out of prison- presumably to serve as muscle. Similarly with the Phantom Blot and Gandra, they don't necessarily have grudges specifically against Scrooge, but they have useful skills and specialties that serve the organisation well as long as you keep an eye on them. (Not to mention, given Bradford's overall plan, he clearly intended on keeping the most dangerous people close one way or another if he could) Rockerduck likely considers membership a mutual benefit- not just for payback on Scrooge, but the organisational support to get richer, something one must presume that FOWL is perfectly fine with as long as you cut them in on it.

shades of eternity posted:

Okay I have a question.

Where the heck is the "21" chant that was used in the Avenger parody flashback from?

It could be completely made up, but it sounds like it's referring to something, like "23 skidoo."

It might be from British bingo chants. (by the way, 22 is 'two little ducks')

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Currently doing a Season 3 rewatch on "The Lost Harp of Mervana." It's kind of a hoot hearing Beast Boy and Starfire from Teen Titans Go! (Greg Cipes and Hyndon Walch) as two of the hippie Mervanans, Aletheia and Vero. Also loving Della "The only thing I fear is fish" Duck. I miss this show so very much.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

In S1 Scrooge says something akin to "this submarine doesn't have weapons"; first thing Della does after seeing fishmen is arm the warheads. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tangentially related, do we know if that Darkwing Duck reboot is still happening (I know it’s being made by a different team and likely will have nothing to do with what this show established for the characters at least)?

Also how are the IDW Ducktales comics (and have those stopped by now as well)?