Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

victrix posted:

.oO (I should play Immortals instead of more Valhalla)

it's not a bad game. maybe just be careful not burn out by insisting on doing everything before moving the story forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Forgotten Saga was pretty fun and a much better attempt at a rogue-lite mode than the Far Cry 6 DLC. Took me four runs to complete it and a partial fifth to get the last two trophies I needed.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"That's a nice fish. In my pocket you go with all the others."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilitarist posted:

All this reminiscence of Origins pushed me into trying to play Curse of the Pharaohs. Previously I've started it but was chased away by undead (teleports behind you) Pharaohs. Like how can people talk about Odyssey and Valhalla beasts and mythological places being immersion breaking after that?

probably because curse of the pharaohs is an optional dlc while valhalla's silly mythological poo poo is much more part of the main story

also, valhalla takes itself more seriously imo, and that doesnt work well.

i dont remember it being too bad in odyssey tho

while i love origins, i find odyssey has the most replay-ability because its easy to just jump in and do random quests for a bit or switch a province from red to blue or vice versa in your own sort of little capsule greek mercenary story, without having anything to do with the main plot. its very fun to play casually, and provides a lot more roleplaying opportunities that are tied to the era rather than ac metanarrative crap

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 6, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea I def burnt myself out in Odyssey by getting way too distracted doing sidestuff.

Bayek is the coolest cos he couldn't give less of a poo poo about being an assassin.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Earwicker posted:

probably because curse of the pharaohs is an optional dlc while valhalla's silly mythological poo poo is much more part of the main story

also, valhalla takes itself more seriously imo, and that doesnt work well.

I dunno. Almost every side quest in Valhalla is Yakuza style farce. In Origins Curse of the Pharaohs in three separate quests a character asks Bayek why does he care and he gives a performance talking about how he saw what tomb-robbing can do. He chased tomb robbers through Egypt (Bayek, the famous non-tomb-raider, also owner of the Is armor). Origins don't do seriousness terrible but still it's a story with many more dead children than I'd prefer.

So yeah, it's very serious, the undead are real, not some animus glitch, Bayek really does go into the realm of the dead.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 7, 2022

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

ilitarist posted:

So yeah, it's very serious, the undead are real, not some animus glitch, Bayek really does go into the realm of the dead.

Does he ride his chocobo there or no

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

acidx posted:

Does he ride his chocobo there or no

I'm glad you asked. You have a special undead horse in there and thus can't use a Chocobo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't think 'the undead are real due to isu magic' is that controversial, really, since the sequel is 'you have magic powers due to isu magic'. Even AC2 has a finale where you run around doing telepathic murder with a magic golden orb for an hour or so.

I mean maybe for the 'remove any references to the modern day and also stop making the game about assassins :mad:' crowd but I always saw all the ancient aliens mystical stuff as part of the fun.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Yeah, one of the things I like the best about the OOV trilogy is the idea that the Isu didn't just inspire myths about the gods, they were the gods, and all mythology is true.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean maybe for the 'remove any references to the modern day and also stop making the game about assassins :mad:' crowd but I always saw all the ancient aliens mystical stuff as part of the fun.

For me mythical stuff is a refreshing change from your usual portrayal of historical characters. Usually a historical hero has a modern progressive agnostic view on everything and it's tiring. In Odyssey the eagle bearer can be cynical about gods but it's more like gods are bastards who won't help us. So portraying the mythology is also portraying people's mentality. I'm not sure if Egyptians literally believed that in afterlife there are ships swimming through fields, but it's a cool image. And it's clear they wouldn't find far fetched the idea that an angry pharaoh can start a murderous rampage.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Thoroughly enjoying a replay of Black Flag, but its deeply disappointing in the nine years since its release no other pirate game has topped it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The corpse of Suck and Blows has recently started moving again but everybody hates it lol. And I'm sure everyone would have loved Blag Flag ship back in the day, however half-assed, so they literally killed a guaranteed moneymaker for something nobody wants.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

other than black flag, the only other pirate game i ever really enjoyed was the original sid meier's pirates! and the ios reboot of it from like a decade ago

its weird because youd think the setting would lend itself really well to video games

