Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

It was the last evening before calibration, and the sun was approaching the horizon, and yet no stars shone and no moon rose; neither star nor moon nor sun would be seen again for five days and five nights. All around wu-jian, there was a strange tension in the air, somewhere between dread and merryment. Dread, for calibration is a time of demons and hungry dead; merryment, for it is also a time of gods, fleeting last farewells to long-dead loved ones, and celebration and the breaking of taboo. in every alley and on every street and corner, masked people walked about, singing and drinking and taking the merryment in advance, while lanterns and candles in every colour were being lit in windows, on half-cumbled balconies and doorsteps and being hung across roads and between buildings. The masks would protect the people from demons, or so it was hoped, and protect their wearers from their wives and husbands and friends as they indulged themselves in the many taboos that could be broken during calibration. The lanterns and candles would cover the city in splendour an light; both to confuse the demons, that they would think they had broken into yu-shan and hurry back to hell, and to provide light for the festivities in the twilit calibration week.

At the exact moment the last fraction of the sun disapeared to just beneath the horizon, where it would stay, a message appeared to five people in the city, in strange and mysterious ways. A scroll found in a pocket; words written in the exhalation on a mirror, or in frozen-over tea, or as momentary shadows cast by red and blue lanterns. To all five people, the chosen of the sun, the message was the same. "Meet me by the water, in the shadow of the Red-Blue pearl, O prince of the Earth." Uncommonly straightforward for the cryptic nature of the message. The red-blue pearl was a well-known pirate vessel-turned-healing house, where sorcerer-masseuses and children of Shennon the golden-handed, god of massage, would heal and soothe even the worst of injuries.
How do you react?

Aaaand we're off! to start with, i want you all to tell me where your exalt is that the moment calibration propper begins, how you get the message, and how you react to it. You're welcome to make inquries and preparations,
of course, but you should probably all end up going to the place and meet the mysterious sender of the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Fragrant Autumn Leaves

Fragrant Autumn Leaves sits in a "teahouse", although one where very little tea is in evidence. The place serves rotgut, stuff that'll burn through your tongue if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, you'll have to taste it. Still, it's booze, and there's gambling, and at this moment, that's really all he needs. He had noticed that, after his exultation. It wasn't that he couldn't get drunk. He could, most definitely, as he knew from experience, get drunk. But it seemed to have less of a hold on him. It was harder to get drunk and he could sober up more quickly. He wasn't sure if that was really what was happening, or if it was all just an illusion. But it seemed to be so. Still, drunk would be a good place to be during calibration, of all times.

He was pouring from his bottle when he heard a thunk in his cup. He reached in and pulled out a... stone? It seemed to be a stone. But who wrote on stone? And such small characters? He puzzles out the words. The red-blue pearl? That temple to Shennon? That's what it's called, anyway. The place had been a pirate ship, until the captain, seriously injured while pirating, had sworn an oath that she would dedicate himself to Shennon if she were healed, and made her crew swear the same. So now it was a pirate ship no more, but a temple, with the captain the abbess, and her crew, Shennon's monks and nuns.

But why invite him to go there? And why in such a cryptic fashion? And Prince of the Earth? Fragrant Autumn Leaves wasn't a prince of anything, and that wasn't even a nickname solars favored....prince of the sun, or child of the sun, maybe. Prince of the Earth was a term for Dragonbloods. They were the ones who claimed descent from the Elemental Dragons, if that was to be believed. He would go, but he didn't trust it. He'd make preparations first.

Before I go to the Red-blue pearl, can I use socialize to get some more info about people and groups that are known to meet there?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Nice Kien

Nice Kien is the last in a long line of people marching in the Street of Blind Artificers, holding up a pole attached to one segment of a writhing emerald paper dragon. She likes Calibration. In her previous life, the intercalendar period, it had been the busiest period of the lunar year; a time when the machinery of numerology and horoscopology failed, when the figures failed to add up, when ancient spells ceased to guard hallowed manses, when all men might wear masks and every neighbor might be an enemy. It was, not to put it bluntly, crunch week for assassins. In fact, just this morning, she had foiled a plot by members of her old monastery to kill her in her bed; not realizing that they had only stumbled upon one of her redundant decoy beds, and that she had been sleeping, as was her wont, in a secluded awning hammock overlooking the slum's entrance. She had left them to her frustrations, since she hadn't yet worked up the nerve to kill any of her former comrades. How many of them were still true believers, as she had been?

