Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sommerswerd

Also, surprise the rear end in a top hat that wanted to kill most of the planet with a plague was a total rear end in a top hat! I am shocked, shocked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Let's go for two dumb deaths in two posts. See what they do.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We Have a Sommerswerd and We Wish to Use it!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Let's go for two dumb deaths in two posts. See what they do.

Technically using the Sommerswerd would be dumber because I can count on one hand how many times using the Sommerswerd when prompted hasn't hosed us in the last twelve books but eh.

It would also be colossally retarded to unavoidably screw us for not having it *counts* nineteen books from when we got it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Materant posted:

It would also be colossally retarded to unavoidably screw us for not having it *counts* nineteen books from when we got it.

Isn’t this book 20 and we got the Swerd in book 2?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Materant posted:

Skarn-Ska is also an option here if you have it (ie. if you don't have the Sommerswerd). You could have chosen not to take it, but I have no idea why anyone would.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Sommerswerd

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Weren't we specifically warned not to use the Sommerswerd? Let's use it and see what happens.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Let's wait and see.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guy Fawkes posted:

Let's wait and see.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiggum posted:

Skarn-Ska is also an option here if you have it (ie. if you don't have the Sommerswerd). You could have chosen not to take it, but I have no idea why anyone would.

What about Skarn-Reggae?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Let's wait and see.

The Curse of Naar posted:

You sense that your physical presence within this throne hall is causing the Künae a great deal of discomfort. You detect them psychically probing your mind in an effort to discover your identity and, when you repulse these intrusions, you feel a surge of anxiety in the mental communication that is passing between them. The creature seated upon the left throne becomes agitated and begins to flail the foul air with its snaky limbs. Then it utters a sinister command to its partner and you hear the words echo in your mind: Slay him, Jantoor!

The creature seated upon the right throne responds immediately. It raises its right limb and a gout of fire shoots from the palm of its leprous hand and comes speeding towards your chest.

We roll: 2 + 1 (G. Huntmastery) = 3.

You attempt to dodge the onrushing lance of flame but it glances your shoulder and sends you tumbling backwards across the hall’s slimy floor.

We roll: 6 - 1 (Deliverance) = 5.
Endurance: 46.

Aware now that the Lord of Decay seated on the right-hand throne is Jantoor, you stagger to your feet and shout his secret name. Immediately the creature becomes immobile. The sight of his frozen form—and the sudden cessation of mind contact—throws his brother-lord into a state of panic and confusion. In a blind rage he utters a curse and, to your horror, you see the maggot swarm emerge from the shadowy recesses of the hall. As the larvae writhe towards you they begin to swell grotesquely in size.

If you are to save yourself from this monstrous horde you must quickly use the secret name of the remaining Künae. But there is no time to consult the Tome of Darkness: you must try to recall the name from memory.
Time for some Lone Wolf trivia:

Where are the following cities located?
  • Varetta
  • Tyso
  • Elzian

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Varetta - The Stornlands
Tyso - The Lastlands
Elzian - The Magiocracy of Dessi

nelson fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 20, 2018

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Varetta - The Stornlands
Tyso - The Lastlands
Elzian - The Magiocracy of Dessi

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Do people actually know this stuff about the world of Lone Wolf offhand? Because it's all just a blur to me!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maugrim posted:

Do people actually know this stuff about the world of Lone Wolf offhand? Because it's all just a blur to me!
Varetta is the place you're trying to get to for most of book six, which takes place entirely in the Stornlands. Elzian is the capital of Dessi and gets mentioned a few times throughout the series. Tyso is mentioned less often but we've been there recently and if you spent any time looking at the maps then you would have seen it on a few of them.

But it is quite difficult trying to come up with questions that aren't too obvious or too esoteric.

You shout the name ‘Rhunadan’ and the remaining Künae immediately ceases to move. All trace of its psychic energy vanishes and its flailing limbs become frozen in mid-air, lending it the semblance of a petrified tree. The advancing horde of maggots rapidly shrink to their former size and retreat before you, seeking the safety of the hall’s furthest corners. The power which drove them and caused them to mutate has suddenly disappeared and they are thrown into chaos. You stride towards the carcass and swallow hard as you step through the ancient rotting remains that ooze from its rib cage. You raise your weapon and, with one swift blow, you sever the fingers of the Künae’s right hand and quickly retrieve the gold ring.