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still bummed that the ios port doesn't seem to be available anymore, it was a great phone game. It had to remove the land combat minigame, and replaced it with just straight RNG as far as i could tell, and I'm not sure if that's a downgrade or not, that was never the fun part of the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably got lost in the 32 bit purge

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Earwicker posted:

other than black flag, the only other pirate game i ever really enjoyed was the original sid meier's pirates! and the ios reboot of it from like a decade ago

its weird because youd think the setting would lend itself really well to video games

Sea of thieves is fun if you have a good group of friends and a bunch of time to kill

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Earwicker posted:

The Monkey Island series would like a word with you

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I should really give Black Flag a try after buying it for like $4 over a year ago. I feel like I liked the ship sequences of both AC3 and Odyssey more than the rest of both games, there's just...not enough there. It feels like an afterthought, even if crashing through a thunderstorm and taking down random pirate ships is probably the best part of Odyssey for me lol

In other news, I ended up finishing Valhalla's Siege of Paris DLC and it....kinda sucks! The lead-up positioned itself as vikings going HAM on Paris and then Eivor spends the entire plot trying to avoid killing anybody and negotiating peace, culminating in a half-baked gimmicky boss fight with weird stakes. The Druids DLC at least had the courtesy to give you some extremely overpowered armor/weapons alongside its half-baked plot, but Paris is mostly scythes that are middling at best.

The one conceptually neat thing they do is bring back the elaborate assassinations from prior games as an alternative to just walking in and killing everyone, but they're so heavily signposted you're not really stumbling upon them so much as following a different set of quest markers. It's also pretty short for an AC game which is kind of a plus in its own right, but in a way where the map is still too big, its just a lot sparser than usual.

So I guess my recommendation is....don't play the DLC? Or if you do, play the Druids DLC to get the ridiculous heal-on-hit armor/lightning spear combo to steamroll the rest of the game, and then skip Paris.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea the siege of Paris was dog poo poo.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'm the kind of person who enjoys story-less (or justified with a light story a la my son needs a cure that can only be made from 10 bear asses) activities as long as they have a sense of gameplay purpose, numbers go up and so on. In Valhalla all feeling of character progress is gone after your power level is measured in hundreds, and you don't care about new items except for ore and leather. I will probably not enjoy Valhalla DLCs cause it doesn't sound like they add anything in that area and the story itself is not great.

Origins Curse of the Pharaohs is cool though. Surprisingly big. I've dealt with two pharaohs and each one was a legitimately interesting boss fight, even requiring me to adjust my equipment. The real-world map feels like Origins best hits: it has empty space where it's supposed to be empty instead of filler. After Odyssey, it feels like the fortresses are too small in that game in general: sometimes you want to crack open a huge keep where going in guns blazing will definitely get you killed. Origins has fewer places like that so stealth feels much more optional.

I do wonder where the story goes and how is Bayek is so level-headed. After visiting two realms of the gods he tells the priestess it was all an illusion. His justification is that he knows those ancient artifacts are causing illusion and also he's alive so gods wouldn't let him go back. But it's not clear at all what exactly happens then, he takes physical objects to this illusion world and leaves them there and it somehow fixes things?..

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ilitarist posted:

I do wonder where the story goes and how is Bayek is so level-headed. After visiting two realms of the gods he tells the priestess it was all an illusion. His justification is that he knows those ancient artifacts are causing illusion and also he's alive so gods wouldn't let him go back. But it's not clear at all what exactly happens then, he takes physical objects to this illusion world and leaves them there and it somehow fixes things?..

I think Bayek is the exact right level of religious zealot that I could see him taking 'gods make crazy poo poo happen but also most of it was a trick' at face value and then just carrying on with his day.

I haven't actually played the Pharaohs DLC, but I did play the first one (the Hidden Ones I think?) and its actually a pretty good microcosm of the larger game: a decently meaty main quest about killing evil Romans, some heartfelt sidequests, some wacky ones, etc.