So instead she had slipped away and joined in the milling crowds celebrating year's end. A few yards of colorful silk added to her scholar's habit made for a Calibration costume, and she purchased a black upper face mask shrouded with white egret feathers, and after that it was a simple task to slip into the line of marchers and grasp a poll dropped by a woman who stumbled away seeking strong drink. Kien discovered, to her surprise, that it was fun to move in a line, waving her stick to make the colorful serpent dance to the delight of children in the crowd. She was so intent on this new game that she almost didn't notice the other serpent-march, this one red, coming down the street in their direction. When the two parades met, teach one gave off a spray of firecrackers, marking a line between them, and then the participants in the dragon march began to move and undulate, making the dragons dance in mock battle. Kien didn't know the steps, but it seemed intiutive enough, and she was enjoying herself immensely right up to the point where the red dragon's undulations began to spell out a message in Old Realm glyphs.

Hmmm. This was new. She was, of course, used to reading Creation's personal messages to her in hidden numbers and symbols, but it wasn't usually this... blunt. No one else seemed to be noticing it, though; perhaps they had neglected their ancient language studies?

When the dragon dance ended in a draw, Kien let slip her pole and wandered away into the crowd, headed for the docks. She approached the Red-Blue Pearl in darkness by the simple expedient of running across the masts and spars of other ship's berthed near it, until she was crouched in a crow's nest next to a dead drunk sailor, looking down on the ship and toying with her abacus. She didn't think it was a trap -- you hardly ever got invited to traps. It was just against her nature to be seen standing anywhere out in the open. What was going to happen next?

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 19, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Fragrant Autumn Leaves

He had asked around about the Red Blue Pearl. It was a hangout for whores and smugglers. Now, that was a shock. They were monks and nuns now, but they kept to their old habits. It made him wonder. Could people change? Or did they stay the same, just in different circumstances. It was sobering. He had dedicated himself to justice, to the possibility that there could be righteousness in the world, and that people could reform. But what if that were a lie? What if this were just the natural way of things. Because, of course, prostitution and smuggling didn't just happen in dives like this one. It happened all up and down the ladder. The rich just made it look nicer.

So was this what it was about? Some big smuggling job or something, carried out in the darkness of Calibration, with a Solar needed out of fear of hungry ghosts? Was that what he was reduced to? A heavy for a gang of smugglers? Still, it wouldn't hurt to hear them out, he supposed. He grabbed his cloak and went out into the revelry.

[i'Going to the Red Blue Pearl[/i]

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Sofia wandered the increasingly restless walkways. Though many feared it, the calibration was a time of great excitement for her. Even setting aside the more general pleasures, there was no shortage of merchants, bold and stupid in equal measure, taking advantage of the chaos to peddle forbidden wares. It was a grand opportunity to expand her knowledge.

Just as she was about peruse one such stall, she noticed as shadow in her eye. Or a movement, perhaps? Normally that would not be cause for concern, but somehow it gave Sofia pause. Just as she was about to push it out of her mind, a small tea leaf fluttered down right in front of her, landing squarely in her palm. This circumstance was somewhat odd already - after all, who would just waste tea leaves like this? Much more surprising, however, was a message in the language of the Old Realm carved into the face of the leaf.

"Huh... how very bizarre," Sofia mused aloud, unconcerned with anyone overhearing her. On the contrary, she had somewhat hoped the sender would hear her and appear to give further explanation, but after a moment it was clear that wouldn't be happening.

Should she ignore this invitation? Quite frankly, she was tempted, as anyone willing to go to such lengths to be mysterious was likely to be the dangerous sort. On the other hand, it was not in her nature to bluntly refuse people without even hearing them out. That would just be rude, after all.

Placing the leaf in a fold in her sleeve, Sofia changed her course to the Red-Blue Pearl, lightly humming to herself as an excitement filled her chest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wolf of the Pits

Wolf and August Petals sat on a dilapidated roof in one of the more slummy areas of Wu-Jian, watching as the sun sank and the festivities began. This was a time when the order of things broke down, a perfect time for the oppressed peoples of creation to lift their shackles, if only for 5 days.