Suddenly, a squeal of hinges draws your attention to the great portal on the far side of the hall. It swings open to reveal an angry horde of corpse-creatures who stagger into the chamber and come surging towards the carcass. They are the Dregants, a decomposing army of humanoids enslaved to the Künae. They have sensed their rulers’ plight and have flooded here in their hundreds to protect them. Desperate to escape from this ghoulish host, you turn and leap feet-first into the cave-like hole that occupies the belly of the carcass.

Curing: +1 EP (47/51).

Upon entering the tunnel, the ground disappears beneath your feet and you begin to fall through darkness towards a pale speck of greyish light far below. You are gripped instantly by the fear that you have unwittingly stepped into a deep pit, yet your descent is uncannily smooth and controlled. It is as if you are being lowered by an invisible cable down a dark, interminable mineshaft.

As you slowly descend, your fear subsides and you take the opportunity to look at the ring which you cut from the hand of the Künae. It radiates its own dim light by which you can see a runic inscription carved on the inside of the band. Record this Künae Ring on your Action Chart as a Special Item, which you keep in your pocket. The runic number on its band is 20. Make a note of this number in the margin of your Action Chart for future reference.

After what seems like more than an hour, you eventually reach the base of this dark shaft. Your feet hit solid ground with more force than you are expecting after the long and gentle descent, and the violent jolt of impact leaves you sprawled in the dust, stunned and gasping for breath: lose 2 ENDURANCE points.

Dragging yourself wearily to your feet, you inspect your new surroundings with a feeling of curiosity and apprehension. You have emerged in a deep mine tunnel that passes through ore-rich rock. The reek of iron, sulphur, and rust assails your nostrils: a pungent aroma but one that smells as sweet as spring in Sommerlund after the indescribable stench of the Hall of the Künae. You scan the tunnel in both directions and use your Kai senses to gather information. The faint sounds of hammering and scraping can be heard coming from somewhere above, and the symmetrical grooves which scar the tunnel walls tell you that this passage was excavated by some sort of gigantic burrowing machine. Feeling certain that you have entered a new realm of the Plane of Darkness, you are about to consult the Tome of Darkness when suddenly you hear a noise along the tunnel away to your right. Something huge is approaching at great speed.

Endurance: 45/51.

Your improved Grand Huntmastery enables you to detect the outline of a large creature approaching through the tunnel. Viewed from the front it has the appearance of a gigantic beetle, but one with hundreds of stubby legs that are moving in rapid waves like those of a millipede. You sense that it is a living creature and not a mechanical device, and that it is approaching at a terrific pace. Its width almost completely fills the tunnel and, unless you take immediate steps to avoid it, you could be knocked down and crushed as it passes through this section.

Curing: +1 EP (46/51).
Do we run or try to find somewhere to hide?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 20, 2018

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I've seen this. Was it in Labyrinth? RUN[

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
HIDE!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Comstar posted:

Nah it's an Ohm. I agree with the RUN part though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RUN!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

I was thinking Futurama.

You sprint along the tunnel, away from the thunderous noise, and as you run you feel the temperature in this dusty passageway steadily rising. You veer around a shallow bend and see a junction less than a hundred yards ahead where another tunnel meets this one from the right. Displaced air is now rushing past you, whipping at your hair and cloak, and the rumbling noise has grown until it has become almost deafening. Drawing on your reserves of strength and stamina, you fix your eyes on the distant junction and race towards it as fast as you can.

Curing: +1 EP (47/51).

You recite the words of the Brotherhood Spell Teleport as you run, and the moment you complete the recitation you feel your feet losing contact with the ground. You will yourself forwards and swiftly you glide along the passageway before swerving to enter the adjoining tunnel (Lose 1 ENDURANCE point). A few seconds later the gigantic beetle-creature thunders past in a cloud of dust, hauling a long line of ore wagons in its wake. Some of these heavy wagons are empty but the majority are piled high with grey metallic rock. This ore load is heavily veined with a mineral which radiates a yellow luminescence.

Endurance: 46/51.
Do we jump into a passing wagon or just wait for them to pass by?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait. I'd rather not get a mutation just now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Everyone knows that adventurers always hide in minecarts when infiltrating an enemy mine.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Jump!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm actually good with waiting and not jumping into the cart full of uranium.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Might as well jump!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mikl posted:

Everyone knows that adventurers always hide in minecarts when infiltrating an enemy mine.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

wiegieman posted:

I'm actually good with waiting and not jumping into the cart full of uranium.

Counterpoint: nexus seems to protect us from most poo poo like that. Dive in!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If there's a chance of us becoming an indestructible irradiated monster fuelled by pure rage, we should take it. Jump in.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Might as well.