In Valhalla, both DLCs are missing some notable element from the main game. Druids lacks the little world mysteries that are fun to stumble across and only has psilocybin mushrooms (that mostly lead to combat challenges) and every town only has drinking challenges and that paper chasing minigame. Paris goes one step further and removes drinking games and psilocybin mushrooms, leaving only the paper chasing minigame and stacking rocks. They technically added mysteries back, but each one is basically reading a letter. Both DLCs removed orlog entirely, which is a cruelty beyond measure.

I guess you could say Origins was so light on minigames/etc there was less to strip out, but I think the DLC still felt pretty meaty. Now if I can get around to actually playing Odyssey's DLC after finally getting to the area it starts in a months ago I can have the full Layla trilogy experience...

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
I bounced hard off Siege of Paris trying to grind out the resistance missions. Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems to be an awful, grindy system designed to lengthen the content at the expense of enjoyment. Definitely would've enjoyed the DLC more without that system.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

I haven't actually played the Pharaohs DLC, but I did play the first one (the Hidden Ones I think?) and its actually a pretty good microcosm of the larger game: a decently meaty main quest about killing evil Romans, some heartfelt sidequests, some wacky ones, etc.

Yes, The Hidden Ones was just that, but it was smaller in size and like didn't add anything at all to the formula and also lacked cool landmarks. Curse has Pharaoh invaders from Ultima 5 and several mythological worlds. Mind you those worlds aren't *that* wild, it's mostly cleverly reused assets, but still otherworldly and cool. I didn't play it to the end but at the moment it feels to me like the best AC DLC. I still think Odyssey mythological DLCs have the greatest maps ever but their story is a slog. And it's the same as you've said about Valhalla in terms of gameplay elements. Odyssey mythological expansions lack hidden cultists and mercenaries and ship combat.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Drunken_Pirate posted:

I bounced hard off Siege of Paris trying to grind out the resistance missions. Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems to be an awful, grindy system designed to lengthen the content at the expense of enjoyment. Definitely would've enjoyed the DLC more without that system.

I did them to get the complete rebel armor set and yeah, it really is just going to the same six areas over and over like twenty times. No big finish, no unique missions, etc. Unfortunately the set's bonus is functionally worthless (heal on assassinate) so its really only there if you want to look like a Ringwraith for a little bit. Definite podcast gameplay lol

There's a similar system in the Druids DLC, kingly favors or something, but it only rewards money so I wasn't compelled to grind it out :shrug:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I was super pissed off when I went to all the effort to get the magic valhalla sword and it's unusable because every hit creates an enormous blinding flash on the screen.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Finished the Curse of the Pharaohs DLC. If you want to buy a DLC for Assassin's Creed game this is the one to get. I might like some other DLC ideas more but this one has the least amount of bullshit.

The only thing that may be a little bit of BS is bossfights. On Nightmare the final boss had an unblockable attack that one-shot me even though I'm on max level, have max level gear and just 1 step behind max upgrades of health equipment. I've abandoned the idea of fighting bosses fairly in this expansion. Devs knew you'd want to run around bosses and throw arrows and bombs at them so they added a skill that constantly replenishes your ammunition while you're in Duat where all the boss fights happen.

In this expansion phylakies are replaced with Anubises and I find it hilarious how shadows of the god arrive at the signal fire and help locals hunt Bayek. Story-wise it makes no sense as those undead pharaohs and shadows are supposed to kill people at random. In general it's not quite clear how undead pharaohs function as the Isu tech is nowhere near them but whatever.

I've reached max level long before the end of expansion and I like how the game handles it. You can still get skillpoints, but no stats upgrade beyond that. You can concentrate on crafting better equipment so there is still a point in exploring the world. There are those god challenges (they are rotated for the sake of engagement and this is a cardinal sin) and elephants are still very tough.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
:agreed:

Origins DLC best DLC

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

At last I got to AC Odyssey Crossover DLC. Wanted to replay the vanilla in a fairly completionist way.