Just as the Sun set, and all grew dark, a fancifully designed kite fluttered past and became stuck in a rusted weathervane. A note stuck in the kites tail flapped in the wind before breaking off to drift into the hands of Wolf. The pair read the letter and were intrigued. "Is this a letter for you, Wolf? or was it meant for someone else and fell into our hands instead?" asked August Petals. "More importantly," Wolf said "Is it meant to be a trap for the reader? A lure or an offer, which it is can only be determined by going to the meeting."

"So you intend to go?" said August, "Of course, I am intrigued by the letter, and if nothing else we shall crash someones party as unintentionally invited guests." replied Wolf.

With the the pair head down into the crowds of Wu-Jian, heading for the Red-Blue Pearl, and Destiny.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sphar Kell

The Forge of the Resplendent Stellar Blossoms was cold and empty, with August Nemun having seen to sealing it up before departing for the Calibration festivities. So, Sphar Kell turned to the streets, the gleam of orichalcum concealed beneath a darkened cloak to lend the appearance of warding off the sunless chill. Except... What was this, stitched into the cloak's lining?

pre:
Hand Wash Only
Use the detergent sold by the masters of the scintillating garment on Tanner Street.
Meet me by the water, in the shadow of the Red-Blue pearl, O prince of the Earth.
Curious. A strange way to be contacted, but not beyond the limits of the possible. Donning the cloak, he set forth into the city, helm tucked away to let him smile at the festivities as he went, a holiday in the truest sense of the word from his self-appointed task at the Forge. As much as he itched to make more fresh wonders, without the local god it would prove beyond him for now. and so he was determined to revel, as the revelry called for. He stopped off to purchase a spicy meat skewer from a vendor, chewing it as he chewed over the strange message. Several folks knew what he was, given the actions that had liberated the Forge in the first place, but none of them struck him as likely messengers. Time to solve that little mystery.

Onwards, to the Red-Blue pearl!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

The red-blue pearl, a former pirate vessel, was lively during calibration. Already people were being carried in for healing massages, wounded in drunken brawls or simply having hit their heads in the dim lights, while the temle sold a variety of talismans and charms to ward of evil spirits. The revelers walking along the harbor, carrying people to the pearl or drinking or dancing or making out in dark corners, did not see the 6 people gathering behind it, in its shadow. It was a strange shadow, too; dim lanterns from the other ships should penetrate it, but they did not, and it fell to cover much more of the habor than one would think strictly possible. It was not supernaturally dark, and would not impede a fight for long, but did seem to fall perfectly to coceal a small group of people. The various members of this meeting all arived simultaneously, more or less. But before anyone could speak for long, beyond a simple introduction or a question at most, a 7th figure stepped from the shadow. The figure was clad in dark clothes of no particular style or cut, and a face of no particular features, hair of no particular lengh or cut, eyes of no particular colour and a voice of no particular tone or sound, and was, in every way unremarkable. They bowed to the collected heroes.
"Thank you for showing up," They said. "I am called Uncounted Days. I bring you gifts, a warning, and a plea for your help." At this, they took from a bag of no particular size or shape, 5 items, each wrapped in silk. "I am sorry that i have not contacted you before," they continued, "but my powers are highly... limited." As they spoke, they passed among the solars, and handed each of them one of the items wrapped in silk.

Sphar, when he unfolds his, will find an ever-shifting moonsilver tablet recording various ancient techniques by which oricalchum weapons can be forged. It seems oddly familiar.
The wolf will find a pair of rings, forged in white jade. They seems oddly familiar.
Sophia, a book of names, each listing the name and skill of a paricular demon or demons; written in Old Realm. It seems oddly familiar
Fragrant Autummn leaves, a crystaline box of green firedust. It seems oddly familiar.
Nice Kien, an acabus with an oricalcum frame, starmetal wires and beads of the rarest darkest ebony. It seems oddly familiar.