You make a brave leap for the last wagon in the line and land among its cargo of glowing ore with a stunning jolt: lose 2 ENDURANCE points. This wagon is only partially filled and you are able to stay hidden as it trundles on its way. You soon pass a junction where another tunnel joins with this main passageway, and from here onwards you feel the temperature steadily rising. Although your Platinum Amulet protects you from the increasing heat, your senses warn you that you are in grave and ever-increasing danger. The ore in this wagon is highly radioactive and your Kai skills and amulet can afford you only limited protection from its deadly gamma rays.

Fearful of this deadly cargo, you haul yourself over the rear of the wagon and get ready to abandon your ride. Your pulse races in anticipation of the jump for the wagon is moving at high speed and the rocky tunnel floor is no more than a speeding blur just inches below your feet.

Endurance: 44/51.
We roll: 5 + 1 (G. Pathsmanship) + 1 (G. Huntmastery) = 7.

As you are getting ready to leap from the rear of the wagon, you suddenly feel your stomach tighten and the skin on your face and hands becomes sore and inflamed. You sense that you are succumbing to the insidious effects of the radioactive ore and, rather than wait a moment longer, you make your jump before you are fully ready.

You hit the tunnel floor with bone-shuddering force, and even though you cover your head and roll expertly to lessen the shock of impact, you suffer painful injuries to your shoulders, knees, and elbows: lose 4 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 40/51.

You pull yourself to your feet and listen to the ore train as it disappears into the distant gloom with a sound like dying thunder. When you can no longer hear its rumble, you walk back along the tunnel to the junction where a new passageway branches off to the left. Your gnawing desire to find the Moonstone prompts you to explore this tunnel and you follow it for several hundred yards until you reach a dank and empty cavern. Streams of ore-rich water run down the walls of this chamber, staining them a rusty shade of brown. You are hungry and you decide to stop and rest here for a while. Unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

While you are resting, you decide to consult the Tome of Darkness to see if it has any useful information about this strange subterranean complex.

Curing: +1 EP (41/51).

You retrieve the book from your Backpack and thumb through its shiny blank pages until you discover two pages that have changed both in colour and texture. A cluster of rust-red lettering is enclosed within the black runic borders that outline these two sheets of creamy parchment. Once again, using your Magnakai Discipline of Pathsmanship, you study the complex text and are able to decipher much of its meaning.

The words tell of Zantaz, the Lord of the Pit, whose many accompanying titles include Reaper of Gloom, Armourer of the Fell Legions, and Guardian of the Gate of Dragonflame. It says that he presides over a ‘deep realm of rock, iron, steel, and flame’, and that among the many eternal duties he has been set by Naar, his primary task is to forge weapons of power for the Dark God’s champions. Zantaz has no secret name, but you are able to translate the text which details how one can leave his domain. It makes for uneasy reading. The Tome states that any who wish to depart must first ‘defeat Zantaz in mortal combat and cast his body into the Pit of Darkflame, from whence he shall be reborn’. Only by proving oneself worthy in combat against Zantaz can one cause ‘the Gate of Dragonflame to release the worthy victor’. The name ‘Zantaz’ is vaguely familiar; you are sure that you have heard it before. As you ponder the remaining text which lists his infamous deeds, you suddenly recall where it was that you heard his name spoken. It was many years ago, while you were still an initiate at the Kai Monastery, and your old tutor, Storm Hawk, was lecturing your class about the Drakkarim: the barbarian race of humanoids whose conquests in Northern Magnamund preceded the rise of the Darklords of Helgedad. Zantaz was the name of the warrior-god whom the Drakkarim worshipped.

Feeling a little unnerved by what you have discovered and remembered, you close the Tome and slip it back into your pack. You sense that the Moonstone is not to be found here in this domain of tunnels, and so you resolve to escape from here as soon as possible. But if you are to do so successfully, it seems you will first have to find and defeat Zantaz, the warrior-god of the Drakkarim.

You get to your feet and continue along the tunnel which leads out of the empty cavern. You follow this passageway for several hundred yards until you arrive at a junction where another tunnel crosses your path from right to left. Cautiously you scan the tunnel in both directions and notice that away to your right, little more than twenty yards distant, is an open archway. Although you can sense no living presence, the angle of view and the darkness of the interior prevent you from determining what lies beyond this archway. To your left, your tracking skills reveal that the tunnel leads eventually to a dead end.

Curing: +1 EP (42/51).
Shall we investigate the archway (right) or stick to the main tunnel (forward)?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Archway

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Main tunnel!. Keep moving forward.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You approach the archway, and after checking that there are no hidden traps, you enter. Beyond lies a vast unlit hall which is filled with rows of weapons and armour. Racks of swords, spears, axes, and shields stretch into the distance as far as your keen eyes can see. Most are crudely forged and of alien design, yet the sheer number of weapons contained within this hall is enough to take your breath away.

