Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

:siren:Twitch Drops:siren:Twitch drops make this the most generous CCG on the market. The rewards here are in addition to rewards from in game quests. Connect your Bethesda.net account to your Twitch account as seen here and watch a Twitch stream of The Elder Scrolls: Legends to get free loot at random. You will be sent a private message from a Bethesda bot telling you when you've won. The developers have been playing with the quality and frequency of the loot. I've gotten everything from 600 gold to a legendary card to 50 gold. It doesn't cost anything so you might as well have a Twitch stream set to 180p in the background when you're on your computer.

Platform: PC, Mac, Android, iOS.
TESL is an excellent CCG that sits somewhere between Magic: The Gathering and Hearthstone in complexity. It's developed by Dire Wolf of Eternal fame. The realist fantasy art is a nice change up from it's more cartoonish peers. The player base has blown the gently caress up since the mobile release and I've matched in under 10 seconds every game so get on this train.

It's free and the tutorial provides all the details you need to play so I'm not going to cover the basics here. If you've played Hearthstone, Eternal, or Shadowverse the lane and runebreaks will probably be the only unfamiliar elements.

The Lanes
There are two lanes on the play field and creatures can only attack enemy creatures in their own lane. Effects can cross lanes unless otherwise noted. The right lane will grant cover to creatures deployed there for one turn. While in cover a creature can not be attacked, although it can be targeted by spells and effects.

Runebreaks
You have 5 runes which will break when your health is reduced to 25, 20, 15, 10, and 5. This will only happen the first time your health is reduced to these numbers. When a rune breaks you draw a card. If that card has the keyword "prophecy" your opponent's turn is interrupted and you have the opportunity to play it immediately.

How to spend gold as a beginning player
Play through the entire story before you buy anything. This will net you a starting collection of cards. After that I would first aim for the Arcano or Paarthurnax deck. They are a great value at 500g each. You won't be breaking into the top 500 with these decks but they are both viable and will let you climb the ranks quite a bit if you have previous CCG experience. By the time you top out with these you will have plenty of shards and gold to make a much improved deck. IMO the rest of the decks are not nearly as strong but they are again a good gold value considering the value of the cards included. You can convert unwanted cards into a shards that can in turn be used to create cards you want.

The Dark Brotherhood story can be purchased in 3 segments that each cost 1,000g. This offers static rewards cards listed here. It's fun to play but not very long so I would only drop the 3,000 gold if you want the reward cards. Also you get a code for the exclusive Doom Wolf mount for the Elder Scrolls Online if you buy all three parts. It's like the Dire Wolf but with red eyes.

If you can play arena worth a drat it's a better investment than packs but also much more time consuming. In this mode you will draft cards instead of using one of your decks and play until you have won 9 games or lost 3. You don't get to keep the drafted cards but you will always win at least one pack. A maximum arena victory of nine wins takes a fair bit of time to play through. Quite often I just don't feel like playing that many games with the same deck and buy packs instead. Should you play versus or single player? Definitely versus. Some of the players are dumb as rocks whereas the bots are almost relentlessly cruel and will even start to use pre-constructed decks instead of drafted cards at high rank.

Colors
Card colors in this game are called attributes. A deck can only have cards coming from a maximum of two attributes, plus neutrals. Neutral cards can be used in any deck but they generally come at the price of having poor mana to performance ratios. Congratulations on the devs for choosing the least catchy color names ever.

Green/Agility: Themes include movement of creatures between lanes, lethality, pilfering cats, and instantly destroying wounded creatures.
Purple/Endurance: Largely focused on mana generation and big creatures. Also a great many "last gasp" effects on creatures.
Red/Strength: Your agro warehouse. Great mana to power ratios for creatures and some direct damage and card removal options. Also quite a few cards based on item usage or charge.
Blue/Intelligence: Hard to describe. Probably my favorite. Lot of weird cards, wards, spell cards, and combos. Excellent potential to stall the enemy so you can make it to late game.
Yellow/Willpower: King of the weenie decks. Yellow has a great deal of cards that grant bonuses to your other creatures on the field or generate token creatures.