"In any case, the warning, passed from my patron, is this: Know, O Lawgivers of Old, Chosen of the Sun, that dark and ancient forces move beneath Wu-jian. Long have the machinations of your forebearers held them, but eons have weakened their prison and their warden cannot interfere. By sunrise of the first day of the year, they will have overturned Wu-jian and rise towards Yu-shan itself." Having delivered the message, the person stops for a moment, reorienting themselves before continuing. "And the please for help is this: I know where we can start to find and end these dark forces, but i am limited. Will you aid me?"

Please post a short description of your character. You're welcome to say a line or two if you want beforethe figure arrives, but no more than that. Also, do say if you want to activate any occult or awareness charms or anything of the like while the figure speaks, in adition to anything you're doing after he asks for help.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sphar Kell

The one of their number presently staring with delighted incredulity at the gift of the moonsilver tablet was fairly tall, swathed in a voluminous dark cloak which appeared to cover up something bulky beneath, easy to surmise it was armor of some sort. There was an impressively large bundle of something fairly long secured to his back as well. His face was framed by rather close-cropped dark hair, and he was clean-shaven, fairly broad of jaw, and brown eyed. He had something of an open, honest look to him, and seemed fairly well built, though this was both obscured and, with a moment's thought, attested to with the presumed armor.

After a few moments perusing the tablet, he tucked it away somewhere within his robes, and turned to face their benefactor.

"Your gift has indebted me. Your warning has alerted me. Your plea for help has mobilised me. I am called Sphar Kell, and if what you say is true, you will have my aid in this."

Spending four motes to activate All-Encompassing Sorceror's Sight enhanced by Burning Eye of the Deliverer to see what is true.

Awareness: 3+1=4

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 20, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Nice Kien

When she spots others she recognizes, Nice Kien leaps down from her perch to land silently on the dock. She's a short, mousey looking woman with unkempt black hair, pasty skin, and ink-stained fingers. She wears a simple scholar's robe with black leggings and fingerless gloves -- or at least she was, although she's added a feathered festival mask and scarves -- and with her abacus and scroll-tubes she could pass for a scribe anywhere in Wu-Jian, if it weren't for her lack of affect and the way that she stares for an uncomfortable amount of time at people when they speak. She turns that stare full force on Uncounted Days as she accepts the abacus. She listens to its speech before turning to introduce herself.

"My name is Nice Kien. That is 'Nice' in the archaic meaning of 'scrupulous or fastidious', not 'kind.' It has been 137 days since I became anathema. I assume from the evidence that you all are as well?" This seems to be it as far as greetings go, because she lets the words hang in the air for just long enough to develop an uncomfortable silence before adding, "Hello, Sphar Kell. Hello, Wolf. It is good to see you again."

Then she turns to Uncounted Days. "137 is prime. This is fortuitous and a good omen. I accept your plea."

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 21, 2017

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Wolf of the Pits

Wolf clasps the rings in his hands for a moment, then hands one seemingly at random to August Petals of Jade. August Petals is dressed as a great eastern tree spirit with a mask of carved wood and feathers colored to look as leaves dangling from her costume, the only thing out of place is a great bow wrapped in sackcloth. Wolf is dressed as a wandering immaculate monk with heavy robes concealing his frame and a great wrapped... staff perhaps... or perhaps not that he was leaning upon.

Wolf then greats those he knows in turn.

"Greetings again Nice Kien, it is good to see you have survived."

"Hello once more Sphar, when this business is concluded, would you consider a rematch?"

He then turns to their host and judges the being while he speaks to it.

"Your gift is... welcome, your plea... will be considered, if these forces are not deserving of imprisonment then they are deserving to rise, if they will oppress Creation on their own I shall surely see them cast deeper into the pits."

(Throwing up sensory acuity prana for 5 motes excellency for 5motes, down to 3 personal.)

12 hot dang

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Fragrant Autumn Leaves

Fragrant Autumn Leaves stares at the mysterious figure as well as his sudden companions and wets his lips. There's something vaguely of the serpent about him, really, for all that he's dressed in nondescript robes. He wears a beard, in imitation of a gentleman, although it's wispy. He looks suspiciously at the figure. "You know us, but we do not know you. You come, bearing gifts and calling us Lawgivers, and fill us with tales of ancient horrors that only we can stop. How do you come to know of this?