It feels very different from Odyssey. I'm not sure if Valhalla team worked on it but it feels like that. Even the map design reminds me of Valhalla: I can't quite put a finger on it. It's like Odyssey and its expansions were dedicated to Skyrim-like idea of world density. You know, everywhere you go you should be in a 30 second distance from a point of interest. Odyssey also tried to cleverly use geography to make the world feel bigger than it was, kinda like Morrowind with all those cliffs and slopes and rivers. The Island of Korfu is more like Origins and Valhalla: points of interest are more spread out which is somewhat compensated by a number of chests and items that are just lying there in the middle of nowhere.

It sounds like I'm praising Origins and Valhalla design, but I think it kinda only works in an isolated location like this Korfu island. Origins and Valhalla felt to me like misrepresentations of their scale: Valhalla's England is probably bigger than Greece but you can see a lot of it from any vantage point. Origins are especially bad in that regard cause Pyramids and the Lighthouse always looming in the distance always remind you how small the world really is. So it might just be the different environment in which devs worked. The tutorial island of the original game was somewhat similar in that it had a lot of smaller unmarked points of interest and didn't feel like a collection of places.

But Odyssey systems are designed to provide good entertainment even in a boring autogenerated wilderness. Here there are no mercenaries and sidequests so it feels like a big level rather than an open world. What sells me is location design: it's somehow the best in the series. It feels somewhat unnatural cause all the locations are filled with clutter you can effectively use to run around but it's a joy. And the writing is good too. I think devs read the forums so they finally spell out what those mythical monsters you fight actually are. It also looks like a hook for future infinite game. From character progression side there are plenty of engravings and artifacts with very unique effects allowing for gimmicky gameplay. Like +100% damage to headshots but -100% to both warrior and assassin damage.

I have not finished the expansion yet but I thoroughly recommend it to everyone. The story requires you to know all there is to know from the Atlanis expansion, but if you don't have a save lying around you can start it at any point after finishing the tutorial island.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's funny that Kassandra is supposedly this pinnacle of Isu eugenics but the dlc makes clear she has no powers of her own, all her abilities came from the spear or the bird or, later, the staff

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
err but she does have one super power?

taking no fall damage :D

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Kuiperdolin posted:

It's funny that Kassandra is supposedly this pinnacle of Isu eugenics but the dlc makes clear she has no powers of her own, all her abilities came from the spear or the bird or, later, the staff

Isu eugenics probably focused on using Isu tech really well. Throughout the series we can see how the villains (and Shay) are very bad at handling Isu tech, and Odyssey has doubled down on it. This plot point is probably another thing devs wanted to spell out: all the fancy demigod moves are still historical, because they're coming from Isu tech! Without this tech, Kassandra is just your usual AC hero from a proper historical game who can fall from a great height, climb a 3-store building, supernaturally see stuff, be stabbed 20 times without issue and so on.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

She can't supernaturally see stuff, though (except through the bird). And it's not just gameplay vs story - the Scotland DLC makes it clear that Eivor can see things through the eagle vision and Kassandrab can't.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I haven't played the Valhalla part yet.

True, she can't use Athena vision anymore. Kassandra is confirmed as the weakest AC protagonist.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

ilitarist posted:

Like +100% damage to headshots but -100% to both warrior and assassin damage.

I think I ended up with 100% crit chance and over 600% crit damage. Which was fun.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Are there any good mods for Odyssey? I have it installed through I play so I don’t know if that’s an option but I’m curious what, if anything, is out there.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

judging by the game's nexus page: unless you want the game to be more historically accurate in terms of nudity, no.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Whorelord posted:

judging by the game's nexus page: unless you want the game to be more historically accurate in terms of nudity, no.

For once, the horny modders kind of have a point i guess

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Devs went out of their way to create a quest constructor for the game. Don't know what they expected, but the result was mostly XP farming quests which devs ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It would be cool if there were like a 'show user created quests but not the XP farms or obvious fetish ones' toggle