In true Elder Scrolls fashion, every combination of two colors has also been given a name as follows:

Note that unlike MTG where almost all elves are green and almost all orcs are red, the creature types are split much more evenly among the colors in TESL.

Various Tips
A creature with lethality will instantly destroy a creature that it damages. If a creature with lethality has 0 power and is attacked by an enemy creature it will do no damage and will not destroy the attacking creature. A creature with ward will not die to a creature with lethality even if it has one or more power, although the ward will be destroyed.

Cards that cause a creature to be re-summoned or "disappear and re-appear" can be very useful. A creature that is re-summoned will lose any items or effects on it, but any Summon keyword effects will re-trigger. Some creatures have extremely valuable summon effects such as giving all creatures in your deck a bonus or destroying an enemy creature so cards such as "A Night to Remember" or "Dark Sacrifice" can act as a great power multiplier.

Shouts have 3 power levels listed on their tooltip. They start at level one by default and gain a level with each casting. There are also other ways to increase their level such as the Word Wall card.

You can silence one of your own creature to remove negative effects, although this will also remove any helpful effects.

A lane can only hold four creatures. If you try to play a fifth you will be asked to sacrifice one of the existing four. This can be an unconventional way to force last gasp effects.

There is a Skyrim expansion. When there is a Morrowind expansion we can only pray that Dire Wolf will have the foresight to include a card with a Kajit snorting moon sugar off of Caius Cosades' rock hard abs.

Useful links:
Sub-reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollslegends/
Discord
https://discordapp.com/invite/012UCXdhfuAzl0dv9
Official Forums:
https://bethesda.net/community/category/21/legends
Deck building and sharing:
https://www.legends-decks.com/

Notable Frequent Twitch Streamers(you're probably going to spend some time here for free loot if nothing else):
https://www.twitch.tv/iamcvh (my fav)
https://www.twitch.tv/mattoblivium
https://www.twitch.tv/snaxximan

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 2, 2000

Grisly Gourmet. The best card in this game, or the best card in any game? Discuss.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Oh cool, a thread for this. I have been playing since it dropped onto mobile and it has replaced Hearthstone completely as my go to casual card game (I actually uninstalled HS yesterday).

Game is pretty generous with packs for new players. The prophecy mechanic can be a bit snowbally/rngy at times but it feels far more strategic than HS. Give it a go.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
time to fight time to fight time to fight time to fight time to fight there's a plan there's always a plan time to fight

Aug 2, 2000

Hey, just be thankful the cliff racer card doesn't sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibCUQCGzmP8

flyingporcupine
Feb 21, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'd seen the game in the play store and hadn't picked it up cause I basically thought "gently caress, another ccg based off of another random ip" but I grabbed it after reading this and am pleasantly surprised at how much fun I'm having with it. Definitely turned the volume off after the first couple missions though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I love the dad storytime roar the mantikora makes when you summon it. It's so corny.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am liking a lot of the interactions in the game, and Drain is a great mechanic for control decks to stay in the fight.

Whirling Dervish + Duragar Dagger is my current favorite surprise board clear.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

I am liking a lot of the interactions in the game, and Drain is a great mechanic for control decks to stay in the fight.

Whirling Dervish + Duragar Dagger is my current favorite surprise board clear.

It's a turn 7+ only board clear, and Heroes of Skyrim really reduced the TTK in Legends. I'm finding that board control has to come early and often if you want to play a delayed win strategy, otherwise you'll find yourself with your face beaten in by turn 6 thanks to a bunch of yellow tokens, or buffed up orcs and werewolves.

Aug 2, 2000

I finally got these two on the board at the same time. Good times!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Been playing the campaign for a bit, seems interesting so far. Game gave me the shouty deck for free, so that's 500 gold saved. A couple of questions:

- There are cards that get pluses if the next card of the deck is of a given colour. Can I see this somewhere? It feels wrong that after playing the card the game tells you "yes, your next card is Green. No, you can't see what the card actually is".
- Sometimes my cards evolve after getting a second copy but sometimes they don't? I'm pretty sure I have several wolves, for example.
- Actually, how does upgrading actually work? One of your cards changes and the other copies stay the same? Is the new card included in your decks automatically? Can I get the other upgrade paths afterwards from random packs?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Been playing the campaign for a bit, seems interesting so far. Game gave me the shouty deck for free, so that's 500 gold saved. A couple of questions:

- There are cards that get pluses if the next card of the deck is of a given colour. Can I see this somewhere? It feels wrong that after playing the card the game tells you "yes, your next card is Green. No, you can't see what the card actually is".
- Sometimes my cards evolve after getting a second copy but sometimes they don't? I'm pretty sure I have several wolves, for example.
- Actually, how does upgrading actually work? One of your cards changes and the other copies stay the same? Is the new card included in your decks automatically? Can I get the other upgrade paths afterwards from random packs?
There are cards that let you see the next card in your deck. However, you just have to trust the CPU that your next card is the right color.

Card upgrades happen when you hit a certain level. You can get the upgraded version before you hit that level. Once you get the Pokemon evolution, all of your unupgraded cards become the evolved version. I don't think you can acquire the basic versions once you hit the upgrade level. Ive been at Max level for a while and I only see basic cards when I go against a noob account.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I finally got these two on the board at the same time. Good times!

Cicero's best friend is not his (night)mother, but his trusty crossbow.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 17, 2017

Aug 2, 2000

During 8/18 to 8/21 the hilarious and sometimes aggravating Chaos Arena Event is back

:siren:You get a free pack just for logging in this weekend.:siren:

Aug 2, 2000

Chaos Arena has already been good to me this morning. Two perfect runs won me back more than my entry fees and a bunch of packs. Also this:

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 19, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So, Ancano, or burning all 500 coins in Arena? Couple of times I've tried the (solo) Arena I've ended up with 6-8 victories, if that's any help*. Already have Paarthurnax.

*Also, any advice for the Arena?

Aug 2, 2000

It depends partially on how happy you are with the Paarthurnax deck and the rest of your collection. You can jump right into arena if you're happy with winning a bunch of cards but knowing that only a minority might help you right now. If you want a viable deck with different colors and a completely different play style Ancano would be a great buy, but none of the cards can be put into the Pararthurnax deck of course.

For arena I generally try to draft for pure agro and only use cards that have a very generic synergy. For example I would draft a creature that grants another creature +2/0 on summon but I wouldn't draft a creature that gives +1/+1 to orcs. Always try to have some form of removal if at all possible for the enemy heavy hitters such as Piercing Javelin, Fell the Mighty, Finish Off, etc. I also prefer to have a few cards like crushing blow that can kill potentially problematic cards with pilfer or drain hiding out in the cover lane before they can snowball. Some cards are so good that they are almost universally a good pick. If I see Soul Tear I usually take it immediately. I also prioritize cards that create card advantage. A creature that summons another creature when it dies, an action that summons two creatures, a creature that lets you draw two cards, etc. CVH has created a tier list here based on his opinions here: https://betweenthelanes.net/arena-tier-list/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

So, Ancano, or burning all 500 coins in Arena? Couple of times I've tried the (solo) Arena I've ended up with 6-8 victories, if that's any help*. Already have Paarthurnax.

*Also, any advice for the Arena?

Do you plan on running a lot of blue? Ancano is drat near a must have if you do.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

During 8/18 to 8/21 the hilarious and sometimes aggravating Chaos Arena Event is back

:siren:You get a free pack just for logging in this weekend.:siren:

Anything specific/special you had to do? I logged in but didn't see anything.

Aug 2, 2000

The event page didn't make it clear, but you won't get the free pack until after the event is over.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Do you plan on running a lot of blue? Ancano is drat near a must have if you do.

Well, so far I'm running a cheap token deck with yellow/purple because dropping 4 3/4 dudes and healing for 4 points for 4 mana makes people ragequit, but from what I've heard yellow/blue is better. I'll take a look at some decks, thanks.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The event page didn't make it clear, but you won't get the free pack until after the event is over.

Word. I haven't played this since before dark brotherhood came out, so I'm scrambling to catch up now. I used to play midrange archer mostly, although I was working towards the meta (at the time) scout build & had spellsword tokens & midrange too. I grabbed paarthurnax as my starter or whatever since that seemed to match up best with what I already had and filled in some holes in my classic collection as well.