Spending 3 motes to activate Judges Ear Technique for the response

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Sofia

With soft features, and a petite frame hidden by loose robes, one wouldn't expect a warrior of any description from a glance at Sofia. At best you might think she was a scholar. At present, she had adorned herself with a lightweight, decorative paper mask with a butterfly pattern.

Leafing through the pages at a glance, Sofia was impressed by the thoroughness of the listings. It would doubtless prove as an excellent reference, and yet... she couldn't help but feel a strange sense of familiarity. It bothered her somewhat, but she wasn't about to just ignore what she was just told.

"Well, it might not have been what I came here for, but I would be remiss to not look into this. For the time being, you have my aid."

Sofia looked around, and recognized that some of the other individuals gathered here seemed already familiar. "Ah, by the way, I go by Sofia. However long or short or acquaintance may be, I hope we get along."

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

The nodded to each response in turn, and spoke only when everyone had replied.
"I thank you all for your aid. As for your question, Lawgiver Fragrant Autumn Leaves, it is from my patron that have recieved this knowledge. Rest assured that neither I nor my patron hold any Ill will towards you, or any love for your enemies. I am afraid that I cannot speak more of my patron at this moment. He has forbidden it at this hour, but promises that he will speak to you once he can. Does that satisfy your questions?" They bow, and smile apologetically. You do not sense any untruths with judge's ear technique.

It's a short one, sorry. Will follow up once i get hope, but you're welcome to ask furhter questions in the meanwhile.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Nice Kien

Kien nods at Sophia, who seems agreeable, and Leaves, who seems troublesome.

"Will we need any special gear or disguises?" Nice Kien asks. "This place you propose to take us to; is it locked? Warded? Guarded?" Kien has her lockpicks, of course, for mundane locks, but when she fled the monatary there was not time to take one of the sets of specialized tuning forks, mirrors, and prayer scrolls that an actuarial assassin considered to be necessary for really fiendish locks. There had been a fashion, a few centuries ago, for wealthy merchants to acquire fiendishly sorcerers locks for their saferooms, a fad that had thankfully died out after some of the locks bit off their owner's fingers.

"If not, I am ready to travel."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Sphar Kell

He regarded their mutual benefactor thoughtfully for a few moments, occasionally glancing back at the point from which he had emerged. He raised his hand to his chin for a moment, lowered it, and asked,

"You have said, O Uncounted Days, that you may not speak more of your patron. We can respect that as you wish. Are you at liberty, at this place and time, to speak more of yourself? That you would seek us out in particular, that you hold us no animus, these tell of an intriguing tale in and of themselves. I would seek to learn what I can, especially given how much your choice of gifts indicates that you know of us already."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Fragrant Autumn Leaves

"And do we have your word that, whatever happens, we shall have safe passage into the meeting with your master, while we are meeting with him, and once we leave?"

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Uncounted days listened intenty to the questions, nodding politely at the approrpiate times, letting each speak in turn before asking.

"Lawgiver Sphar Kell, I will tell you what I can, but much of what you would know of me would also tell you of my patron, just as it would tell me much about The Most High to know of your nature. I will tell you, however, that i did not choose you, nor the gifts; these were provided to me, by my patron, though it as I who sent the messages.He did not tell me much of the gifts, merely that you would appreciate them, and he did not tell me much of you beyond your names, the fact that you are lawgivers, your professions, and that i should treat you with the utmost respect. As for me, I do not know what you wish to know that i can tell you. I am student of the Single Point Shining into the Void style and of the Immaculate Earth Dragon and Immaculate Water Dragon styles, and a master of the Immaculate Fire Dragon Style. I have been with my patron for many years as his aide, and he calls upon me no more than once or twice a year. It is he who taught me the immaculate draon styles, though he is no friend of the immaculates. I hope that helps satify your curiosity?"
He then turns to Autumn Leaves.
"Lawgiver Fragrant Autumn Leaves, I cannot speak for my patron, but he has only spoken well of you and given me no reason to believe that he intends you harm, quite the opposite. In either case, I will gladly go before him and ask for a promise of safe passage before you meet him, once such a thing approaches. Is that satisfactory?"