Of the thousands of weapons contained in the racks nearest to the archway, you discover the following that are of adequate quality:
  • Sword
  • Spear
  • Axe
  • Broadsword
  • Arrows
  • Bow
If you wish to take and keep any of the above weapons, remember to make the appropriate changes to your Action Chart. The number of Arrows you can take is limited by the space currently available in your Quiver(s).

You leave this armoury and continue your exploration of the tunnel.

Curing: +1 EP (43/51).

For countless hours you follow this tunnel as it ascends and descends by ramps and stairways through a bewildering maze of chambers, vaults, and grand halls. On your travels through this vast underworld you witness many awe-inspiring sights: huge subterranean quarries, blazing furnaces, armouries, weapon forges, steel mills, and white-hot lava pits. Armies of grey-skinned humanoid workers labour without rest within this hellish domain to manufacture weapons of war and destruction.

At one vast hall you stop to observe a legion of these creatures tapping the volcanic power which lies at the core of this realm. By a system of chutes and tubes they divert a blazing lava flow to turn gigantic wheels and heat titanic vats of noxious fluids. The workers, although physically similar in size and demeanour to Drakkarim, seem to lack consciousness and remain oblivious to your presence. It is as if they have been turned into unthinking automatons, programmed simply to perform their labour with little regard to their immediate surroundings.

You leave the hall and ascend a staircase which spirals hundreds of feet through solid rock to a titanic concourse. Here your senses detect a living presence and you allow your Kai instincts to lead you in pursuit of it. You enter a tunnel which branches away from the concourse and follow this to a wider passage. The walls of this passage are decorated with spectacular scenes of war and destruction. Thousands of troops fight an endless parade of battles across the landscapes of a hundred different worlds. In each of the scenes the theme and the outcome is identical: the victory of the superior forces of Evil over the inferior armies of Good. This callous celebration of evil military might infuriates you, but you control your anger and use it to sharpen your senses. You detect that somewhere at the end of this passage is where the living presence can be found and, not knowing the nature of what it is that you will find there, you approach with the utmost caution.

The passage ends at a vast chasm where a narrow bridge of rock crosses a yawning void to a gate located on the far side, some 300 yards distant. The gate and its surroundings have been fashioned to resemble the mouth and head of a ferocious dragon, and the bridge of rock is likewise carved to resemble its extended tongue. A shimmering, twinkling, blue-white light gleams from the mouth of the dragon-gate, revealing it to be the exit from this dark domain. Excited by your discovery, you step onto the narrow rock-bridge and make your way across to the far side as swiftly as you dare. On either side of this stone beam the chasm falls away into a seemingly bottomless pit. You try not to look down for the sight makes your stomach churn uncontrollably.

You are nearing the centre of the bridge when suddenly a dark and terrifying apparition manifests itself before the dragon-gate. This awesome sight brings you skidding to a halt.

Curing: +1 EP (44/51).

Before the dragon-gate stands an armoured colossus. Clad from horned helm to booted foot in glowing black plate armour, this mighty warrior stands a full arm’s length taller than yourself and radiates an evil so intense that you feel your skin crawling with fear and revulsion. In his right hand he wields a broadsword carved with runes of power, and in his left a dagger that bleeds scarlet venom. He raises the sword and spears of blue lightning arc from the surrounding chasm wall to earth themselves upon the hilt of his unholy blade. You launch a psychic probe to test the mental defences of this god-like warrior and you are shocked when you fail to locate his Mindforce. You sense that this being is a living entity, and that he is the source of the power that has drawn you to this chasm, yet it is as if his mind has been erased. He has the psyche of an automaton: cold, brutal, and utterly unhuman. His mental state presents a formidable defence against your powerful psychic abilities, rendering them near-useless. Yet where your psychic skills may fail, your agility and your mastery of conventional combat may prove especially effective against this hulking foe.

Curing: +1 EP (45/51).
Shall we use our bow or draw our sword?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We have a Bow and we wish to use it!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm not sure if that is the best or worst codpiece ever.

WHABAWTUI.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

anakha posted:

WHABAWTUI.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

anakha posted:

WHABAWTUI.

vagina dentata!
what a wonderful phrase!
vagina dentata!
ain't no passing craze!

anyway, since I'm playing the old hits, WHABAWTUI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm sad that piling all those radioactive rocks into a self sustaining reaction was not an option available to Lone Wolf.