I also picked up the intro 10x booster pack thing and opened a swims-at-night, aela and college of winterhold along with four or five various epics. Trying to get a rough idea of the meta and what I can reasonably build towards with what I've got. Probably have about 5.5k soul stone left too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oh, I also used to play a bunch of melira pod in mtg before I quit and just saw altar of despair. Are there any decent/competitive decks built around that card?

Aug 2, 2000

Hauki posted:

Word. I haven't played this since before dark brotherhood came out, so I'm scrambling to catch up now. I used to play midrange archer mostly, although I was working towards the meta (at the time) scout build & had spellsword tokens & midrange too. I grabbed paarthurnax as my starter or whatever since that seemed to match up best with what I already had and filled in some holes in my classic collection as well.

I also picked up the intro 10x booster pack thing and opened a swims-at-night, aela and college of winterhold along with four or five various epics. Trying to get a rough idea of the meta and what I can reasonably build towards with what I've got. Probably have about 5.5k soul stone left too.
Ramp scout is extremely powerful in the meta right now and it looks like you're well positioned to go for that. These decks rely on quickly pumping up your mana with the various Argonian cards so you can bring out the higher cost cards. Some examples are here:
https://www.legends-decks.com/decks/scout

Altar of despair, I don't know. It's one of those cards I have also wondered about but I haven't looked into decks built around it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hauki posted:

Oh, I also used to play a bunch of melira pod in mtg before I quit and just saw altar of despair. Are there any decent/competitive decks built around that card?

Not really. The current meta favors speed. Sometimes you can win with a slower deck if you can win without having any cards remain in play, but Altar of Despair is SLOOOOOOW. Any deck that runs on that can only get semi-reliably started on turn 5 due to the cost of mana ramp cards, and that's assuming you get your mana ramp and an altar of despair in your opening turns, AND at least one creature has to survive to turn 5 for you to pop the altar as soon as you play it. A turn 4 play is possible, but it takes 3 of a single 2 cost mana ramp creature, and that is an amazingly unlikely scenario. We're probably talking a fatal car accident is more likely. Altar of despair is a hell of a lot of fun to play with when it works, but fast decks, or decks that have a powerful delay strategy are the meta right now.

Aug 2, 2000

Patch is here and with it comes some hot and spicy balance changes.
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/86946/game-update-66-1-release-notes

Soul Tear was definitely in for a nerf. It's cost has been increased from two to three. While I think the card was overpowered this will not fix my primary problem with it, which is ramp scouts casting godamn Parthurnaax 3 times. That late in the game your primary shortage is card advantage, not magicka. I know I don't use Soul Tear early in the game unless I'm in really dire straights and nothing else will help me.

Shadowmere was bugged so it wasn't getting reshuffled into the deck on death, which is now fixed.

Supreme Atromancer was changed from 9 to 10 magicka.

Thief of Dreams changed from 5/5 to 4/4. Booooooo!

Various other changes in the notes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Tear was definitely in for a nerf. It's cost has been increased from two to three. While I think the card was overpowered this will not fix my primary problem with it, which is ramp scouts casting godamn Parthurnaax 3 times. That late in the game your primary shortage is card advantage, not magicka. I know I don't use Soul Tear early in the game unless I'm in really dire straights and nothing else will help me.

Wabbajack.

Mummify.

Arrest.

Waves of the fallen.

Miraak.

All of those cards are hard counters to resurrected legends.

Of course, a well tuned aggro deck is also a good counter to Parthurnaax recycling, as you're going for the kill before he can make it into play.

I'm currently running a moderately successful Mage Deck that often wins using my opponent's creatures against him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I finally made it to legends rank in the ladder, and I did it exclusively with a Mage deck.

The first iterations of it screamed up the ladder from 5 to 1, but when I hit rank 1 I hit a wall and my win rate dropped to just below 50%. You can't get anything done like that.