"As for where you can start finding and ending these forces, Lawgiver Kien, i will allow you to choose for yourself how you wish to approach it, as I am barred from interfering. It is not that i will not, it is that I cannot. The place is the base of operations for the Smuggler-Cult called Blodstained Rose. They are not, to my knowledge, conciously in league with the forces at hand, but their actions have set things in motion and caused the dark forces to act more freely than they could otherwise do. There, you may be able to find more clues and more information that i cannot grant you. The smugglers can be found on the easternmost part of the island, beneath the streets under the Market of Unearthly Delights."

Welp, that's it. Unless you have further questions, you should probably gather information, make plans, or just charge right in, depending on how you want to do things. You all probably know that the bloodstrained rose is one of the more powerful cult-gangs in wu-shan, and they are known to possess some sort of magic that gives them an edge over the others. Lore rolls can find out more or introduce facts.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 24, 2017

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Wolf of the Pits
Behind his armors mask Wolf has one eyebrow raised. The amount of martial arts knowledge that this person has is impressive, and their master in the arts would likely be more so. He is quite interested in meeting this mysterious patron at some point, a question is raised though.

Addressing Uncounted Days Wolf asks this. "You say your patron taught you the Immaculate Dragon Styles, where then did you gather your knowledge of Single Point Shining into the Void?"

Regardless of anything else Wolf intends to investigate the Cult-Gangs, such organizations tend to engage in the oppression of people and the slave trade and it is Wolfs intent to stamp out such enterprise.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Uncounted Days bows lightly to Wolf of the Pits and responds.
"Before I was elevated and taught by my patron, i was a student of the martial arts under The Blade Which Strikes Like Lightning in Brightwork, who was himself a son of the god Death Upon the Waves, who governs the warriors of the - " and here they make a noise which sounds like waves crashing voilently against a beach "- tribe"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Sphar Kell

Bloodstained Rose, Bloodstained Rose...

A pensive expression upon the smith's face, as he considered those at whose feet the genesis of this crisis potentially lay.

"I've heard tell the Bloodstained Rose are possessed of a certain magical edge, but I've yet to bear witness to it. Have any of you? I am something of a student of such matters..."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Nice Kien

"The Bloodstained Rose," Kien says, musing. "Yes, I have heard of them. They are the get and followers of a coterie of dockside gods; the Court of Narrow Ways." The monks of Numbered Fates keep track of the comings and goings of all local deities, within the best of their abilities; even the lives of the gods are subject to the skein of numeric fate. "A father and sixteen sons and daughters, who lay dubious claim to dominion over all the narrow passages of Wu-jian and those who move through them. They accept offerings in the form of lost and misplaced items, and grant benedictions in the form of opened routes and shortcuts. I could see how that would be a useful seed for a criminal organization, and the cause of our problem."

"Some of their members should be found in the passages near the docks. Should we go look for them? We could take one and interrogate them."

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 30, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Fragrant Autumn Leaves

"That would be wise, I think. It might also be useful, should anyone have any connections around the city, to use them to discover what is known about the cult. The more knowledge we have going in, the better."

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 26, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Sphar Kell

He nodded his assent: Though he was a fairly recent arrival in the scheme of things, there was much he could learn from seeing the cult in action.

"So be it. Let us seek them out, and seek knowledge of them and from them. Let's see if we can intercept them as you say."

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Sofia

"Mmm, works for me," Sofia mused, the wheels turning in her head.

"Roughly when and where did you all plan to meet up? I've got a couple things I wanna get to first, though I won't take long."

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 27, 2017

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Wolf of the Pits

"I believe Nice Kien's plan is the most workable outside of simply kicking in their front door and demanding to see the manager, as we have a complaint about the quality of the noodles they have been smuggling to our vendors or some other contrivance. We are I believe under a time limit before Calibration ends and Wu-Jian risks destruction." After giving those remarks Wolf once again falls silent.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

And so, the solar exalted set about caputring a cultist of the bloodstrained rose, and they worked efficiently. Under a pretense of wanting to speak regarding a delivery of spices, they gained access to a Flowering Ally, who oversees the distribution in a few blocks, of spices and drugs. Quickly, they incapacitated the three rowdy boys around him and spirited him away to a dark ally behind a warehouse, meeting up again with Sophia and her (still dematerialized) posse.
Your victim is middle-aged, and covered on all his body by blue, red, and black tattoes in intricate mosaics and occult lettering that, all together, seems to recall a... map? it doesn't seem to be a map of any particular thing, however, just a map of... something, and extend even to his eyes. He's wearing shabby clothes, but washed ones, and has already been disarmed of his two daggers. Amulets and talismans have been sown into the lining of his clothes.
One of you slams him against the side of the building. What informaiton do you want? Trivial information is easy to come by; anything important will probably need social rolls and intimidation checks.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Sphar Kell

He had the physique to be intimidating, but not the temperament: He could not really muster ill will towards this cultist. So, Sphar Kell traced the outlines of the amulets and talismans, turning his keen, lore-steeped mind towards discerning their purpose, origin and efficacy.

0 successes

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Nice Kien

Nice Kien rearranges her clothing and ties back her hair as she enters the alleyway where they’ve taken the prisoner. It’s amazing what a few subtle tugs and pulls can do to change the scholarly assassin into a desperate looking waif, and back again. Unfortunately, she ruins the illusion by opening her mouth and speaking in her usual clipped, precise tones.

“Hello,” she says brusquely. “Thank you for helping us with our inquiries. We will endeavor to make this experience as brief and pain-free as possible.” From a fold in her robes she pulls out a scroll tube, unrolling a length of rice paper; only Nice Kien would bring an itemized agenda to an interrogation. She takes out a stylus and checks off “Action item: Pleasantries” from the list.

“If you would be so good, would you answer the following questions: what is your name? What is your rank within the criminal organization popular known as the Bloodstained Rose? Where is your organization’s central meeting place, hideout, hole, den, or refuge? Who is your leader? What, to the best of your knowledge, are your organization’s plans for the upcoming calibration? Are they, to the best of your knowledge, currently engaged in or planning to engage in any actions likely to lead to the destabilization and-slash-or destruction of Wu-Jian; either the island, the city, its government, or some combination of the three? If you have any artistic or architectural inclinations, would you be willing to sketch, draw, or craft a lifelike and accurate map and-slash-or diorama of the interior of the aforementioned central meeting place, hideout, hole, den, or refuge? Would you be willing and able to provide us with a list of the upper management of your organization, along with their physical descriptions, unusual or supernatural abilities, and-slash-or fighting styles, within the best of your knowledge? Also are there any important valuables, religious icons, or ancient relics located on the premises?”

She checks off each question as she asks it. “Timely and accurate answers to these questions will greatly help us in our current endeavor and greatly reduce the likelyhood that you will suffer an unfortunate incident; e.g., myself stabbing you in the heart and dissolving your corpse into wisps of untraceable black smoke.” She poises the stylus over the page. “We may have more questions later, but this will serve for a conversation starter. Remember; accuracy and brevity can only enhance your interrogation experience, so please try to be truthful.”

“Now: start at the top?”

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Fragrant Autumn Leaves

Fragrant watches Nice Kien attempt to interrogate the prisoner, and tries to keep the smirk off his face. Maybe she'll get something out of him, after all. Much as he'd like to contribute, it would be a bad idea. Interrogations by more than one could work, but only when the interrogators had experience working closely with each other. Otherwise, they'd talk at cross purposes and just confuse the suspect. So, he waits for now.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 31, 2017

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

The man looked perplexedly at Kien for a moment, and the perplexion turned... something else, as kien mentioned the stabbing of hearts. The man stammered a bit in is reply, but there was something resolute in his eyes.
"I-I'm Cheung-yun. I'm a Flowering Alley, an my mother is a god of the court of Narrow ways. Our secret ways are numerous as the stars in the sky and the fish in the oceans, but i am no traitor to my Family. You will not know our secret ways from me."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Sphar Kell

Unable to get a good read of the amulets, the Smith took a look with eyes beyond mortal ken.

Spending four motes to activate All-Encompassing Sorceror's Sight enhanced by Burning Eye of the Deliverer to see what is true.

His eyes flicked across the man's tattoos with interest, his gaze piercing and thoughtful.