So I went through several iterations of the idea, because I didn't want to believe that it didn't have promise. I tried more prophecies, more life gain, cheaper stuff, more expensive stuff, until I finally settled on this. I completely got rid of any inherent life gain, and I abandoned the supreme atromancer, as they were bloating my deck and didn't actually counter any of the dominant play styles. This deck can sometimes be at the mercy of the RNG, since if I don't get the hard counter I need against the right deck. For example: ice storms do nothing against scout ramp, vicious dreughs are worthless against decks with no supports, and weenie decks typically laugh at the idea of creature theft. With that said, my deck can and does win without any single one of its concepts, and if they're all working together at the right time, this thing is like an anaconda.

Even if I don't get a rad combo off, activating Ancano's ability 4 times in a single turn is capable of winning a match all on its own.

Anyhow, here's the deck:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/859480077946196988/53A768349BAA16AEFC8943781F436702D1FB8B12/

I expect that the next big meta will make it obsolete soon enough.

Aug 2, 2000

I don't hate Paarthurnax so much for the creature itself, but the 3 free shouts. I usually run red agro and have a Fell the Mighty for his rear end but it's hard to make a comeback late game if the opponent unsummons all of your poo poo twice in rapid succession.

Nice mage deck. My current project is making a gimmick Dwermer deck for casual play.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I don't hate Paarthurnax so much for the creature itself, but the 3 free shouts. I usually run red agro and have a Fell the Mighty for his rear end but it's hard to make a comeback late game if the opponent unsummons all of your poo poo twice in rapid succession.

Nice mage deck. My current project is making a gimmick Dwermer deck for casual play.

There's only three ways to handle parth. You either kill your opponent before his recycling matters, you steal him, or you turn him into something else.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

how often do the stream rewards trigger? I've been watching continuously for the past five days or so and haven't gotten a loving thing since thursday morning at like 6 am, so I'm not too inclined to continue doing so if I'm just burning electricity etc. for no real reason

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The future is doomed to be nothing but card games about games.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hauki posted:

how often do the stream rewards trigger? I've been watching continuously for the past five days or so and haven't gotten a loving thing since thursday morning at like 6 am, so I'm not too inclined to continue doing so if I'm just burning electricity etc. for no real reason

I got one in about that same number of days but fewer hours.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I got one in about that same number of days but fewer hours.

Yeah, I finally got one just now, so about 80ish hours straight through? At least it was a legendary.

Aug 2, 2000

This new card was the season reward:

That's a pretty impressive value for 7 magicka and the card art is cool too.

9/2 to 9/5 there is an Epic Rumble Event with some extra prizes based on your number of wins relative to other players, in addition to the regular prizes for each individual run.
https://legends.bethesda.net/articles/epic-rumble-september?locale=en

Hauki
May 11, 2010

man i left a stream running at 160p on and off all weekend and come home to 3300 gems, 2 legendary packs and 800 gold

Aug 2, 2000

Dang, that's a pretty good take. I've just discovered that keeping like four streams opens gives more consistent rewards than one. Since I've started doing that I've gotten rewards every day.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dang, that's a pretty good take. I've just discovered that keeping like four streams opens gives more consistent rewards than one. Since I've started doing that I've gotten rewards every day.

Huh, interesting. I'm assuming it was just because of the double drop weekend or whatever, although I did get another 600g this morning. Popped Odahviing in one of my legendary packs and I've got about 11k soulstone now so I could probably make just about any deck if I could figure out what I want to play. I've had no time to actually get any games in lately in any case.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hauki posted:

man i left a stream running at 160p on and off all weekend and come home to 3300 gems, 2 legendary packs and 800 gold

I'm doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

This new card was the season reward:

That's a pretty impressive value for 7 magicka and the card art is cool too.

9/2 to 9/5 there is an Epic Rumble Event with some extra prizes based on your number of wins relative to other players, in addition to the regular prizes for each individual run.
https://legends.bethesda.net/articles/epic-rumble-september?locale=en

Pureblood Elder is kind of sad in arena though. I mean, it's still a 7 mana 8/8, the common one is perfectly playable and therefore so is the elder, but man are there some better epics.

I really like draft formats in any card game and ESL's is no exception. I also seem to be better at it than at Hearthstone's (or the other players are worse :v: ). Admittedly a lot of the skills from HS are transferrable.

• Locked thread