Trying to discern the lock for which the tattoos are the key=5

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 2, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Fragrant Autumn Leaves

"Noble Cheng-Yun, we would not dare to inquire about your family's secrets. Please, my friend, forgive I and my companions your mishandling. We would not dare to mistreat one of your exalted rank, nor would we seek to pry out the secrets of your family, which you so cleverly protect. We wish merely, for the sake of the safety of the city, wish to arrange a meeting with those in the Order of the Bloodstained Rose, so that we might approach them with a matter of mutual importance. Please, forgive the rashness of my companions.

Spending 3 motes, activating Ten Magistrate's Eyes, profiling him. Three successess

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Fragrant Autumn Leaves

"Great and noble Lord, we come seeking a boon from you. This is Calibration, and this time, of all times, all of Creation is endangered. We are seeking those that we believe seek to do harm to the city, and indeed to everyone. It may be, we fear, that among those are those who pretend friendship with your family who seek only to use them and ensnare them in their plots Your family is, I fear, in danger from those they think are their friends. It may be a false lead, but is it a thing that either you or I could risk? We in our company are, of course, unworthy of your attention, but by helping us, you may help to save your esteemed parents and siblings, and strike a blow against those who would manipulate them."

Trying to instill an intimacy of "Wanting to Help Us, triggered off his intimacy to his family. Spending 3 Essence on Listener Swaying Argument
3 successes+1 for the charm=4 successes

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Wolf of the Pits

All this time Wolf has been calmly holding up Cheng-Yun by a single hand pressing the god-blood against the wall, at this time he releases the man from the hold allowing him to fall fowards into the circle of exalts surrounding him. "More so," Wolf begins to speak, his every motion implying grace, power, and the ability to solve problems. "Once the powers who seek to manipulate your family have finished with their use, your family will be cast down and broken, as will Wu-Jian, and then they will move against the heavens themselves. And I give you my word of honor that we do not seek to steal your secret ways from you and yours."

(activating 7 mote indefinite harmonious presence mediation for 7 personal motes, then throwing up my 2(3-1) mote listener swaying argument, presene of 4 + charisma of 5 + 3 from hpm for 12 dice +1 sux from lsa

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

The man looked between Wolf and Autumn Leaves for a moment. Then he nods to himself and seems to grow more resolute.
"We... have found a... Well, found something. I.." His voice quakes, for a moment "I can't tell you exactly what, and if i could, i would not. Our hideout is hidden, and open only to those of the Blood. I can lead you there, and arrange a meeting with our leader, Unending Gutters. There's been some... unease, lately. She might want to know what you know."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Nice Kien

"This is probably a trap," Kien notes neutrally. She has been idly taking notes on this criminal conspiracy on a wax tablet, and now she sets down her stylus. "But I approve nonetheless. It gains us entrance and puts us one more step closer to our goal; a net gain on our part, even if it sparks a battle." She lowers her head and goes back to taking notes. "Tell us more of Unending Gutters. Is she a blood relative? A god? Both?"

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

The man nods. "Yes, a god; Unending Gutters is the leader of the Court of Narrow Ways. She is our leader, and it is to her that we give sacrifices."

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

(Moving on as noone seems to complain)
"Well, in any case, let me take you there," says the man, and leads you along. You insist to tie a rope to him, to which he readily agrees. He does not lead you far, though; two streets over, the man turns down an alley. There, he walks up to a small, almost unnoticable piece of grafitti. He touches his hand to it, tenderly, and whispered a word. And then.. The world changes, Grows darker and the walls grow closer; the wide street you'd entered from was now another, smaller alley. The man nods at you and hands you all a rope, then asks you to hold it, then leads you through an incomprehensible maze of tiny alleys, often through narrow gaps or under holes in walls or over rubble or even through basements and covered gutters. Eventually, he turned down into a basement and.... Something changed, again, and you found yourself in a large room, cold and damp, with walls of compressed dirt and clay, but painted. A door leads out another way, and voices can be heard behind it. At this, the man turns to you.
"This is our Den, then. Please, wait here, and I will make the appropriate offerings to Undending Gutters and seek an audition on your behalf."
Do you agree to this, and if so, what do you do while waiting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Wolf of the Pits

Wolf and August Petals lean against one of the damp walls of clay and allow their new "ally" time to make his offerings. If this is indeed a trap and not as it seems, they will be ready to strike out in righteous violence upon their enemies.

• Locked thread